Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x13 drivetrain announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Reminds me of This Is Spinal Tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jaysis, and I'm still on 2x10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Good way to make sure you'll have to buy new chains regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I use to think about going for 3X to 1X

I think it was against the bikers code the attitude I got in most places, then got down to figures from sell your one year old bike to E200 plus

Wonder will 1X become standard(ish)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did anyone bother buying there last groupset though? Pointless surely if nobody buys it except as a concept.

There hydraulic Groupo is absurdly expensive. So can't imagine this one will be anything but.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1x13 must be getting close to 2x11 in terms of real gear options, given the overlaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as you're not meant to use 4 cogs on the cassette due to cross chaining, 2x11 is theoretically 2x7.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Have every gear I could want on a 2 x 11, and know a lot more like me. Not like in the 80's when you started a racing season only to find lads had changed there rear sprockets from 6 to 7. And then 8 to 9, biggest was when went to 10 speed. Maybe just me, but I change and am very comfortable racing by changing down to my small ring if I want to. Raced Moynalty yesterday and lads would rather horse gears cause they didn't want to change down to the front small ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not sane wrote:
    Have every gear I could want on a 2 x 11, and know a lot more like me. Not like in the 80's when you started a racing season only to find lads had changed there rear sprockets from 6 to 7. And then 8 to 9, biggest was when went to 10 speed. Maybe just me, but I change and am very comfortable racing by changing down to my small ring if I want to. Raced Moynalty yesterday and lads would rather horse gears cause they didn't want to change down to the front small ring.

Trying to stay out of my granny ring nowadays, it's a disaster, time for a 1x11 me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

In one of my first races years ago, I was beside the famous Sean Lally.

We were going up a hill and he was on his small ring. I asked him why and he said why not?
    Look at all these fellas struggling on their 52 while I'm just spinning away.

It was a great lesson that I always used, particularly when you would come round a corner straight onto a hill, lads would be struggling trying to get the big ring going.

Never be afraid to use the 42.

But maybe that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i often see people plugging away on 50-30 on commutes, and even up hills. it's not just racing cyclists who are too macho to change down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Looking at the Merida silex 300 has me very tempted to give this 1x13 thing a go!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

as you're not meant to use 4 cogs on the cassette due to cross chaining, 2x11 is theoretically 2x7.
    i often see people plugging away on 50-30 on commutes, and even up hills. it's not just racing cyclists who are too macho to change down.

11 speed is meant to be more tolerant of cross chaining, i do it all the time now without issue. I'd say it is closer to 2 x 10 than 2 x 7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

bedlam wrote: »
    CeramicSpeed also have their own take on 1x13, although just a concept https://youtu.be/ro9PqLv1Hpc?t=216

I think this is magnificent. No chain, derailleurs, looks robust. Only need to be changing bearings, maybe cogs and chainring eventually.
    I wonder how it copes on rough ground though, shyte roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

CramCycle wrote: »
    11 speed is meant to be more tolerant of cross chaining, i do it all the time now without issue. I'd say it is closer to 2 x 10 than 2 x 7

The default value for Di2 Sync shift lets you go to the 10th sprocket on the big ring before it shifts the front down.Shifts up from the 4 or 5 on the small ring.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nee wrote: »
    I think this is magnificent. No chain, derailleurs, looks robust. Only need to be changing bearings, maybe cogs and chainring eventually.
    I wonder how it copes on rough ground though, shyte roads.

I wonder how it will handle frame flex also

mloc123 wrote: »
    I wonder how it will handle frame flex also

Never thought of that. Would it have to be made of the same material as the frame? But then it would need to be stiffer so it wouldn't jump around. Unless it can tolerate some flex in it?

These things need to be ironed out already. It's a low maintenance dream. The derailleur has had it's day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Never thought of that. Would it have to be made of the same material as the frame? But then it would need to be stiffer so it wouldn't jump around. Unless it can tolerate some flex in it?

These things need to be ironed out already. It's a low maintenance dream. The derailleur has had it's day!

Not very tolerant to the DIY cyclist...

I wonder do they have a shear pin..

ford2600 wrote: »
    Not very tolerant to the DIY cyclist...

I wonder do they have a shear pin..

I was hoping changing bearings would be handy enough... maybe not.

Re shear pin Who knows! I wish there was more info out there on it. All I can find is the same stuff packaged differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I was hoping changing bearings would be handy enough... maybe not.

Re shear pin Who knows! I wish there was more info out there on it. All I can find is the same stuff packaged differently.

Without some type of deliberate weak point (overload clutch or something) not quite putting wheel in correctly into dropouts, incorrect bb fitting etc could get very expensive very quickly.

My father fitted two grease nipples to his High Nelly(bb & headset), never thought that might come around again

• Advertisement

Without some type of deliberate weak point (overload clutch or something) not quite putting wheel in correctly into dropouts, incorrect bb fitting etc could get very expensive very quickly.

Aw that's my dream dashed!
    fitted father fitted two grease nipples to his High Nelly(bb & headset), never thought that might come around again

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I have sram eagle 12sp on my mtb and tbh i am nearly debating going back to 1x11, i find the chainline is really pushing it with the 12sp cassette. really hard to setup just right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have sram eagle 12sp on my mtb and tbh i am nearly debating going back to 1x11, i find the chainline is really pushing it with the 12sp cassette. really hard to setup just right as well.

The solution is a repurposed front electric derailleur which moves the chainring in and out along a splined shaft as you shift.

It sounds stupid now.....

The default value for Di2 Sync shift lets you go to the 10th sprocket on the big ring before it shifts the front down.Shifts up from the 4 or 5 on the small ring.
    is that an engineering or an expectations decision?
    in that, do they know cyclists would object if it didn't allow them replicate their own behaviour?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

is that an engineering or an expectations decision?
    in that, do they know cyclists would object if it didn't allow them replicate their own behaviour?

I presume engineering to get the smoothest range of gears.

Advertisement