Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Remind me wrote: »
    Hand in his pocket? Hes a multimillionaire!!

He has to somehow make it to the first tee in Memphis on Thursday

Id say he will be walking 10 feet off the pier in Memphis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A lot rent houses

My dad's business partner has a pal who rented out his holiday home for the week and got 20k!! Sterling!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Portrush, I would think, will have a glowing report from its staqing of the Open this year. Realistically when will it host the Championship again? After St Georges, St Andrews and Hoylake over the next 3 years and after the other courses on the rota have had their turn, I would guess 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

What was said between Koepka and Holmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Portrush, I would think, will have a glowing report from its staqing of the Open this year. Realistically when will lit host the Championship again? After St Georges, St Andrews and Hoylake over the next 3 years and after the other courses on the rota have had their turn, I would guess 2028.

Maybe so but the massive success of this tournament will surly open up Ireland even more than before to hosting another Open. Portmarnock anyone?

I didn't hear that anything happened between them.

Brooks apperently pointed at an imaginary watch to an official walking off one hole.

And he said after that, holmes isn't ready to take his shot when its his turn basically, he said he'd hit and holmes wouldn't even have his glove on, he said Holmes wasnt THAT slow to hit when he stood over the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

That was some shank and club break from Stenson. Beautiful work!!

Missed that one. Not on youtube yet either.

Its been a massive few weeks for Irish golf tbf, topped off my having a great Irish winner in Lowry, twill only be good for the game here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think it was more Koepka to the media, saying his routine ain't slow, but the fact that he doesn't look at his shot until the other person has played.

Re: Portrush staging again...I'd say 2027. I assume St Andrews will get it in 2025 again (don't they do it every 5 years there, but change for big occasions?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

bobbyss wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest. Where would all these millionaire golfers have been staying over the week? There can't be many five-star hotels in Portrush and surely they wouldn't want to be sharing space with other golfers or be close to them?

Huge money in house rentals. I know of people in Troon who just rent out their own house when the Open comes to town, go on holiday for the week and still make a huge profit at the end of it. Some of these guys bring full entourages with them, manager/PR guy/chef/wife/kids the lot. Plus obviously the caddy. They need four/five bedroom houses or larger for the week.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Maybe so but the massive success of this tournament will surly open up Ireland even more than before to hosting another Open. Portmarnock anyone?

Harrington during the week suggested Portmarnock as a possible Open venue but the R and A top brass poured cold water over that happening anytime in the near future. If it does go there it will not be for at least 20 to 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What bas*ard is cutting onions?

Haha. It must have been my missus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Bank of Ireland have sponsored the winner 3 times now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Dont see a British Open in the 26 Counties.
    Congrats to the Big Man on his win, never thought he'd win a major, what do i know:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why do golfers wear golf caps if it's raining and blustery with little or no sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Why do golfers wear golf caps if it's raining and blustery with little or no sun?

Sponsorship money

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭numbnutz

Shane Lowry... Open Champion...what a day...cried my eyes out...Major Winner!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

So Daly, Harrington, McDowell, McIlroy, Clarke and Lowry. Is there any other potential Major winner out there?

blackcard wrote: »
    So Daly, Harrington, McDowell, McIlroy, Clarke and Lowry. Is there any other potential Major winner out there?

Not at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Leona maguire maybe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is there any other potential Major winner out there?

Me...every time I tee up n the 1st.

*Feeling is generally gone after I hit the ball though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

glasso wrote: »

Not at the moment
    James Sugrue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Harrington during the week suggested Portmarnock as a possible Open venue but the R and A top brass poured cold water over that happening anytime in the near future. If it does go there it will not be for at least 20 to 25 years.
    You could see Royal County Down getting one.
    I don't see it ever going outside the UK. If it ever did come me to the Republic it should go to the West Coast imo. Much better courses and the elements from the Atlantic is why I'd suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Tom McKibbin and Marc Power perhaps? Very early I know in their careers but they are teh standout players junior wise for Ireland atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I hope there is a documentary from BBC/RTE like they did when Clarke and Rory won the open. It gave a great insight to what goes on in the days following the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Sponsorship money

Made me wonder about how he was happy to be interviewed without his Srixon cap. I suspect there were new sponsorship deals conducted last night and he wasn't worried about breaching the Srixon terms.

