Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also, Galway's keeper is going to have major questions asked of his kickouts on Sunday. Has not covered himself in glory in similar situations previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

keane2097 wrote: »
    Also, Galway's keeper is going to have major questions asked of his kickouts on Sunday. Has not covered himself in glory in similar situations previously.

That aspect of their game has improved immensely over the year. Walsh was getting a lot of flack from Galway supporters about kickouts and conceding the bulk of possession around the centre. Stats would indicate they have addressed that.

Have only seen Kerry against ourselves - when they were dreadful -and on TV including the annihilation of Cork. Certainly better in key positions so will be intriguing game to watch. Kerry probably more likely to get goals.

How were the fixtures for phases 2 & 3 of the Super 8s decided? Why are Dublin going to Tyrone and not to Roscommon for example? Was there a draw to decide this?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That aspect of their game has improved immensely over the year. Walsh was getting a lot of flack from Galway supporters about kickouts and conceding the bulk of possession around the centre. Stats would indicate they have addressed that.

Have only seen Kerry against ourselves - when they were dreadful -and on TV including the annihilation of Cork. Certainly better in key positions so will be intriguing game to watch. Kerry probably more likely to get goals.

You mean since the start of '18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How were the fixtures for phases 2 & 3 of the Super 8s decided? Why are Dublin going to Tyrone and not to Roscommon for example? Was there a draw to decide this?

It was decided before the championship started based on who won the final qualifier round as in winner of the match involving the Leinster loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

According to Treoir Oigifuil CCC shall make the draw for phases 2 and 3. It was widely reported before the weekend that Dublin were either going to Cork or Tyrone so they must have already done the draw

salmocab wrote: »
    It was decided before the championship started based on who won the final qualifier round as in winner of the match involving the Leinster loser

Anyone confirm or refute this? I've seen several journalists and others suggest they switched the home and away games half way through the qualifiers.

e.g. that Kerry were originally slotted to have the Monaghan game at home and Kildare away but it got switched around for some unknown reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Galway will likely have 6 changes from the side that was comfortably beaten by Kerry last season. That game centered around Donaghy dominating the Galway full back who's no longer on the panel, with the thus far very good O'Ceallaigh replacing, and completely dominating midfield through a fabulous exhibition of kickouts from their keeper (Kelly I believe) and a terrible plan from Galway of lumping it down the middle by Power where they were eaten alive. Two different keepers on Sunday, although im not suggesting Murphy will be a downgrade on Kelly. Galway have been a bit better on kickouts stratgey this year with Lavelle showing a degree of comptenece. They will likely play 3 around the middle this time and Flynn in particular looks a different player aerially this year, although Duggan is missing which is a loss.

Galways full back line is more shored up. Kerin has been superb and performed very well on JOD last year. Geaney v O'Ceallaigh will be a great battle although you'd obviously favor the countries top forward at present. Just hoping Clifford doesn't have a breakout game in Kyne. Ian Burke's movement was one of the few problems Kerry had last year and two goals shouldve come from that. Walsh had a shocker, so Galway will need a performance there similar to the Connacht final. I think Galway can get some joy if they can break even around the middle.

Ultimately I'd much rather be playing Kerry in a provincial ground rather than the open space of Croker where they may just catch fire. At the same time I think they're much better placed to at least challenge them this year. Last year's game had a forgone conclusion feel to it even beforehand. Galway played a rather similar Kerry side in the league in Tralee and weren't flattered by a 3 point victory. If they come with the same dogged mindset they've shown thus far this year it could be a super contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Kerry and Glaway, Dublin and Roscommon. SF scores of Kerry 2-25 Roscommon 5-18 and Dublin 0-10 Galway 0-11. Roscommon to win AIF in an all Connacht affair and people of Mayo unable to decide who to cheer for

• Advertisement

You mean since the start of '18?

Yeah, over the course of the league and championship so far, although looked a bit flaky for a while against Rossies.

I reckon Walsh had a plan which he stuck to even when they were getting beaten last year. Almost a gamble on his players learning through adversity. Midfield has come on greatly, they are breaking fast, and kickouts yielding more primary possession. Was very impressed with them both days against Dublin.

Has worked so far, but Kerry in Croke Park in July is another level so be interesting to see how they cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anyone confirm or refute this? I've seen several journalists and others suggest they switched the home and away games half way through the qualifiers.

e.g. that Kerry were originally slotted to have the Monaghan game at home and Kildare away but it got switched around for some unknown reason.

The wallchart on gaa.ie has for ages shown the format of the super 8s. For example it had Munster Winner v Connaught Winner in R1 in Croke Park, Leinster Runner Up/R3 winner v Kerry in R2, Kerry v Ulster Runner Up/R3 winner in R3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

The GAA has confirmed the arrangements for next weekend's All-Ireland Super 8 fixtures.
    Saturday July 14

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final Group Stage
    Group 2 | Phase 1

Roscommon v Tyrone, Croke Park, 5pm, SKY

Dublin v Donegal, Croke Park, 7pm, RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I thought we would know about the other Super 8 times and dates today as well, but all quiet on that front.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I thought we would know about the other Super 8 times and dates today as well, but all quiet on that front.

Up on the RTE site now.

Sunday July 15
    Group 1 | Phase 1

Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 2pm, SKY
    Kerry v Galway, Croke Park, 4pm, RTE

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0709/977428-gaa-confirm-times-and-venues-for-weekend-fixtures/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Up on the RTE site now.

Sunday July 15
    Group 1 | Phase 1

Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 2pm, SKY
    Kerry v Galway, Croke Park, 4pm, RTE

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0709/977428-gaa-confirm-times-and-venues-for-weekend-fixtures/
    I meant the fixtures for Round 2 and Round 3.

Want to see if we are up to Clones on Saturday or Sunday

• Advertisement

Sorry.:o

Hoganstand.com showing aload of 'tbcs' for that weekend unfortunately.

That'd be very handy to know. All depends on what day they want to send the Dubs up to Omagh I suppose. Id prefer if the Kerry Galway group was the Saturday that week, although that would mean a 6 day turnaround so I'm guessing they keep Group 1 to Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Tickets got for lower Hogan for Saturday evening. Donegal don't travel particularly well outside a final or semi. Couldn't imagine it too busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Bonniedog wrote: »

I would argue the opposite. Galway have been miserly in coughing up goal opportunities this year and kerry have been wide open at the back even shippng two in minutes against a hopeless cork team.

threeball wrote: »
    I would argue the opposite. Galway have been miserly in coughing up goal opportunities this year and kerry have been wide open at the back even shippng two in minutes against a hopeless cork team.

Fair point. Scratch that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was changed the week of 'Newbridgegate'.

Was always scheduled that if Roscommon got through it would be v Dublin in The Hyde. It's in the official annual diary and was discussed in the Roscommon Herald after the Connacht final.

Probably changed due to the 18,500 capacity of The Hyde.

I wonder will there be a minimum standard introduced for this phase next year.

GAA also need to fix times for the last 2 rounds as a courtesy. People have other stuff to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

KevRossi wrote: »

Was always scheduled that if Roscommon got through it would be v Dublin in The Hyde. It's in the official annual diary and was discussed in the Roscommon Herald after the Connacht final.

GAA also need to fix times for the last 2 rounds as a courtesy. People have other stuff to plan.

For the 5000 Dubs who might actually travel? Even less will go to Omagh due to lack of a train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Are you sure? I was told month ago that we would playing loser of Munster final v winner of qualifier round 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone would think they were making it up as they went along .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Being a Rossie it actually works out better for us. I'd rather face Donegal in the Hyde than Ballybofey, whereas I don't think we have much chance against Dublin anywhere.

Really looking forward to it either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Kerry have really struggled to create goal chances this year. 3 goals over the entire league campaign wasn't great.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    For the 5000 Dubs who might actually travel? Even less will go to Omagh due to lack of a train

It just never ends does it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    It just never ends does it

True from having an third party informed pop at Dublin parents at GAA matches, to a "players" insight into the club scene in Dublin, and quoting lower figures for travelling supporters than go to league games for championship games, it drips off this one alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's not been changed. Was always scheduled to be connacht final losers or whoever beat them at home to Ulster champions in round 2.

Someone might have reported it incorrectly couple of weeks ago which is where confusion has came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Stoner wrote: »
    True from having an third party informed pop at Dublin parents at GAA matches, to a "players" insight into the club scene in Dublin, and quoting lower figures for travelling supporters than go to league games for championship games, it drips off this one alright.

Population of 500k
    Stadium that holds 12000 for home games. Oh no wait, ye don't use it!
    Dublin need to sort yer shít out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Conaidering a large % of Dubs travelled last February to see 14 man Dublin beat Tyrone, I'm sure the same numbers, if not more, will travel again to see the repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Kerry ,kildare , dublin & tyrone to qualify. Kildare will not fear monaghan or galway. They have nothing to lose at this stage

Kerry ,kildare , dublin & tyrone to qualify. Kildare will not fear monaghan or galway. They have nothing to lose at this stage

Fearing them is one thing, beating them entirely different. Kildare will come bottom of the group, possibly without a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

You're talking absolute rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fearing them is one thing, beating them entirely different. Kildare will come bottom of the group, possibly without a win.

I really hate the "so and so won't fear so and so" cliche.

It means nothing if so and so are a million times worse than so and so.

Its the worst kind of analysis.

Oh they haven't bet them in 120yrs. Yes but they only played 3 times all in the 1920s.

All form and evidence goes out the window and you're left with pisheogs and cliches.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Rochey18 wrote: »
    You're talking absolute rubbish

Can someone provide an answer for this? Was the order of fixtures changed and if so why?

And yet you keep telling us a useless stat about Galway not having won in Croker since 2001 on every occasion you can, as if defeats shipped when most of the current panel were children have any effect. About half of the current panel have won All Ireland medals of differing grades at Croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Can someone provide an answer for this? Was the order of fixtures changed and if so why?

I don't think it was, not one person who claims so has managed to provide an actual link to the alleged original fixtures.

Edit :
    This post https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106677327&postcount=45 in the big thread from April has poster dxhound looking at the fixtures as laid out at the time and he says
    E.g. In Round 2, Munster Runner Up / Team who beat them will have a Home fixture against the Leinster Champions. In Round 3, Leinster Champions will have a Home fixture against Connacht Runner Up / Team that beats them.

which is exactly how it's transpired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    And yet you keep telling us a useless stat about Galway not having won in Croker since 2001 on every occasion you can, as if defeats shipped when most of the current panel were children have any effect. About half of the current panel have won All Ireland medals of differing grades at Croker

It's another poster who mentioned the stat of Team A have not beaten Team B in x amount of years, not me, get you facts straight.

What I hate is this silly comment of "Team A won't fear Team B"

What the fcuk is it supposed to mean and what value is it if Team A are s**t and Team B are brimming with talent ?

It's another poster who mentioned the stat of Team A have not beaten Team B in x amount of years, not me, get you facts straight.

What I hate is this silly comment of "Team A won't fear Team B"

What the fcuk is it supposed to mean and what value is it if Team A are s**t and Team B are brimming with talent ?

You're complaining about a comment like "Kildare won't fear Monaghan" which is irrelevant and yet continuously bring up Galway not winning in Croker since 2001 which is equally irrelevant. You can't complain about one irrelevance that won't affect the game yet bring up another constantly. The two comments aren't identical but they're of the same ilk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its the worst kind of analysis.

Oh they haven't bet them in 120yrs. Yes but they only played 3 times all in the 1920s.

All form and evidence goes out the window and you're left with pisheogs and cliches.

There was the same ****e always about Mayo not managing to beat Galway in Tuam in about 40 years or something before we beat them them in 99. Turns out we only had played and lost there 3 times in all those years yet there was always this talk of the 'Tuam hoodoo'. :lazy nonsense

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I agree, it reminds me of the way people go on about Mayo not having won an All Ireland since 1951. What odds does that make? It's not as if they have come close and bottled it several times since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PARlance wrote: »
    Dublin or Kildare are the two teams I would fear most at this moment in time. Dublin because Dublin and Kildare because of a serious amount of momentum and a team that's hitting some form. Kerry havent had a test this year, I do fancy Kildare to top that group.

I think topping the group might be a stretch too far. But it has the potential to work out well for Kildare. I think they have a very good chance of beating Monaghan in Croke Park this weekend. And then they have Galway at home (I think). That’s a huge advantage. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that they win the first 2 matches. And at that point, they have one foot in the door of the semis – obviously depending on other results. They may not have to depend on the away Kerry match. Anyway, that’s all if, buts, and maybes. But it does make it interesting.
    After seeing them in Newbridge against Mayo, they look a lot different than the fragile team that we have seen over the years. There was a bit of steel to them, and ruthlessness to close out the game. One thing that I noticed is that they did a 45 minute warm-up in about 26 degrees heat. I was sure they had overdone it, but unfortunately I was wrong!!! They don’t lack in the fitness/athleticism department. I think their main problem has been consistency and confidence. This run, and with getting Monaghan and Galway first in the Super 8s coming up could really suit them.

@Kerry posters

What's Donaghys situation? Any chance we'll see a healthy dose of him, either from the start or otherwise? Galways rookie FB isn't lacking physically, but the temptation must be there to use Donaghy given the havoc he caused in the fixture last year

• Advertisement

@Kerry posters

What's Donaghys situation? Any chance we'll see a healthy dose of him, either from the start or otherwise? Galways rookie FB isn't lacking physically, but the temptation must be there to use Donaghy given the havoc he caused in the fixture last year

Yeah he's come on in both games and looked same as ever. I doubt he will start at any stage as he seems to stymie Geaney but I think you can expect to see him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

To borrow a saying from mma/boxing "styles make fights" and both groups look to have a good blend of styles. As long as we don't end up with any dead rubber matches then we should be in for a few great weekends of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭MattressRick

@Kerry posters

Galways fullback in the Kerry game last year isn't any where close to intercounty standard. O Ceallaigh wouldn't be caught out in the same way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Galways fullback in the Kerry game last year isn't any where close to intercounty standard. O Ceallaigh wouldn't be caught out in the same way.

I dont think its as simple as standard, Donaghy is a handful for any full back if the style of play suits quick balls in from the sky. His change of pace off a flat foot to charge a ball in flight is frightening for a big man. SA O Ceallaigh is a talented full back has a tendency to over commit and it could be his downfall against Donaghy.

I doubt Donaghy will be starting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement