Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭munster87

munster87 wrote: »
    Jump ahead to 83. Dublin played one match more than Kerry did in 81.

Sorry I should say 1 team more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think we should talk about the absolute car crash that was Kerry's championship made all the sweeter by the absolute gash being talked about how they would put it up to Dublin.

Who cares about the handy ones in the 80s when they bring so much joy these days. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

km79 wrote: »
    Who the hell even sends mail these days !!!!
    Not for 1 euro a stamp anyway.

But Pat Spillane used tell the story of how he received hate mail. They didn't know his address so they just wrote 'Pat Bo**ix, Co Kerry'. And it reached him.

blanch152 wrote: »
    When you see they played three matches to win the 1980 All-Ireland - against Cork, Offaly and Roscommon - and four in 1981 - against Clare, Cork, Mayo and Offaly, with weeks between matches, you realise how handy some of their All-Irelands were.

Beating Cork and Offaly, the second and third best teams in the country, each year...that's pretty impressive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Beating Cork and Offaly, the second and third best teams in the country, each year...that's pretty impressive...

Those two All-Irelands were as handy as Dublin's last two Leinster championships and about as impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The argument was being made only a few weeks ago that the quarter final group stages would help Kerry as it would mean good tough games going into a SF.

Those two All-Irelands were as handy as Dublin's last two Leinster championships and about as impressive.

Did Dublin beat the second and third best sides in the country on the way to the last 2 Leinster titles? Really?

I doubt it myself and think you are talking nonsense and confusing quantity of games with quality of opposition.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There could be a large question mark alongside your own success when you look at the field of contenders recently. Your need to belittle the achievements of kerry teams of the past is a bit sad. They were great teams and you know it well.

Can you not just enjoy your success you are having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭technocrat

I think we should talk about the absolute car crash that was Kerry's championship made all the sweeter by the absolute gash being talked about how they would put it up to Dublin.

Who cares about the handy ones in the 80s when they bring so much joy these days. :)

You really have an unhealthy hate obsession with Kerry.
    Can’t accept it they still have the most AI titles? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There used to be a fella called godge who used to post to the standard of this last page or two who had to close his account cos everyone had him on ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    There used to be a fella called godge who used to post to the standard of this last page or two who had to close his account cos everyone had him on ignore.

There was a stinker too, same deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stoner wrote: »

Probably gimmick accounts for one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Funny guy. What are you, 12?

He is making a very valid point.

nothing impressive about this year's campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

When you see they played three matches to win the 1980 All-Ireland - against Cork, Offaly and Roscommon - and four in 1981 - against Clare, Cork, Mayo and Offaly, with weeks between matches, you realise how handy some of their All-Irelands were.

Ah yes, that's why the Galway hurlers managed so many all-irelands....

technocrat wrote: »
    You really have an unhealthy hate obsession with Kerry.
    Can’t accept it they still have the most AI titles? :D

I love how it constantly draws your ire. Long may it wind you up. What's it to ya?

Ah Stiniker. He's missed. Especially during this golden era of Kerry football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lads and lassies, here is a fact for you.

As of tonight and until the end of play tomorrow, the best team in the country is the team who have exited the super 8's undefeated, topped their group and are now in an all Ireland semi final.

;) There are good days and then there are great days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blanch152 wrote:

If they had to play 20 matches every year between '78 and '81 they would still have won those All-Ireland titles. They were head and shoulders above everyone else. That was the best team in my lifetime to this point.
    I'm not a Kerry man or fan btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

As of tonight and until the end of play tomorrow, the best team in the country is the team who have exited the super 8's undefeated, topped their group and are now in an all Ireland semi final.

No doubt. I don't think anyone would begrudge the Mon a night of celebration.

As a Dub I'd like to see both our counties make a final, but that's where my well-wishes would end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Certainly the most enjoyable to watch atm.

The talk of them being a one or two man team would irritate me if i was a Monaghan man. Great team performances have been their hallmark in the S8.

O' Connell should be talked about as a contender for FOTY and McAnespie was shafted not getting MOTM yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭technocrat

I love how it constantly draws your ire. Long may it wind you up. What's it to ya?

Ah Stiniker. He's missed. Especially during this golden era of Kerry football.

The only thing constant here is your obsession with Kerry football. Like I say dunno if it’s jealousy or still sore they beat you in the league final last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The whole universe seems to centre around Kerry. They get so much more attention even then likes of Kilkenny in hurling

Be nice to share the love now that they are out.

Great win for Monaghan and pressure will be off them somewhat for semi. Best 2 teams qualified so no arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Have to laugh when people say Fitzmaurice guided Kerry through a transition phase

Look at the players that was at his disposal in his term

I guess it took Monaghan two games to knock Kerry out.

I had to settle for the radio for the two games and thankfully 75 percent was on the Galway game.

I have to say I always thought Fitzmaurice was a good guy. I liked him as an individual and he stood up when nobody else would. You'd have to think that maybe he didn't have the right intellect on the line with him. It could not all have been his fault.

Interesting times ahead for Kerry.
    Looking forward to today's games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I had to settle for the radio for the two games and thankfully 75 percent was on the Galway game.

