Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost, cardboard question

Options
  • 09-07-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi there
    New to composting
    I built a compost area with pallets
    I'm wondering what your thoughts are on inputting coloured cardboard?
    I have a few boxes that I got in Lidl today to take my shopping hime in....they are regular cardboard, but the sides are black
    Any feedback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Personally I compost any plain brown cardboard and have had no problems. I have also composted the odd big coloured Lidl box and it composted OK but can't say if it was bad for the compost or not. Only thing I can remember about the Lidl box is that I took all the staples out of it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

In theory they could introduce heavy metal based via the ink - but that really depends on the type of ink used.

I personally don't worry about it as the amounts would be very small, I regularly add cardboard and newspapers to the compost heap. Relatively it is only a small component of what goes into the heap..

If you're very worried you could contact the company, or just recycle the cardboard - http://myzerowaste.com/2009/05/compost-awareness-week-day-three-is-ink-from-printed-paper-toxic/ - otherwise just go ahead and don't worry about it, you're just splitting hairs

Advertisement