Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think you'll have to chief. It's lovely stuff.

Cheers for the Indian recommendation.

Indian is lovely. Need to perfect the water ratio though.
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Latest Ponaire order gone in. I went for:

Connoisseur blend (500g) on foot of some good reviews
    Brazil Bob o link (250g) because its new
    Peruvian (250g) looks like i'll like the profile

I find 1kg lasts me approx a month. I just checked and my last order was on the 7th September.

Mine was just done on the 22nd. So I should make it through the month. Must properly pay attention to that.
    I ordered those two yesterday and added the Mexican Jaguar as I haven't tried it before. I normally get the Sumatra which is excellent.

Glad to hear that about the Sumatra. It smells divine from the bag itself. Like, I can't remember who said it above that likes Indian coffee, I feel the same way about Indonesian stuff.
    Darrener wrote: »
    The Halo Bereti is extremely good. Early days yet but so far I prefer it to the Burundi..I think it could be my new go to coffee ☕

Big big words. :P

What is it you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

General question when buying whole beans ....

how do you identify a whole bean (from Ponaire for example) that would suit how it's going to be brewed (Espresso machine Vs Aeropress)?

Aren't beans roasted for Espresso generally a dark roast?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I ordered those two yesterday and added the Mexican Jaguar as I haven't tried it before. I normally get the Sumatra which is excellent.

Its a beauty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

keith_d99 wrote: »

how do you identify a whole bean (from Ponaire for example) that would suit how it's going to be brewed (Espresso machine Vs Aeropress)?

generally the roaster website will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Works ... just wondering if you have to pay for the whole sub up front (to get the full discount) .... or will they apply it for each shipment?

Got confirmation over email that it will apply for each shipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Latest Ponaire order gone in. I went for:

Connoisseur blend (500g) on foot of some good reviews
    Brazil Bob o link (250g) because its new
    Peruvian (250g) looks like i'll like the profile

I find 1kg lasts me approx a month. I just checked and my last order was on the 7th September.

I get the Bob-o-link from PS from time to time, I mainly use it to make cold brew, plenty of cocoa notes, and whole milk seems to bring out some biscuit too. Enjoy!

latest B&D Order arrived, Ugandan Chigalagala and the Fairy Floss Ethopian Blend. Going to try the blend first.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I get the Bob-o-link from PS from time to time, I mainly use it to make cold brew, plenty of cocoa notes, and whole milk seems to bring out some biscuit too. Enjoy!

Interesting, i tend to only drink espresso or americano, but i do like biscuits so will try some milk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Try cream instead of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Got Brazilian beans from McCabes coffee in Wicklow. Absolutely delicious. Dark roast and quite strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Its a beauty :)

Mexican on the way to me!!

Probably need to set up a separate Ponaire thread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

generally the roaster website will let you know

As Hodors has said, normally the website will let you know. Ponaire didnt really say, but I popped them a message on FB and they came back to me fairly quick with some recommendations for milk based espresso drinks.

"The best two coffees we roast for espresso or milk based drinks are our European Blend or our Peru Certified Organic. Our Single Origin Colombian also make a great espresso. Many thanks for the enquiry"

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Hi all. Recently bought a Rancilio Silvia so looking for some recommendations for good espresso coffee. Up to now I've bought a selection of 3 or 4 different beans but that's no longer practical as I'm dialing in each time!

So far I've come across SAM from Cloud Picker which seems to be well thought of. I've had a good hit rate with Pónaire so will def give their Colombian a soon too from the poster above...

Am i right in thinking that the a fruity, light roast will be lost on espresso?

barrac wrote: »

Am i right in thinking that the a fruity, light roast will be lost on espresso?

yeah, those are better suited to the likes of an aero or v60 type of brewing.

Do we dare suggest the Connoisseur blend, or will Slattsy come for me?

I can't recommend Ponaire because I've not had one.

I'm on a B&D Buzz at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

yeah, those are better suited to the likes of an aero or v60 type of brewing.

I disagree , you probably have to ramp up water temperature ( if it is PID machine),otherwise you’ll get more or less same taste, only definitely more concentrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mrm

I can't recommend Ponaire because I've not had one.

I'm on a B&D Buzz at the moment.

Hi H A, are you ordering month to month from B&D or are you on their subscription? If on the subscription what has the standard been like? Many Ethiopian beans?

Do we dare suggest the Connoisseur blend, or will Slattsy come for me?

It's very nice. Order landed today. Only had an espresso today. Will see what it's like as an Americano in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

It's very nice. Order landed today. Only had an espresso today. Will see what it's like as an Americano in the morning.

Do let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Imbibe's coffee club is coming up again next week but I've deleted the email accidentally, code won't come out until the morning of anyway.

Must get some Ponaire, but my freezer is hopping with beans, I'm not drinking as much as I had been.

barrac wrote: »
    Do let us know!

If ya haven't bought into the Ponaire Connoisseur love in on here by now you never will! :P

mrm wrote: »
    Hi H A, are you ordering month to month from B&D or are you on their subscription? If on the subscription what has the standard been like? Many Ethiopian beans?

ordering when I need coffee at the moment

I'm going to give up subs I think, and just order coffee from a variety of roasters from now on

B&D will always have at least one Ethiopian available as one of their core blends is 2 ethopians (and is very nice), so I can't see a scenario where I don't have one of their coffees in my coffee drawer at a time

a selling point for me now to get on a sub is a prize or gift (i got a keepcup off Bailies last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ponaire had free shipping once you ordered over 500g ... has that now changed to over €50?

https://www.ponaire.ie/ponaire-delivery-returns/

Been using the site for years ... this has changed in the last couple of weeks? Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Ponaire had free shipping once you ordered over 500g ... has that now changed to over €50?

https://www.ponaire.ie/ponaire-delivery-returns/

Been using the site for years ... this has changed in the last couple of weeks? Disappointing

It was same when I was ordering, however once I got to checkout shipping was free. Try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Definitely charging €5 at the moment , after trying ordering 1kg beans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

alec76 wrote: »

Yeah. Paid for shipping during the week. To be fair, I don't mind paying for shipping when it arrives so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

alec76 wrote: »

Yeah, see it now. Bummer, must of been a glitch.

• Advertisement

It happened me the other week and it seemed to be over 30 and it was free. And I was only ordering 25 worth.

Threw in some of their teabags for a 5er and worked it that way.

Advertisement