Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018/19 FPL Rate My Team Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Why has hardly anyone got KDB???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

pj12332 wrote: »
    Why has hardly anyone got KDB???

I personally don't have him because of the risk of him not playing after his World Cup exertions. Seems a bit safer imo to have a Sanchez / Mane / Eriksen in your team for a week or two and do the easy transfer to KDB once it's clear he's definitely back

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

I personally don't have him because of the risk of him not playing after his World Cup exertions. Seems a bit safer imo to have a Sanchez / Mane / Eriksen in your team for a week or two and do the easy transfer to KDB once it's clear he's definitely back

Ah ok thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin draft 1:

Ederson
    Shaw, Coleman, Robertson (Peltier, Wann Bissaka)
    Salah, Eriksen, Cairney, Richarlison (Gunarrasson)
    Aguero, Firmino, Arnie

Questions:
    I've seen a few teams with my two cheape defenders. Are they starters? I just wanted two cheap defenders.
    Why is nobody going for Luke Shaw? I though Mourinho has said he will start.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Right, here we go.

This is probably the last night I'll get to sit down properly and would love your thoughts.

Here's where I'm currently at:

ad857d4d31239a1efb31997a5e7cb501.jpn

Goalkeeper: Somehow I end up starting yet another season (probably my 4th or 5th at this stage) with Ben Foster in goal. If I wasn't going with Mendy I'd probably have Ederson here, but due to my premium defensive options I'm a bit restricted in what I can spend on the position. I like Watford's first 3 games, they were a lot tighter under Gracia towards the end of last season, and I can swap him to another £4.5m option easily enough around GW4.

Defence: This is the most money I can ever remember spending on my defence at any stage of my playing of FPL, never mind just at the start! However, I really have a liking for attacking full backs this year. Mendy is a little risky which is not what you really want from a £6m defender of course, but man, look at his stats - per FF Scout "despite making just seven appearances in the entire campaign, just De Bruyne and Leroy Sané (£9.5m) registered more successful crosses from open play than Mendy’s eight, with 14 and nine respectively. Adding a further three appearances after a Gameweek 34 return, Mendy created nine chances and had five shots on goal in 361 minutes across the season as a whole. That averaged out at a key pass every 40.1 minutes, the next best in the City defence was Walker with one every 92.9."Robertson had the second most touches in the final third after making the LB spot his own. Southampton have a canny start (as they did last year I know!) and Cedric is another who registered excellent underlying stats when Hughes took over. He may not play GW1 but I'm okay with that. Lots of attacking point potential in this group IMO. Wan-Bissaka is £4.0m fodder, but in a nice twist of fortune it looks like he's currently going to play and be an option. Nice bonus.

Midfield: Salah is Salah. I don't want to start without him as if he continues where he left off the season is over before it starts, whereas he's an easy downgrade to literally anyone if it goes wrong. I originally had Sane in here but I liked Mahrez's performance in the Community Shield and Sane's early withdrawal in that game has concerned me a bit. I'm a huge Richarlison fan and although he was frustrating last season, I watched him quite a bit and liked how he was still getting in good positions and felt he was a bit unlucky at times. I saw a comment a couple of weeks ago about him from a stats guy (xG/expected goals) that went something like: "I'd rather take a punt on a guy who scored 8 goals from 15 expected than the other way around" and that sums up Richarlison for me. Fraser is my cheap punt. He had great underlying stats last year, has a nice start, and with Stanislas out injured should be guaranteed at least the first few games. The last spot is just fodder and won't necessarily be Chalobah.

Strikers: Aguero doesn't need much explanation, and I'm hoping with his Community Shield performance he'll at least start that Huddersfield in GW2 before Jesus comes into play. You'd be hoping beyond hope to get that Huddersfield game out of him at the very least mind! Firmino is a case of Liverpool attacking coverage to go with excellent fixtures and a very workable price, although the volume and strength of Sturridge's pre-season performances do concern slightly. I'm pretty set on King as the third choice striker now after careful consideration the last few days. He looks set to get a proper run up front, will be on penalties and has a kind start. I doubt he'll be in my side come GW5 or 6, but until that #1 cheap option arises I'm confident enough in King ahead of Austin and Mitrovic to name but two.

I have my strategy for Kane in mind too. It can be done in 3 moves using Firmino, or 2 moves using Aguero. I think it's a good plan as rotation will start to kick in for the likes of Mahrez and Augero in a few weeks while Arsenal's fixtures ease up and players like Ramsey and Mikhitarian may become very solid options at that point too.

I'm still unsure about the 3rd DEF spot. I've flip-flopped between PVA, Coleman and a few others. I may even downgrade to a £4.5m and upgrade elsewhere. Thoughts here would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Lemlin wrote: »
    Lemlin draft 1:

Ederson
    Shaw, Coleman, Robertson (Peltier, Wann Bissaka)
    Salah, Eriksen, Cairney, Richarlison (Gunarrasson)
    Aguero, Firmino, Arnie

Questions:
    I've seen a few teams with my two cheape defenders. Are they starters? I just wanted two cheap defenders.
    Why is nobody going for Luke Shaw? I though Mourinho has said he will start.

Thoughts?

Your 2 and Bennett from Wolves seem to be the likely 4m starters

Like the look of that team - not too sure about Shaw as a pick though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

CSWS101 wrote: »
    I think Peltier & WanB will start, which should see me through til the international break as should Bilva. From there I'll make the changes, will likely go Bilva -> Mhki & upgrade def

Two weeks ago you’d never heard of WanB or Peltier, you’ve never seen either of the play and couldn’t pick them out of a line up so I’m not sure how you can be sure either will start.

We all do it but you should recognise that you’re doing it and realise that it’s a big risk. I can’t remember the last 4m defender we had for any length, ur man from Southampton two seasons ago towards the end?
    I remember plenty of useless lugs that promised to play and didn’t. Remember Love from Sunderland? He actually got an assist on his one appearance

So it’s very fanciful to think we all of a sudden have three

Your 2 and Bennett from Wolves seem to be the likely 4m starters

Like the look of that team - not too sure about Shaw as a pick though

Is Mourinho not saying he'll start though? He's got himself in good nick!

Paully D wrote: »
    Right, here we go.

This is probably the last night I'll get to sit down properly and would love your thoughts.

Here's where I'm currently at:

ad857d4d31239a1efb31997a5e7cb501.jpn

Goalkeeper: Somehow I end up starting yet another season (probably my 4th or 5th at this stage) with Ben Foster in goal. If I wasn't going with Mendy I'd probably have Ederson here, but due to my premium defensive options I'm a bit restricted in what I can spend on the position. I like Watford's first 3 games, they were a lot tighter under Gracia towards the end of last season, and I can swap him to another £4.5m option easily enough around GW4.

Defence: This is the most money I can ever remember spending on my defence at any stage of my playing of FPL, never mind just at the start! However, I really have a liking for attacking full backs this year. Mendy is a little risky which is not what you really want from a £6m defender of course, but man, look at his stats - per FF Scout "despite making just seven appearances in the entire campaign, just De Bruyne and Leroy Sané (£9.5m) registered more successful crosses from open play than Mendy’s eight, with 14 and nine respectively. Adding a further three appearances after a Gameweek 34 return, Mendy created nine chances and had five shots on goal in 361 minutes across the season as a whole. That averaged out at a key pass every 40.1 minutes, the next best in the City defence was Walker with one every 92.9."Robertson had the second most touches in the final third after making the LB spot his own. Southampton have a canny start (as they did last year I know!) and Cedric is another who registered excellent underlying stats when Hughes took over. He may not play GW1 but I'm okay with that. Lots of attacking point potential in this group IMO. Wan-Bissaka is £4.0m fodder, but in a nice twist of fortune it looks like he's currently going to play and be an option. Nice bonus.

Midfield: Salah is Salah. I don't want to start without him as if he continues where he left off the season is over before it starts, whereas he's an easy downgrade to literally anyone if it goes wrong. I originally had Sane in here but I liked Mahrez's performance in the Community Shield and Sane's early withdrawal in that game has concerned me a bit. I'm a huge Richarlison fan and although he was frustrating last season, I watched him quite a bit and liked how he was still getting in good positions and felt he was a bit unlucky at times. I saw a comment a couple of weeks ago about him from a stats guy (xG/expected goals) that went something like: "I'd rather take a punt on a guy who scored 8 goals from 15 expected than the other way around" and that sums up Richarlison for me. Fraser is my cheap punt. He had great underlying stats last year, has a nice start, and with Stanislas out injured should be guaranteed at least the first few games. The last spot is just fodder and won't necessarily be Chalobah.