I have to say I always thought Fitzmaurice was a good guy. I liked him as an individual and he stood up when nobody else would. You'd have to think that maybe he didn't have the right intellect on the line with him. I could not all have been his fault.

He made some baffling calls during his term.

Losing Cian O Neil was a huge loss. Fitzgerald and Sheehy weren’t up to much as selectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I have to say I always thought Fitzmaurice was a good guy. I liked him as an individual and he stood up when nobody else would. You'd have to think that maybe he didn't have the right intellect on the line with him. I could not all have been his fault.

One hundred percent,thoroughly decent chap who didn't deserve the type of hateful abuse mentioned.

corny wrote: »
    Certainly the most enjoyable to watch atm.

The talk of them being a one or two man team would irritate me if i was a Monaghan man. Great team performances have been their hallmark in the S8.

O' Connell should be talked about as a contender for FOTY and McAnespie was shafted not getting MOTM yesterday.

I said before the match that when they try to mark McManus out of it they open space for others and so it was yesterday.

I agree and I think the entire Monaghan support does too, that McAnespie was the MOTM yesterday.

Monaghan went to Salthill looking for a dream result - a trip to Croker with a very very realistic shot at winning. Mission accomplished with ease in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭MFPM

That was always a load of nonsense predominantly put about by a set of Kerry pundits and few lads who view everything through the prism of the past such as Martin Carney. Kerry did nothing to justify the hype even the much vaunted forward line - O'Donoghue got his first championship goal in three years yesterday, Geaney has been anonymous and they looked to a 19 year old to get them through and a 36 year old who's way past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

The great days are are the days your county wins an All Ireland. Some counties, including the above, only know good days....an odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

mattser wrote: »
    The great days are are the days your county wins an All Ireland. Some counties, including the above, only know good days....an odd time.

Great days are relative to one's realistic expectations.

Most counties can only dream of winning an All Ireland so if Francie opines these are great days for Monaghan GAA,good for him.Lest we forget the population of Monaghan is 61,000.

I'm inclined to agree with him.I'm delighted for Monaghan.I most certainly wouldn't be inclined to diminish the scale of their achievement.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great days are relative to one's realistic expectations.

Most counties can only dream of winning an All Ireland so if Francie opines these are great days for Monaghan GAA,good for him.Lest we forget the population of Monaghan is 61,000.

I'm inclined to agree with him.I'm delighted for Monaghan.I most certainly wouldn't be inclined to diminish the scale of their achievement.

I'm not trying to diminish the scale of their achievement. Just putting things in perspective. Celebrate by all means, but reserve the word great for when it applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I said before the match that when they try to mark McManus out of it they open space for others and so it was yesterday.

I agree and I think the entire Monaghan support does too, that McAnespie was the MOTM yesterday.

Monaghan went to Salthill looking for a dream result - a trip to Croker with a very very realistic shot at winning. Mission accomplished with ease in the end.

The Kerry game was Monaghan's highest profile game all year(especially given the fact that the Tyrone game wasn't on TV) so when people see McManus kicking 1-9 then they'll revert to the usual "one man team" line. But if any opposition team give him that freedom then he'll rack up a tally and score the majority of their scores. You're right in saying that when he's tightly marked, others generally benefit from the extra space.

Think of the scores the like of O'Connell, Kearns and McAnespie for example were able to get in different games, and there are generally a good spread of players that are good for a point, even corner backs like Walshe. Even against Tyrone where Monaghan scored 1-18, McManus only really came to life in the last 10 minutes and they had a healthy spread of scorers that day.

Malone went through a mountain of work against Galway and especially Kerry, and he's the kind of player you need in the trenches to win dirty ball in big games. But I was shocked McAnespie didn't get MOTM, thought he was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

MFPM wrote: »
    That was always a load of nonsense predominantly put about by a set of Kerry pundits and few lads who view everything through the prism of the past such as Martin Carney. Kerry did nothing to justify the hype even the much vaunted forward line - O'Donoghue got his first championship goal in three years yesterday, Geaney has been anonymous and they looked to a 19 year old to get them through and a 36 year old who's way past it.

Joe Brolly and Ciarán Whelan were leading that chorus actually. It was crazy talk given it is such a young team. In fairness nobody would have predicted the dramatic loss of form of some of the established players like Geaney either. The youngsters have been superb and there are better days ahead. A new manager with a new approach could turn things around sooner than people think.

Thanks to Eamon for all he has done over the years. I don’t know him personally but he seems to be a pure gent. He is also a very good manager in my view, but probably stayed on a year too long.

technocrat wrote: »
    The only thing constant here is your obsession with Kerry football. Like I say dunno if it’s jealousy or still sore they beat you in the league final last year.

The only thing constant is your interjecting when I might have to say something about Kerry. Good or Bad.

Seriously fella, get over yourself. My ramblings really shouldn't affect you that much and yet they get you going every time. It's delightful.

Anyway, Kerry are yesterday's men. They're in the rear view mirror and the next time I hope to talk about them is when we lift Sam to complete a 4-in-a-row and finally quieten some coughs about this team. As it stands they are an irrelevance to Championship 2018.

---

So whadda 'bout the horror of Ulster now having an All-Ireland finalist guaranteed? I though Ulster football and championship was overrated?

I'm not trying to diminish the scale of their achievement. Just putting things in perspective. Celebrate by all means, but reserve the word great for when it applies.

No celebrations yet, we are just letting the team know how much their work is appreciated.
    And that has been 'great'. We topped a group we were predicted (even before yesterday) not to get out of.

There are two teams in the country undefeated in the Super 8's. Yet we are still way down the pecking order when those who claim to know about football talk about football.
    As they say in these parts, 'those who claim to know' would know more about a big curranty loaf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Roscommon or Playing Maurs on a cold Tuesday night. Nothing excites me more then a match day.

Rest up some players today, we will still kick on comfortably today. Roscommon backs in disarray last time out. I fancy donegal to strip Tyrone of a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

No celebrations yet, we are just letting the team know how much their work is appreciated.
    And that has been 'great'. We topped a group we were predicted (even before yesterday) not to get out of.

There are two teams in the country undefeated in the Super 8's. Yet we are still way down the pecking order when those who claim to know about football talk about football.
    As they say in these parts, 'those who claim to know' would know more about a big curranty loaf! :)

Maybe save your arrogance cause it’s only gonna end one way. You’ll get your trip to Croker then let the big boys sort out the business.

Maybe save your arrogance cause it’s only gonna end one way. You’ll get your trip to Croker then let the big boys sort out the business.

We earned the trip. And I will tell you this, if we earn a meeting with Galway or Dublin in a final, we will give it a damn good lash with honest work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Complete nonsense.

Offaly in the early 80's won 3 Leinsters in a row 2 all Ireland final appearances in a row and left the championship by either losing to Kerry or beating Kerry.

Offaly's team from the early 80's was a pretty great team they made 5 Leinster finals in a row from 79-83.

I think beating a great team like Offaly is a much better achievement than beating the rubbish standard of opposition Dublin have faced in Leinster in the last few years.

People always thought of that Offaly team as a one man band but Matt Connor had a relatively quiet game by his standards in the final in 82 and they still won the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jesus man, I can't see anything that resembles arrogance in his posts. Monaghan aren't going to win the AI bar a complete and utter shock, I anticipate the poster knows that but they have had a GREAT year, relatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

We earned the trip. And I will tell you this, if we earn a meeting with Galway or Dublin in a final, we will give it a damn good lash with honest work.

Dublin will win this Ireland pulling up . Get a grip lad

Jesus man, I can't see anything that resembles arrogance in his posts. Monaghan aren't going to win the AI bar a complete and utter shock, I anticipate the poster knows that but they have had a GREAT year, relatively speaking.

They have had a great year . And good luck to them . But it’s been a formality since start of the year who will win it

As a Galway man I’m fearful for next sat .but going into a game with nothing to lose is a good way as well .

spurshero wrote: »
    As a Galway man I’m fearful for next sat .but going into a game with nothing to lose is a good way as well .

You should learn from yesterday, go into your games 'fearless' and you can give it a rattle.

You got schooled yesterday on what hunger, properly channeled, can achieve.

Can you turn it around in a week. I see no reason why not if you have the cahonas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Who are the big boys exactly? Dublin aside, Monaghan are about as good as anyone else that's left. Dublin are just in a league of their own at the minute.

I've three cussack stand tickets for CP today of a regular wants them let me know. They are in PDF so easy to grty

shrewdness wrote: »
    Who are the big boys exactly? Dublin aside, Monaghan are about as good as anyone else that's left. Dublin are just in a league of their own at the minute.

Bar Donegal we have beaten all the teams left in the championship already this year. ;)

I had to laugh when people were saying that Kerry would put it up to Dublin in the semi. They couldn't even get out of their own group. I think there was a massive hype in Kerry about their team and speaking to a lot of Kerry people they said they be a different team come Croke park. Kildare if they kept their discipline and held their head could have been on for a famous win in Killarney.

If Dublin got Kerry in a semi final they would give them such a beating like what Meath did to them in 2001 Tyrone in 2003 and Down in 2010. Monaghan and Galway were the two best teams in that group and all Kerry supporters can say is that there overhyped team was 3rd best and right now rank about 6th in the country. One all Ireland from 2010 to 2018 is a poor return for a county with the best players in Ireland it was said.

Well done Galway and Monaghan again on reaching all Ireland Semi finals. Kerry were supposed to be there by all the experts but they bottled it. The arrogance by some kerry supporters on their team and that they had a defined right to be in an All Ireland final is baffling if not ridiculous to some degree. They are getting used of defeat gradually which is good for their more arrogant supporters. The fake Kerry supporters who were looking for Fitzmaurices head and sending hate mail to him are a disgrace and need a reality check. Paidi o se was so correct when he called the kerry supporters "animals". Mind you not all of them are like this just the minority.

Looking forward to a glorious end to the championship.

BIG BLOCK CAPITAL GREAT. For winning nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

BIG BLOCK CAPITAL GREAT. For winning nothing.

what an utterly pointless post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement