Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is this boat on marine radar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,649 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Currently 24 miles from the Lizard, hope to be around Lands End bt 2-3 in the morning, then North for Dublin!! ( and hopefully a bit of sailing!!)

Is this boat on marine radar?

No, so the best I can do is a photo of an iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Currently 24 miles from the Lizard, hope to be around Lands End bt 2-3 in the morning, then North for Dublin!! ( and hopefully a bit of sailing!!)

Wind looks to be dropping a bit and going a little bit W.N.W. once you get around Land's End for a while in the early morning. You ought to get a bit fresher from the S.S.W. during the afternoon with 12-18kt from S.S.W. for the run up to Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Let us know when you are getting close to Malahide I'll try and drop by.

• Advertisement

Just passed Lands End about 2 hours ago, only about 8-10 kts of wind so motor sailing with the main up.

Lots of shipping traffic waiting to get into Falmouth, and now running parallel to the north/south shipping lanes.

Fairly big Atlantic swell, and some fog patches!

Just picked up Rosslare Coastguard Radio (it’s nice to hear Irish voices on the radio again!!)

Oh yeah, Ships Radio License arrived in the post yesterday so I shall give Rosslare a call later for a radio check, using my full title!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Very quite here :)

fergal.b wrote: »

Everybody gone to Dublin for the Welcome Home party... ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

In the instagram modern world, Sailing's terrible slow when you actually want to get somewhere specific at a certain time . Totally different to just larking about locally going wherever the wind blows .

only 7 hrs behind schedule to get to lands end .

Imagine if there was no motor and ye had to wait for the weather, and favourable winds, no wonder the pubs and brothels in ports did so well in the pre industrial past !

• Advertisement

A bit of a breeze out there now to bring him home.

39775389_283876205550700_6728496105216016384_n_zpst9wqe0a0.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No news is good news! :)

I suppose he needs to be pretty close to the coast to get decent coverage for updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bigus wrote: »
    .......Imagine if there was no motor and ye had to wait for the weather, and favourable winds, no wonder the pubs and brothels in ports did so well in the pre industrial past !

It was called 'tiding it down Channel'

I wonder if Abb is taking a route inside or outside the banks up the E Coast....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

*intermission* :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    *intermission* :)

Have I time to go the lobby for popcorn?

I dont remember a more keenly awaited arrival since the Gypsy Moth in 1967....

Anyone got a long range VHF that could put a shout out, thought we would have herd something by now.

Anyone got a long range VHF that could put a shout out, thought we would have herd something by now.

He passed Lands End around 04:30. Approx 130nm from there to be off Rosslare would put him at that point in about 16 hours at avg 8 knots. So if he's been making around 8knots, he'd be just around East of Wexford around now. With mobile signal so poor on the Irish Sea, I wouldnt expect any updates until morning.

A good blow out there now from the South West. They'll be flying by now I'd say...

I reckon Paddy Power should have opened a pool on arrival time at home port... Id have gone for 09:56 in the morning... :D

• Advertisement

Just gone past Tusker Light, and phone signal returned.

Had some great sailing yesterday, hitting on average 8-8.5 kts at times. Then the wind and swell really picked up after dark, and pushing into a tide we finally slowly just passed Rosslare!
    Tide will turn with us now in about 2 hours, and in the lee of the land, we should steam on northwards!!
    I’ll have a fiver on arrival between 2-4pm today!!

Just entering the Arklow bank inside channel now. Motor sailing with main only with 2 reefs, and making good ground.

It was fairly hairy for the last few hours with a big swell behold us and about 20 knots of breeze, but it seems to have settled down a lot now.

Wicklow head on the horizon, and back into familiar territory.

Possibly the last few hours of this thread?? On the verge of bringing my new boat home!!

And I’m done.

Boat is moored up in Malahide, entering at close to low water was fun!! Had 30cm of clearance under the keel at one stage, but we got in!

At home now, about to have a scalding hot shower for about an hour, then go to bed for many many hours as I’m bloody wrecked!!

What an adventure though!! The Solent (and the 6 Mayday calls we heard), Poole, The Naval warship at night in the live firing zone with its bizarre light display, Fog, Salcombe, Lands End, Screaming up towards Ireland, Dolphins, the huge seas just before Rosslare, more fog, and a big rain squall in Dublin Bay!!

Now! Where to go sailing this weekend!!

Well done you glad it all worked out.

The Solent (and the 6 Mayday calls we heard), Poole, The Naval warship at night in the live firing zone with its bizarre light display, Fog, Salcombe, Lands End, Screaming up towards Ireland, Dolphins, the huge seas just before Rosslare, more fog, and a big rain squall in Dublin Bay!!

Sounds fantastic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Baptism of fire , it'll be all plain sailing after that.

A great shakedown and way to gain confidence in the boat , with experts on hand , a fair auld run for first time out , and no major boat issues reported ,seems like a good purchase well bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Fair play ! A great introduction to your new purchase and brilliant memories to keep too. Thanks for keeping us updated, good job I was off this week 'cos I wouldn't have got anything done in work with all the checking in here..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Now to get her in race mode, the autumn leagues kick off in a few weeks in Howth ;);)

neris wrote: »
    Now to get her in race mode, the autumn leagues kick off in a few weeks in Howth ;);)

Slowly slowly catch a monkey!!

I'll need a spinnaker pole before I can race! and a crew!!

I'd say it'll be a few years before I race her. It'll all be about the cruising for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Slowly slowly catch a monkey!!

I'll need a spinnaker pole before I can race! and a crew!!

I'd say it'll be a few years before I race her. It'll all be about the cruising for the foreseeable future

White Sails :D:D:D:D

Advertisement