Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche in Estate using communal area as play area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ooooh, my pride :rolleyes:

I made the comment about ratios because OP said there were 2-3 people minding 20 kids of creche age, which sounds like far too few for me.

Spoken like a true ignorant parent. "Children are bothering you on a consistent basis by being shipped in to play outside your home? GET OVER IT"

It's daytime. The MC could put a rock breaking digger outside the OPs apartment and they can't do anything about it. I work nights and have to try to sleep with the maintenance team maintaining the complex. But no matter how much notice they make once its after 8am there is nothing that can be done. The OP also complains about the children who live in the complex playing outside their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's daytime. The MC could put a rock breaking digger outside the OPs apartment and they can't do anything about it. I work nights and have to try to sleep with the maintenance team maintaining the complex. But no matter how much notice they make once its after 8am there is nothing that can be done. The OP also complains about the children who live in the complex playing outside their home.

I'm well aware of that, and I have issues with some of the other stuff that OP has mentioned, but I'm just saying I don't think it's being unreasonable to ask for some mutual respect. The MC seems to think this is a problem, it would be different if they had arranged things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Im the OP - and that comment was dragged up from a post I was commenting on RE pro vs cons of apartment living. Of course noisy kids are a con of apartment living. I wouldn't complain about them though.

But please you and the rest of the gang continue to put words in my mouth to suit your own agenda :)

I'm well aware of that, and I have issues with some of the other stuff that OP has mentioned, but I'm just saying I don't think it's being unreasonable to ask for some mutual respect. The MC seems to think this is a problem, it would be different if they had arranged things.

What dont you agree with?

My position is many Kids from local creche regularly making a-lot of noise in close proximity to my house.

I Would like them not to make as much noise as regularly as they currently are.

I merely asked the management company would it be within reason to complain/chat to the creche about my situation.

I think people are getting me confused for people who are adding bits to the story.

I don't hate kids :P

Nothing more nothing less. Im not debating the planning permission of the creche, I dont care about their ratio of adults to kids. etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Gatling wrote: »
    The ratio is 1-5, 1-6 ,1-8 ,1-10 for childcare depending on ages and what they are getting full ,part or sessional Hours,
    settings for outdoors they can increase the number of Staff if it's needed ,staff are also trained trained to carry out risk assessments of outdoor spaces if they choose to take kids out ,staff are also trained to do small and large group activities this is all standard stuff ,

I'm pretty sure the 1:10 limit was increased to 1:11 a few years back, maybe it never went through?

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »

I think people are getting me confused for people who are adding bits to the story.

Almost definitely, at this point I can't remember what you said vs what was inferred by others. Apologies. I live in an apartment complex and the kids are bloody noisy, no issue with it because it's not sustained and it's not every day (and it's great to hear kids enjoying themselves), but having 20 of them shipped in daily would do my head in.

Almost definitely, at this point I can't remember what you said vs what was inferred by others. Apologies. I live in an apartment complex and the kids are bloody noisy, no issue with it because it's not sustained and it's not every day (and it's great to hear kids enjoying themselves), but having 20 of them shipped in daily would do my head in.

Thanks for getting back to me on that! It gave me an opportunity to clear up my position for the months of people who will come to this thread and assume im the old man from "Up".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

pearcider wrote: »
    It's frightening how the common sense approach to things is being quickly eroded in Ireland. Some people want the government to do everything. These are the same people who would support a totalitarian regime and inform on their own family members. Normal people should confront these legalistic grand standers wherever they find them.

You're advocating a common sense approach, yet using a reference to totalitarian regimes on a thread about... creche's and communal areas?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thanks for getting back to me on that! It gave me an opportunity to clear up my position for the months of people who will come to this thread and assume im the old man from "Up".

Hang in there Thomas. We'll all get there in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ectoraige wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the 1:10 limit was increased to 1:11 a few years back, maybe it never went through?

Some do 1-10 others do 1-11 again all depending on service type and ages ,some will go with a higher staff ratio depending on actual business set up

• Advertisement

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you not entitled to a right; the peaceful enjoyment of your home/property?

People are right about noise laws, but the creche aren't allowed to partake in anti social behaviour just because they're allowed be noisy. Call the gardai and tell them you've 20 kids hanging around the house and they'll respond as it is a legitimate issue (naturally, they'll expect rowdy teens, etc. but I'm just using it as an example to make the point that you can't just fire a load of kids outside someone's house and think it's okay).

Personally, I'd be out having a word with the owner of the creche, and I'd get onto the local council, management company, etc. again. I'd be driven demented with the noise of a creche in my front garden.

