Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest falls from grace.. Aung San Suu Kyi etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Kevin the teenage lad on RTE in the 80's/90's

Heard he ended up hard on the gear.

that actually answers a lot of questions......... if they start young in RTE they rise fast like Tubridy and Jonathan Philbin Bowman, Angus McNally. Why didnt this young lad rise?

What happened to Mary Kingston, Brian Reddon and Andy Ruane?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Cienciano wrote: »
    The Kony 2012 guy. One day he was head of a massive movement to get rid of an African warlord, the next he got naked and had a wánk in public.

They still haven't found Kony yet either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Kevin the teenage lad on RTE in the 80's/90's

Heard he ended up hard on the gear.

No, I worked with his brother for a few years. While he did have initial issues alright, it was not out of the ordinary. RTE helped him through college and he's a behind-the-scenes producer of a few sports shows (on-site producer covering RTE's Olympics and world cup coverage for example). Just not in front of the camera anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Adol Hitler, from a Corporal in WW1 blinded by gas to (arguably) the most powerful man on Earth to biting on a cyanide capsule and putting one in the side of his head with Eva Braun just taking the poison.

Don't forget he was Time Magazine's Man of the year 1938.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I actually know a "gentleman" who works with children and he is very similar. He creates his backstory to suit the parents. Whatever the parents need to believe, he creates it. He will tell conservative catholics he was in the brotherhood, he will tell working class people he was just getting by, he will tell the doctors he was in the Iveagh league colleges in America.
    The problem is when is clients get together and compare stories they all conflict. He takes other peoples stories and makes them his own, like when he was a male nurse. But his linked in profile tells the story of a happy clappy arts degree from an internet college and Masters from a printing press college here in Ireland.
    He holidays in dodgy seedy places has a creepy person about him (and its not just me who noticed it). He has been caught fiddling money from the works books. These guys are out there with pseudo academics. Its not important that they have them its important that you believe that he has them

Not Kevin Street I take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The Kony 2012 guy. One day he was head of a massive movement to get rid of an African warlord, the next he got naked and had a wánk in public.

I'd say he had some flute on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I have really mixed feelings on him. He's a bit of a headwreck and a pseudo intellectual. And he's annoyingly loud.
    But on the other hand he beat a drug addiction, an eating disorder, a highly dysfunctional father to make something out of his life. He was also sexualy abused as a child.
    It's fairly understandable that he's 'weird' and can be unlikeable, but he's had a very hard life and made a success of it. He also didn't take a penny from his divorce, and he certainly could have cashed in there for 10's of millions, so I have respect for him. Even if his comedy isn't really my thing.

In one of his earlier series he gave a homeless guy a 'hand' in the toilets until completion, despite him obviously not being gay. He's genuinely a bit mental like.

Unlikable except to the thousands of women he's bedded. If that's unlikable then sign me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ant McPartlin.

Not Kevin Street I take it.

No, It was Harvard "but it really wasnt a patch on Princeton". But it makes a great story to tell the kids. The only was he was getting Princeton was working in the canteen clearing tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A certain Irish radio presenter seems to have recovered his career in spite of his public hand-shandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

that actually answers a lot of questions......... if they start young in RTE they rise fast like Tubridy and Jonathan Philbin Bowman, Angus McNally. Why didnt this young lad rise?

They discover that there's usually more creative control and money to be made behind the camera than in front of it. Plus, lots of people don't really like the inevitable fame that comes with it; even if it's just people randomly talking to you on the street.

You need an ego like Tubridy's, Gaybo's or Kenny's to stick with it.

Kevo didn't go on the gear, he's a producer in RTE or something.

A certain Irish radio presenter seems to have recovered his career in spite of his public hand-shandy.

"You can beat an egg, You can beat your wife but you cant beat a wánk!!" Tom "the bull" Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, Jonathan Philbin Bowman had a serious alcohol issue, which tragically cost him his life. He was an odd kind of guy, but I sort of liked him for at least trying. No doubt, he got into RTE via nepotism, as do most RTe folks, but he did more than others. I imagine he wanted to prove himself.

Mary went freelance, I think. She did the strip and dip in Wicklow last month...not that I'd be knowing much about that now, sir. ;)

Brian Reddin is a producer-he works on many's a documentary, one from a few years back was the 'Roger Corman in Ireland' one that was on TG4.

Andy Ruane made many's a million from production deals, including the Lyrics Board. He had a number of projects, and websites, and owned LikeItLoveIt productions....
    Unfortunately lost all of it via failed ventures.

Steve Curran did a similar thing, was presenting on young people's programs, and then set up his own company. Along the way, he snagged the weather girl Helen Leonard (now Helen Curran) and they are still together (going on 20 years, together, I think). I remember them announcing their engagement on the Den.

Andy Ruane made many's a million from production deals, including the Lyrics Board. He had a number of projects, and websites, and owned LikeItLoveIt productions....
    Unfortunately lost all of it via failed ventures.

Andy Ruane? The RTE wonder boy.... broke ? NEVER?!!!

I knew he was in a high risk business with some great international successes. I never knew he had fallen on hard times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Jay Leno interview redeemed him-it was a blip on the radar. He's (Hugh Grant) made children's films since. Doing alright for himself.

In fairness he was very good in Paddington

(Don't judge me, I've kids)

He is the voice of the chief Pirate in Pirates: Band of misfits.
    Great movie...... I am going through a Pirate phase..... aghrrrrr!!!

(Don't judge me, I've kids)

...Promise you'll let them go when we pay the ransom? KAte and William are worried...

(Been meaning to see Paddington 2 myself-don't have kids, but I love those kinds of movies).
    He is the voice of the chief Pirate in Pirates: Band of misfits.
    Great movie...... I am going through a Pirate phase..... aghrrrrr!!!

Hilarious movie-it even redeems David Tennant, cos that guy can't catch a break when it comes to movies. He's been in some absolute turkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I wouldnt go near that with a powerhose

You already did with the right wing comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ray Darcy
    From the glory days of then Den to now :(

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ray Darcy
    From the glory days of then Den to now :(

When did it go wrong for him-like, the exact point it started to dip?

I mean, I look at him now and he's a disaster-but I'd love to know the precise moment.

I never listened to him on the radio, but I do remember when I started to hear talk of him in not so polite terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When did it go wrong for him-like, the exact point it started to dip?

I mean, I look at him now and he's a disaster-but I'd love to know the precise moment.

I never listened to him on the radio, but I do remember when I started to hear talk of him in not so polite terms.

When he started projecting his healthy lifestyle bollocks thru his radio show on today fm. Never came down off his high horse after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Bill Cosby - not that much of an earth-tremor when he hit the ground outside America but at home he was the very embodiment of the decent upstanding dad of middle-class America (even though the Huxable house was surely only affordable to a multi-millionaire) and he was the black actor who seemed to be embraced by just about everyone before it was profitable to do so.

OJ Simpson is another of course in a sporting context.

If you grew up in Ireland in the 80's you knew who Bill Cosby was, the Cosby Show was huge here as it was in many countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Colonel Qaddafi. 1980s a respected North African leader. Libya was developing a solid reputation.

Post 2010, turned into a nervous embittered wreck of a murderous tyrant.

Eh, respected? No, feared yes, but there was never any doubt that he was a despot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Jane Fonda.

At least for me anyway having watched the Vietnam war series. Regardless of political stance on the war, to have gone to Vietnam and declared that all American POWs should be executed, while they were still being held prisoner, was appalling. I was with her about all the bombings and destruction until I heard her say that. A lot of them had no desire to be in Vietnam in the first place and were just following orders, others were medics who went there to save lives and not take them. To tar them all as deserving execution is just vile.

Were a lot of those stories not quite thoroughly debunked though?

If you grew up in Ireland in the 80's you knew who Bill Cosby was, the Cosby Show was huge here as it was in many countries.

Yeah, same. The Cosby show was massive. Even had a crossover with the Muppets in one episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have no doubt the same crap is going on as we speak. Somebody hiding behind gender equality or race equality is keeping the focus off themselves.

