Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio NCT failure - is it worth fixing and re-testing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

kermitpwee wrote: »
    If it was mine i wouldn't get 2 new shocks.i would get one strut out of a breakers and get your mechanic to put it in. It will in all probability pass as you are @ 58mm on the other shock.
    Tyres i would get part worn or breakers @ 30 a pop. This won't suit the motor heads here but it's how you run a banger on a budget.

and then what about the brakes then , they would have to be done as well - i wonder whats wrong with them. - to me I am pretty impressed at how the car brakes ... but the NCT machines say different , mind you as someone said earlier on in the thread maybe all they need is bleeding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Well get him to look at the brakes, perhaps it's not a big job.
    I understand money is tight but you nearly have the car 12 months. It cost you 550 to buy. I am presuming it hasn't previously needed any repairs in the time you have had it.
    550 euro for a years motoring is so cheap tbh. It's hard to beat that tbh.
    Spending 5-700 on the car to get a years Nct is the same as buying a car for 5-700 with a yrs test but you have less risk with your own car.
    You know the gearbox and engine are fine. Even if it does have a problem in the future a new car could as well.
    People say your car is a write off. Realistically there is not a lot wrong with it. It's wear and tear.
    Talk to your mechanic and explain you need it tested in the most cost effective way. He may have cheaper suggestions.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Well get him to look at the brakes, perhaps it's not a big job.
    I understand money is tight but you nearly have the car 12 months. It cost you 550 to buy. I am presuming it hasn't previously needed any repairs in the time you have had it.
    550 euro for a years motoring is so cheap tbh. It's hard to beat that tbh.
    Spending 5-700 on the car to get a years Nct is the same as buying a car for 5-700 with a yrs test but you have less risk with your own car.
    You know the gearbox and engine are fine. Even if it does have a problem in the future a new car could as well.
    People say your car is a write off. Realistically there is not a lot wrong with it. It's wear and tear.
    Talk to your mechanic and explain you need it tested in the most cost effective way. He may have cheaper suggestions.

well, nothing too major - rear wheel bearing about a month ago - new plugs air filter when we first got car and had to get a front lambda sensor.

our mechanic reckons he dont know what is involved until he digs in, but after looking at NCT sheet and the age of the car reckoned it wasnt worth it (but i think he hates renault anyway because a friend of ours had a renault megane and he said to her renaults are a pile of crap and hard to work on)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

well, nothing too major - rear wheel bearing about a month ago - new plugs air filter when we first got car and had to get a front lambda sensor.

our mechanic reckons he dont know what is involved until he digs in, but after looking at NCT sheet and the age of the car reckoned it wasnt worth it (but i think he hates renault anyway because a friend of ours had a renault megane and he said to her renaults are a pile of crap and hard to work on)

Yes most mechanics dont like renault as they cram lots of things into small space and its takes longer to do the jobs. That with some issues they find hard to diagnose without the correct knowledge or diagnostic equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-03/19263726

I'd scrap the Clio and buy something like this OP. Lower mileage, a years test, over 100 quid less a year on tax than the clio.

The yaris is about as reliable as you can get in an older car, you'd probably pick that one up for 800 quid - just check your insurance is alright with the age of it.

• Advertisement

jhud wrote: »
    Yes most mechanics dont like renault as they cram lots of things into small space and its takes longer to do the jobs. That with some issues they find hard to diagnose without the correct knowledge or diagnostic equipment.

im not a fan in some ways - i mean, i like the fact the clios its 4cylinder engine, got a decent size boot for a mini hatchback , find it has a good turning circle , good to park , i like the little added extra's like the interior light turning off a minute after getting in closing the doors, the rear wiper coming on automatically when reversing in the rain , the front windscreen wipers getting faster as you drive , the onbaord computer ... but then again I am into gadgety things , and there are not too many cars of around the 2003 mark with those features on.

But the things I have found a pain to do on this particular car at the moment is:

taking out the whole complete dashboard just to replace 2 bulbs that light up the centre console info panel with the time/outside temp display

Getting to the lambda sensor to replace it (was tight to get to)

Replacing bulbs in the headlights (its tight)

Taking off the whole plastic inlet manifold just to get to the throttle body to clean it

havent done it , but if i had to, having to remove whole front bumper just to replace a headlight

Spark plugs tucked right down into the engine (had to buy a special bar and long reach socket

Having to tighten up front seat mounting bolts from underneath the car

the seal for the ECU plug is deteriorated on ours and had been letting in water into the conector - and instead of renault placing the connectors for the ECU at the bottom they put them right under the bonnet at the back of the inlet manifold so water runs off bonnet right onto the ECU connectors (especially if the box is missing abovethe ECU connectors when 9 times out of 10 they are missing because they chaffed the ecu wiring)

I am sure looking at the car there are other things a pain to do on this car and not straight forward ... but I still like the Clio 2 at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Every car needs servicing and tyres and unfortunately a 500 yoyo car is not an exception. At the same time the whole cost the same as many people pay for their car finance per month and even after spending 1000 in total you are still winning by about 5000 and after successful year two this has risen to maybe 10500.

The issues your car have are routine for an older car. Don't go to change the vehicle, just fix it. Maybe even learn to do some jobs yourself to save money.

samih wrote: »
    Every car needs servicing and tyres and unfortunately a 500 yoyo car is not an exception. At the same time the whole cost the same as many people pay for their car finance per month and even after spending 1000 in total you are still winning by about 5000 and after successful year two this has risen to maybe 10500.

The issues your car have are routine for an older car. Don't go to change the vehicle, just fix it. Maybe even learn to do some jobs yourself to save money.

i love trying to fix things myself first - i'm only a tinkerer though, haven't got the correct tools most of the time . if something too big a job , or looks like its too rusted/seized (which it normally is on these old cars) then i dont attempt it and leave it to our mechanic.

I have replaced lambda sensor on it and i have had the inlet manifold off a couple of times on it and changed the oil and plugs myself

i in no way would attempt to replace the struts and bushes myself which is a shame ... I might be very tempted if i had trolley jacks , axle stands, coil spring compressors, bearing pullers, correct spanners/sockets etc and if the bolts and all that wasnt seized / rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

I wouldn't bother OP. French cars are scrap. Get a Ford or a Toyota and move on.

pearcider wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother OP. French cars are scrap. Get a Ford or a Toyota and move on.

what do you reckon to Ford Fiesta 2002/3 vintage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

To be honest, You should get a 2007 Ford Fiesta or Focus for 600 or 700. The Japanese cars have a bit of a premium for some reason so it would be Ford all day for me on that budget. Just put the alerts up on done deal. You'll get something decent for 700.

pearcider wrote: »
    To be honest, You should get a 2007 Ford Fiesta or Focus for 600 or 700. The Japanese cars have a bit of a premium for some reason so it would be Ford all day for me on that budget. Just put the alerts up on done deal. You'll get something decent for 700.

seriously ? - a 2007 year motor for 700euro? with NCT? - that doesnt seem possible... but I will have a look

Just an update as to where we are now. We went to see a year 2002 Clio 2 1.2 8v yesterday for 500euro and its NCT'd until feb 2019 ... so that gives us a bit of breathing space to think what we are going to do when next feb is up (maybe will win the lotto by then LOL) -

our present insurer will insure the car ... just be an extra charge of 20-30eur on top of our normal insurance per year.

so for our sins , and even though our present clio has had its fair share of problems we are still going for another one! - must be mad!