I know I'm late to the thread and may have missed this, but do the creche not have their own play area? It'd be shocking rare to seen one without an enclosed playground built as part of it.

Chances are, OP, if you're sick of it, a lot of the houses there are, too, but no one wants to admit it because any ill feeling towards a child/ren makes you a monster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,949 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ooooh, my pride :rolleyes:

I made the comment about ratios because OP said there were 2-3 people minding 20 kids of creche age, which sounds like far too few for me.

"Minding" or educating?

The contempt shown to professional early childhood educators here is really quite stunning.

Of course there are different ratios for marginally trained volunteers vs full time professionals ....

Spoken like a true ignorant parent. "Children are bothering you on a consistent basis by being shipped in to play outside your home? GET OVER IT"

+1

The absolute arrogance of some parents is astounding. People dont care about random kids they dont want them annoying them and they shouldn't be annoying people but they get a free pass because they "are only kids" :rolleyes:.

Who cares if they are only kids it doesn't give them the right to annoying people and if that means they have to play on concrete or kept inside then so be it. That's on top of the very legitimate safety issues and general annoyance of a big group of kids being in a communal area of an estate everyday preventing others from using it.

The very same parents will be the same ones going ballistic if there is a bit of noise from a house party once in a blue moon because their little darling might be woken, while their child wakes up people at 9am every Saturday morning running around roaring outside while many people are trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People are right about noise laws, but the creche aren't allowed to partake in anti social behaviour just because they're allowed be noisy. Call the gardai and tell them you've 20 kids hanging around the house and they'll respond as it is a legitimate issue (naturally, they'll expect rowdy teens, etc. but I'm just using it as an example to make the point that you can't just fire a load of kids outside someone's house and think it's okay).

I'm sorry but this is some of the worst advice I've seen given on this forum. The Gardaí aren't to be used for a few kids from a creche outside a home during the day. The OP has already started the correct process to get the issue resolved by contacting the MC and asking about the creches use of the green space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ahhh you couldn’t call the Garda about kids playing. That’s a bad egg thing to do as well as wasting guards valuable time. They’d not be impressed I’d bet!

Sounds worse that her yer wan ringing the Gards about the child selling the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Im the OP - and that comment was dragged up from a post I was commenting on RE pro vs cons of apartment living. Of course noisy kids are a con of apartment living. I wouldn't complain about them though.

But please you and the rest of the gang continue to put words in my mouth to suit your own agenda :)

I didn't "dig it up" I read your other posts to see whether you had problems with larger humans. Kids are lovely and I surmised you would dislike most people if you disliked kids.
    I then posted your words with little comment of my own to allow you to clarify, I don't believe anyone put words in your mouth.

btw you should have approached the ceche manager first not gone straight to reporting the kids for being out in the nice part of the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jack Moore wrote:
    I didn't "dig it up" I read your other posts to see whether you had problems with larger humans. Kids are lovely and I surmised you would dislike most people if you disliked kids. I then posted your words with little comment of my own to allow you to clarify, I don't believe anyone put words in your mouth.

Some kids are lovely and some kids are right little bolloxes. But surmise away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The same laws that govern dogs barking govern noise from humans - it costs you a tenner to lodge a complaint with your lical district court and you dont need a solicitor - write to the MC complaining about the noise that is interferung with your enjoyment of ykur property and write to the creche too citing the same reasons - get a directors or managers name - the same name you will use on your DC complaint. You have to be seen to have approached them and asked nicely and been reasonable but after that if they persist yake times and days and durations and a description - shrill piercing unrelenting screaming left unadressed by either of the 3 attendants lasting 20 minutes etc
    The judge shoukd put manners on the creche owners if noone else will.

Regarding a claim ALL the householders who are shareholders in the MC would be liable for the increased policy or costals so they should all be interested - as shoukd the question of limiting the use of communal residental childrens facilities for children brough into the area for profit by the business. I assume there are not 20 or 30 swings?

Jack Moore wrote: »
    I didn't "dig it up" I read your other posts to see whether you had problems with larger humans. Kids are lovely and I surmised you would dislike most people if you disliked kids.
    I then posted your words with little comment of my own to allow you to clarify, I don't believe anyone put words in your mouth.

btw you should have approached the ceche manager first not gone straight to reporting the kids for being out in the nice part of the complex.

If you had taken some of the time you spent going through my boards history and read the thread you would know I didn't report them...

Re: kids are lovely. Your right they are.