Even if you consider people who actually know what’s going on but keep their mouth shut. Look at Meryl Streep who is considered a voice of #metoo despite the fact she had to have some idea of Weinstein’s extra curricular activities. And yet she gets a free pass cause we all like her!!!

I don't. I think she's an insufferable bint. Oprah too.

Generally, all these people (public figures) that we all like turn out to be complete arseholes

Yeah, same. The Cosby show was massive. Even had a crossover with the Muppets in one episode.

Why did you have to bring that up ?
    You know that brings out the night sweats in the Muppet cast to this day!??!
    tenor.gif?itemid=4989763

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

...Promise you'll let them go when we pay the ransom? KAte and William are worried...

(Been meaning to see Paddington 2 myself-don't have kids, but I love those kinds of movies).

You can have mine

Might need to clear it with the wife though.

You can have mine

Might need to clear it with the wife though.

Sadly not allowed-it violates my probation...

(I'm joking, I swear-don't even have penalty points, clean criminal record me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Graham Linehan. Co-wrote arguably the funniest sitcom of all time. Now spends his days getting into arguments with transsexuals on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Graham Linehan. Co-wrote arguably the funniest sitcom of all time. Now spends his days getting into arguments with transsexuals on the internet.

Indeed, he is a bitter sad f*cker, despite the brilliant CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Now spends his days getting into arguments with transsexuals on the internet.

Ah now, that describes half of the Boards population if the right thread comes along :pac:

I don't. I think she's an insufferable bint. Oprah too.

Generally, all these people (public figures) that we all like turn out to be complete arseholes

If I was trapped in a lift with either of those two, I'd kill myself...very useful carrying a pen around, for sure.

Streep is an idiot-she's a paid object who thinks her purpose in life is more than it is. When she started quoting Margaret Thatcher, I knew she'd lost her damn mind.
    Ditto when she kept repeating the 'Walt Disney was a racist and sexist based on a falsified letter someone posted on the web'. Disney employed a whole host of races, religions (and none) and genders in every section of his industry. The ink and paint department was all women, women worked as animators on Bambi, and Dumbo, and Jewish artists like Joe Grant were responsible for films like Lady and the Tramp.

He also employed black and Asian artists, the latter being most notable as this occurred during the 40s went anti-Asian sentiment was high, and books like 'Slap a Jap' or 'Whack a jap' were going around instructing people how to tell the Japanese people from other Asian ethnicities such as Chinese and Phillipino people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sean Quinn. Worked his way up from nothing to become the richest man in Ireland, then during the crash he went bankrupt and spent time in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

chris brown was, and always will be badly tainted from the rihanna assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm going to have to say the United Kingdom. From one of the more sensible super powers (I know that's debatable) to a country that willingly chose to leave the biggest single market in the world to do deals with much poorer countries in the commonwealth. All based on a Tory rivalry between two old Etonians, Boris and Dave.

But she did give us those wonderful carpet coats to hide her colostomy bag
    She bought them in a yard sale at Chairman Mao's gaff.

Macauly Culkin. His career fizzled out when people began to realise that he couldn't actually act.
    Also that kid from the Sixth Sense, he was tipped for big things, I think he's retired from Hollywood now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Pablo Escobar

Robsweezie wrote: »
    chris brown was, and always will be badly tainted from the rihanna assault.

I have a different theory on what happened that night.
    The official story is that Chris was eyeing up Leona Lewis and Rihanna kicked up about it and what happened is as reported. My theory is that it was Rihanna that was looking at Leona Lewis and Chris kicked it off.

Boy that lads career has suffered. I think he was refused entry into Australia based on the assault charge. I am not saying he was innocent but one moment rash decision has cost him big time.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Jake Lloyd from Star Wars Episode One?
    The Fan blamed him for the film when he was just a child actor and ..... not saying there wasnt something there genetically but he developed Bipolar Disorder afterwards and got into a lot of trouble with the law. He had to do 60 interviews a day. Then there is the whole creepy thing of child actors in HollyWood (ie Corey Haim).

Sounds like he had a hellish childhood.

She bought them in a yard sale at Chairman Mao's gaff.

Dont knock them yard sales. I was over at Kim Jung Ils a few years back after his father passed and got a grand submarine in good nick, few dents and a bit leaky but good nick. His young lad Kim Jung Un was supposed to be set for great things, did me a good deal on a few Korean helmets

Macauly Culkin. His career fizzled out when people began to realise that he couldn't actually act.
    Also that kid from the Sixth Sense, he was tipped for big things, I think he's retired from Hollywood now.

When he Began, he genuinely loved acting-Culkin I mean. Then his dad started grabbing the money, trying to make as much money from his kid (and later kids-Rory and Kieran, to name a few) as he could. It genuinely killed his love for acting, and you could see that in films like Getting Even with Dad and Richie Rich.
    When he hated it, he decided to leave it behind. He did return to acting as a 19 and 20 something year old, in films like Party Monster (When he started doing small roles, for himself and not his dad, he received a letter from his estranged father 'congratulating' him-as he himself said, 'it tells you all about the guy. Culkin's parents divorced when he was a teenager). Also has a film coming out with Seth Green either this year or next year. Green's movie directorial debut-he's directed tv before, just never a movie.

Sixth Sense Kid, aka HAley Joel Osment is still acting, currently stars in Silicon Valley, and has provided the voice for the lead character in the Kingdom Hearts series of games, from the beginning of the series. Never quit acting, pretty much been working since he was four-will be 30 this year too.
    His sister, Emily, was in Spy Kids and Hannah Montana-she's in her 20s now and is really fit.

emily-elysium-1-407x609.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Perhaps it was Matthews that was the real brains behind the operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hard to get across how Ivor Callely was, seemingly, on the road politically, to better things at one point.

Going from a seemingly bright future to smearing tea bags on a wall.. and ending up in court because of it.

Perhaps it was Matthews that was the real brains behind the operation.

Sadly, I doubt it. Now, while I think Mathews might have been instrumental in the great casting, I think Linehan was the better writer. (Pains me to say that)

Case in point-the one solo project Mathews made-Hippies-was a really bland and dark series. Like, miserable comedy, without the acute observations. Linehan's name is on it, but he left very early on in development-it's purely Mathews baby).

The solo projects ('solo' meaning without Mathews) of Linehan are Black Books (Which Mathews wrote one episode of, the rest was Linehan and Moran), the IT Crowd (I still find Chris O'Dowd annoying in that-he overacts), and Motherland (latter I haven't seen, but gets good reviews).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Michael Richards aka Kramer from Seinfeld - his racist rant on stage while being heckled put an end to his career.

Mel Gibson for his infamous anti-semitic remarks, though he is making somewhat of a comeback now both in front and behind the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

wexie wrote: »
    Jane Fonda.

At least for me anyway having watched the Vietnam war series. Regardless of political stance on the war, to have gone to Vietnam and declared that all American POWs should be executed, while they were still being held prisoner, was appalling. I was with her about all the bombings and destruction until I heard her say that. A lot of them had no desire to be in Vietnam in the first place and were just following orders, others were medics who went there to save lives and not take them. To tar them all as deserving execution is just vile.

Were a lot of those stories not quite thoroughly debunked though?

About what she said? If you log into Netflix and go to episode 9 of the vietnam war, (possibly 8?) you can watch footage of her saying the prisoners should be executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

bazz26 wrote: »

Mel Gibson for his infamous anti-semitic remarks, though he is making somewhat of a comeback now both in front and behind the camera.

I can't think of him now without thinking of that South Park episode!! :/ :pac: I don't know how they get away with it!

Another two infamous meltdowns, sad and tragic - Britney and Whitney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im not convinced Mother Teresa was a bad person. She gave patients a christian baptism secretly without their consent, because she believed it was the only way they would get into heaven, which we consider wrong now, but if she did that instead of openly trying to convert people then surely she cared more about people reaching eternal salvation in christian heaven than religious agenda?

• Advertisement
Advertisement