Present Car 2003 Renault Clio 2:

1.2ltr 16v

5 door

handbrake only has about 3 clicks and its applied

NCT out

On-Board Computer

needed 3 tyres

Alloy wheels - low profile tyres are expensive for it

Car we getting 2002 Renault Clio 2:

1.2ltr 8v (seems quieter running/idling ... but a bit less responsive than our 16v)

5 Door

Handbrake has lots of clicks (most probably just needs adjustment hopefully, but does hold the rear wheels tight when its applied)

NCT until FEB 2019

No onboard computer - shame :(

Electric sunroof (great i love cars with sunroofs especially in this warmth ... except for it doesnt work/open and never worked for present owner)

4 good tyres with lot of tread left

steel wheels - (replacement tyres should be cheaper for it)

bonnet badly chipped and surface rust (lets the appearance down because rest of car paintwork not bad on the car , maybe I will pick up a bonnet from scrappy cheap enough one day?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nope. They are exempt. The only tests that happen is if an insurance company wanted an inspection prior to providing insurance cover.

As much as I detest the NCT, it isn't the worst service. I used to get offended when my car failed for some reason or another. Mainly I think it was cause I used to try find faults and pass it on the first go. Now I don't bother just run it thru as is, if the car is bollixed then it's bollixed. Have no problem with it since I took this approach.

I would happily pay for one for the bike, to know of any issues that might be there and most importantly is it roadworthy.

I suppose the NCT on a motorcycle is yourself, if the bike is not up to scratch you'll come off it and maybe pay with your life.

In the UK there are MOT's for motorcycles.

TallGlass wrote: »
    As much as I detest the NCT, it isn't the worst service. I used to get offended when my car failed for some reason or another. Mainly I think it was cause I used to try find faults and pass it on the first go. Now I don't bother just run it thru as is, if the car is bollixed then it's bollixed. Have no problem with it since I took this approach.

I would happily pay for one for the bike, to know of any issues that might be there and most importantly is it roadworthy.

I suppose the NCT on a motorcycle is yourself, if the bike is not up to scratch you'll come off it and maybe pay with your life.

In the UK there are MOT's for motorcycles.

I can see good points/argument for NCT on motorbikes - check tyre tread, Check brakes are working as should, check lights are all working as should, check shock absorbers, check speedo, check welding on bike frame, check for rust ect .. am sure there are more roadworthy checks could be done on them too to make sure they are safe .. oh and independant check as well, sure you could say its in the interest of the bike rider to check the bike themselves for road worthyness but just like if you did that to a car owner and left them to check/remedy faults themselves they can be lapsydaisycal about getting round to it / fixing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

My daughter has a 03 Clio 8V has been very reliable over the years . First job I had done on it was to replace timing belt mechanic showed me the state of it .. well cracked . We had the front brakes refurbished next after another year the rear brakes were sorted . It failed the NCT once due to a broken spring . The only other big job that needed doing was a replacement clutch . So clutch and timing belt are the expensive jobs to watch out for on replacement car Andy .. all the best

noelf wrote: »
    My daughter has a 03 Clio 8V has been very reliable over the years . First job I had done on it was to replace timing belt mechanic showed me the state of it .. well cracked . We had the front brakes refurbished next after another year the rear brakes were sorted . It failed the NCT once due to a broken spring . The only other big job that needed doing was a replacement clutch . So clutch and timing belt are the expensive jobs to watch out for on replacement car Andy .. all the best

Thanks. - the guy said it had clutch replaced not so long ago . - there was something I dont know whether I should have been concerned about , and that was when i flipped the bonnet and looked at the clutch arm (where the clutch cable attaches to it) was flapping around a little bit as the engine was idling . but when i took the car for a test run it was lovely and smooth clutch , not stiff pedal, no judder as i was taking my foot off the pedal when it was in gear , no whine frome the clutch bearing .... so i hope its OK . might be just better off not seeing the clutch arm flapping like that, the black rubber boot on the clutch arm looks like it needs putting back in its place on the bell housing as well. - wehn i first saw the clutch arm vibrating and flapping like that I went "OH! " and then thewife is like "is that bad?" ... lets hope its not a bad sign it flapping like that - end of the day its old the car but its only 500euro. am sure I will find more things wrong with the car once i get it because there is only so much you can check when you take it out for test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Before you buy, check when the timing belt and pump kit was done. If possible see receipts for the job.

red sean wrote: »
    Before you buy, check when the timing belt and pump kit was done. If possible see receipts for the job.

Thanks sean , 98 thou was tippexed onto the top mount (mind u anyone could do that) and the mileage is at 158,000m - and i couldnt see any steering fluid chamber so i am presuming its EPS on it and no steering pump . but thanks will double check.

guy phoned - only got one key for the car , he never had 2 keys for it ... is it any worries - its a remote control central locking. They used to be fierce expensive to get them keys cut years ago I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Never had more than 1 key for any of the bangers I bought. Somehow people lose the spares over time.

Wouldn't be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

guy phoned - only got one key for the car , he never had 2 keys for it ... is it any worries - its a remote control central locking. They used to be fierce expensive to get them keys cut years ago I know

You could get a spare made up for about 80 euro ish.
    Theres a place in Ballina that does them. I think it might be called Duffys hardware.
    Its the place across the street from shaws in that general area.
    Bearing in mind I haven't been around for a while now so the place could be gone (i don't know) but there are plenty of services offering this.
    Never got one off them myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Thanks sean , 98 thou was tippexed onto the top mount (mind u anyone could do that) and the mileage is at 158,000m - and i couldnt see any steering fluid chamber so i am presuming its EPS on it and no steering pump . but thanks will double check.

I'm not a mechanic, but i'm sure the water pump, not the power steering pump,is usually replaced with the timing belt. The tippex is telling you it's 60,000mls since the belt was replaced so it's rapidly coming due again. Not sure what the replacement intervals are on a Renault, but I'd be inclined to have it done due to the age of the car.

Fairly sure Barton Smith in Sligo will do a spare key, but you will need to prove ownership of the car. A phone call will tell you.

red sean wrote: »
    I'm not a mechanic, but i'm sure the water pump, not the power steering pump,is usually replaced with the timing belt. The tippex is telling you it's 60,000mls since the belt was replaced so it's rapidly coming due again. Not sure what the replacement intervals are on a Renault, but I'd be inclined to have it done due to the age of the car.

Fairly sure Barton Smith in Sligo will do a spare key, but you will need to prove ownership of the car. A phone call will tell you.

thanks, ah yes of course tend to think of Barton Smith doing house keys but yes of course I am sure they do car keys too I should think. I am also waiting for word back from MG motors in Collooney as well who cut and programme car keys

thanks, ah yes of course tend to think of Barton Smith doing house keys but yes of course I am sure they do car keys too I should think. I am also waiting for word back from MG motors in Collooney as well who cut and programme car keys

I know for an old yaris I had I bought a blank spare on ebay including internals. I got the blade cut in a normal place and there was a procedure you could preform on it using the pedals brakes and ignition.
    There may be a similar sequence for the clio if you do a bit of googling :)

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I know for an old yaris I had I bought a blank spare on ebay including internals. I got the blade cut in a normal place and there was a procedure you could preform on it using the pedals brakes and ignition.
    There may be a similar sequence for the clio if you do a bit of googling :)

wow thats good - yes I will check that out for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Whatever car you decide you might be inclined to buy, make sure to Bring Your Mechanic to take a good look over it for you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

To be honest I would rather spend the money on service if needed, or keep it in the wallet in case something breaks.

Having spare key is great for peace of mind, but spending extra 60-100 euro on non necessary item with car worth 400-500 euro?

I wouldn't.

wonski wrote: »
    To be honest I would rather spend the money on service if needed, or keep it in the wallet in case something breaks.

Having spare key is great for peace of mind, but spending extra 60-100 euro on non necessary item with car worth 400-500 euro?

I wouldn't.

Personally I'd get both of those things even if I had to borrow. That could just be my paranoia of not having a spare key and fearing the worst though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What is the overall condition of the rest of your own car with regards to engine, gearbox, interior, bodywork etc.
    If all of them are sound and dependable I would be more inclined to spend the budget on getting your own car right than spending the money on what could potentially be someone else's trouble.
    If you are looking at another car, you really must budget for a timing belt change as well, unless the seller has legitimate proof of it being done fairly recently.
    As someone else said, "...often the divil you know" etc.

Advertisement