Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super running, very consistent pacing, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    Super running, very consistent pacing, well done!

Thanks E!
    Yesterday's race has done my confidence the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Very nicely done indeed K, delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done K. Glad you raced it and glad it worked out well. Stop doubting yourself, you're good at this running lark :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Brilliant running in the middle of a training block, great pacing too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific, well raced.

Brilliant running in the middle of a training block, great pacing too!

Haha, I wish I was in the middle of a training block C, am only barely three weeks into it!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

coogy wrote: »
    Haha, I wish I was in the middle of a training block C, am only barely three weeks into it!! :o

The first 3 weeks are the hardest with those hills ;)

Grads plan - Week 4

Monday 11th March - 30 mins recovery run. 3.17m @9:34
    Legs had been feeling a little stiff for most of the day after the efforts of the previous day so was glad of this rainy evening workout.

Tuesday 12th March - 60 min run very easy pace. 6.28m @9:25
    Off work for the morning as I had a funeral to go to so squeezed this in after dropping the kids off to school. "I hope we're getting the weather you're hoping for" was said to me on more than one occasion in the schoolyard. In fairness, it was Baltic.

Wednesday 13th March - Warm up, 6 x 2 mins AP (6:35-6:45) w/3 mins rec. cool down. 6.75 m @9.35
    Set the alarm early for this one but when I heard the wind outside, I had second thoughts and hit 'snooze'. Used my lunch break in work to get this done and was on my way down to PP when I passed the Croppy Acre park, just on the doorstep of Collins Barracks. A perfect location for the session I was about to do. Wind was still swirling wildly as I started off on the first rep and I knew that this would be an interesting session with the wind at my back on one side and on the other, the wind right in my face.
    As I expected, the wind played a big part and at times had to really push hard into the wind to keep up the desired pace. Finished with a light jog back up the quays to O'Connell bridge before the battery on my Garmin ran out. Good timing!

Thursday 14th March - Rest day
    Had planned again to set off early this morning but once again, hearing the wind outside put me off so decided to make today a rest day.
    Even with the miserable weather, lots of runners and running groups out and about during the evening which I always find hard to watch, especially if I'm having a rest day. I think that I might join my local running group next week. They're well established and they have a really good range of running abilities among them. I spotted a few of them in Bohermeen last week, finishing a couple of minutes after I crossed the line and had a bit of a chat with them about it afterwards. I figure I could slot in my easy midweek runs if I was to join in. Will give it some more thought. I do like running on my own but at he same time, I know I would benefit from running with a group occasionally (how long have I been saying THAT for??)
    Ended up doing 15-20 mins core exercises.

Friday 15th March - 60 min run very easy pace. 6.27m @9:43
    I don't actually remember doing this, even though it was only two days ago. Losing it big time. :rolleyes:

Saturday 16th March - Warm up, 4 x 6 mins @ threshold (7:11 - 7:21) w/2mins rec, cooldown. 3.76m @8.03
    Weather once again was shocking but after checking out the forecast, I knew that if I didn't get out early enough, I'd be sorry. Wind and rain were pretty much relentless throughout and when the wind was against me, it really was against me.
    Despite, or perhaps, because of the weather conditions, I really enjoyed this session. Was soaked through at the end but for me, that just adds to the enjoyment of running in the elements, no matter what they might be.

