Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

July 12th - An Orgy of Hate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

timthumbni wrote: »
    The bogside showing exactly what they are famous for again.

Facing down a gang of barely-literate sectarian thugs in RUC uniforms?

That was 1969.

No I’m talking about the presumably catholic/Irish republican youths and elders of the bogside carrying out endless petrol bomb and other style attacks against the small last remaining cityside unionist community. I guess this is what the marches in 1969 were for too then...

Are you saying those who have been lobbing petrol bombs into the fountain estate and worse still those brave Irish republican heroes who fired a gun attempting to murder police were literate then?

Literate but still with the hate. That’s bogside Irish republicans for you. They could read a book but would use that book to help them light a petrol bomb to throw at a Protestant afterwards. Lovely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

What is going to happen in Belfast tomorrow is more the worry. There is an air of menace in East Belfast again. Travel up the Malone Road or past the Short Strand or Tigers Bay and there feels like trouble about.

Hope I`m wrong and its just a few hooligans on the loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Can we stop calling derry, *Londonderry *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    What is going to happen in Belfast tomorrow is more the worry. There is an air of menace in East Belfast again. Travel up the Malone Road or past the Short Strand or Tigers Bay and there feels like trouble about.

Hope I`m wrong and its just a few hooligans on the loose

“The Malone road” ??? In Belfast..... The only trouble up there is what brand of champagne they will be popping for the tennis.

• Advertisement

deco nate wrote: »
    Can we stop calling derry, *Londonderry *

I’m a unionist from NI mate. So the answer would be a no from me....

Patww79 wrote: »

You'd hardly be calling the 1993 All-Ireland winners by that name surely Pat....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No is a popular answer in the North

Dr. Bre wrote: »

No is a popular answer in the North

If that was the correct answer to a question put I suppose it would.

• Advertisement

That's it's proper name isn't it?

If you're British. Irish it's derry.it's always derry, can't believe I had to post this.

deco nate wrote: »
    That's it's proper name isn't it?

If you're British. Irish it's derry.

Actually I have used the term Derry plenty of times before but I was no less British than I was before using it. Even uncle Gerry’s replacement Mary Lou has recently referred to Londonderry and I assume you won’t be accusing her of being British. So your argument is nonsense to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

You'd have to feel sorry for them. There's a vibrant rich thriving culture to the south, a sense of pride, and a recovering economy whilst there left marching in summer heat about some fella crossing a river a few hundred years ago.

Well in all fairness, it's one of my biggest peeves when the British use terms like 'the south', 'free state', 'the republic', etc for us instead of Ireland. Does my shíte in. So it'd be fairly hypocritical not to call one of their cities by its proper name.
    But that is what we are, what are ya on about?
    It's DERRY. and we are a free state... The Republic, and we are "the South"
    ?? Why would it do your head in? All of the above is true.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The majority of the population in Derry city call it Derry so get used to it being called Derry. I have moderate unionist friends in Bangor/North Down who call it Derry. I bet you despise everything and sveryone South of the border.

Attitudes like yours are precicely why the vast populace of the Republic dont want unification any time soon. Apart from the economic basket case NI is these days, the tribal hatreds are just too much crap to deal with. Also the Republic is now decades ahead of the North in social terms. So rest easy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

FionnK86 wrote: »
    You'd have to feel sorry for them. There's a vibrant rich thriving culture to the south, a sense of pride, and a recovering economy whilst there left marching in summer heat about some fella crossing a river a few hundred years ago.

Have you missed the whole gang land war in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can accept that, but when you call Free Derry corner, Free Londonderry Corner, you're just being as ass, and you know it.

I work with, and know many people from a Unionist/Loyalist/Protestant background, and none of them call it Londonderry.

It tends to be outsiders who call it that.

JupiterKid wrote: »

The majority of the population in Derry city call it Derry so get used to it being called Derry. I have moderate unionist friends in Bangor/North Down who call it Derry. I bet you despise everything and sveryone South of the border.

Attitudes like yours are precicely why the vast populace of the Republic dont want unification any time soon. Apart from the economic basket case NI is these days, the tribal hatreds are just too much crap to deal with. Also the Republic is now decades ahead of the North in social terms. So rest easy...

Your bet would be a wild one and like most bets you woul lose. The Republic of Ireland is a pretty decent country to live in I’m sure it’s just I don’t feel any affinity to it. I dont despise it as you put it at all. You need to calm the hysterics down a tad. As for economic basket case wasn’t that you lot not that many years ago? Didn’t the British have to lend you a fair few bob?

Decades ahead in social terms?.. what does that actually mean?. Pretty subjective term I would think...

• Advertisement

This country is called Ireland. That is a fact.

We are a Republic, we are divided... North and South.
    We are a free state. All of this is true, also we are Ireland. But there is two parts. We are Ireland, the North is part of the UK...

Your bet would be a wild one and like most bets you woul lose. The Republic of Ireland is a pretty decent country to live in I’m sure it’s just I don’t feel any affinity to it. I dont despise it as you put it at all. You need to calm the hysterics down a tad. As for economic basket case wasn’t that you lot not that many years ago? Didn’t the British have to lend you a fair few bob?

Decades ahead in social terms?.. what does that actually mean?. Pretty subjective term I would think...
    7 billion, you want it back now? What do you think would have happened if the UK didn't help out? Serious question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

They had the warm up last weekend in Glasgow. just to get themselves into the swing of it.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/church-centre-orange-walk-priest-12890657

NIMAN wrote: »

Can accept that, but when you call Free Derry corner, Free Londonderry Corner, you're just being as ass, and you know it.

I work with, and know many people from a Unionist/Loyalist/Protestant background, and none of them call it Londonderry.

It tends to be outsiders who call it that.

That particular one was a bit of a joke. Though when you see the linguistical gymnastics that many nationalists do when it comes to saying Northern Ireland I don’t have much sympathy.

I’m certainly not an outsider as I’m from the area.

That particular one was a bit of a joke. Though when you see the linguistical gymnastics that many nationalists do when it comes to saying Northern Ireland I don’t have much sympathy.

What area are you from? Do you mean Derry/Londonderry or NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Mary Lou has recently referred to Londonderry

Actually she used both names and due to the context il forgive her. For me an Irishman calling Derry by its incorrect name really bothers me and yet an Irishman wearing an England jersey wouldnt bother me as each to there own, the only time you see the incorrect name is when your watching a english tv station

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Do all the Northern Ireland Catholics up there all still descend on Bundoran, etc these days?

Yes they do, well they did last year anyway. Presumably the same story this year.

• Advertisement

What area are you from? Do you mean Derry/Londonderry or NI?

I’m quite obviously from NI. I’m from County Londonderry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I'm just confused by unionists. If I knew I was descended from people who were British and planted in another country because that part of the country was particularly rebellious I'd feel pretty weird about hating and despising the natives whilst I'm in the minority and don't really belong. Especially despising the natives to the extent of burning the flag and marching etc. It's even sadder because I'm pretty sure that people in the UK couldn't give a fiddlers about the north. Many that I've come across don't even know what part of Ireland belongs to great Britain.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Mary Lou has recently referred to Londonderry

Actually she used both names and due to the context il forgive her. For me an Irishman calling Derry by its incorrect name really bothers me and yet an Irishman wearing an England jersey wouldnt bother me as each to there own, the only time you see the incorrect name is when your watching a english tv station

It’s used by the bbc ni /utv/ Translink and various other bodies so I’m not sure what an English tv station has to do with it.

When you said "I'm from the area" I knew your name suggested NI but I didn't know if 'the area' meant Derry?

So you're from the county and I'm from the city, as are all the people who call it Derry, despite them being of 'your persuasion'.

Only other person I know who would call the city Londonderry is a guy I went to university with from Limavady. But he's the type that if it was ever officially changed to Derry, he'd still be thran and call it Londonderry. He's a bit of a Willie Frazer wannabee.

When you said "I'm from the area" I knew your name suggested NI but I didn't know if 'the area' meant Derry?

So you're from the county and I'm from the city, as are all the people who call it Derry, despite them being of 'your persuasion'.

Only other person I know who would call the city Londonderry is a guy I went to university with from Limavady. But he's the type that if it was ever officially changed to Derry, he'd still be thran and call it Londonderry.

So are youse being Thran calling it Derry when it is officially Londonderry then? Lol.

I know ones from your way that are unionist who refer it as Londonderry. Maybe they are afraid to say otherwise in public in a city where they are vastly outnumbered and that the nationalist bogside youths are chucking petrol bombs to try and ethnically cleanse the last prods out of the cityside.

Naw, they just call it Derry cos I don't think they are anal about it. Its only a name after all. If people want to call it Londonderry, it doesn't bother me one iota. We are all individuals and I have a belief that you shouldn't dictate to people.

Then again, I am not a believer in religion so in theory I am neither Catholic/Protestant. I might be on paper but you can blame my parents for that.

• Advertisement

Naw, they just call it Derry cos I don't think they are anal about it. Its only a name after all. If people want to call it Londonderry, it doesn't bother me one iota. We are all individuals and I have a belief that you shouldn't dictate to people.

Then again, I am not a believer in religion so in theory I am neither Catholic/Protestant. I might be on paper but you can blame my parents for that.

I have no belief in fairy tales either so therefore like you I am non religious. Despite being from close to you I still really really dislike your accent though.... nadine coyle has a lot to answer for. I myself have a more refined county strokecity accent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It is known and will always be known outside a certain group as Derry.

For sure though, knock yerselves out calling it whatever you want (I am sure you would say the same for those who do not call it Londonderry)

Same as these hate speech anti Irish marches, **** them. Let them at it, ignore them and don't give them the attention they so desperately crave. They are a dying breed and the sooner they are gone the better but giving something publicity is not a good way of getting rid of it.

The footage will be used for propaganda purposes and the clashes will further divisions. For the record I would be for banning them, and telling them to piss right off but I understand that will not happen so next best choice is to ignore them. They look for a rise, don't give it to them. Let them ponce around with their orange sashes ranting about how they hate everything, show them exactly how irrelevant they are.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It is known and will always be known outside a certain group as Derry.

For sure though, knock yerselves out calling it whatever you want (I am sure you would say the same for those who do not call it Londonderry)

Same as these hate speech anti Irish marches, **** them. Let them at it, ignore them and don't give them the attention they so desperately crave. They are a dying breed and the sooner they are gone the better but giving something publicity is not a good way of getting rid of it.

The footage will be used for propaganda purposes and the clashes will further divisions. For the record I would be for banning them, and telling them to piss right off but I understand that will not happen so next best choice is to ignore them. They look for a rise, don't give it to them. Let them ponce around with their orange sashes ranting about how they hate everything, show them exactly how irrelevant they are.

Are those “Derry” republicans also showing hate then by petrol bombing Protestants this last few days ?

Useless fact 1- few orangemen actually wear sashes bit wear collarettes..

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    whilst I'm in the minority and don't really belong.

This whole so erroneously called “United ireland” isn’t looking particularly inclusive now is it cleopatra??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Feel bad for the cops who have to face all that crap tonight and for the next few nights.

• Advertisement

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Feel bad for the cops who have to face all that crap tonight and for the next few nights.

...and go and guard contractors while they dismantle dangerous structures which could put homes and lives at risk ..... all in the name of culture.

The last few days have been an awful advertisement for the North, from shootings in Derry, burning out of public transport and cars, bonfires having to be taken down, UVF orchestrating violence, main road from airport closed off due to suspect device trapping tourists in the airport....

And they wonder why the province is struggling for investment?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland is now one of the wealthiest countries in the world. A thriving IT sector, Pharma Sector, Financial Services, and services in general. What can the North call in terms of industry? A shipbuilding sector that is long gone, a linen milling industry long gone, general old era manufacturing long gone. Oh yes, Ireland was indeed a basket case 30-40 years ago but that is now long in the past.

My, how the tables have turned. Look at infrastructure - as a child in the 1980s I was entralled at NIs motorways compared to the goat tracks here but the Republic has utterly overtaken the North in that respect too. Now NI's infrastructure is massively struggling from under investment and is crumbling in places. You do know that Westminster pulled the plug on the NI motorway plans when the violence got out of hand?

And yes the Republic is decades ahead socially - we have same sex marriage, abortion availability on the way, much more in terms of equality rights and don't have bitter inter faith hostility and residential segregation by religion.

I'm from the North originally and have family from up there and on my Dad's side of the family have Protestant cousins (my surname is very mixed) and friends on both "sides" and they all tell me that whilst the peace process has led to huge improvements (which are great to see) the Republic has overtaken NI and left it for dust. No triumphalism there, just hard cold reality.

Its sad really - NI is now a false economy propped up by a bloated public/quango sector and massive financial transfers from Westminster. It's a sad state of affairs.

We also don't have a very sizable element of our society of religious zealots that hate LGBT people, believes in creationism, intimidates ethnic minorities and refuses to bake cakes for same sex couples. Religious bigotry is something NI should be deeply, deeply ashamed of. Probably the most socially regressive place in all of Western Europe. Is that something to be proud of? Is it?

I dearly want to see NI move into the 21st century but at the current rate it may be well over 50 years or more.

An interesting read from a Dublin based Nordie Prod:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/07/11/perspectives-on-change-from-a-dublin-dwelling-northern-prod/

And some very interesting comments in the section below....but I would guess the author and most people replying are more educated and employed than the majority of knuckle draggers we see ruining the provinces reputation at this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If I was in the company of a fellow Irishman who referred to Derry (county or city, I'm not bothered) as Londonderry I'd just pity him and mentally chalk him down as an attention seeking ass hat tbh.

What would you prefer them to call it? I would assume they're distinguishing between the 6 counties in the north that is under UK rule, to the 26 counties which are not, and generally all 'south' of there.

But an Irishman referring to Derry as Londonderry is just distinguishing himself as being a bit of an arse imo.

And also the name of the island, which has 2 separate jurisdictions.

I'm happy to go with my initial response incidentally. I've been on this earth for close to 40 years now, and I've yet to encounter anyone refer to Derry as Londonderry anywhere in Ireland.

You don't either, but if pretending you do makes you feel quirky, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Parades of hate happen on the island of Ireland around this time. And it makes me feel disgusted. Every single person who marches in the name of the Orange Order should be illuminated for the pond feeding scum that they are.

The sooner they die out the better in my opinion.

OP, I voted for “I love the orange Order and everything they stand for” just to fcuk with your poll results :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement