Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages

1515253545557»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

27 Championship games without being beaten. Without checking records I’d imagine this is a record and has never been done before.

There’s a very strong argument that this Dubs team is the best Gaelic football team of all time yet begrudgery means plenty of folk can’t stand to give them any credit, never mind the credit they’re due.
    If you think wanting everyone to operate on a level playing field counts as begrudgery, then you need to recheck the definition of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If you think wanting everyone to operate on a level playing field counts as begrudgery, then you need to recheck the definition of the word.

Let’s talk playing population so... Cork’s is bigger.

Let’s talk success... Kilkenny is more successful.

Let’s talk finances... We bring most to the table, therefore we take out the most.

So what level playing field do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Dublin are a great team . Nobody can take that from them . But Mick Mackey is right it’s nowhere near a level playing field .the gaa expect populations of 40000 to compete with counties of 1.5 mill that it Dublin . They operate in every way on another level to others . From diets to training to amount of coaches etc .there professional in all but name . Can’t blame Dublin for that it’s Just the way it is .one thing is for sure in my opinion they will never go 16 years again without an all Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

STB. wrote: »
    Why would we need praise when we have the silverware.

You keep on dreaming. We'll keep on doing it :)

I was laughing at the convoluted way he treated my post to turn it into praising Dublin. It was wonderfully childlike in it's yearning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm from Dublin and I hate people like you.
    I still think, even if Dublin emulate their achievement, that the Kerry team who won four in a row between 1978 and 1981 were a better footballing team.
    This Dublin team is a team of athletes with only a couple of footballers.
    It's different times, it's a different game.
    Dublin could go and keep winning for years to come but the simple truth is that we have a huge population so as long as there is somebody competent running things we should keep winning.

The whole thing is turning into a mess. There are less people going to games because it's not really competitive anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Let’s talk playing population so... Cork’s is bigger.

Let’s talk success... Kilkenny is more successful.

Let’s talk finances... We bring most to the table, therefore we take out the most.

So what level playing field do you want?

Have to laugh at your finances argument. €247/player vs €15/player in Galway. A county which up to this week was involved in all but two of the competitions yet to be decided and you deserve to have that much more funding to basically provide a senior men's football team as hurling is the poor relation.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I still think, even if Dublin emulate their achievement, that the Kerry team who won four in a row between 1978 and 1981 were a better footballing team.
    Dublin could go and keep winning for years to come but the simple truth is that we have a huge population so as long as there is somebody competent running things we should keep winning.

The whole thing is turning into a mess. There are less people going to games because it's not really competitive anymore.

Is this aimed at me?!

threeball wrote: »
    Have to laugh at your finances argument. €247/player vs €15/player in Galway. A county which up to this week was involved in all but two of the competitions yet to be decided and you deserve to have that much more funding to basically provide a senior men's football team as hurling is the poor relation.

I didn’t say we deserve that much, I said that as we bring the most to the table we have negotiated a position where we take the most.

I’d have no problem if the finances were looked at and distributed differently. I’d love to see what the current arrangement is though, and why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im just putting it in now that tyrone will just about take sam off dublin. it'll be tight, but they'll do it

I didn’t say we deserve that much, I said that as we bring the most to the table we have negotiated a position where we take the most.

I’d have no problem if the finances were looked at and distributed differently. I’d love to see what the current arrangement is though, and why.

The current situation is that Dublin have 15 times the money that's invested in the biggest gaa county that is cork. Galway are the worst financed county in Ireland on a per capita basis. Cork, Kerry, mayo etc are in the lowest level of investment. Leitrim and Monaghan are the closest to Dublin at around €65/player but that's down to their tiny populations.

There's no justification for that discrepancy. It's actually disgraceful and no county should be allowed negotiate a position like that. Especially not one with the other advantages that Dublin enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is this aimed at me?!

Yes

threeball wrote: »
    The current situation is that Dublin have 15 times the money that's invested in the biggest gaa county that is cork. Galway are the worst financed county in Ireland on a per capita basis. Cork, Kerry, mayo etc are in the lowest level of investment. Leitrim and Monaghan are the closest to Dublin at around €65/player but that's down to their tiny populations.

There's no justification for that discrepancy. It's actually disgraceful and no county should be allowed negotiate a position like that. Especially not one with the other advantages that Dublin enjoy.

I’d agree with you. The discrepancy is massive, it would be great if we knew why that was bar the fact that Dublin subsidize all other counties and help them increase the slice of their pie due to the money we bring in.

I’d agree with you. The discrepancy is massive, it would be great if we knew why that was bar the fact that Dublin subsidize all other counties and help them increase the slice of their pie due to the money we bring in.

Even the subsidy issue is a myth. Take Galway again and accumulate the attendance of their football and hurling teams vs Dublins and there won't be a huge deal in it. The reality is a county like ours, a genuine dual county brings every bit as much to the table as Dublin. We're involved in nearly every level of competition at the business end nearly every year. Very few years go by without a couple of all Irelands in the cabinet at some grade. Dublin don't operate at that level. Far less expenses as most of their teams bar the football don't progress and even at underage it's not as pronounced.

Look at this year. No Dublin at minor and U21 but the s&c programmes are already in place to reap the rewards come senior. That costs alot of money. More than other counties can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I don’t think a county’s allocation should be based on how much they bring in.

The debate on funding is done to death and there is so much misinformation and skewing of facts on both sides that it’s utterly pointless. Perhaps an independent review (not commissioned by the GAA) should be carried out to look in to it properly and make some recommendations to try to bring other counties on rather than tear down what Dublin have. There is some great work being done around the country at underage level that needs to be fortified, and Dublin’s dominance will not last forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

maccored wrote: »
    Im just putting it in now that tyrone will just about take sam off dublin. it'll be tight, but they'll do it

No they won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

maccored wrote: »

5/1 in a two horse race where you believe the it could win is potentially the best opportunity of clearing your mortgage, if you have one. Stick your house on it if that’s what you believe. Never seen a price like it for any final...so personally I wouldn’t stick a euro on Tyrone winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »

You should get onto Jim Gavin and tell him that hitting it long and hoping for the best is what will assure greatness.

I'm shocked as a Pat's man that you're not really into a dominant team from a weak "division".

Athletes... Yeah... That's all they are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Rightio, seeing as we're now at the All Ireland final stage, we can go ahead and close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement