Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Citizen using a non Irish Passport

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yeah I guess it's more for holders of other EU citizenships who don't want to carry 2 documents with them when they travel.

I have another EU citizenship and it was especially true before we had passport cards here in Ireland: my other EU ID card would fit in my wallet but the Irish passport wouldn't, so I wasn't using my Irish passport to travel within Europe and hence entering Ireland with my other EU ID card when returning to Ireland.

There could also be circumstances where you need to travel on your other document for legal reasons. For example if you are travelling with a non-EU family member who holds a Stamp 4 EU Fam they get visa free access to the EU but only as long as you are travelling with them as an EU but non Irish citizen (there are exceptions whereby it would be OK to be Irish, but that is the general rule).

But those are really first world problems :-)
    Just to clarify, specifically in relation to the US, you are only required to use your US passport entering into and leaving the USA; i.e. you use it going into the US and you use it leaving the US at the airport, but you are not required to use it entering Ireland. You use your Irish passport entering Ireland and you are then free to leave your US passport in the drawer and use your Irish passport going everywhere else in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

GSRNBP wrote: »
    I'm a dual Irish/US citizen and I've been travelling back and forth multiple times a year for over a decade (as an adult tax-payer) and I've literally never once been asked about my tax affairs or had to prove anything in relation to tax.
    They're not interested at US border control in whether US citizens resident abroad are or are not compliant with their US tax obligations. That doesn't mean, though, that non-residents may not find US tax obligations burdensome, and may renounce their US citizenship in order to simplify their tax affairs.

XVII wrote: »
    If a country officially recognises dual citizenship, you can enter it as a national of another country.
    Ireland does recognise it, so it should be possible to enter as national of another country, even if you possess Irish citizenship. This is the definition of dual citizenship basically.

US don't officially recognise it, so that's why you have to enter as US national.

Is this not the way it always was?
    Ths US does recognise dual nationality, in the sense that they have no objection to US citizens acquiring or holding the citizenship of another country. This is exactly the same as in Ireland.

Neither country, however, likes to afford you any special privileges or treatment on the basis of your other citizenship. As far as US law is concerned, all US citizens are equal and they stand in the same relationship to the US government as one another. Thus being a citizen of Teapotistan as well is, as far as your relations with the US government are concerned, an irrelevance; it won't get you any special treatment from US government agencies. Again, the same is broadly true in Ireland.

The US does have a rule, or at least a policy, requiring US citizens to employ a US passport when entering or leaving the United States. They are indifferent as to what passport their citizens use when entering or leaving other countries; it is none of their business.

Ireland, SFAIK, has no such policy. I am a dual Irish/Australian citizen and I have entered Ireland a number of times on my Australian passport (because I was too disorganised to arrange the renewal of my Irish passport in good time); there was no problem. On at least one occasion my Irish place of birth was noted and, far from upbraiding me for failing to present an Irish passport, the INIS officer welcomed me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They're not interested at US border control in whether US citizens resident abroad are or are not compliant with their US tax obligations. That doesn't mean, though, that non-residents may not find US tax obligations burdensome, and may renounce their US citizenship in order to simplify their tax affairs.
    Ok, but that's not the conversation that we're having... so?

GSRNBP wrote: »
    Ok, but that's not the conversation that we're having... so?
    Edgecase in post #40 mentioned a friend who had surrendered US citizen in favour of French citizenship, "for tax reasons" (among others). Nonresident US citizens are liable to US tax, so it's not uncommon for them to renounce US citizenship to avoid this liablity.

You replied in post #44 saying that you had been travelling back and forth multiple times, and had never been asked about your tax affairs.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but some boardies might have thought from that that US citizens tax liablities are a particular issue when travelling in and out of the US. They are not. People don't surrender their US citizenship to make travelling easier; they renounce it to avoid a liablity to US income tax which they would otherwise have, regardless of whether they ever travelled.

Renunciation of US citizenship has increased in recent years, since in many countries banks are reluctant to open accounts for US citizens, since this brings them into the net of US moneylaundering regulations, and they don't want the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Peregrinus wrote: »

Renunciation of US citizenship has increased in recent years, since in many countries banks are reluctant to open accounts for US citizens, since this brings them into the net of US moneylaundering regulations, and they don't want the hassle.

How would they know, in the case of dual citizens?

A Work Colleague from Romania told me about (while travelling to Romania from Hungary, before they joined the EU) having to pay a fee because he had his irish passport only, and the arguing in Romanian with the Romanian border guard, who didn't care that a Romanian person was using an non-Romanian passport to enter (as long as they paid)

How would they know, in the case of dual citizens?
    They ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

OSI wrote: »
    Dual UK/Irish citizen and have both passports and have entered both countries using the others passport without issue countless times.

You don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. Unless traveling through Dublin I hardly ever show any ID never mind a passport travelling between both countries.

You don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. Unless traveling through Dublin I hardly ever show any ID never mind a passport travelling between both countries.
    I think OSI is referring to the situation when he arrives in the UK or Ireland from a third country. He can enter either the UK or Ireland on either a UK or Irish passport - no drama.

• Advertisement
Advertisement