Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Sold!

just ordered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Weepsie wrote: »
    Folks who get stuff delivered from cloudpicker?

How long has it typically taken. Im a week waiting since dispatch and they use a bloody awful courier

Can't remember exactly but it was less than a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭smcclaw

megaten wrote: »
    Can't remember exactly but it was less than a week

I've ordered from them twice and gotten within 48 hours. I wonder is the variation in timing linked in part to which days they roast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Del007

I just had an Arabic coffee in a Syrian restaurant here in Cork.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

Without doubt, it was the weirdest coffee that I've ever tasted. The wife nearly threw up when she tasted it 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Del007 wrote: »

Without doubt, it was the weirdest coffee that I've ever tasted. The wife nearly threw up when she tasted it 😂

It's an acquired taste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What's so different about it?

It's strong and black with what's best described as sludge in the bottom of the cup. Often drunk very sweet. I like it.

It's strong and black with what's best described as sludge in the bottom of the cup. Often drunk very sweet. I like it.

Yeah, read up about it after I questioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stopped ordering from Bailies, as the last order I received from them had a roast date more than four weeks previous. They gave me a 20% off voucher, but that doesn't cut it for me, if you're paying for a premium freshly roasted product.

Just ordered from Coffeemojo.ie for the first time in a long while (they weren't roasting at the height of the covid-19 pandemic), and they only roast on Mondays, so doesn't always suit, but always really enjoyed the coffee I got from them. Free postage over €40, so ended up buying 1kg + 2 x 250g, for €43.50 delivered, which works out at a pretty reasonable* €7.25/250g.

(* by Irish standards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Stopped ordering from Bailies, as the last order I received from them had a roast date more than four weeks previous. They gave me a 20% off voucher, but that doesn't cut it for me, if you're paying for a premium freshly roasted product.

Just ordered from Coffeemojo.ie for the first time in a long while (they weren't roasting at the height of the covid-19 pandemic), and they only roast on Mondays, so doesn't always suit, but always really enjoyed the coffee I got from them. Free postage over €40, so ended up buying 1kg + 2 x 250g, for €43.50 delivered, which works out at a pretty reasonable* €7.25/250g.

(* by Irish standards).

Stopped with Baillies too and friends I recommended them to previously have also stopped for the same reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Del007

It genuinely smelled and tasted like there was perfume in it.
    Similar to Turkish coffee in that there's coffee/sludge at the bottom but really isn't like coffee at all.

I didn't add any sugar, perhaps that's what you're supposed to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

limnam wrote: »
    Stopped with Baillies too and friends I recommended them to previously have also stopped for the same reasons

I got 2 x 1kg recently - one was about a week old which was fine given delivery time etc. - the other was two weeks which was disappointing tbh.

Good shout on coffee mojo krusty - been years since I ordered from them so might give them a whirl :-)

It genuinely smelled and tasted like there was perfume in it.
    Similar to Turkish coffee in that there's coffee/sludge at the bottom but really isn't like coffee at all.

I didn't add any sugar, perhaps that's what you're supposed to do

There might have been cardamon in it. Another acquired taste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ingalway

I got 2 x 1kg recently - one was about a week old which was fine given delivery time etc. - the other was two weeks which was disappointing tbh.

Good shout on coffee mojo krusty - been years since I ordered from them so might give them a whirl :-)
    I ordered from Bailies on Weds, roasted Thurs, delivered on Friday. Can't ask for better than that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

smcclaw wrote: »
    I've ordered from them twice and gotten within 48 hours. I wonder is the variation in timing linked in part to which days they roast?

Nope, fastway don't know where the parcel is. Absolutely useless courier though. They're sending a new order and said I could get it posted or delivered to their cafe as a one off. I am luckily around the corner from the cafe tomorrow.

I'd bought some 3fe beans when passing them in the meantime, so was okay for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Has anyone bought anything from Ponaire? Not sure if i've seen them mentioned here, but came across their site. Would like an opinion before i pull the trigger!!

Slattsy wrote: »
    Has anyone bought anything from Ponaire? Not sure if i've seen them mentioned here, but came across their site. Would like an opinion before i pull the trigger!!

I got my laat two orders from them based on a recommendation here for their Sumatra. Very fast delivery and roasted either the day I ordered or the day before.

I got my laat two orders from them based on a recommendation here for their Sumatra. Very fast delivery and roasted either the day I ordered or the day before.

Good to know. And the coffee?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm only a few miles from Ponaire, my wife is actually there right now picking up a couple of kg bags for me as i'm on the last few beans in the house. i normally used B&D but the last couple of times gave ponaire a go (used to get theeir stuff a few years back but not used in a while). Very impressed, the sumatra as mentioned is a lovely coffee, especially if you like a stronger coffee. i've gone for a nicaraguan and a guatamelan this time to try different. overall though would recommend.

Thats all i wanted to hear. I like to try a lot of places.

• Advertisement

just received my WCC Burundi - roasted on 14th Aug

also included was a 50g sample of some Bolivian Caturra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Used Ponaire a good few times and will agree the Sumatran is excellent, in fact none of their coffees disappoint but the Sumatran stands out.

Thumbs up for the coffee.

Thumbs up for the coffee.

Lovely.

Went for the Mexican Jaguar. One name alone o had to try.
    The Sumatran as recommended.
    Yirgacheffee

Lovely.

Yirgacheffee

Enjoy! Must try the Mexican Jaguar on my next order.

Not opened those yet, still have a few grams left of my previous bag - their Guatemala La Bella which is very nice.

Went for the Colombia Totoro and the Ethiopia Yabitu Koba this time. I think they do a good selection and the prices are very reasonable, especially when they are doing a discount. I used the 15% discount so these 2 cost me around €18.50, including the postage.

ingalway wrote: »
    the Ethiopia Yabitu Koba

great choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Not opened those yet, still have a few grams left of my previous bag - their Guatemala La Bella which is very nice.

Went for the Colombia Totoro and the Ethiopia Yabitu Koba this time. I think they do a good selection and the prices are very reasonable, especially when they are doing a discount. I used the 15% discount so these 2 cost me around €18.50, including the postage.

15% discount?

just received my WCC Burundi - roasted on 14th Aug

also included was a 50g sample of some Bolivian Caturra

I still await a sample from WCC.

Let us know what you think of the Caturra when you get a chance.

• Advertisement

Let us know what you think of the Caturra when you get a chance.

I've had a few Caturras from Bailies over the years, I'm very indifferent to Latin American coffees tbh

mad m wrote: »
    15% discount?
    'justbrewit'
    Another poster shared it a few days ago. Not sure if it's still working but worth a try.
    Bailies coffee

WCC have some east / central african ones atm - the Burundi looks fab
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop?category=Coffee
    The Burundi is delicious. Currently working my way through it.

lads

just had my first press of this 15/250 just off the boil - 30ml/45sec bloom topped up then for 2 mins

delicious.

thanks for the recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

'justbrewit'
    Another poster shared it a few days ago. Not sure if it's still working but worth a try.
    Bailies coffee

Used it last week anyway, tbh I think it always works. I used it 2 weeks after the last time it was posted with no issues

lads

just had my first press of this 15/250 just off the boil - 30ml/45sec bloom topped up then for 2 mins

delicious.

I've had a few Caturras from Bailies over the years, I'm very indifferent to Latin American coffees tbh

I would be the same myself. But I will take a decent latin american recommendation from someone with a taste for that Burundian. :)

I would be the same myself. But I will take a decent latin american recommendation from someone with a taste for that Burundian. :)
    Cool, so I did an aero 15/250 again - same method as with the Burundi above.

The bag says Grapefruit. Praline and Chocolate, 1770masl

I'm definitely getting the very citrus Grapefruit flavours, blending with the dark chocolate bitterness - as it cools the nuttiness starts to be apparent.

I mean it's a good coffee, very clean and drinkable and good flavours. I just prefer a bit of spicey fruit that comes with east africans. I prefer citrus in coffee to be more toward the orangey/lemony end than how bitter this is toward grapefruit.

