Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darrener

10% off teh Burundi at WCC (today only I think)
    westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/burundi

Ten % code: BURUNDI
    Thank you caviardreams...just ordered a kilo of that bad boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Bought the Ponaire Sumatra coffee last week based on posts on here. Am loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Synode wrote: »
    Bought the Ponaire Sumatra coffee last week based on posts on here. Am loving it

Likewise!

I have a cupboard full of coffee but think it would be rude not to pick up some of the WCC Burundi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lovely.

Went for the Mexican Jaguar. One name alone o had to try.
    The Sumatran as recommended.
    Yirgacheffee

Ponaire Coffee. My new go to. Will probably get a sub.

All three of these stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Haven't tried Ponaire in a few years now - might have to give them a shot again with the love-in on this forum :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

10% off teh Burundi at WCC (today only I think)
    westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/burundi

Ten % code: BURUNDI

Fantastic. I'm due to put an order in this week after starting into the Colombian (which is also gorgeous) but I guess I'll just bite the bullet here.

The Burundi really was a special brew.

What's the Sumatran like?

I've definitely come around to that part of the world being my favourite spot for coffee. If only WCC would stock stuff from there more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What's the Sumatran like?

I've definitely come around to that part of the world being my favourite spot for coffee. If only WCC would stock stuff from there more.

Found the Mexican Jaguar the best of the lot.

I ended up getting distracted and ordered some more Burundian and the Adado from Ethiopia.

I'll give Ponaire a go when they're nearly finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Ordered from bailies last week, received today. The nota was roasted on the 07/08 with a best within 3 weeks. I was going to email to query the delay.

Anyone experienced this issue in the past with bailies

stuchyg wrote: »
    Ordered from bailies last week, received today. The nota was roasted on the 07/08 with a best within 3 weeks. I was going to email to query the delay.

I had an order from Baillies delivered 01/08, the roast date for Nota was 27/07.
    No harm in querying it with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

stuchyg wrote: »

Yeah. Bought a Kg bag from them, with a four week old roast date. Gave them an opportunity to rectify the situation (customer for 10 years). They offered me a time-limited 20% discount on my next order. Haven't been back. Have ordered from Cloud picker, B&D and Coffee Mojo since. All roasted within a couple of days of ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

do Ponaire show roast dates?

Yeah. Bought a Kg bag from them, with a four week old roast date. Gave them an opportunity to rectify the situation (customer for 10 years). They offered me a time-limited 20% discount on my next order. Haven't been back. Have ordered from Cloud picker, B&D and Coffee Mojo since. All roasted within a couple of days of ordering.

I sent them an email and il see if they come back to me. Might try someone else for my next order either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

do Ponaire show roast dates?

They state the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

My Ponaire Sumatran were roasted Aug 20 and are best before Mar 21 (though it actually says Mar20)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

WCC- Ordered Sunday, Roasted Yesterday-Delivered today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just got two bags delivered there from Bailies, Pendo and Nota.

One has a roast date of 19/08, the other 07/08. Not impressed with that at all, last few times I've ordered roast date has usually been within a week or so, but almost a full month is pretty poor. Even two weeks is sort of pushing it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just got two bags delivered there from Bailies, Pendo and Nota.

One has a roast date of 19/08, the other 07/08. Not impressed with that at all, last few times I've ordered roast date has usually been within a week or so, but almost a full month is pretty poor. Even two weeks is sort of pushing it to be honest.

That's taking the p1ss tbh. I don't see how they can stand over it. Have you contacted them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

That's taking the p1ss tbh. I don't see how they can stand over it. Have you contacted them?

I believe it is their business model , they probably replace it for you if you contact them, otherwise if customer doesn't care, they will try to sell old beans .
    It is nothing knew, they were always the same ( very apologetic if you contact them btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ordered 1kg of the Ponaire European blend yesterday. It’s arriving today by Dpd seemingly.

At €5.50 per 250g it’s very cheap and my expectations are low.

If it’s even somewhat good it’ll be incredible value for money. Will see later I suppose.

Yeah I've sent them a mail, they've always been fairly sound as Alec says, just never had an issue with the dates before personally until now. Will probably give them a miss from now on if that's the case.

My WCC order has arrived in Dublin. I'm in Sligo. This is annoying. Tbf to DPD GLS they'll just call tomorrow and it'll land.

---
    Edit: brainfart, I meant GLS.

I've a Bailies monthly arriving tomorrow, will be very interested to see the Roast Date

does some Irish coffee company do a rolling sub?

one where you aren't locked in for a year or 6 months?

does some Irish coffee company do a rolling sub?

one where you aren't locked in for a year or 6 months?

3fe do with the lucky drip, but it's 12 quid a bag

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yes, you can pay monthly on mist roasters, 3FE and Bell Lane for sure.

Yeah I've sent them a mail, they've always been fairly sound as Alec says, just never had an issue with the dates before personally until now. Will probably give them a miss from now on if that's the case.

In fairness to Bailies they responded to my email and said they're resending the entire order so can't really complain!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In fairness to Bailies they responded to my email and said they're resending the entire order so can't really complain!

Well it would be better to send you fresh coffee first time, it's not like this was a mistake or an oversight they are trying to offload old coffee for top prices and hoping people won't notice.

If they want to sell off old stock they should mark it down on their website and I'm sure people would buy it at a discount. This just comes across as very poor in my book.

