Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies ?

Options
  • 08-07-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not really a gardening question so feel free to move this or delete if it's against the forum rules, but.

Has anyone else noticed a large amount of flies walking over the garden today ? They are everywhere in my back/front garden. They're not really flying around, just walking over the grass and pavement areas walking up the garden walls etc... The ants are out in full force.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Houseflies, bluebottles, midges? July is always a time of year for many flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Not sure what they are, they look longer than a housefly with larger wings, defo not bluebottles. Seems to have died down a bit now but about an hour ago they were all over my grass out the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 peterjosephbrow

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

This post has been deleted.

Ah, that would make sense. And a google image search looks exactly like them.

The regular ants were out in force when these things were walking all over my garden. They've mostly gone back to their nests now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Had a plague of what looked like greenfly yesterday. Cobwebs in the garden were full of them. Not sure what they were, faster moving then fruit flies but about the same size. Definitely weren't flying ants, well familiar with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember couple of years ago I went out to the garage and a section of my driveway had a circle of flying ants, about 10ft across, all walking around.....you could see the black mass of them from the house..

I got up close and watched them for a while, there must have easily been tens of thousands of them. Amazing to watch.

Advertisement