Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio NCT failure - is it worth fixing and re-testing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Personally I'd get both of those things even if I had to borrow. That could just be my paranoia of not having a spare key and fearing the worst though

Thanks to that paranoia I never lost keys. You tend to be very careful when you know you have no spares :)

Agreed that it could lead to extra cost when lost, though.
    Just my opinion that when on tight budget that would be nowhere near top of my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

wonski wrote: »
    Thanks to that paranoia I never lost keys. You tend to be very careful when you know you have no spares :)

Agreed that it could lead to extra cost when lost, though.
    Just my opinion that when on tight budget that would be nowhere near top of my to do list.

What about coming home emptying pockets drunk. Stuff could be anywhere :pac:

As regards the spare key, if he can go the diy route it should only be like 20 or 30 euro tops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure if it can be done for 20-30, but if it can, then it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

wonski wrote: »
    Not sure if it can be done for 20-30, but if it can, then it's not too bad.

It was something like that when I did one for my old yaris. For some reason I think it was 24

Maybe something like this. The OP can look and compare keys then https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Remote-Key-1Button-433MHz-PCF7946-for-Renault-Twingo-Clio-Master-KANGO-2002-2007/173338558683?hash=item285bc880db:g:APYAAOSw~U5bB8pu

All he has to do is see can he program it himself. If so buy they key, cut the key and program the key, test and store safely.

My case was a bit more awkward where I accidentally purchased the wrong key blade but the electronics were grand. I just got a 4 euro key copy made of the original, removed the incorrect blade and butchered the two new keys together with glue.
    Looked absolutely terrible but worked grand. It was only a spare so it never bothered me.

As long as the OP manages to buy the correct blade he should be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

well for my sins we bought the 500euro Clio 2 2002 we saw on done deal for 500eur - its NCT'd until feb 2019 and taxed til end of july - he came down from 700 cause he had alloys on it and we just wanted steel wheels, so he took the alloys off and kept them and put the original steel wheels back on .

- not a bad motor at all for the price (well for what can you expect for the age and that price) at least it gives us a bit of breathing space now seeing as its NCT'd until next feb ... come that time I dunno what will happen , whether it will pass again is anyone's guess (even if the guy selling it says "it will fly through the NCT") - our existing insurance honoured insuring it even though it was 30eur a year more than our 2003 Clio 2 .

Getting this feels much different to drive indeed , it doesnt 'wander' when driving over bumps/potholes in the road and the steering feels tighter - the brakes feel much better and the clutch pedal doesnt feel hard like it did in our 2003 clio .

It needs a spark plug (No.4 cylinder) and a spark plug lead becuse it has a tiny crack on the bit that goes on the plug that was sparking to earth on the engine (again no.4) or no.1 as the french like to number their number 1 from the clutch end rather than the timing belt end. - must check when the timing belt was last changed theres some stickers and the guy said its been regualary serviced.

This one we have just bought is an 8v renault 2 and our previous clio 2 is 16v .. not as pokey I suppose .. a little bit flat in places but not too bad.

as I say, we are just glad that we have a bit of breathing space til we need to put it through NCT

the seal on our 2003 ECU was broken so that was letting in water and had coroded the terminals a bit so that was causing problems too - on this 8v clio 2 we got the ECU is in a better place and the connectors are dry so thats another good thing

just hope now this sees us through good at least until feb 2019 .. maybe by that time we will be better off or can get a loan for a newer motor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Good call imo. Disposable cars, it'll surely last they year. If it passes another test, great, if it doesn't just bin it and buy another €500 car. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Good call imo. Disposable cars, it'll surely last they year. If it passes another test, great, if it doesn't just bin it and buy another €500 car. Best of luck with it.

thank you - fingers and everything else crossed.

Advertisement