Sunday 17th March - 70 mins easy. 7.75m @9.08
    Beautiful morning after yesterday's torrential downpours. Very cold though with icy patches on parts of the ground so had to watch my footing at times. Got to see the most beautiful sunrise from Catherine's Park. Stunning.
    Junior Parkrun is back in the picture! His new trainers seemed to do the trick! :)

Miles for the week - 34
    Miles for year to date - 360

Just a side note regarding last week's half marathon. Even though I ran well and was thrilled with my time, a small part of me feels like I cheated or disrespected the plan, just because I had some point to prove. Probably not the wisest decision I've ever made in hindsight but once I'd made up my mind, I wasn't going to be swayed. Need to be more patient from here on in and not constantly feel like I have to keep setting PB's and running impressive times. Lots of time for all that. That said, wouldn't mind taking on a 10k race soon. It was in my mind to run the GIR next month but might hold off for now and just concentrate on the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Nice week of running in tough weather conditions and on the back of a fast half race last Sunday. Fair play.
    I’ve read somewhere it takes a day per mile to recover after a race that you’ve raced.
    I can completely relate to your point on the constant feeling of striving for pb’s, Ive no solution for you but completely understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

K there is no reason to feel that you disrespected the plan. There is nothing wrong with racing from time to time during a plan. The most important thing is that you make sure to allow for some recovery after the race and omit the Saturday session from the plan if it's a Sunday race. Doing 2 full on sessions each week either side of a longer race probably isn't the best for you at this point. Over training eventually bites back in the form of niggles or injury.

As for PB hunting, just relax. They will come flowing for you. I'd wager it'll be a long time until you run a race that's not a PB!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

squeezed this in after dropping the kids off to school. "I hope we're getting the weather you're hoping for" was said to me on more than one occasion in the schoolyard. In fairness, it was Baltic.
    I laughed at this. I've gotten weird looks on more than one occasion as I drop off or collect in shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else is kitted out for an arctic expedition.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Doing 2 full on sessions each week either side of a longer race probably isn't the best for you at this point. Over training eventually bites back in the form of niggles or injury.

Thanks S.

It was actually in my head to ask about how to adapt this week's runs following last weekend but I totally forgot (as with lots of other things!) :rolleyes:

Grads plan - Week 5

Monday 18th March - 60 mins very easy run. 6.16m @9:53
    Knowing that this this week would be a bit of a mixed bag, I was prepared mentally (I think) for the prospect of no weekend runs so I had to tweak this week's schedule by bringing everything back a day. This was an evening run, just about experiencing the last bit of daylight.

Tuesday 19th March - Warm up, hills session (8 x 1 min hill sprints w/ 2-3 mins rec), cool down.
    Had nothing prepared for this morning so had no choice for this to be an evening session. Woke up tired which did not bode well and by the time I got around to doing this it was much later than I had planned.
    Really felt it in the legs for the last three reps and it showed in the pace (7:40-ish compared to about 6:35-6:50 for the first five or six).

Thursday 21st March - 60 mins very easy run. 6.27m @9:40
    Instantly regretted not doing the previous day's 60 min easy run. Just been one of those crazy weeks so had to strike it off.

Friday 22nd March - Warm up, 15 mins tempo (7:44-7:32) w/4mins rec, 10 mins threshold (7:21-7:11), cool down
    First early start in what seemed like forever. Amazed at just how quickly the bright mornings are coming in. Three weeks ago, it would have been pitch black. Had a 1.5 mile-ish warm up before starting this session. Noticed straight away that it was deceptively windy and when it came to doing the tempo and threshold paces, I felt that the pace was a little off. One thing I notice about the speed sessions is how quickly the time goes. Before I knew it, the 15 mins tempo was up and part of me was disappointed there wasn't more!

Saturday 23rd March - Off
    McDonalds for lunch. Enough said. :rolleyes:

Sunday 24th March - Off
    Could have done this at about 9pm but after a knackering weekend and a lot of catching up of other stuff to do, had to call it quits.

Miles for the week - a frustrating 23.6
    Miles for the year - 387

I finished a book earlier in the week that I would really recommend called 'The Runner' by a guy called Markus Torgeby. It's about his experiences of heading off into the remote Swedish forest to live as a recluse for four years and dedicate himself to his passion for running. Might not be for everyone but I found it very inspiring so thought I'd share it here. Definitely worth checking out.

Lastly, I would like to echo Skyblue's sentiments and marvel at the dedication of everyone in getting through their respective plans and subsequent pb's, not to mention the positivity and determination shown by those who, for various reasons, are unfortunate enough not to be able to run for the time being. Fair play to you all!!!!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 6

Monday 25th March - 60 mins very easy run. 3.84m @9:39
    Desperately wanted to make up some ground from my limited running last week. Was a perfect morning for running and after about 30 mins, was sorely tempted to do a whole hour but that ain't in the plan!

Tuesday 26th March - 60 mins very easy run. 6.24m @9:40
    Decided to stay a little closer to home compared to my usual route for this particular run and was glad of it. Ran mostly on grass.

Wednesday 27th March - 5 x 5 mins CV (6:50:7:00) w/3-4 mins rec.
    Back down to Griffeen Park for this and again, stuck to grass, mainly. I always start these sessions thinking that I won't need the full suggested recovery time but I always do! Most of the recoveries were brisk walks and a few light drills, nothing too strenuous.
    My pacing, for once, was bang on for each of the reps.

Thursday 28th March - REST
    Was planning to do a 20 minute core workout but too much happening!!! There are some days when there's just not a spare minute to do anything!
    On the bright side, I had completely forgotten that we were off to Llandudno in Wales with my wife's family next weekend to celebrate her parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Naturally, I will be bringing 'my gear' and I was taking a look at some potential routes, especially for the long Sunday run and I was very excited to see what awaits me. The cliffs of the Great Orme headland that juts into the sea are where I'm headed and I cannot wait. Not just because of the change of scenery but the views will be spectacular.
    It might be necessary for me to do something similar to last week by bringing all of my runs back a day so I could potentially be doing this run on the Saturday morning (Saturday night could be messy!).

Friday 29th March - 60 mins easy/very easy run. 6.34m @9:34
    As with most rest days, the following day, I am itching to get back out there and this was no different. Again, stuck to mainly grass for this, my feet soaked from the dew but that's quite a nice feeling if you ask me.

Saturday 30th March - 3 x 8 mins @ threshold w/3 mins rec (incl w/u & c/d)
    Really enjoyed this, even though I felt that I had to push hard at times (nobody said it was meant to be easy, I guess). Perhaps for sessions like this, I should give my body a chance to wake up a little more before heading out the door on the morning, especially at weekends. Happy again with the pacing side of
    things.Ran this on half grass/half tarmac.

Sunday 31st March - 1hr, 50 mins easy run. 11.73m @ 9.23
    Woke up the same time as yesterday but this time to darkness outside as a result of the clocks going forward an hour. Running through parts of Catherine's Park in the semi-darkness was a little unnerving if I'm being honest but by the time I got to the upper reaches it was mostly bright and just before I made my descent, the sight of everything in the distance below covered in a shroud of early morning mist was magical. Was unsure at one stage of this run if I'd gotten the mileage for this route all wrong as it seemed like I was miles away with not that long left to go but it turned out that I was only out by about 5 minutes.
    Had some doubts about my pacing for the easy/very easy runs I've been doing lately. I think I should make more of an effort to run them at a slightly slower pace over the coming weeks.

Junior Parkrun followed shortly after (23rd out of 140 runners :D) but not before much deserved fuss was made over the OH. Mother's Day morning is one of the few times during the year that I am given free reign in the kitchen to do whatever the hell I want.......:) Thankfully the results were well received! :cool:

Miles for the week - 43.6

Miles for the year - 427

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Honestly didn't know what was going on when I saw the time you headed out for Sundays run at? Was very concerned :pac:

A great weeks mileage, well done!

Grads 10k-Half marathon plan - Week 7

Monday 1st April - Off
    I knew in advance that due to external factors this would be a far from memorable week. Work was getting insanely busy, drawing commissions are coming in thick and fast and a trip to Wales to prepare for. It was my intention to bring everything back a day this week but that plan fell flat on its face when Monday came and went with no time to squeeze in even 60 mins.

Tuesday 2nd April - 60 mins easy. 6.07m @ 9:39
    Planned to run into work but left it too late so decided to leave the run till the evening on the way home. Had to stay in work later than planned and with the prospect of another abandoned run looming, I'll come clean and admit that I had no choice but to run all 9 miles home (only the last 6 were recorded on Strava). The unplanned mileage along with the wind, hail and rain made it a largely unpleasant experience.

Wednesday 3rd April - 10 x 300 @1 mile pace (6:42-6:30) w/ 1 min rec
    Was a cold enough morning and started with the the usual 1.5 mile warm up.
    Was happy with the consistency of the pacing for each of the reps but this session felt like it was over much too soon, left me wondering if I'd missed out on a rep or two but I think I covered them all.

Thursday 4th April - 69 mins easy. 6.30m @ 9:30
    Another runmute but this time a morning one and ran part of it through the PP on the way into the city centre, albeit briefly.

Friday 5th April - Off
    Hoping to get the second session of the week done today but not to be. Didn't have the energy to bother getting annoyed about it, too much else to think about.

Saturday 6th April - Off

Sunday 7th April - 1hr 45 mins easy run. 11.20m @ 9:23
    Landed in Wales the day before and even though I brought my running gear, I had to put this run out of my head and just go with the flow. Thankfully Saturday night wasn't a late one so the head was clear enough when I woke for this. Outside, it was still semi-dark and I wanted to properly experience the views from Great Orme so I started off with the 5 mile loop of Llandudno before heading up there.
    By the time I reached it, daylight had fully appeared and I began the climb. Naturally, there were peaks and troughs of uphill and downhill paths but I did not expect the uphill climbs along the first half to be so punishing. As I expected, the views were breathtaking and it would have been rude not to stop for the odd photo, none of which really did the view justice. It was an odd experience tbh, mainly down to the desolate surroundings, save for a few other runners and one or two early morning walkers.
    Thankfully the path levelled out before the descent as I came back around in to Llandudno town, finishing along the promenade, right outside our hotel exactly on the 1hr, 45m mark. Really enjoyed that.
    Kept a close eye on Applegirl's progress in the Manchester marathon afterwards and was silently cheering her on throughout. Delighted for her getting her pb, the very least she deserved after making her way through an inspiring training block to get herself to the start line. Also buoyed by the news of AMK's performance in Rotterdam. Have been following his log for a while and it was thrilling to see all that training bearing fruit by finishing in an incredible time.

Another side note after this week's log......the unpredictable nature of the last few days left me having a bit of a think about the effect that running is having on my daily routine. I now seem to be revolving pretty much everything else around running and this was one particular week that I felt it was having a detrimental effect. With another busy week approaching, I've had serious thoughts about giving myself a week off.
    Although it could be be beneficial in the long run, a part of me is reluctant to apply the brakes halfway through the plan, especially when I'm now beginnning to really see the benefits of the first 7 weeks.

Will take this week as it comes and figure it out but I really don't want this to become 'a thing'.

Miles for the week - 29.09

Miles for the year - 456

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Tuesday 2nd April - 60 mins easy. 6.07m @ 9:39
    Planned to run into work but left it too late so decided to leave the run till the evening on the way home. Had to stay in work later than planned and with the prospect of another abandoned run looming, I'll come clean and admit that I had no choice but to run all 9 miles home (only the last 6 were recorded on Strava). The unplanned mileage along with the wind, hail and rain made it a largely unpleasant experience.

If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen. You're "allowed" add half an hour very easy to some runs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Another side note after this week's log......the unpredictable nature of the last few days left me having a bit of a think about the effect that running is having on my daily routine. I now seem to be revolving pretty much everything else around running and this was one particular week that I felt it was having a detrimental effect. With another busy week approaching, I've had serious thoughts about giving myself a week off.
    Although it could be be beneficial in the long run, a part of me is reluctant to apply the brakes halfway through the plan, especially when I'm now beginnning to really see the benefits of the first 7 weeks.

Will take this week as it comes and figure it out but I really don't want this to become 'a thing'.

Following a plan is fine when you're in a good routine with home/family/work life but when the routine goes out the window it does get challenging but none of us elites here, life has to be lived too and a bit of flexibility has to be applied at times. I'd take the pressure off yourself for a few days at least - run when it suits, run easy, enjoy your runs. There's no point getting to the stage where you resent it and hit a wall with it. That's just my tuppence worth :)

Out of interest can i ask why you didn't record all of the 9 mile commute during the week, it's not clear from your log if it was intentional?

That run in Wales sounds amazing - well done.

+1 to everything E said there. Balance is important. You don't want to be resenting work or home duties for preventing you from running or vice versa.

As the other E mentioned there is a notes tab attached to the plans which 'allows' for an extra 30 mins to be added 2/3 times per week for additional mileage if you see fit and it doesn't over tire you.

The Welsh run looked and sounded great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Take the pressure off yourself this week and run if/when you can & run easy and get back into the plan next week.

There's a difference between life getting in the way and just making excuses not to run. Remember to enjoy your runs but don't make them the sole focus of your week or as E said above you will start to resent your running.

Sometimes we can put too much pressure on ourselves and after all its suppose to be good for our mind & body.

ariana` wrote: »
    )
    Out of interest can i ask why you didn't record all of the 9 mile commute during the week, it's not clear from your log if it was intentional?

Haha, yes I forgot to mention that! I left my wallet behind that morning so had no other means of getting home!

As for not recording all 9 miles on Strava?.........

Pure and utter guilt. :)

Haha, yes I forgot to mention that! I left my wallet behind that morning so had no other means of getting home!

As for not recording all 9 miles on Strava?.........

Pure and utter guilt. :)

Haha...you'll have to give up on that oul guilt stuff, it's bad for you. Remember that you can't be chained to a plan. Life gets in the way.

Younganne wrote: »
    Take the pressure off yourself this week and run if/when you can & run easy and get back into the plan next week.

There's a difference between life getting in the way and just making excuses not to run. Remember to enjoy your runs but don't make them the sole focus of your week or as E said above you will start to resent your running.

Sometimes we can put too much pressure on ourselves and after all its suppose to be good for our mind & body.

Thanks Younganne, I appreciate that.

Just couldn't see the wood for the trees last week. Feeling a lot more 'with it' this week so I think I will carry on but will definitely make a conscious effort to be less hard on myself in future for missing the odd run here and there.

+1 to everything E said there. Balance is important. You don't want to be resenting work or home duties for preventing you from running or vice versa.

As the other E mentioned there is a notes tab attached to the plans which 'allows' for an extra 30 mins to be added 2/3 times per week for additional mileage if you see fit and it doesn't over tire you.

The Welsh run looked and sounded great.

Thanks S. You're dead right, balance is key!!

Am my own worst enemy at times!!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    You're "allowed" add half an hour very easy to some runs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers E! I wish I'd known that sooner!! ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen.

Haha, I'll bear that in mind!! :cool:

Cheers E! I wish I'd known that sooner!! ;)

RTFM!

RTFM!

Like the way I set you up there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Well, I've stumbled on another long running running log I should have known about before . . .I am like a blind person in a forest. Am well impressed with the amount of detail you go into and the dedication you have to do all the plans properly. Doesn't matter if the odd week is off, the consistency is there overall. It's a pretty cool thing to look back at to see how far you've come. Your natural talent and dedication will bring you far.

• Advertisement

Thanks M! Really appreciate that. I enjoy updating the log just as much as I enjoy actually running. I try to be as honest as possible too, I find it really helps when you write about the highs and the lows. Great to look back on stuff like that to make you realise just how much progress you've made.....

Advertisement