Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selective reporting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If it were to do with 'other curiousities' then Sarah Healy would not have got by far the most coverage of the weekend, except she did because she did best on the medals table. O'Sullivan & Adekele also got coverage due to finishing with medals, but not as much as Healy as she did the best of the three. To be honest, before she got the silver at this event I had no idea Sonia O'Sullivan even had a daughter - I have very little interest in nor do I follow athletics, but if the wider media were pushing her not due to her achievements but simply who her mam is I would habe heard of her by now. If O'Sullivan goes on to get some more medals then sure it will help her profile but like the kids of so many many well known professional football players who failed to get anywhere in the game themselves, if she doesn't then we won't hear much of her.

Basically, if reporters were only looking to comment on 'some other curiousity' Healy would not have had the most coverage of the three, and Patience Jumbo-Gula would have had significantly more attention than her. Except Patience is not mentioned in the original article, and has not been mentioned once in the thread despite reaching the 100m final.

Did Ireland have any other medalists at this event than Healy, O'Sullivan and Adekele?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Billy86 wrote: »
    If it were to do with 'other curiousities' then Sarah Healy would not have got by far the most coverage of the weekend, except she did because she did best on the medals table. O'Sullivan & Adekele also got coverage due to finishing with medals, but not as much as Healy as she did the best of the three. To be honest, before she got the silver at this event I had no idea Sonia O'Sullivan even had a daughter - I have very little interest in nor do I follow athletics, but if the wider media were pushing her not due to her achievements but simply who her mam is I would habe heard of her by now. If O'Sullivan goes on to get some more medals then sure it will help her profile but like the kids of so many many well known professional football players who failed to get anywhere in the game themselves, if she doesn't then we won't hear much of her.

Basically, if reporters were only looking to comment on 'some other curiousity' Healy would not have had the most coverage of the three, and Patience Jumbo-Gula would have had significantly more attention than her. Except Patience is not mentioned in the original article, and has not been mentioned once in the thread despite reaching the 100m final.

Did Ireland have any other medalists at this event than Healy, O'Sullivan and Adekele?

The Adekele story deserved more coverage than it got

Only 15 and winning a gold medal in a European U18 200m race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In short, its athletics.
    A sport that disappeared down the peds plug hole years ago, and, rightly, most people have no interest in any more. Its really just a pharmaceutical contest of calculated risk/reward on how close the limit lines you want to try to get to without being caught. Or, to be really successful, with big resources behind you, dosing stuff that is on the cutting edge of being undetectable, or isnt even known about by the authorities to even try to test for.
    So reporters arent really reporting on the sport result per se - there has to be some other catch to make it news worthy these days - daughter of a former high profile athlete, coloured girl competing for Ireland, or other such curiosities.

Anyone dismissing the achievements of Irish underage athletes based on doping scandals in Russia or China senior athletes needs their head examined. (Not saying that you are)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Watch for the u20 Relay 100m women on Sunday. I don't give a fiddlers as to their skin colour or ancestry. Go girls.
    http://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-4x100m-relay-world-u20-championships-4126655-Jul2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Omackeral wrote: »
    There is. I haven't clicked any other article other than the one you posted!

Adeleke's victory comes less than 24 hours after Sarah Healy secured Ireland's first gold of the Championships.

Healy created a little piece of athletics history last night by becoming the first Irish athlete to win gold at the European U-18 Championships, the 17-year-old Dubliner obliterating her rivals in the girls' 3,000m to win in a championship record of 9:18.05.

OP here, back after a ban for some other nonsense. The original article made no mention of Sarah Healy. I went to the the trouble to screenshot it because I suspected this might happen.

I'm not having a go at the athletes, just at the reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

OP here again. I just reviewed the reporting of the events and Sarah Healy was indeed heavily mentioned. I was wrong.

Advertisement