Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Avensis rear brake discs heating

• 08-07-2018 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have a 2010 Toyota Avensis and the right hand rear disc and Caliper gets very hot.I replaced the Caliper with a reconditioned unit over a year ago and everything was ok for a while.I recently replaced pads and discs but the disc is running very hot since,I can roll the car easily but jacked up the right wheel is a good bit stiffer than the left one.Could a caliper that has done about 20000 miles be sticking again or could there be another problem.The piston winds back easily and after doing work on it it drives perfect for a day or two but then starts heating again.The slider pins are not seized and the pads move freely in their holders.If I open the bleed nipple it makes no difference which suggests that the brake hose is ok ?.Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    I have a 2010 Toyota Avensis and the right hand rear disc and Caliper gets very hot.I replaced the Caliper with a reconditioned unit over a year ago and everything was ok for a while.I recently replaced pads and discs but the disc is running very hot since,I can roll the car easily but jacked up the right wheel is a good bit stiffer than the left one.Could a caliper that has done about 20000 miles be sticking again or could there be another problem.The piston winds back easily and after doing work on it it drives perfect for a day or two but then starts heating again.The slider pins are not seized and the pads move freely in their holders.If I open the bleed nipple it makes no difference which suggests that the brake hose is ok ?.Any help would be appreciated.

Could it be the handbrake shoes that need to be adjusted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

There are no seperate hand brake shoes.Electric parking brake and thats releasing properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

It was the Calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 quinla

MAYOMICK wrote: »

First you need a diagnostic tool to release the caliper before fitting pads. What happens to those calipers is the brake dust causes them to seize and yes ive seen them go after a year too. When your washing the car with power hose, try give the calipers a wash at the same time. Ive also seen pads which aren't Toyota have too much paint on the pad and it causes it to stick in the holder, causing your over heating. And also those pads line up with the caliper too. If there not lined up. That can cause that problem too. If your not sure bring it too a Mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

quinla wrote: »
    First you need a diagnostic tool to release the caliper before fitting pads. What happens to those calipers is the brake dust causes them to seize and yes ive seen them go after a year too. When your washing the car with power hose, try give the calipers a wash at the same time. Ive also seen pads which aren't Toyota have too much paint on the pad and it causes it to stick in the holder, causing your over heating. And also those pads line up with the caliper too. If there not lined up. That can cause that problem too. If your not sure bring it too a Mechanic

Em...hes fixed it already

• Advertisement
Advertisement