If you like very sharp citrus notes and bitter chocolatiness then this is for you, if you prefer something that's a bit fruitier, maybe even a bit more of a creamy chocolate thing going on then maybe not.

• Advertisement

Lovely.

Yirgacheffee

There's all landed today. God i love next day delivery.

Only tried the Sumatra. Probably need to tinker (can you say that word or will people get offended?) with it to perfect it but very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

lads

delicious.

Must be all gone , can’t see any on WCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭adam240610

Got a subscription to square mile coffee with their filter varieties, anyone have any experience or know roughly how long deliveries take? Was shipped on Wednesday and I'm running low until it arrives

Thanks!

adam240610 wrote: »
    Got a subscription to square mile coffee with their filter varieties, anyone have any experience or know roughly how long deliveries take? Was shipped on Wednesday and I'm running low until it arrives

Thanks!

Depends how it's shipped. Royal is usually 3-5 days iirc.

Signed up for the Bell lane sub around fathers day.

Have been a bit underwhelmed by the last couple of bags.

Anyone else sign up for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭adam240610

Depends how it's shipped. Royal is usually 3-5 days iirc.

I'll be hopeful for tomorrow, yeah it's royal mail, cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I signed up for the espresso blend sub, 500g every month for 6 months, is that the one you are on?

I've been happy with it, i especially like this months moondust espresso, I also liked the first one which was dawn chorus.

It's nice to have 500g of epsresso beans coming every month so I can buy some single origins elsewhere for use in pourover.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

I was considering posting the exact same. Not much better than some of the supermarket beans. Considering the price per bag I will next go for the Badger and Dodo 1kg 6 month subscription for their rotating single origin - their Ethiopian Gora Kone is delicious!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I signed up for the espresso blend sub, 500g every month for 6 months, is that the one you are on?

I've been happy with it, i especially like this months moondust espresso, I also liked the first one which was dawn chorus.

It's nice to have 500g of epsresso beans coming every month so I can buy some single origins elsewhere for use in pourover.

That's the one.

Are you having much issues getting it dialed in?

I keep having to make big adjustments as I go through and change the bag. (moving from one bag to the other of the same coffee that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

I keep having to make big adjustments as I go through and change the bag. (moving from one bag to the other of the same coffee that is)

General I find I need to adjust the dial in for bean changes, but I struggled with the first two bean types from Bell Lane while at the same time I was getting good dial in on various other beans. I think it was happening too often to attribute it to poor dial in - just an underwhelming product from Bell Lane IMO. Nonetheless I still enjoy drinking it while guffawing and tut-tutting at the maxwell housers!

Edit: just saw you mentioned 'same bag' in your post. Doesn't sound like you are perfectly satisfied with the beans.

mrm wrote: »
    General I find I need to adjust the dial in for bean changes, but I struggled with the first two bean types from Bell Lane while at the same time I was getting good dial in on various other beans. I think it was happening too often to attribute it to poor dial in - just an underwhelming product from Bell Lane IMO. Nonetheless I still enjoy drinking it while guffawing and tut-tutting at the maxwell housers!

Edit: just saw you mentioned 'same bag' in your post. Doesn't sound like you are perfectly satisfied with the beans.

Interesting. Yes other beans are ok (dial in wise). I think I'll probably give this crowd a miss in future. Pitty I've had bags from them in the past that were very good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's the one.

I haven't had huge problems dialling this one in, but last month I probably struggled with it a bit.

I guess I don't pull enough shots so I end up needing to make a fair bit of adjustments but usually fairly minor adjustments.

By the way I really like the Jam Jar espresso from B&D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Joined imbibes coffee club and just opened one of them, the Colombian El Placer - pink bourbon varietal processed via carbonic maceration. Two bags of coffee for 34 euro is honestly super reasonable.

I'd recommend for anyone to join it if they want something different. Really happy with what they've sent out so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The imbibe coffee club is great too because there's no pressure to buy, but the stuff is just gorgeous so... well, it's difficult to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

10% off teh Burundi at WCC (today only I think)
    westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/burundi

Ten % code: BURUNDI

• Advertisement
Advertisement