Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is driving work time?

Options
  • 08-07-2018 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I do alot of driving for work. For example i could drive to Cork from Dublin adding say 3 hours to my work day. Its only ever a one way trip. Are those 3 hours considered as part of my working week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mj2016

What exactly is you job desciption. Is your office based in cork? Are you travelling for meetings? Was it mentioned in your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Yes. There was a TV ad recently warning employers that if someone is driving to do work (ie not commuting to/from home), then they are at work and the employer is liable if the person has an accident.

I used to travel by train to Belfast for work on a regular basis and any time travelling was considered part of my working day as I was travelling for work related business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yes, if it's not just regular commuting.

European directive on it a few years ago.

So let's say you're a salesman based from home. Driving to and from customers would be considered work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

More importantly. How are you insured? SDP or business/commercial? Could play a part if you wherever involved in an accident.
    You need to get this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, I travel to sites with work, maybe 2-6 a day and travel is work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I don't even have to lookup the law to know certain travel should be a part of your working hours.

For example, I work in an office. If I was asked to go to a meeting in some cafe on the opposite side of the city, I would try to arrange the meeting during working hours. If I had to be at the cafe at 8 AM or something, I would just leave work early as my day started earlier.

I think you should be able to have a reasonable conversation with your employer about this.

Advertisement