Also another user posted that they were only offered 20% time limited discount on future orders recently when the same happened. It's just not good enough and there are enough options around that you don't need to put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My WCC order has arrived in Dublin. I'm in Sligo. This is annoying. Tbf to DPD they'll just call tomorrow and it'll land.

That's weird, my order placed Saturday is supposedly on it's way via GLS, who are so useless I would be very surprised if it arrives today.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's weird, my order placed Saturday is supposedly on it's way via GLS, who are so useless I would be very surprised if it arrives today.

Same for me..Ordered Saturday and with GLS since yesterday

So another vote for ponaire here. Ordered yesterday, delivered today. Their European blend. So the cheapest thing they sell and it makes a perfectly good espresso. Not going to blow your socks off with flavour but it’s not bad at all particularly for the cheap price.

Doesn’t give an exact roast date, just August 2020, which is a bit annoying but based on the extraction I’d say it was in the last week or two. I’d say it’s actually too fresh for a perfect shot right now tbh.

Looking forward to trying their single origin stuff in the coming months.

Darrener wrote: »

I meant GLS actually. Apologies.

I've gotten deliveries from WCC to Islandbridge in Dublin and to Streedagh in rural Sligo and I've had no issues. Both have landed usually on the Wednesday.

I've always seemed to manage to get a Monday roasting and a Tuesday dispatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Darrener wrote: »

Of course my cunning plan worked, and the delivery was made about 30 min ago. :)

Of course my cunning plan worked, and the delivery was made about 30 min ago. :)

Enjoy !!! No delivery for me yet

Bailies got back to me today to apologise, sending me on another bag of nota. A lot of their stuff tends to be 10 days or so old though I find although its gone within a week in our house so not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ordered 1kg of the Ponaire European blend yesterday. It’s arriving today by Dpd seemingly.

At €5.50 per 250g it’s very cheap and my expectations are low.

If it’s even somewhat good it’ll be incredible value for money. Will see later I suppose.

My goto bean for years ... try other roasts from other suppliers every now and again but always go back.

The price (and free delivery to boot is a bonus)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

keith_d99 wrote: »
    My goto bean for years ... try other roasts from other suppliers every now and again but always go back.

Came on to ask if anybody else was using Ponaire beans as I ordered a couple of the bags of beans to try after the local coffee place started using it.

Got the European blend and the jawa blawan to try in the bean to cup I have. Anyone any grind setting recommendations for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

3fe do with the lucky drip, but it's 12 quid a bag

I think the shipping is built into it though

• Advertisement

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Came on to ask if anybody else was using Ponaire beans as I ordered a couple of the bags of beans to try after the local coffee place started using it.

Got the European blend and the jawa blawan to try in the bean to cup I have. Anyone any grind setting recommendations for these.

Grind setting for what machine? And for what brew method?

I’ve only used it for espresso so far and it’s on a grind setting of 4 on my Gaggia MDF.

An 18g dose giving me just over double in volume then in terms of extraction.

Will try it as aeropress later.

Very impressed though with it as an espresso. Serious value for money imo. That’s the European blend btw.

keith_d99 wrote: »

Have you tried any of the single origin stuff? Anything you’d recommend?

My WCC order has arrived in Dublin. I'm in Sligo. This is annoying. Tbf to DPD GLS they'll just call tomorrow and it'll land.

---
    Edit: brainfart, I meant GLS.

Arrived at 9:55.

Woohoo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

glad you liked it (esp as i recommended it). they are doing some lovely coffee at the moment

I'm using the the ponaire European blend this morning in my delonghi 4200 from the bargain thread. Fairly basic machine but have it on very fine on my grinder at about 2/10 1 being the finest and the crema and taste out of 60 ml double I pull out of the max amount of beans(I should try weighing this and come back) Is the best I've done so far with this machine.
    I've tried a fair few brands also (but am a complete novice) .

what's the roast like on that Ponaire? Dark, medium? also, what does the coffee taste like, everyone says it's nice, but that isn't much info really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

This morning I'm trying ponaire connoisseur blend on my sage barista express. Grind setting 3/18. 18g in 32g out. Very impressed so far. The aftertaste has lingered all morning.

I also picked up a bag of european blend. Roast date Aug 28th. I'll wait a couple of days before trying.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Bailies sub arrived

Roasted on 28/8

so should be about ready to drink

what's the roast like on that Ponaire? Dark, medium? also, what does the coffee taste like, everyone says it's nice, but that isn't much info really?

The European blend would be on the darker side of medium.

Perfect for a milk based drink.

It’s a low acidity, full bodied day to day drinking espresso.

Nothing unusual / interesting about it imo but that’s not a bad thing. It knows what it’s trying to be and does a good job of it.

If you’re looking for a really complex filter style bean this is not it.

I haven’t made one yet but I’m sure it’d make a perfectly acceptable cup of filter but it ain’t going to give you the type of cup let’s say that a single origin would.

yeah sound, I don't usually make espresso.

thanks for that

The European blend would be on the darker side of medium.

Perfect for a milk based drink.

It’s a low acidity, full bodied day to day drinking espresso.

Nothing unusual / interesting about it imo but that’s not a bad thing. It knows what it’s trying to be and does a good job of it.

If you’re looking for a really complex filter style bean this is not it.

I haven’t made one yet but I’m sure it’d make a perfectly acceptable cup of filter but it ain’t going to give you the type of cup let’s say that a single origin would.
    Agree with the above completely I really mellow smooth cup of coffee I get a hint of chocolate off. I pull the double sized shot and add a little hot water and find it really smooth and subtle to drink away a cup or two a day while working on the laptop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement