Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling tour programmes at 3Arena shows

Options
  • 09-07-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if 3Arena have stopped allowing artists to sell tour programmes at their merch stands for some reason?

Just, the last few shows I've been to there, none of the merchandise stands seemed to have tour programmes for sale so just wondering if they've put some ban into place.

Please let's keep any discussion of the value of tour programmes to another thread please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

kmurph wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 3Arena have stopped allowing artists to sell tour programmes at their merch stands for some reason?

Just, the last few shows I've been to there, none of the merchandise stands seemed to have tour programmes for sale so just wondering if they've put some ban into place.

Please let's keep any discussion of the value of tour programmes to another thread please.

I would say that a lot of artists no longer produce programmes as they don't sell as well as other merch such as tour t-shirts or posters. They're aways inordinately expensive too.

There's no ban on tour programmes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some artists have them some don't

There mostly just big picture books with a handful of writing

I'm a big collector so I'd always buy one and then put it away and don't look at it again ha

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I was at Roger Waters recently, and whilst there was no programs displayed at the merch stand, there were tiny stalls dotted around the floor in the bar area selling them. As you exited main arena area you should see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Buggery, didn't see those at all at the Waters show.

I've not bought one in years at gigs but could understand why they're not a big thing anymore, apart from the cost to produce them, a box of them is going to be very heavy and that's an additional cost in transport that tours wouldn't be keen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

never seen the point of them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I was at Roger Waters recently, and whilst there was no programs displayed at the merch stand, there were tiny stalls dotted around the floor in the bar area selling them. As you exited main arena area you should see them.

The Roger Waters programme was on display at the merchandise stand at the 3 Arena Dublin gig, to the right of the poster of the Us and Them European Tour Limited Edition of 1500 hand numbered silk screen posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

kmurph wrote: »

I don't see why any venue would try to stop any band from selling any item of merchandise.

I understand that, often, venues get a certain amount of the money made from the sale of merchandise.

This article discusses that issue:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/02/28/examining-merch-cuts/

This item below discusses fees charged by venues.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-does-tour-merchandising-work-2460898.

It includes the following paragraphs:

"Most artists receive a percentage of the sale of their merch - around 30% or so is pretty common, at least in the US, though the rate can fluctuate depending on your star power. This percentage is commonly taken from gross sales of your merch - that is sales minus taxes, and credit card fees. However, there is another factor that can influence your take on merch sales - hall fees".

"Hall fees are fees charged by a venue for selling your merch there. These fees are usually a percentage cut of your merch take and are paid to the hall by the merch company. Though the merch company pays out the hall fees, the percentage the venue gets is up to you and your agent. When your agent books your shows, they negotiate the hall fees".

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

The Roger Waters programme was on display at the merchandise stand at the 3 Arena Dublin gig, to the right of the poster of the Us and Them European Tour Limited Edition of 1500 hand numbered silk screen posters.

Ah that makes sense, never clocked them there, but I did see the small stalls. I was in block E and exiting there was a small stall straight in front selling them too. I'm sure they can still be ordered on Roger's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irishgal2000

Sometimes they have your programmes but don’t display them for some reason. Some times the6 are at the separate small stalls. Some artists don’t have tour programmes anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was at a gig a few years ago and the band asked to come meet them afterward to buy merch from their bud as the venue was ripping them off and by extension the fans..it was Real Estate

Venue was 25 for a record, they sold them for 15-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah that makes sense, never clocked them there, but I did see the small stalls. I was in block E and exiting there was a small stall straight in front selling them too. I'm sure they can still be ordered on Roger's website.

Unfortunately not, at the moment anyway. Would like to get one as I missed it at the gig....

Advertisement