Just to add you "summising" my entire personality form a few threads on boards.ie is like me saying you have never been outside and your a nerd judging from a glance of your own history. But that's petty and I won't quote your unrelated conversations here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

and i would surmise that anyone who just declares, unequivocally, that 'kids are lovely' is a bit simple.

I think dogs are lovely. So can I bring 20 of them to bark outside your window all day?

No? God, you must hate animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

You could argue that the greater good is having children screaming outside the OPs home than stuck in doors for the day so the OP can make a few phone calls.

Yeah and you could argue also that it would be for the greater good if you sold all your possessions and gave the money to the homeless.

You don't want to do that? boy, how selfish are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Totally incorrect and would possibly lead to dispute and argument.

Op was 100% correct in going via the management company - that's what the management company is there for.

If the management company had an agreement with the creche, then that would have been communicated and the op would have to accept it and hence there'd be no confrontation with the creche.

Maybe some people think challenging the cause of the nuisance is right, but you will find in almost all caaes that approach causes far more problems than it resolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

To be fair there's a lot of high horse opinions showing up on this thread!!! To all those who think that the OP is the devil himself to query the legality/right of a creche using common residential grounds as a playground let me ask you this:
    • When it comes to kids playing is it a case of whatever keeps them happy is absolutely fine???Let's just say there's up to 20 young people, maybe kids of residents in the estate,maybe they're not. They decide to start hanging out close to YOUR residence,they play their games,football,listening to music shouting/roaring etc as often happens,is that OK too?? Would you genuinely not be annoyed by not being able to leave your windows open because of noise levels?

I genuinely cannot wrap my head around the fact that people think that 20 screaming kids at play is something to wonderful to behold.......sure hearing a few kids being kids is sweet and tugs at memories of our happy childhood games........but up to 20 all at once,5 days a week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This has nothing to do with noise outside the OP's property or even children, it is 100% about a private company using common property as part of their business. It is 100% a management company issue and a massive insurance risk. The directors of the management company are being negligent in allowing this to persist. Needs to be nipped in the bud asap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

again.....

folks, please leave out the snarky comments/sly-digs/amateur-psychology/grammar-police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Apologies, I bowed out and missed the replies. The GRPR has meant that the blanket permission slip that covered kids from day 1 in infants to their last day in 6th class is now null and void. Schools were provided with GDPR kits and this was one of the fallouts. I think it is ridiculous tbh and schools are seriously pissed off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

OP - as has been mentioned time & time again here.... they are using a communal area. Why dont you take a week off work, and make use of the communal area every day too?

Just get there 5 mins before the creche arrives. Then you can walk your pitbull, while smoking, practising your hurling / golf / archery; and also practising your screaming like a madman.

They may not want to graze the childer there after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Akrasia wrote: »
    No it's not.
    My kids school regularly takes children to the playground or to the church for communion preparation or to the garda station/fire station for talks and tours

We only find out about them when we collect the kids afterwards

It's gas, half the time on this website people give out about excessive regulations and red tape, and the other half there are people giving out about companies/schools not following imaginary red tape to prevent them from doing something they don't think they should be allowed to do.

Don't worry OP, it won't be sunny forever. Eventually the rain will come back and you'll not have to worry about these children outside getting fresh air anymore.

OK, what I said isn't true so. A decade teaching and school management experience too but what do I know?. GDPR only came in towards the end of the school year remember, many schools won't implement religiously it until September. It's to do with people's signatures being kept at length as far as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

OK, what I said isn't true so. A decade teaching and school management experience too but what do I know?. GDPR only came in towards the end of the school year remember, many schools won't implement religiously it until September. It's to do with people's signatures being kept at length as far as I understand.

I suggest you take it up with your school management if they think GDPR means the school needs consent forms for every individual activity outside school premises during the school year. GDPR doesn't prohibit schools from holding consent on file, it just means the school has to have facilities to allow parents to withdraw consent and prohibits automatic opt in clauses. The school could have a permission slip covering regular school activities for the year but parents could refuse consent for individual types of activity in which case the school would have to withdraw their signature and draw up a new consent form for them to sign

• Advertisement

"Minding" or educating?

The contempt shown to professional early childhood educators here is really quite stunning.

Of course there are different ratios for marginally trained volunteers vs full time professionals ....

I haven't been contemptuous at all, rather you've gone out of your way to assert that I am just a volunteer, marginally trained, all the rest. I have the utmost respect for childcare professionals as a general group, I just agree with OP that these particular ones don't seem to be acting professionally based on the evidence provided. I'd appreciate it if you could tone down the personal digs.

Advertisement