Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front garden wall price in Dublin

Options
  • 08-07-2018 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, we are looking to build a standard front garden wall for a semi detached house in North Dublin and wanted to run a price by people here. We spoke with a builder who was building a front wall for people around the corner from us and asked him to give us a quote.

The wall he is building for the other house is approx 1800e, however we already have around 50% of the blocks supplied so he said he would dig the foundation, build the 2 walls, capped + one red brick pillar (but won't plaster the walls) for 1300e.

I've included a picture showing where the proposed wall will be built. Notice there is already a wall on one side with the opposite neighbor. That is essentially what we are looking to build on the other side and front.

https://postimg.cc/image/n5wehgd29/

The questions I have are..
    Is this price reasonable (considering we already have half the blocks needed for the build).

Will we need planning permission? The wall will not exceed 1.2m but are there any other considerations to look for?

We also have permission from the neighbor to build the wall.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

forward8 wrote: »
    Hi, we are looking to build a standard front garden wall for a semi detached house in North Dublin and wanted to run a price by people here. We spoke with a builder who was building a front wall for people around the corner from us and asked him to give us a quote.

The wall he is building for the other house is approx 1800e, however we already have around 50% of the blocks supplied so he said he would dig the foundation, build the 2 walls, capped + one red brick pillar (but won't plaster the walls) for 1300e.

I've included a picture showing where the proposed wall will be built. Notice there is already a wall on one side with the opposite neighbor. That is essentially what we are looking to build on the other side and front.

https://postimg.cc/image/n5wehgd29/

The questions I have are..
    Is this price reasonable (considering we already have half the blocks needed for the build).

Will we need planning permission? The wall will not exceed 1.2m but are there any other considerations to look for?

We also have permission from the neighbor to build the wall.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Sounds like a good price to me - the price of materials v labour for this is small..
    No planning required IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no planning required based on the info supplied.
    Bear in mind the blocks are the cheapest material for the job in question, ie less than a €1 a block so having half of them there doesn't really effect the price too much.

I would say be careful as blocks from one bath may be different in colour and texture to another bath, so it will look out of kilter unless you paint, dash or render the walls afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

kceire wrote: »
    no planning required based on the info supplied.
    Bear in mind the blocks are the cheapest material for the job in question, ie less than a €1 a block so having half of them there doesn't really effect the price too much.

I would say be careful as blocks from one bath may be different in colour and texture to another bath, so it will look out of kilter unless you paint, dash or render the walls afterwards.

Thanks for the reply guys.
    We'll go ahead so.
    Much appreciated.

Advertisement