Strikers: Aguero doesn't need much explanation, and I'm hoping with his Community Shield performance he'll at least start that Huddersfield in GW2 before Jesus comes into play. You'd be hoping beyond hope to get that Huddersfield game out of him at the very least mind! Firmino is a case of Liverpool attacking coverage to go with excellent fixtures and a very workable price, although the volume and strength of Sturridge's pre-season performances do concern slightly. I'm pretty set on King as the third choice striker now after careful consideration the last few days. He looks set to get a proper run up front, will be on penalties and has a kind start. I doubt he'll be in my side come GW5 or 6, but until that #1 cheap option arises I'm confident enough in King ahead of Austin and Mitrovic to name but two.

I have my strategy for Kane in mind too. It can be done in 3 moves using Firmino, or 2 moves using Aguero. I think it's a good plan as rotation will start to kick in for the likes of Mahrez and Augero in a few weeks while Arsenal's fixtures ease up and players like Ramsey and Mikhitarian may become very solid options at that point too.

I'm still unsure about the 3rd DEF spot. I've flip-flopped between PVA, Coleman and a few others. I may even downgrade to a £4.5m and upgrade elsewhere. Thoughts here would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys. :)

Foster is as reliable a pick as any for keeper. I've had him years too.

I like the idea behind your defenders but I'd go for Coleman over PVA. Silva has shown he can be a defensive manager at Watford. Coleman is proven attacking quality. PVA is a defender who can't defend!!

In midfield, Tom Cairney is a quality player and available at 5 in a good Fulham team. I think Bournemouth could struggle this year. They did last year and haven't spent much in the transfer market.

For your Fraser and King, I have Cairney and Arnie. I think my two are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

Ederson (Speroni)

Azpilicueta Duffy Dunk (Wan-B) (Bednarek)

Salah Sane Eriksen Cairney (4.5m fodder)

Firmino Tosun Vardy

Team Cost: 100m

Thoughts/ suggestions welcome! Thanks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Sanchez & Firmino

Or

Salah & Zaha

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Sanchez & Firmino

Or

Salah & Zaha

I think I'd go Salah & Zaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Sanchez & Firmino

Or

Salah & Zaha

The one with Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Ederson (Speroni)

Azpilicueta Duffy Dunk (Wan-B) (Bednarek)

Salah Sane Eriksen Cairney (4.5m fodder)

Firmino Tosun Vardy

Team Cost: 100m

Thoughts/ suggestions welcome! Thanks :-)

Double Brighton defence? I'd lose one - plenty of more 4.5 defenders out there. Defence overall needs a rethink, I think!
    Thought Puel said Vardy (and Maguire) were not ready for Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Current selection:
    Any thoughts
    DeGea (Button)
    Coleman Mendy Robertson (Wan Bissaka)(Malone)
    Richarlson Pedro Salah Myhitaryan (Stephens)
    King Firmino Aguero
    Happy with the back and forwards. Not sure about the midfield at all. 100m spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

jamesbere wrote: »
    This has been tough this year to find a starting squad. But this is what I'm going for

Pickford
    Luiz PVA Daniels
    Mane Sane Sessegnon Eriksen
    Tosun Aubameyang Firmino

Stekelenburg Holebas Wan-bis Stephens

Gk: Everton have a great start in fixtures so hoping for some Cs off Pickford, said if I'm going for 4m gk might aswell go for his backup

Def: this was tough but said I'd go for Luiz and see how Chelsea start, he's risky but might be a good punt. PVA I'm hoping will hit the ground running and with the rest I feel there's good rotation there with wan b Daniels and Holebas

Mid: ok no salah, I might be mad but 13m on one player just didn't sit right with me, he's unbelievable I know but I'm taking the risk. Sane should have a good start and mane will be consistent I feel points wise. Eriksen is aswell a safe bet but I'm a little concerned by spurs this year but I'll see how he'll start. Sessegnon played brilliantly for Fulham last year and I feel he'll have an excellent season, only thing is he's pricey for a promotion player.

Fwd: Auba was a no brainer for me, arsenal have some great fixtures coming and he'll be a beast this season I think. Tosun will be the focal point of Evertons attack so I'm hoping with there decent starting fixtures he should be good.
    Firmino should be solid again this season.

Overall I'm happy, salah is a gamble but I easily change that with downgrade on firmino if needed. Luiz is the one player I might take out before the start but I'll see closer to Friday.

Decided to change my team I feel leaving salah out is a bad choice. So he's back in with Luiz out aswell.

Pickford
    Robertson cedric Daniels
    Salah Sane sessegnon mane
    Tosun aubameyang King

Speroni holebas wan bi Stephens

Knowing me ill change something still but at this stage I don't know. Pedro is tempting instead of sessegnon but he might not start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Damien360 wrote: »
    Current selection:
    Any thoughts
    DeGea (Button)
    King Firmino Aguero
    Happy with the back and forwards. Not sure about the midfield at all. 100m spent

Malone's off to Derby, I have him too :D

Current selection:
    Any thoughts
    DeGea (Button)
    King Firmino Aguero

I'm starting to have last minute doubts myself and am on the verge of changing 4 or 5 players myself.
    Trying to have a strong bench for the first time ever (!) and not fill it with cheap, non-playing fodder, so am thinking of the marginal gains.

For example:

- Is the extra 0.5m for DDG compared to Ederson worth it?
    - Mitro will start for a very attacking Fulham - better than King? I also have a good feeling about Rondón for Newcastle. Good option for 6m.
    - Richarlison only played well for about 8 or 9 games last season - more solid options out there at same/ lower price? Will Everton keep enough clean sheets under Silva for Coleman to be the best option in his price range?
    - Will Pedro be a regular starter? Haven't followed Chelsea's pre-season to be honest

Food for thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

@Paully: Nice team but I'd be a bit worried about double Bournemouth attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ederson (Speroni)

TAA - Bellerin - Diop - Tomkins (Bennett)

Salah - Mane - Moura - Kenedy (Neves)

Aguero - Auba (Jimenez)

Some Notes

GK - Just going to pick one that will play every week for the top six. I may switch Ederson to Leno and Bellerin to Mendy.

Defence - TAA may not start the first weeks so will go with Clyne.

Midfield - Not a lot of love for Kenedy but he impressed me in his six months for Newcastle, getting 51 points in 13 starts, pretty much 4 pts a game. Looks a bargain as he'll be Newcastle's best attacking outlet even with them looking very poor but someone has to get the goals/assists.

- Moura has got good reviews pre season and has had a full one, with Spurs getting a lot of players back late he should be in the starting eleven the first few weeks.

General - Mane/Auba/ to De Bruyne/Firmino will be what I'm looking at in a few weeks, which will give me an extra 1.0m

I'm Wolves bench heavy so I'll have to address that. If Ings ends up somewhere I'll punt him over Jimenez and possibly go with a different 4.0m defender over Bennett. But I'm happy right now and will likely only tweak over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Mourinho not saying he'll start though? He's got himself in good nick!

He should start the first two anyway but once Young is back fit he could lose his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

He should start the first two anyway but once Young is back fit he could lose his place.

Why is Darmian not being chosen?
    Looks to have RB to himself and is the same price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Green&Red wrote: »
    Why is Darmian not being chosen?
    Looks to have RB to himself and is the same price?

Apparently he'll be sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Malone's off to Derby, I have him too :D

So your thinking is his 4M price will be fixed for those who have him now even if the owners sell him during the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

@Paully excellent post, if you are getting Cedric it would be hard not to play him against a severely depleted Burnley, Your pushing me towardsMendy as well!

Don't know why Mourinho never took to Darmian. He always seemed right up his street. Shaw too, for that matter.

Anyway, I digress.

The strength in depth at the clubs in the Top 6 is a real pain for FF. Very tough to get guaranteed starters these days! This delayed 'Back To School' for the boys who played in Russia is annoying too.

Am thinking of throwing caution to the wind by choosing a starting XI made up of players from just 4 or 5 teams. Would it be too risky?

Is it best to spread players across teams and score points slowly and steadily each week OR take a hit every now and again but hope for a perfect storm from your big hitters (nearly all from Top 6 teams) most gameweeks? Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Right....a reshape based on comments. Overhauled midfield

DeGea (button)

Coleman Mendy Robertson (wan bissaka) (Simpson)

Kante DeBruyne Salah Neves (Stephens)

King Firmino Aguero

Only ones bugging me are Neves and King

Any comments
    3 Liverpool, 3 Man City and a spread. Was thinking of Fred with a reshape but not sure about Man Utd at all. DeGea will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So moved away from BB and getting very close to what I want now
    Foster Fab
    robertson mendy luiz wan bissaka peltier
    salah sanchez moura richarlison mcdonald
    austin aguero king
    leaves .5 in bank the doubts are moura who could end up being bilva or pedro( this is my one punty very short term pick)
    and austin who could end up as gray. Ill be WC in first int break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Right....a reshape based on comments. Overhauled midfield

DeGea (button)

Coleman Mendy Robertson (wan bissaka) (Simpson)

Kante DeBruyne Salah Neves (Stephens)

King Firmino Aguero

Only ones bugging me are Neves and King

Any comments
    3 Liverpool, 3 Man City and a spread. Was thinking of Fred with a reshape but not sure about Man Utd at all. DeGea will be busy.

Your original midefield (Richarlson Pedro Salah Myhitaryan (Stephens)) is a million times better,

KDB won't start GW1. Kante is a great player but useless in FPL. Forget about Neves too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Final team:

Goalkeepers Foster (Speroni)
    Decision based purely on FPL track record and budget, where intentions are to invest further up the field. Only other consideration here was DDG which was £1.5m and meant stripping back on the attacking options. Total £8.5m / 8.5%

Defenders Robertson Coleman Daniels
    This will be my starting defence line for the first 3 weeks granted no injuries. All but guaranteed to start. Other considerations were TAA for Robertson but rotation was too risky and Mendy for Daniels. Similar situation to DDG but overall I felt Arsenal will score against Mendy and GW1 is all about getting off to the best possible start. Bench fodder then of Ban Wissaka and Bendarek . Self explanatory here. Total £24m / 24%

Midfielders:
    Salah Mane Bernando Silva Schurrle Jota
    Will be starting all 5 on day 1. Really wanted to be triple Liverpool and triple City but the overall rotation policy and uncertainty on Pep I've settled for 2 Liverpool and 1 City in midfield. The other option was Mahrez over Salah and even recently as tonight Sanchez crossed my mind. However there is way too much of a risk to go without Salah. He looked very sharp v Torino on Tuesday night. Bernando Silva is a cheap way into the City attack and I feel he will start the first couple of games due to his pre-season. We can then reassess after this. Schurrle & Jota are two of the unknown so the speak. I really think Fulham will do well and have a good manager. Schurrle is proven in the premier league and can be the Thomas Muller for Fulham playing in that RF position and scoring bags of goals. We seen at Chelsea he has an eye for goal. I reckon this lad will be the major bandwagon this season so getting on early. Jota is similar to Schurrle but no PL experience. Both huge potential to bandwagon and it's always nice been on early... the Michu of 18/19? The other consideration to these two was Jahanbaksh but having only started featuring in pre-season and expecting a slow start from Brighton, this player is one to watch for now. As noted 42.5% of my budget has gone into my midfield and as such I'm aiming for these to be my highest contributors.

Total: £42.5m / 42.5%

Forwards
    Aguero Zaha
    Bench: Arnautovic

After the Community Shield and almost certain to have City cover, Aguero is a no-brainer. You cannot go without the FPL god. Granted he will be injured in a few weeks and will then look to bring in Aubameyang or Lacazette based on form and more assessment of. Zaha or Arnautovic, given their price and stats in years gone by, 1 of them will become an essential for almost 1/2 the season. One of them will break 15 goals just not sure which one yet. Crazy to think of 1/4 of my budget has gone into my forward as in years gone by it was close to a 1/3 than a 1/4.

Total: £25m / 25%

Any feedback appreciated

Advertisement