Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Hasmunch wrote: »
    How is the Christmas blend? Looking at putting an order in soon.

Planning on opening it in the morning, will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My order is going in now. Just getting down the to the end of the Sumatran, and to be honest it's started to give its best cups to me this week!

I was distracted by class today and forgot the moka pot on the stove and it boiled over a bit, and it was the best cups I've had from that batch. So that's me told now and I shall be opening the packs a week in advance of them going into the canister.

---

Thinking of ordering:

Connoisseur Blend 500g

Mexican Jaguar 250g

European Blend 250g

Sumatran European Blend 250g

I'll await for your report back on the Lion Boy.

None of this happened in the end.

Ended up taking advantage of the Mahers offer to give them a bash.

Got the European Blend, Dark Organic Colombian and the Vanilla flavour espresso for herself. Criminal.

Had the European Blend this morning and it was lovely. Very like the Ponaire Connoisseur Blend which is no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We tried the imbibe decade coffee last night. It was absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Mahers order arrived yesterday with a roast date of 09/11/20. Very impressed. The Italian Blend is an excellent all rounder.

breeno wrote: »
    Mahers order arrived yesterday with a roast date of 09/11/20. Very impressed. The Italian Blend is an excellent all rounder.

Perfect for the first one in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Bailies have a honey processed Colombian Gesha for pre order at 20 notes for fellow filter coffee drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ponaire have 25% off the Sumatran and Burundi Single Origin coffees.

Ponaire have 25% off the Sumatran and Burundi Single Origin coffees.

The Sumatran is lovely.

Only ever had WCC's Burundi which was gorgeous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Does anyone know if the 3fe ambulance ( :D ) outside the Bernard Shaw sells bags of beans? I was fresh out this morning and I didn't think of there until I was on my way home from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Talguetler wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 3fe ambulance ( :D ) outside the Bernard Shaw sells bags of beans? I was fresh out this morning and I didn't think of there until I was on my way home from town.

It does yeah, I got some there before and it had a roast date of approx 4 days beforehand if I remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Never truly understood the affection for 3fe coffee. Always found it a bit meh, and I've given them every chance.

I do often wonder though, if they weren't paying the influencers so much to push it, would it be so popular..

Slattsy wrote: »
    Never truly understood the affection for 3fe coffee. Always found it a bit meh, and I've given them every chance.

I do often wonder though, if they weren't paying the influencers so much to push it, would it be so popular..

They were the first roaster I ever knew about and did like it. But when the likes of Badger & Dodo and imbibe came along there was no competition anymore. And with the rest of the roasteries coming out of the woodwork they never stood a chance.

The stuff is MOR now. Good enough in a pinch, but wouldn't be going rooting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Got a variety of Ponaire coffees recently

European and connoisseur blend are quiet nice.
    Got the mexican jaguar blend also but given that it is 2 x the price of the other coffees it didnt stand out - really quite expensive at 12 euro / 250g.

Waiting until closer to Dec to Try the Christmas blend.

carq wrote: »
    Got a variety of Ponaire coffees recently

European and connoisseur blend are quiet nice.
    Got the mexican jaguar blend also but given that it is 2 x the price of the other coffees it didnt stand out - really quite expensive at 12 euro / 250g.

Waiting until closer to Dec to Try the Christmas blend.

Its a fair shout, i really enjoyed the European blend.

I've been on the Xmas blend the last few days, again - its delicious. Will probably give 250kg as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

:confused:

Is it good value though?
    €27 for 1kg Inc delivery
    You could get
    Belllane's House blend espresso for €29.50 delivered or
    CoffeAngel's
    Fórsa Gála Espresso for €30 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Whats the best bang for buck coffee around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Is getting a 12 month sub for 1kg roasted wholebean bags worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've been on the Xmas blend the last few days, again - its delicious. Will probably give 250kg as gifts.

That's very generous of you, that would see them sorted for coffee for possibly the next 20 years apiece. :)

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's very generous of you, that would see them sorted for coffee for possibly the next 20 years apiece. :)

Ooops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    It does yeah, I got some there before and it had a roast date of approx 4 days beforehand if I remember correctly

Handy to know, thanks! :) We're fans of the 3fe decaf tbh, probably the best I've tried from an Irish roaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Was thinking of order 2kg of coffee beans from B&D (to get free delivery). That would last me about 2 months. If I didn't open the second bag for a month would it lose any freshness/taste in the intervening period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

freeze it

Wouldn't freezing it break or crack the beans?
    I emailed wcc, and they said beans keep fresh for upto 3 months, where as grinded keeps fresh for upto 3 weeks.
    I wouldn't freeze, keep in air tight container.

The Haven wrote: »
    I emailed wcc, and they said beans keep fresh for upto 3 months, where as grinded keeps fresh for upto 3 weeks.

Tbh that is my experience. I haven't noticed a decline over a month. I keep them wholebean in an air tight container. That said, I'm no connoisseur :D

Beans don't crack or degrade if you freeze them. See the photo included in my earlier post: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115180454&postcount=1012

Freezing wouldn't crack the beans as they should be almost devoid of water at that point.

I get my coffee ground by the roastery and keep it in an airtight canister that slots right over my moka pot for perfect dosing.

I have found with some beans - most recently the Sumatra from Ponaire - that they need a couple of weeks to "air", ie. the Sumatran was much nicer a few weeks after roasting. But then again it's all personal taste at the end of the day.

Okay, thanks for your thoughts.
    I think, I might get an air container.

Okay, thanks for your thoughts.
    I think, I might get an air container.

I don't bother, I just leave them in the packets they come in, which have ziploc seals. I just take a bag out of the freezer, pour some beans into the hopper, hang the bean containing bottom part of the bag over the edge of the counter top and push the air out of the top part of the bag and press the seal closed, then straight back into the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Bloody no ziplock with Ponaire nor Mahers I think.

• Advertisement

Badger & Dodo ordered. 1kg Nensebo Refissa + 1kg Bota Fora. That should be me through the Christmas.

Advertisement