Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car emissions device, would you hire one?

Options
  • 08-07-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone, hope life is good for you whatever you are at!

So I was thinking about renting out handheld car emission testers for people buying a car? This tester would give you an accurate reading in real time and you would know straight away if the engine has healthy emissions.

Would this kind of service be something that anybody would find helpful??

All feedback very welcome!

Thanks for reading and would enjoy hearing your thoughts

Would you hire a handheld car emission tester for €40 to test a car? 1 vote

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How would you deliver it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 the real cappawhite

By Post I think, if they were in the Dublin Area I would meet but would have to be post other then that

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How many testing machines would you plan on needing?

What happens if you don’t get one back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It would be broken within a week.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How many testing machines would you plan on needing?

What happens if you don’t get one back?

Not a whole pile, I'd say a small enough number of units to start off with.

I was thinking about that issue if they were not sent back or broken, not really sure of how to secure that. Would anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    It would be broken within a week.

But let's just persume it doesn't break, would it be something useful to be able hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, I don't think it would work.
    You could offer a house-calling emissions test service though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There might be drive-by emissions tests here soon - if you "pass" you just get a notification you don't have to attend a conventional test

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't think it would work.
    You could offer a house-calling emissions test service though?

Thanks for feedback Biko, would you think call out would be better way of doing it? I suppose it takes the risk out of the machine being broken.

See I was going out looking at an Audi TT that had been remapped up to 280bhp and one thing I was suspicious about was the emissions and thought of this idea

gctest50 wrote: »
    There might be drive-by emissions tests here soon - if you "pass" you just get a notification you don't have to attend a conventional test

That's pretty interesting gctest, thanks for the comment!

Guards could do some Double Baggin' for alcohol and emissions then ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sure the NCT check your emissions every twelve months for you for €55 as it is, I don't think I'd have anymore need for it than that.

Sure the NCT check your emissions every twelve months for you for €55 as it is, I don't think I'd have anymore need for it than that.

That's true Toyotafanboi, definitely would see your point.

Is it possible tho it could be useful with some older motors just to be sure or some performance vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People won't spend the money on the most basic of finance checks or getting a mechanic to check over the car. So I doubt many will pay for an emissions test when they don't care about anything else when buying a car.

Del2005 wrote: »
    People won't spend the money on the most basic of finance checks or getting a mechanic to check over the car. So I doubt many will pay for an emissions test when they don't care about anything else when buying a car.

Thanks for your comment Del2005, appreciate hearing your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Del2005 wrote: »

Thats not just when buying the car either. I have often heard of people idiots talking about saving money on a car by not servicing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

On some cars (such as mine), the engine malfunction light only comes on when the fault is something would affect the exhaust emissions. So, as long as the light isn't on, I'm assuming I don't need to worry about it passing an NCT (for the emissions part at any rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I would rent one if price was €10.
    €40 is way too much for me for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get a professional scan for 50 or so, with a high-end tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

On some cars (such as mine), the engine malfunction light only comes on when the fault is something would affect the exhaust emissions. So, as long as the light isn't on, I'm assuming I don't need to worry about it passing an NCT (for the emissions part at any rate).

Unfortunately that is not how it works

Advertisement