Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Mexican is out of stock? Ffs.

Tonight is order night. Just into the last bag of the last order now. The Sumatran.

I fired off an email to see if any new stock on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mad m wrote: »

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I'm just getting into using fresh coffee now.
    Coming to the end of my 1st 250g bag.

Ready to get a 1kg bag.
    How long is the 1kg being kept fresh?
    1-2 months or 3-4 weeks.

Unsure of buying one bag per month or getting a subscription atm.
    A grinder is on my list, but not yet, until I get used to filter/pourover coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

The Haven wrote: »

Ready to get a 1kg bag.
    1-2 months or 3-4 weeks.

A grinder is on my list, but not yet, until I get used to filter/pourover coffee.

Oxygen would be the worst enemy for the fresh beans , if you buy 1kg bag , make sure you divided into smaller batches ( 100-200 g), possibly vacuum seal them. Try to expose it to air as little as possible.
    I am using one of those Airscape canisters, find them outstanding.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014QLPEMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I am dividing 1kg bags into 120g vacuum sealed sachets ( I think you could get vacuum sealer for €25 in LIDL )
    150-200 g goes directly into the canister and the rest is sealed and kept inside the freezer .

alec76 wrote: »
    Oxygen would be the worst enemy for the fresh beans , if you buy 1kg bag , make sure you divided into smaller batches ( 100-200 g), possibly vacuum seal them. Try to expose it to air as little as possible.
    I am using one of those Airspace canisters, find them outstanding.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014QLPEMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I am dividing 1kg bags into 120g vacuum sealed sachets ( I think you could get vacuum sealer for €25 in LIDL )
    150-200 g goes directly into the canister and the rest is sealed and kept inside the freezer .

Cheers mate, something to look into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I would say he is trying to say , that best , world class roasters & coffee baristas based in Africa and South America?
    Are they in Top10 even?

The nicest coffee I got was 20 years ago in a roadside restaurant in Mozambique.

When we had had our second cup we asked what it was. Chicory. :) We were flummoxed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

The nicest coffee I got was 20 years ago in a roadside restaurant in Mozambique.
    I know , grass was greener and Sun was brighter 20 years ago too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Haven wrote: »

Ready to get a 1kg bag.
    1-2 months or 3-4 weeks.

I usually get 2+ kilo at a time and keep it in the freezer. The bags I get have a zip-loc seal and I just press the air out on the counter, seal and put back in the freezer.

Nice tips cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My trusty Hario Skerton has come to end of life, unless I can hack a new handle for it (it's rounded off, so doesn't grip). Any recommendations for a replacement? Have a mini mill so I'm not completely bunched at present

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    My trusty Hario Skerton has come to end of life, unless I can hack a new handle for it (it's rounded off, so doesn't grip). Any recommendations for a replacement? Have a mini mill so I'm not completely bunched at present

https://ige.ie/locking-plier-10/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_eGan_LS7AIVh63tCh1HJQbvEAQYBCABEgKbJ_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I know , grass was greener and Sun was brighter 20 years ago too :)

Don't be silly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

ordered more B&D today

new Ethopian and more of the Blackwater Blend

they will be my 5th and 6th bags in about 6 weeks I think, I'm very impressed with them

Just in from Ponaire

“ Yes! Just ordered more beans today. We should have them roasted and back up on the website next week. Also Mexican Lion Boy coming back and our new Christmas Coffee from Guatemala - keeping busy “

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just in from Ponaire

“ Yes! Just ordered more beans today. We should have them roasted and back up on the website next week. Also Mexican Lion Boy coming back and our new Christmas Coffee from Guatemala - keeping busy “

Christmas coffee? I'll take 10kg please.

I am seriously going to have to pop into Ponaire and casually ask if they have noticed a spike in online sales in the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am seriously going to have to pop into Ponaire and casually ask if they have noticed a spike in online sales in the last couple of months.

I'm sure they have. Unlike others that have though they've maintained their excellent quality and quick delivery.

cnocbui wrote: »

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner Tommy a few years back when they opened a small shop beside Hard Rock Cafe in temple bar, his barista let him down that morning and he had to hightail it up to the big smoke to man the shop. Really lovely bloke to chat to.

I sent them a link A while back to our chats on boards to let them know we are enjoying their coffee.

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner Tommy a few years back when they opened a small shop beside Hard Rock Cafe in temple bar, his barista let him down that morning and he had to hightail it up to the big smoke to man the shop. Really lovely bloke to chat to.

I sent them a link A while back to our chats on boards to let them know we are enjoying their coffee.

I am only sure of meeting his wife a few times at their shop in Annacotty, Limerick. That was when they gave me a free espresso of the Sumatran to try, while I was buying a couple kilos. That lead to me recommending the Sumatran some pages back, which then lead to the recent popularity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've still not tried ponaire, on the list for after the dreambeans stuff is gone (which working from home is taking care of)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Got a kilo of the Ponaire Connoisseur and a small bag of Sumatran in Newport on Thursday. Tommy was the person who moved me over to coffee years ago when they had the cafe in the milk market. Gave me a free latte along with my tea and the rest is many many kilos later 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just in from Ponaire

Phew. That's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

I got an espresso machine two weeks ago and I've been working my way through the coffee I got with the order from Velo. It's been hit and miss as I learn how to actually make a decent brew but I'm getting there slowly. Anyway, I'm looking for advice for the brands/varieties that I *must* try. I see Ponaire getting much love but all tips are welcome. Thanks

Impressed with my latest order from WCC.
    Ordered Monday, roasted and dispatched Tuesday, arrived Wednesday (today).
    Super fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I try to support my favourite businesses during lockdown.

I no longer work in town so can't get my daily coffee angel americano (+ cinnabun!)
    During the first lockdown I bought a bag of coffee and a V60 from coffee angel.

This week I ordered a kilo of Forsa Gala and it came with a had written note thanking me for supporting them again. Nice touch.

It was also hand delivered by their own delivery guy. He text me yesterday to apologise that he couldn't get to me but that he'd deliver the following day.

A positive experience all around. Just wish they could somehow deliver those cinnabuns!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I try to support my favourite businesses during lockdown.

I no longer work in town so can't get my daily coffee angel americano (+ cinnabun!)
    During the first lockdown I bought a bag of coffee and a V60 from coffee angel.

This week I ordered a kilo of Forsa Gala and it came with a had written note thanking me for supporting them again. Nice touch.

It was also hand delivered by their own delivery guy. He text me yesterday to apologise that he couldn't get to me but that he'd deliver the following day.

A positive experience all around. Just wish they could somehow deliver those cinnabuns!

They're great. I've bought a good few times from them over the last while and the coffee is always delivered next day with a smile (and the handwritten note!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

B&D Order slow enough

Ordered on Monday and still not received

What’s Forsa Gala like?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Does anybody by any chance have the link posted here during the summer that listed all of the roasters in Ireland and their current special offers and codes etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What’s Forsa Gala like?

It's decent, it's a nice every day blend, pretty chocolatey with a slightly fruity note. Usually my go-to when I'm running low as it's usually delivered next day.

Advertisement