Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Leaving Cert Scripts

Options
  • 09-07-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi, Is there anyone on here who viewed some of their leaving cert scripts in August/September after their exams?

I plan to have a look at one or two, depending on results this year.

What is the procedure? I know i have to pay to get them rechecked but do i have to pay to view them?

Also on the day what happens? How long do i get to view each script and is it possible to view all of your scripts? Am i aloud take a phone/calculator in with me? Will the marking schemes be published before or after this date?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No you don't pay.

In with your results will be a sheet to order which scripts you want to see.
    Your school will assign you a day and time.
    Yes you can see all of your scripts.
    Yes marking schemes will be published beforehand.

Last year's details, other than dates they will be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Thanks Spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's usually a three hour slot you have to view the scripts. You can bring a calculator with you, but not a phone, and not anything you could write with either.

You are also allowed have someone view the script with you, but only one person at a time. So if you want to view your French and Maths, you could ask your French teacher and your maths teacher if they would attend. They are not obliged to as it's at the weekend and they don't get paid for it. Some do and some don't. But you can't have them both around the table at the same time, so typically a student viewing multiple scripts in their slot will ask teachers to come in at different times.

It also means you can't have your teacher, your mother, your sister and the dog sitting around the table with you.

Marking schemes will be provided on the day. You can take as long as you want to view a script but you can only have one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

... You can bring a calculator with you, but not a phone, and not anything you could write with either.

Actually, change of rules this year. You CAN bring in a phone or camera to take images of your scripts. (Still not allowed a writing implement, though, for obvious reasons.)

See candidate information booklet, which you should have already got. Available here - all 20 Mb of it!
    https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-CA-60294532.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Actually, change of rules this year. You CAN bring in a phone or camera to take images of your scripts. (Still not allowed a writing implement, though, for obvious reasons.)

See candidate information booklet, which you should have already got. Available here - all 20 Mb of it!

I'm not doubting you but I'm not downloading all of that file.

I think that would cause a lot of trouble IF students take photos of their scripts and put them on social media and it will happen. I'm sure there's something in GDPR for things like this. We were told to turn off mobile phones at marking conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I'm not doubting you but I'm not downloading all of that file.

I think that would cause a lot of trouble IF students take photos of their scripts and put them on social media and it will happen. I'm sure there's something in GDPR for things like this. We were told to turn off mobile phones at marking conference.

An EU court ruling means that exam scripts are now the personal data of each student. This means that students may create a copy of their own exam scripts.

Specifically, Organising Superintendents have been told that students may bring in a camera or phone for the purpose of making copies of their scripts. Students will not be allowed use the school photocopier.

I'm not sure what the rules are in terms of sharing the copies of their scripts. I should think it's fine if it's considered their own data. It might take exam technique analysis to a new level.

Also new is that students pretty well must apply for the rechecks online.

Just had a look at the link that MathsManiac provided. Not only can we take "any digital device" in to take pictures of the scripts, but we can also request a copy of all the information (scripts, oral recordings, marks on project materials etc.) to be sent out to us according to The Data Protection Act 2007. And these have to be sent out within 90 days of receipt of request. However they will only send these out after the appeals deadline. So its not much use.

This is a big change i think.
    Is it only a matter of time for them to have to make the JC scripts available?

Just had a look at the link that MathsManiac provided. Not only can we take "any digital device" in to take pictures of the scripts, but we can also request a copy of all the information (scripts, oral recordings, marks on project materials etc.) to be sent out to us according to The Data Protection Act 2007. And these have to be sent out within 90 days of receipt of request. However they will only send these out after the appeals deadline. So its not much use.

This is a big change i think.
    Is it only a matter of time for them to have to make the JC scripts available?

That won't ever be possible as it would be a logistical nightmare. Why a student would want to see their scripts after the JC unless they felt there was a major discrepancy is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If personal data regs are forcing those changes at LC, I can't see why they wouldn't apply at JC as well. They will probably treat it as a Data Protection request however (i.e. within 90 days / fee charged) rather than setting up a viewing system like LC, and that will dissuade most people with any sense.

And I doubt many people will actually bother ... by the time JC results come out, most students have realised that JC is pretty much a practice run for the "real thing" these days.

If personal data regs are forcing those changes at LC, I can't see why they wouldn't apply at JC as well. They will probably treat it as a Data Protection request however (i.e. within 90 days / fee charged) rather than setting up a viewing system like LC, and that will dissuade most people with any sense.

And I doubt many people will actually bother ... by the time JC results come out, most students have realised that JC is pretty much a practice run for the "real thing" these days.

True, i dont see why any JC person would bother pay a fee and wait. I did mine a few years ago and by the time i got my results in 4th year, i had no interest or want to view them!

Also I dont see much LC students availing of the a Data Protection Request either as the " view your scripts service" is a lot more efficiant in my opinion and it is pretty clear from the above link that any data request made will not be processed untill after the Appeals Service deadline, therefore it wouldnt be useful, however you can view the script by the existing service before this deadline!

I plan to look over most of my scripts at the end of august, and i will take some photos of the front pages with the overall marks (now that i will be permitted to do so, why not?!!) but I dont see any point in requesting all that information to be sent out, to me by post.

• Advertisement

True, i dont see why any JC person would bother pay a fee and wait. I did mine a few years ago and by the time i got my results in 4th year, i had no interest or want to view them!
    You and 99.9% of the cohort, kan! :D

I'm not sure what the rules are in terms of sharing the copies of their scripts. I should think it's fine if it's considered their own data.
    I think that would cause a lot of trouble IF students take photos of their scripts and put them on social media and it will happen.
    I think this is going to be a problem all right.

I can see people who (obviously and by definition) have no experience of correcting and applying a marking scheme* comparing and deciding that if A got (say) 70% for that answer, they were entitled to at least that too, not the 60% they actually got.

In fact, who wants to bet that the loudest wails of anguish and outrage will come from people who haven't even LOOKED at the marking scheme? :D

#cynic :pac:

*Which is why we constantly reiterate every year that you are far better off asking a teacher (and preferably one who is an experienced examiner) to view your scripts with you.

Students just aren't the best judges of their own scripts. They can't be ... they don't have the relevant experience, and even the most level-headed person will have a natural bias when judging themselves.

You and 99.9% of the cohort, kan! :D

I think this is going to be a problem all right.

I can see people who (obviously and by definition) have no experience of correcting and applying a marking scheme* comparing and deciding that if A got (say) 70% for that answer, they were entitled to at least that too, not the 60% they actually got.

In fact, who wants to bet that the loudest wails of anguish and outrage will come from people who haven't even LOOKED at the marking scheme? :D

#cynic :pac:

*Which is why we constantly reiterate every year that you are far better off asking a teacher (and preferably one who is an experienced examiner) to view your scripts with you.

Students just aren't the best judges of their own scripts. They can't be ... they don't have the relevant experience, and even the most level-headed person will have a natural bias when judging themselves.

Well the teachers here will be busy after the viewing date when students put up their papers and ask if it was corrected properly ... wait and see.

It may have been quiet in the past while but it will get busy!!

Are you setting the rates per paper randylonghorn :) ???

I can see a lot of the teachers who are regular users of the forum deciding to take a temporary leave of absence tbh! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Especially given the high numbers of inexperienced/'unqualified' teachers marking this year.

Parents/students/teachers should be keeping a close eye out for marks out of kilter with mocks and expectations.

The link is frozen... I'll have to 'let it go' for now.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Especially given the high numbers of inexperienced/'unqualified' teachers marking this year.

Parents/students/teachers should be keeping a close eye out for marks out of kilter with mocks and expectations.

Do you have published figures for that, or is it just hearsay? Surprised to see a teacher posting this without back up.

Inexperience can be a problem for some teachers, but not all. They are all trained to mark the exams in the same manner.

Students expectations are often out of kilter with the work they put in (or lack thereof).

Do you have published figures for that, or is it just hearsay? Surprised to see a teacher posting this without back up.

Inexperience can be a problem for some teachers, but not all. They are all trained to mark the exams in the same manner.

Students expectations are often out of kilter with the work they put in (or lack thereof).

I've talked to teachers of various subjects this year (I wont mention ) + when I corrected myself there were a few without teaching quals drafted in.
    Plus here
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/exams-marked-by-600-non-teachers-472252.html

Yes they are all trained to mark in the same manner.
    This does not mean that they all 'Mark' in the same manner.
    Being honest though, and you know as well as I do, the 'training' consists of a quick run-through of the paper then some test papers, if you're clued in (which you are) it's all very run of the mill. But there will be the usual newbies who say nothing to upset the time schedule, ive seen the eyes going up to heaven from the older crowd when a new teacher asks a relatively innocuous question.
    Sure it depends on the subject... some have clear cut answers, others have a multitude. (E.g. 'or any other valid answer' )Someone coming out of a degree won't have experience of these alternatives.

And yes 'some' student expectations can be out of kilter. No harm in viewing.

Advertisement