Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a stolen iPhone

Options
  • 09-07-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

2 years ago I bought an iPhone 6s plus from a non apple store ( mod: shop name and particularly the nationality of staff are not relevant)
    All was working fine up until around May of this year when I bought a new Samsung phone, decided to factory reset my iPhone to give it to my mum.
    As soon as i reset it I got a notice saying "This iPhone cannot be activated for service". Contacted Apple and they said that a batch of iPhone's was dispatched from the manufacturer but was never received in an apple store and was not cleared by apple for sale, basically saying it was stolen.
    I cannot find the receipt and at the time the shop would not accept card (should of known by this)
    I want to know whether this was an expensive lesson learned or would I have any consumer rights in this situation or even a case for the small claims court.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2 years ago I bought an iPhone 6s plus from a non apple store ( snip)
    All was working fine up until around May of this year when I bought a new Samsung phone, decided to factory reset my iPhone to give it to my mum.
    As soon as i reset it I got a notice saying "This iPhone cannot be activated for service". Contacted Apple and they said that a batch of iPhone's was dispatched from the manufacturer but was never received in an apple store and was not cleared by apple for sale, basically saying it was stolen.
    I cannot find the receipt and at the time the shop would not accept card (should of known by this)
    I want to know whether this was an expensive lesson learned or would I have any consumer rights in this situation or even a case for the small claims court.
    Thanks in advance!

You have no proof of purchase.
    Lesson learned.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Is the business still there ?
    Honestly you are plump out of luck if they are gone and especially if you have no receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

Business is still there. I know the exact date I bought it and have bank statements from the shop around the corner where i took the money out to pay for the phone, could even go as far as to get CCTV from around the area.
    Would really suck to loose nearly 800quid. A very expensive lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You've used it for two years. So you're really only losing the 2nd hand price to the full price from 2yrs ago. Semantics maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Business is still there. I know the exact date I bought it and have bank statements from the shop around the corner where i took the money out to pay for the phone, could even go as far as to get CCTV from around the area.
    Would really suck to loose nearly 800quid. A very expensive lesson learned.

Not trying to be smart but how would you propose to this? also its not proof of purchase.

Go back into the shop and tell them what happened chance your arm without the receipt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

beauf wrote: »
    You've used it for two years. So you're really only losing the 2nd hand price to the full price from 2yrs ago. Semantics maybe.

Still loosing the full price as it cannot be used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The answer hasnt changed from last time you asked this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Doop wrote: »
    Go back into the shop and tell them what happened chance your arm without the receipt
    If the shop sold a dodgy phone, they're hardly going to admit it, are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement