Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options
  • 08-07-2018 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Some background info:
    To me, the act of running has always seemed to be a big part of my life, from an early age, right through to today.
    Whether it was running up to the shops for errands, running to school, running to the bus stop, running up the stairs, running down the stairs, running to answer the phone, running out the door......running has always come so naturally to me, walking when I could easily walk never even seemed like an option.
    Given my general lack of enthusiasm for very much when I was younger, it never once occurred to me that running might be something that would interest me as more than just something I did while playing with friends.

Fast forward to 2013 and I suddenly decided to invest in a pair of running shoes and see how it all panned out. The motivation was more out of being generally unfit than anything. I knew next to nothing about running and largely ignored the do's and dont's (apart for some token stretching here and there). That's what my memory allows me to believe, although, being quite a sensible person, I'm sure it wasn't all gung-ho. I ran regularly enough for a few months, starting off on the couch to 5k programme which I saw through to its conclusion before progressing to longer distances.
    The following year, I signed up for the Great Ireland Run, my first taste of a proper running event. I went in with no expectations or little knowledge of what time I might have been a realistic goal for me. I finished in 49:42 which I was told at the time was pretty respectful. Not long after that, I started getting pains in my knee and stopped running. That's where that particular chapter ends.

In 2016, after many years of travelling to work on the bus and getting nowhere fast, I decided to avail of the Bike To Work scheme. My journey time to work was cut in half and in the process, I was covering approx 20 miles a day (I still do this on a daily basis). On top of that, I was playing badminton twice a week so my fitness levels were pretty good.

Last October, while watching snippets of the 2017 DCM on tv, I told myself there and then that whatever it took, in a year's time, I would be running the 2018 Dublin City Marathon. Even before registration opened, I told as many people as I could, as a way of making sure there was no excuse for not taking part.
    The following week, I bought a new pair of running shoes (I realised that the pair I had bought five years earlier were one full size too big), some new running tops and shorts, a book on marathon training, and I knew right there that nothing was going to stop me from achieving this goal.
    Again, I started off with baby steps (3/5k runs) at a pace that felt manageable. Those first few weeks - which don't seem like all that long ago - were a bit of a struggle but I persevered. In early February of this year, I started running in the local Park Runs (Griffeen), having somehow never even known of their existence. Again, I was completely unaware of what level I was at and I came in at 23:59 for my first Parkrun. My times got better and better with each week and it was difficult not to run the course each week without feeling a little bit competitive. Not really with anyone else, just with myself. After eight Parkruns, I finally got the sub-20 I was waiting for (once I realised that a sub-20 time was 'a thing'). That just made me want to keep getting faster and faster but I was still always careful to run within my limits.
    My midweek runs, which I managed to squeeze in during my lunch break (and still do) were distances of around 10k, in times of between 48-50 minutes. All I knew was 'run fast'.
    It was a friend who pointed me in the direction of the DCM Novices Thread and I know it was exactly what I need to keep me in check and to make sure that I at least got to the start line in one piece by October.
    So, all told, from mid-November to the start of week 1 of my training schedule, I ran approx 531 miles in total. Just typing that out kind of blows my mind.

DCM Training
    With the help of some very patient and knowledgeable folk on the DCM Novices Thread , I completely understand now just what's ahead of me over the next few months. The only slight hiccup I've experienced physically is what I think may have been a case of shin splints back at the end of May but I couldn't be sure. A week of rest sorted that little problem out, thankfully.
    In general, the training, which is approaching the end of Week 2, has been pretty good. I won't lie, I have had thoughts during the long runs of "this is 10 miles? And I have to run another 10 miles? And an additional 10k on top of it? This is madness!!! But it's exactly thoughts like those that keep me going and going that bit further every time.
    A little concern for me, looking ahead, is the worry that I will not be able to do every single run within the training schedule. Especially given that I am away for two weeks during the beginning of August and have a 14 and 16 mile run to contend with during that time. OUCH!
    Also, all of my runs since November (with the exception of Parkruns) have been solo efforts. Which is fine. I do think though, that I could benefit from a running partner when it comes to the 16/18/20 miles runs further down the line. For now though, it's all good.