How come Shane wasn't wearing his hat for the presentation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How come Shane wasn't wearing his hat for the presentation?

None of them usually do.

molinari-2018-british-open-5b54f3b6c9e77c0037ba44b2.jpg

epa_epaselect_britain_golf_the_open_2017_92584215.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

1c84bcc9b27c4eae4bcc29bd0c9e51a9_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=85

eagle eye wrote: »
    You could see Royal County Down getting one.
    I don't see it ever going outside the UK. If it ever did come me to the Republic it should go to the West Coast imo. Much better courses and the elements from the Atlantic is why I'd suggest that.

If by the west coast you are referring to Connacht, then the first step would be to stage the Irish Open on one of the courses there, which has never happened to date. Infrastructure might be an issue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If by the west coast you are referring to Connacht, then the first step would be to stage the Irish Open on one of the courses there, which has never happened to date. Infrastructure might be an issue though.

Ahem, Lahinch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No hats, R&A etiquette I assume?

None of them usually do.

molinari-2018-british-open-5b54f3b6c9e77c0037ba44b2.jpg

epa_epaselect_britain_golf_the_open_2017_92584215.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

1c84bcc9b27c4eae4bcc29bd0c9e51a9_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=85

Must be protocol.

I agree and that's why I'd say Dublin would be preferable as it would have the infrastructure in place.

Ahem, Lahinch.

OK but Lahinch is not in Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OK but Lahinch is not in Connacht.

someone said west coast.
    you said west coast = connaught!!!

anyway, The Open outside the UK is a ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Huge money in house rentals. I know of people in Troon who just rent out their own house when the Open comes to town, go on holiday for the week and still make a huge profit at the end of it. Some of these guys bring full entourages with them, manager/PR guy/chef/wife/kids the lot. Plus obviously the caddy. They need four/five bedroom houses or larger for the week.

Massive money in it. A work colleague of mine lives in North Berwick, sports management companies approach home owners all the time or encourage referrals. He came home after a 2 week holiday to a bag of clothes left with a note saying “use what you want or donate”. Kept the shoes and hats, offloaded the rest of the gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seve OB wrote: »
    someone said west coast.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's also the British open

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    someone said west coast.

OK point taken. In any case the Open is highly unlikely to be held outside the UK, in my lifetime anyway. Royal County Down was mentioned as a possible venue which is much more likely to become a reality as is also a Welsh course such as Porthcawl for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Saw this on twitter, major wins since Harrington won the Open in 07, really remarkable for such a small island.

USA 25.
    Ireland 10.
    South Africa 4.
    Germany, Australia and England 2.
    Argentina, S.Korea, Spain, Italy, Sweden 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Synode wrote: »
    Padraig 3
    Rory 3
    Shane 1
    Graham 1
    Darren 1

Who am I missing

Rory 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Rory 4

You're right. Sorry I deleted the post when I realised :pac:

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Saw this on twitter, major wins since Harrington won the Open in 07, really remarkable for such a small island.

USA 25.
    Ireland 10.
    South Africa 4.

Incredible seeing it written like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, I'm not saying Connacht. Ballybunion, Lahinch, Dooks, Waterville, Ballyliffin, Connemara would be my order. Cairn I'd say is too short but beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So let me get this straight, some folk are saying we should stage the British open in Republic of Ireland?

RikkFlair wrote: »

USA 25.
    Ireland 10.
    South Africa 4.

Yep a Golden Era for Irish golf without a doubt. The question is will this continue into the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is the success down to?

How come Scotland, a once proud golf nation, has so few top golfers?

Did we just get very lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Thanks guys and ladies for talking me through the day, it was great. I'll drift off back to the cycling forum now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I wonder is it the same people who blew a casket when announcers mistakenly called Lowry a British golfer who want a British open hosted in the Republic of Ireland. You can't have it both ways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement