Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

This is probably a very basic question...but for making Cappucinos, am I right in thinking that my only option is to order an Espresso blend? Most of the suppliers just offer one espresso blend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lots of roasters will say what beans are suitable for milk based drnks (Cappucino/Latte etc). Most will be only happy to recommend different beans to you based on what type of coffee your drinking too and even what equipment you're using.

Guys in Reference Coffee/Meet me in the morning always made solid recommendatios to me based on how I said i'd be brewing (Moka, Aeropress, Espresso) gave me some beans that suit one, and sometimes beans that suit all 3.

Baillies have 3-4 espresso blends, Pendo, Nota, Umbra and Mella. I've had the first 3. Can't remember which one I really liked though. If in doubt, I'd say Coffee Angels house blend is excellent for espressos & cappucinos and it's roasted by bailies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Many thanks Weepsie :-)
    I've ordered the espresso Espresso blend beans from Mccabes (nice) and B&D (earthy).
    I'll try CA next.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm an uncouth barbarian, I just buy beans without paying any attention to recommended brewing method and make espressos out of them. A cappucino to me is just an espresso with frothy milk added, so I would end up making one from any bean I liked the taste of as an espresso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm an uncouth barbarian, I just buy beans without paying any attention to recommended brewing method and make espressos out of them. A cappucino to me is just an espresso with frothy milk added, so I would end up making one from any bean I liked the taste of as an espresso.

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Starting on my 3fe Momentum order. So far not as nice as Ponaire, but could be down to grind settings. 3fe seems to need a coarser setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dubstepper wrote: »
    Starting on my 3fe Momentum order. So far not as nice as Ponaire, but could be down to grind settings. 3fe seems to need a coarser setting.

I found the 3fe momentum needed coarser setting than most of my regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Bailies sent a Rwandan this month.

Looking forward to opening this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

fullstop wrote: »
    I found the 3fe momentum needed coarser setting than most of my regulars.

and i find that the ponaire needs much finer than the B&D i was using before, and now gone back to for an order to mix things up, so what you are seeing seems right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ordered Coffee Angel at 6pm yesterday, was delivered at about 10am this morning. Cant argue with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Danger781 wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on Green Bean. 4 for 3 is hard to ignore. Ordered:
    * Jaggy Loko
    * Tiger Paw
    * Sweet Sorrento
    * Decaf Dream

2kg for almost the same price as 1kg of WCC..

@danger781 how did you get on with the dream beans order?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Waesfjord wrote: »
    @danger781 how did you get on with the dream beans order?

I ordered nearly the exact same as danger except got High Segovia instead of Sweet Sorrento.

Jaggy Loko is the only one I think I'd get again. Though I do like the decaf. They are beans that definitely suit milk based drinks most I think. Going to try Tiger Paw in the french press though tomorrow to see how I like it. Havn't had much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Hi folks

Looking for some advice pls

During lockdown purchased a Sage BES and self taught watching YouTube etc. Exclusively drink americanos

Initially I was using Roasted Brown “ Serra Do Cigano” (my regular coffee shop uses these)but I’ve switched to 3fe Malarkey in recent months

I use 1.5-2Kg a month. The 3fe beans are pricey at €40 but very convenient getting quick delivery and fresh beans

Was wondering if I’m paying far in excess of the odds ? Are there other “premium” roasteries out there charging lower prices ? (Don’t want crap 3 weeks old beans)

Not overly sure as to my preference but think it’s a nutty bean with sweet notes but open to other suggestions

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Ive been using Mahers in Cork, they are good prices, and always fresh-hard to beat, I've also used Rave coffee in the UK, they always have a 15% discount somewhere, I generally only order 1kg at a time from any of them, so it's fresh-they roast very often and Ive never had beans that were roasted more than a week prior, Ive used Killarney roasters this time, they are cheaper, and only a few varieties, they are good though, but I have to tell them I want it fresh- re Rave, I get the free shipping within the UK and use addresspal or parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Ive been using Mahers in Cork, they are good prices, and always fresh-hard to beat, I've also used Rave coffee in the UK, they always have a 15% discount somewhere, I generally only order 1kg at a time from any of them, so it's fresh-they roast very often and Ive never had beans that were roasted more than a week prior, Ive used Killarney roasters this time, they are cheaper, and only a few varieties, they are good though, but I have to tell them I want it fresh- re Rave, I get the free shipping within the UK and use addresspal or parcel motel.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I’ve seen a Rave mentioned online , I took a look at their website and it’s impressive - huge choice. I think the potential sting in the tail though is that they offer free UK p&p (so PM on top) on orders over 25 stg, which you’re unlikely to hit with then on a 1kg order. I’d rather not buy 2kg at a time (freshness) so that would mean getting hit for the Uk postage fee plus PM twice a month (4-5weeks) which kind of negates any potential saving i reckon

lowbatt07 wrote: »

I’ve seen a Rave mentioned online , I took a look at their website and it’s impressive - huge choice. I think the potential sting in the tail though is that they offer free UK p&p (so PM on top) on orders over 25 stg, which you’re unlikely to hit with then on a 1kg order. I’d rather not buy 2kg at a time (freshness) so that would mean getting hit for the Uk postage fee plus PM twice a month (4-5weeks) which kind of negates any potential saving i reckon

I buy enough for the free postage, honestly, their coffee is probably the best Ive had, regardless of price-so I may add on 250g to my 1kg , I see ponaire mentioned here by people, I didnt like their coffee at all , but I've only ordered twice, Bell lane has been hit or miss with the freshness, and given that I only buy once a month, it is a long month if the coffee is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Talguetler wrote: »
    West Cork Coffee's decaf is a big hit in this house and fairly good value.

Just to say that today I picked up some freshly roasted 3fe decaf beans earlier in the week and we are both very impressed. I prefer it over the WCC but perhaps freshness comes into play? We are relative beginners in this space though.

At the moment we use less than 1kg of beans per month (50:50 caf/decaf) so I've been sampling around beans etc but I am drawn to the value of buying 1kg bags. To echo the above posters I'm a bit wary of how "fresh" beans are and the impact it has on the end result. I have a beyond basic set up (v60 preferred over the aeropress) so I like to keep the variables as similar as possible to prevent being stuck for a month with sad-to-me coffee.

Freeze them and then there are no freshness worries.

Freeze them and then there are no freshness worries.

Are you off your game????? :eek:

You can freeze vacuum packed beans/grinds, but definitely not fresh beans.

Well I am freezing coffee beans with no detrimental issues I have noticed. Someone has done some research on the topic.

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-coffee-beans-aroma.html

If you have any links to research done that shows freezing coffee beans is detrimental, I would welcome you posting the link/s

Here is a photo of beans I have frozen that shows that the beans haven't cracked from expanding trapped water, as claimed. Which doesn't surprise me as the beans are roasted and dry as a desert so don't contain any trapped water in the first place.

Indian-Pearl-beans.jpg
    There are hundreds of theories about storing roasted coffee but very little valid research. Every coffee pundit is convinced that her particular method of storing coffee is correct and that everyone else’s method is wrong. The belief in freezing or not freezing roasted coffee beans goes beyond vigorous discussion. The discussion approaches the level of religious wars. Coffee “experts” are either for or against freezing. You are either a “freezer” or an “anti-freezer.”

There is no middle ground. Whichever side you choose you will be shunned and punished by the opponents. As an example, a small coffee shop owner in Baltimore froze some coffee beans it had purchased from a large roaster. He says the roaster told him that they were angry because he froze “their” beans and that they wouldn’t sell “their” coffee beans to him anymore. http://goo.gl/q1dzBH

The reasons given for not freezing coffee are varied:

beans will crack from freezing.
    beans will attract odors from the freezer
    beans will attract water from the freezer
    beans will attract water when taken out of the freezer
    bean shelf life is not extended by freezing
    beans that have been frozen degrade very quickly after thawing
    freezing breaks down the flavor oils in the bean

However, there is no research, of any kind, which supports any of these reasons.
    https://www.huladaddy.com/articles/freeze-your-beans.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Same, I usually buy 2kg at a go (one months worth) and freeze, taking 500gm approx out per week. No issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

I freeze half of mine as well, you need to put them in something airtight, when taking them out of the freezer let them come up to room temperature without opening the container so that no condensation occurs.

I normally put the beans to be frozen into a spare resealable coffee bag and then into glass tupperware

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Vacuum sealers are pretty cheap on Amazon, can usually get one for around 20 quid and it comes with a roll of bags.

Been doing it for a while now and buying a kilo or two and breaking it down into 250g bags. Haven't noticed any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the mexican is back in stock with ponaire , hearing its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

peteeeed wrote: »
    the mexican is back in stock with ponaire , hearing its excellent

If it's the Jaguar one it's good alright, works great in a moka pot if you have one (tip - use an aeropress filter if you have them, fits perfectly in a 3 cup moka).

adam240610 wrote: »
    I freeze half of mine as well, you need to put them in something airtight, when taking them out of the freezer let them come up to room temperature without opening the container so that no condensation occurs.

I normally put the beans to be frozen into a spare resealable coffee bag and then into glass tupperware

The bags my coffee comes in have a ziploc seal. I just stick the bag in the freezer when it arrives. After that, I just take it out of the freezer, pour some beans into the hopper of the grinder, press the air out of the bag, zip it and put it back in the freezer.

In my experience, things put in a freezer tend to desicate and lose moisture, they never gain it. There would be a tiny amount of air left in a bag after I have flattened the free space on the bench. Any moisture in that air might condense on the surface of the beans but it wouldn't be absorbed. It's just a non-issue, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

lowbatt07 wrote: »

I’ve seen a Rave mentioned online , I took a look at their website and it’s impressive - huge choice. I think the potential sting in the tail though is that they offer free UK p&p (so PM on top) on orders over 25 stg, which you’re unlikely to hit with then on a 1kg order. I’d rather not buy 2kg at a time (freshness) so that would mean getting hit for the UK postage fee plus PM twice a month (4-5weeks) which kind of negates any potential saving i reckon

I've bought from rave a few times and always excellent (now I prefer to go with Irish roasters). I just remembered they had this Colombia Suarez Project single origin for a while that was unreal! Would definitely go back to them - their prices are good even with parcel motel etc. on top e.g
    https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/rwanda-baho-disaster-relie?variant=35665995858088
    https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/brazil-zona-de-varginha?variant=32248943149193

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Would definitely go back to them - their prices are good even with parcel motel

Parcel motel for coffee beans could get you on a surveillance list :D

Parcel motel for coffee beans could get you on a surveillance list :D

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What?

Coffee is routinely used to disguise drug shipments. He was joking btw.

Advertisement