PB's so far:
    5k: 19:42 (Parkrun 21/04/18)
    10k: 43:35 (Great Ireland Run 15/04/18)
    Yet to run an actual half marathon. Have signed up to the Dublin half in September.

Future
    With regards to a finish time, I will come straight out with it: 3.30. There, I said it. :D
    It is only really in the last few weeks that I have set myself this target and with each week that passes, it seems to become more and more realistic. I know this is only my first marathon but I really do believe this is something that is within my reach.
    THAT SAID..........Anything under 4 hours, and I will be doing cartwheels for a week (once I get some rest after the marathon).

I love the DMC Novices Thread. I am as addicted to it as much as I am running so thank to to everyone who has helped me along the way so far, this is just the beginning............

Let's do this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Delighted to see you start this log. That's a great ambitious target to have. Use any upcoming races to assess where you are in relation to that time. Have you entered any races? Build the endurance in training. Longer and slower is better than faster over the short distances you are familiar with. Sub 4 shouldn't be a problem once you stick to the basics. For 3:30 make sure your 10 mile and half race pace align in some way before attempting it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Your PB’s are not far off mine when I ran my 1st Marathon in 2016 in Rotterdam where I ran 3.24. Keep the easy stuff easy is all i’ll reiterate to you and you’ll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Delighted to see you start this log. That's a great ambitious target to have. Use any upcoming races to assess where you are in relation to that time. Have you entered any races? Build the endurance in training. Longer and slower is better than faster over the short distances you are familiar with. Sub 4 shouldn't be a problem once you stick to the basics. For 3:30 make sure your 10 mile and half race pace align in some way before attempting it. Best of luck!

Thanks!

All I've entered is the Half marathon in September and I know now that I will be doing the Mullingar 10 mile run on the 28th.

Hopefully that will be enough of a gauge to know how things are shaping up!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Your PB’s are not far off mine when I ran my 1st Marathon in 2016 in Rotterdam where I ran 3.24. Keep the easy stuff easy is all i’ll reiterate to you and you’ll do well.

Thank you, I will for sure!!

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks!

All I've entered is the Half marathon in September and I know now that I will be doing the Mullingar 10 mile run on the 28th.

Hopefully that will be enough of a gauge to know how things are shaping up!

Have you a target time and pace or will you just run Mullingar by feel?

• Advertisement

Have you a target time and pace or will you just run Mullingar by feel?

Well, originally I was considering running it as an lsr but that week's training schedule lsr is 15 miles so I'm really not sure how to approach it.

If I was to run it at pace I guess I would be looking at about 1hr 20 mins (8 mins/mile)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see your log start up and that you are enjoying all of the training etc so much.

Ok, here's a quick re-cap on week 1:

Day 1 (25/06/18) - 3 mile easy run
    Day 2 (26/06/18) - 3 mile easy run
    Day 3 (27/06/18) - 4 mile easy run, 5 x 100m strides
    Day 4 (28/06/18) - 3 mile easy run
    Day 5 (29/06/18) - Rest day
    Day 6 (30/06/18) - 8 mile lsr
    Day 7 (01/07/18) - 2 mile rec run

So glad to have begun the training after building up to over the last few weeks. The strides on Wednesday came at the end of my 4 mile run as recommended and being honest, I probably did them a little too fast. Certainly not planning to run at that pace during the marathon but it felt good giving it a bit of welly nonetheless!
    The 8 mile lsr felt wonderful. Up at 5.45am, left the house at 6am and back by 7:20am. Beautiful morning for it too. Encountered lots of other solo runners and running groups along the way as we wished each other well. The 2 mile recovery run that came the following day was an improvement pace-wise and there's room for things to blow down even more next week. Kept repeating to myself 'this is a recovery run' over and over which kind of helped!
    I feel so lucky to be able to do my midweek easy runs on my lunch break. Such a relief to not have to worry about not being able to squeeze them in during the evening.
    So that's week one done. So far so good........

Week 2 :

Day 8 (02/07/18) - Rest day
    Day 9 (03/07/18) - 3 mile easy run
    Day 10 (04/07/18) - 1 mile w/u, 3 mile easy run, 1 mile c/d
    Day 11 (05/07/18) - 3 mile rec run
    Day 12 (06/07/18) - Rest day
    Day 13 (07/07/18) - 10 mile lsr
    Day 14 (08/07/18) - 2 mile rec run

Took full advantage of the two rest days during this week and felt all the better for it. Cycling into work every day has its benefits but can sometimes leave you feeling knackered by the end of the week!
    The w/u and c/d on the Wednesday was yet another helpful reminder to me of just how there's so much more to running than just 'running'.
    I had some concerns before I took on this challenge when it came to the early weekend runs. Firstly, what if i woke up one of the kids as I was getting ready to leave the house at the crack of dawn? What if the dog started barking in the kitchen just as I was heading out the door? How would I possibly have time for breakfast and still hope to squeeze in a 10/12/14 mile run?
    So far, thankfully this has not been an issue and I've prepared stuff the night before (mainly chopped up oranges, grapes and blueberries and a bottle of water) and left my running kit at the front door. For the longer lsr's, I will probably take some jellies but that would be more to do with satisfying my sweet tooth! Have yet to try any of the gels and because I've never used them, I'm not really sure at what point during a run I should be taking them.
    The 10 mile lsr was just how I'd hoped. Had another very early start (my earliest yet) and once again, the sun was splitting the stones. Being out and about at that time of the morning is definitely a bit surreal but knowing that it's just you alone with your thoughts with nobody around for miles is something that I truly appreciate.
    Unfortunately had to turn down the chance to run with some of the other folk on the DCM Novices thread due to the commitments but hopefully will have another opportunity before long.
    Week 3 can't come quick enough.

I have hill sprints on the brain this week. So much so, that I got it into my head last night that hill sprints were today. Was up early again (another cracker of a morning) and set off at about 6:15.
    Had my route planned out from the night before and I was happy with where I had picked to do the hill sprints. First mile was fine, as usual but it was a few hundred meters into mile two that it suddenly hit me. It's Tuesday today. Hill Sprints TOMORROW, you idiot!
    Then I started doubting whether today's easy run was actually 3 miles or 4 miles. Got completely flummoxed and convinced myself it was 3 miles (which it was) but with all of the confusion, it completely threw me off my pace and mile two ended up being a little too fast for my liking. Got back into my rhythm for mile 3 but overall, not really an enjoyable run.

At least I know know that hill sprints are definitely happening tomorrow......or ARE they??? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the log. Your current 5k and 10k PBs are very close to my own, which suggests that a sub 3:30 marathon is more than achievable if your training goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Very best of luck with the log, will be following this one for sure! Great potential there, just try stay injury free and no doubt you will achieve your target.

Regarding the long runs im sure there will be organised runs in the novices thread, there was last year and a lot of us are still good friends, and three of us recently met up last week for a run. Its so much easier running with a group, im right there with you in agreeing the long runs are boring on your own!

Best of luck with the log. Your current 5k and 10k PBs are very close to my own, which suggests that a sub 3:30 marathon is more than achievable if your training goes well.

Thanks Wubble!

I'm sticking to the plan as rigidly as I can, no major hiccups so far!!

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Very best of luck with the log, will be following this one for sure! Great potential there, just try stay injury free and no doubt you will achieve your target.

Regarding the long runs im sure there will be organised runs in the novices thread, there was last year and a lot of us are still good friends, and three of us recently met up last week for a run. Its so much easier running with a group, im right there with you in agreeing the long runs are boring on your own!

Thanks Damo!

Yes, I will certainly keep an eye out for any upcoming group runs in the coming weeks!

Haven't really experienced what i would call 'boredom' but I can see how it would begin to be a struggle to keep your mind off the fact that you are running on your own, while you are running on your own!

Hill sprints today (no mistaking it this time). Had an unexpected day off work so no need to head out on an early run which was welcome.

I decided before I left the house, that I would break up the 5 mile run into a 3 mile/hill sprints/2 mile session as I figured that I would need a decent cool down run after the exertion of the sprints.

The sprints kind of took me by surprise in a way but I felt well able for them. I gave it a fair bit of welly but was careful not to push too hard either. Allowed myself about a minute and a half between each of the 5 sprints (just under 100 metres) and after I'd finished, my legs felt light as a feather for some reason. Took it easy for the last two miles.

Had an extremely kind and generous offer from another Boardie on the DCM thread of a place in this Saturday's Irish Runner 10 mile which I gladly accepted. Really looking forward to it. A little bit nervous but I'm confident that I'll do a good time.

4 mile easy run tomorrow which I will do to start the day with. Bring it on!

Oh yeah, I just realised last week that I live right across the road from a prominent runner on the Irish running scene. I'm spoilt rotten!

:D

Up with the birds again this morning for a 4 mile run, it's the new 'normal'.

My mind is solely on this Saturday's Irish Runner 10 mile. Collected my race number and t-shirt today and felt waves of excitement and nerves.

This is all starting to get very real. Will definitely give it my best shot, aiming for a 1:15 finish which I'll be quite happy with. Haven't run any races since April's Great Ireland Run and I got a great buzz from the crowds and fellow runners that day. Hopefully I'll have the legs to get me through this one........

Why am I nervous? I've been doing 10 mile runs for fun for the last few months.
    ARGH!!! :(

IRISH RUNNER 10 MILE RACE:
    My first 10 mile race today and it did not start off well. Woke up with a pounding headache despite being well rested after a good night's sleep. Stayed with me for most of the journey into town but thankfully started to disappear shortly after.
    The sky was back to its beautiful blue after a couple of days of welcome overcast weather and I was a little concerned that the heat - even at that hour of the morning - might prevent me from achieving my target time of 1:15. I wasn't going to be too upset though and figured if I was in or around that time, I'd go home happy.
    Started off with a light 2 mile warm up in the park about 3/4 of an hour from the start time which gave me plenty of time to drop my bag off, do a few more stretches and chill out for bit.
    Once we were gathered at the gantry, I made a bee line for the 80 minute pacer and figured that if I stuck with him, I'd have a pretty good chance of crossing the finish line in a respectable enough time.
    Off we went just after 10am, and from the off, thanks to our pacer, the pace was just perfect for me. There were about 15 - 20 of us who ran pretty much shoulder to shoulder with him for miles 1 - 5. I was really surprised at how comfortable I felt during this first half of the race and began having thoughts of the DCM and whether following pacer for the entire race would be something I'd be capable of. My breathing was controlled and I was totally relaxed. We ran through some parts of the park that I never even new existed, and there was some nice friendly chat between us and our pacer Jamie along the way. Everyone was in great form.
    Once we hit mile 6, I felt my legs beginning to tire just a little and the pacer, along with the initial group I was with from the beginning, started to pull away slightly but were by no means out of reach. It was at this point that I noticed a lot of runners taking walk breaks which was not something I really wanted to contemplate and before long, I felt like I was able to start picking up the pace again and caught up with the group once again.
    It was around the 8 mile mark (I think) that I started to pull away from the group slightly but knew that it would be foolish to go all gung-ho even at that stage. Then out of nowhere, I started waning again. Probably less than I felt I was but I was conscious of it nonetheless and it immediately brought thoughts of October and started wondering how on earth I was going to manage to stay on my feet for three times this distance and then some. I simply couldn't see it happening. I noticed that exactly 1 hour had elapsed and I knew then that I would not reach my target time, considering how I was feeling.
    Once again though, I found another burst of energy and ran a pretty decent final mile and half, making one last sprint to the finish line, passing a good few runners along the way. Official time was 1:18:02. Great to hear your name called out as you cross that line and there were handshakes all round between complete strangers which really makes the experience worthwhile.

Had a bit of a rest, little bit of sustenance and capped it off with a 1.5 mile cool down run before the bus journey home.

Great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great read Coogy. That mental battle with yourself goes on in every race. There are some great posters here who describe it really well. Swashbuckler is brilliant at it. Good job and great pacing too.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great read Coogy. That mental battle with yourself goes on in every race. There are some great posters here who describe it really well. Swashbuckler is brilliant at it. Good job and great pacing too.

Thanks Kellygirl. The mental battle is something I'm slowly becoming accustomed to but coupled with an almost inherent sense of self doubt at times like this, it's twice the battle.

Still, I take great encouragement from every single other runner I see crossing that finish line. It all helps!!! :)

Is it Saturday yet? :D

I'm referring to my lsr, not the South Dublin 10k. Would love to do that race as it's in my home town of Clondalkin but I've other commitments that day.

One thing I haven't mentioned up till now is the recent weight loss I experienced which drew comments (and some concern) from my wife, some family members and work colleagues.
    The weight seemed to drop off me really quickly around late May/early June. Thing is, I didn't really have any excess weight to lose in the first place so before I knew it, I was tightening my belt another couple of notches and summer clothes from 2017 were actually falling off me. I know now, looking back, that I wasn't getting the right amount of nutrition. I was so caught up in the running side of it that my pre and post-race meals were nowhere near what I should have been eating.
    I've thankfully managed to get on top of it now and have put on some weight in the last couple of weeks, although probably not as much as I need to. I am very conscious of it though and I know how important all over body strength is at times like this so am still trying to fatten up some more!

Is it Saturday yet? :D

What's on Saturday?

What's on Saturday?

My lsr (13 miles). I thought the South Dublin 10k was Saturday too. Just realised it's Sunday!

My lsr (13 miles). I thought the South Dublin 10k was Saturday too. Just realised it's Sunday!

Ah right. So any lessons learnt from yesterday or was the day and performance pretty much as expected?

Not so much lessons learnt. More that I came away that bit closer to understanding the challenge that will face me in October. As for the way I ran yesterday, I think I ran a sensible race. I knew that 80 minutes was well within my reach if I remained sensible about it. My last mile and a half was the only time I allowed myself to really test myself.
    Interestingly enough, it was at the 6 mile stage that I clocked my time and saw that it was around the 47 minute mark. My finish time at this year's Great Ireland Run was 43:35 and my experience and the way I managed my run that day could not have been any different than yesterday. Back in April, all I knew was that I had to get as good a time as possible. I knew next to nothing about the benefits of pacing my run. Little wonder I wheezed my way around the course for most of the second half of the race, despite the decent finish time.
    Had I done that yesterday, I'd have been spent by mile 7 or 8.
    Also - and I'm sure this is the same for everyone - I ran yesterday with knowing that 10 miles was the target. You're focused on getting to the finish line and how you feel throughout the run is more or less based on how far you've already run and how far you have left to go. I guess it's all pretty relative depending on what distance you are running. My worry yesterday, as I begun mile 10, was that I could not envisage myself feeling that way during that stage of the marathon with another 16 miles yet to run.

I know that as the miles increase during the the training, it will get easier but those moments of self-doubt are almost impossible to shake off. I have to say though, I was extremely happy with my finish, I gave it absolute socks!

Don't make comparisons between how you felt yesterday and how you will feel after 10 miles of DCM. You will be running at a slower pace and if all goes to plan you will feel like you are only warming up after 10 miles! That's all for later in the plan though, for now just enjoy the runs and races.

WEEK 4 (already??)

I have been following the advice of the mentors on the DCM novices thread and making sure that I get plenty of rest during the week.

Before all of 'this' started taking over my life, I would have considered myself something of a night owl and it would not be unusual for me to be hitting the hay at 2am. Thankfully, those late nights are now a thing of the past, there's no way on earth I could function otherwise.

Took me a couple of days to get over the 10 mile race from last Saturday. A few foam rolling sessions seemed to have helped.

Rest day yesterday (apart from the usual cycle commute to and from work) so I was raring to go this morning. Had another early night last night and woke this morning earlier than I had set my alarm for (definitely a pattern emerging here). Got up anyway after deliberating over whether or not I should allow myself an extra 5 minutes in bed. Adapted the necessary stealth-like movements throughout the house as I made my way downstairs and out the door. I know every single creaky floorboard and squeaky door like the back of my hand. Those navy seals have nothing on me.

Today's run was 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace and 1 mile c/d.
    The warm up and cool down cool down parts of the run were fine but I questioned the pace I used for the 4 mile run inbetween. It was steady enough but as I'm wont to do, I was worried it was too fast a pace. It was pretty much identical to how I ran last Saturday (if not a fraction slower) so I was by no means overdoing it. Lots of runners out this morning, even at that early hour. Some of them keep the head down, other with give you a knowing nod as if to say "yes, I'm crazy too, but isn't it great?"
    During the run, thoughts once again switched to October but this time, not in a negative way. I hope that I allow myself to enjoy the actual experience on the day.

Back to the house and everyone (apart from the dog) was still asleep which was a relief.

Aaaaaaaaand...........while typing this, I've just realised that I did tomorrow's run today by mistake.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue_zpstdk3xmu9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

WEEK 4 (already??)

I have been following the advice of the mentors on the DMC novices thread and making sure that I get plenty of rest during the week.

Before all of 'this' started taking over my life, I would have considered myself something of a night owl and it would not be unusual for me to be hitting the hay at 2am. Thankfully, those late nights are now a thing of the past, there's no way on earth I could function otherwise.  

Took me a couple of days to get over the 10 mile race from last Saturday. A few foam rolling sessions seemed to have helped.

Rest day yesterday (apart from the usual cycle commute to and from work) so I was raring to go this morning. Had another early night last night and woke this morning earlier than I had set my alarm for (definitely a pattern emerging here). Got up anyway after deliberating over whether or not I should allow myself an extra 5 minutes in bed. Adapted the necessary stealth-like movements throughout the house as I made my way downstairs and out the door. I know every single creaky floorboard and squeaky door like the back of my hand. Those navy seals have nothing on me.

Today's run was 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace and 1 mile c/d.
    The warm up and cool down cool down parts of the run were fine but I questioned the pace I used for the 4 mile run inbetween. It was steady enough but as I'm wont to do, I was worried it was too fast a pace. It was pretty much identical to how I ran last Saturday (if not a fraction slower) so I was by no means overdoing it. Lots of runners out this morning, even at that early hour. Some of them keep the head down, other with give you a knowing nod as if to say "yes, I'm crazy too, but isn't it great?"
    During the run, thoughts once again switched to October but this time, not in a negative way. I hope that I allow myself to enjoy the actual experience on the day.

Back to the house and everyone (apart from the dog) was still asleep which was a relief.

Aaaaaaaaand...........while typing this, I've just realised that I did tomorrow's run today by mistake.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue_zpstdk3xmu9.jpg
    and by reading this I too would of done said session tonight, good man Coogy 8-)

• Advertisement

For the first time in a while, woke up this morning feeling really tired so no early morning run for me today.

Have to say, am truly amazed at the level of commitment I am seeing from others with their early morning starts. Very inspiring.

3 mile easy run today (which is what I should have done yesterday) and a recovery run tomorrow before Saturday's 13 mile easy run. If I don't get a couple of early nights between now and Saturday I know I won't be able to get up at a decent time. Or I will and I'll not be rested enough.

Need to start increasing the frequency of my my core workouts too. Feels like I'm just doing the bare minimum at the moment.

Advertisement