Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Got a slightly too strong Berry taste off he Froza Gala but a nice coffee all round. All personal taste of course, think I'm more a chocolate and caramel type of guy than the fruity slightly acidic tasting beans. Fun trying new beans out all the time though.

Have a one4all voucher I need to use. Do any of the roasters accept them online by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Drinking this today. Absolutely delicious https://www.upsidecoffee.com/buy-coffee/brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    The Forsa Gala was a hit in our house, everyone loved it (All milky coffee drinkers) , I think ill have to get a bag for over the christmas to keep everyone happy :pac:

Damn you boards... just ordered a bag for christmas. I'm the only one who drinks coffee in our house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

Yesterday I finished off the last of my Fórsa Gála beans from Coffee Angel.
    This morning I opened up a fresh 1kg bag (roasted 26th Nov) and immediately noticed a different pour and lovely crema.
    It's interesting what a difference a fresh bag of beans can make.

Picked up some pistachio cantucci in Lidl. They are really going down a treat.

Do they ship freshly roasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

ting_tang wrote: »
    Do they ship freshly roasted?
    It is not bad espresso at all , it was fresh enough when I last ordered ( within a week roasted date, I think)

I would prefer Bell Lane’s
    “House blend Espresso” though , great thick crema, delicious taste, definitely not as muted as Forsa Gala .
    Then again, if someone adding milk ,sugar , syrup etc taste doesn’t matter I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That was some service. Ordered yesterday and it arrived in kerry this morning by dpd.
    Liked the personalised card inside. A nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Came across a new Irish coffee roaster on insta - sumo coffee roasters! Free shipping above 29.99

https://www.sumocoffeeroasters.com/shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Came across a new Irish coffee roaster on insta - sumo coffee roasters! Free shipping above 29.99

https://www.sumocoffeeroasters.com/shop

23.50 for a 250g bag of columbian?

they can keep it

alec76 wrote: »
    It is not bad espresso at all , it was fresh enough when I last ordered ( within a week roasted date, I think)

I would prefer Bell Lane’s
    “House blend Espresso” though , great thick crema, delicious taste, definitely not as muted as Forsa Gala .
    Then again, if someone adding milk ,sugar , syrup etc taste doesn’t matter I presume.

Do they ship following roasted day? I'm a slow drinker, normally 2-3 singles/day. At the moment have 2 bags resting from 3fe. Never tried them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

In all fairness, that's not your average Colombian coffee. I've had the same one roasted by Imbibe and it was incredible. Honestly one of the best coffees I've ever had.

• Advertisement

A few posts about this recently and 3fe and WCC were mentioned I think but looking for a nice decaf (I know, sorry :o:o) for some afternoon / evening drinking over Xmas.

Coffee Angel's Montalvo sounds nice as does the one below from Upside - anyone tried them?
    https://www.upsidecoffee.com/buy-coffee/upside-coffee-dublin-decaf-brazil

Have never tried upside and they have some nice looking options at the moment so might give them a shot even if they are a bit pricier than I'd normally go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Personally didn't enjoy the Upside decaf, strong "decaf" aftertaste to it and a bit hollow throughout the two bags we went through despite having an above average hand grinder. The 3fe is our favourite with the Ponaire in second place. Both have a nutty finish without any aftertaste with the 3fe being sweeter. The WCC decaf is great fresh but looses a lot of flavour (in my opinion of course) over the week or two it's opened. The Maher's Swiss water decaf is very smooth and bright tasting but lacks the taste of the 3fe or Ponaire. All of my experience is only with pour over or French press so YMMV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bought a few bags from bailies and accidentally ordered a colombian decaf. I've an entire bag of greenbeans/dream beans decaf that I think is okay, so not when I'll get around to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Do they ship following roasted day?
    Not all the time. 1-7 days freshness, normaly .

Talguetler wrote: »
    Personally didn't enjoy the Upside decaf, strong "decaf" aftertaste to it and a bit hollow throughout the two bags we went through despite having an above average hand grinder. The 3fe is our favourite with the Ponaire in second place. Both have a nutty finish without any aftertaste with the 3fe being sweeter. The WCC decaf is great fresh but looses a lot of flavour (in my opinion of course) over the week or two it's opened. The Maher's Swiss water decaf is very smooth and bright tasting but lacks the taste of the 3fe or Ponaire. All of my experience is only with pour over or French press so YMMV.

Could you elaborate on that? What does mean "decaf" taste?
    I don't drink decaf, but my wife does, at the moment she prefers square mile's decaf, but always interested to try a new one.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Could you elaborate on that? What does mean "decaf" taste?
    I don't drink decaf, but my wife does, at the moment she prefers square mile's decaf, but always interested to try a new one.

Thank you!

No worries I would describe it as a muddy aftertaste that lingers. Not exactly bitter dull and lacking flavour. I found this similar taste in tinned instant decaf, Lavazza pre-ground decaf, and other bagged supermarket decaf beans. I've never tried the Square Mile decaf so I'm not sure how it would compare to any of my favourites. Also I would be very slow to complain about a roaster's offering online unless I had genuinely given it a good shout. I'm using a Comandante C40, pour over equipment and French Press only so again YMMV if using higher end equipment.

Talguetler wrote: »

Thanks, this is really, really helpful (and I'm french press and clever dripper at the moment so it's very relevant!) Will give 3FE a shot I think :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Thanks, this is really, really helpful (and I'm french press and clever dripper at the moment so it's very relevant!) Will give 3FE a shot I think :-)

3 Fe great for being in Dublin, but Rave coffee uk and use parcel motel if you want everyday affordable.

Tried some Velo Tandem (Cork group super nice to deal with) a go and was good and fresh.

3 Fe great for being in Dublin, but Rave coffee uk and use parcel motel if you want everyday affordable.

Tried some Velo Tandem (Cork group super nice to deal with) a go and was good and fresh.

How much does rave work out per kg delivered if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Rave nearly always have a 15% discount, it works out about €25-30 per kg for me, but I usually have a discount code for 20%
    Ive tried Bailies, and Bell Lane and Mahers and Killarney coffee and B&D, of all of them, I prefer Rave. They are consistent. They are always fresh, the others have all left me down at some point, and Ive had to send back, or even if not send back, wait for fresh. I dont buy the most expensive, but I do want decent, fresh beans. It's not that difficult, one would think, but apparently it is.

Rave FTW and parcel Motel for shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Could be tricky ordering from the UK from Jan 1

NATLOR wrote: »
    Could be tricky ordering from the UK from Jan 1

True - wonder how it will affect parcel motel? Anyone know anything with regards to impact.

breeno wrote: »
    How much does rave work out per kg delivered if you don't mind me asking?

Dependant on beans but roughly 20 Sterling per kg of their signature blend, 3.50 sterling postage to NI parcel motel depot and 4 euro for drop down to me.

It's free delivery over 30 pound (so minus the delivery to depot) and they always have 15% off offers going.

On the plus side never had beans that are old from them (always been a few days from roasted (shipping time really))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

True - wonder how it will affect parcel motel? Anyone know anything with regards to impact.

I was using parcel wizard to buy from various UK roasters but they are calling it a day on Friday. Addresspal want a credit/ debit card linked to your account to pay for any extra VAT/ duty that may be due. PM haven't said a word yet they could be in trouble with that business model ( lockers) can't see it being sustainable post Brexit
    Anyway back on topic I tried Maher's for the first time and was impressed with the quick delivery and freshness of the coffee,will go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Ponaire are out of Sumatran 😭 and will be for the foreseeable. So have the Java instead and a Christmas one as well. Can't wait to give them a try

Had a latte with the Colombian while there again great flavour and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

I was using parcel wizard to buy from various UK roasters but they are calling it a day on Friday. Addresspal want a credit/ debit card linked to your account to pay for any extra VAT/ duty that may be due. PM haven't said a word yet they could be in trouble with that business model ( lockers) can't see it being sustainable post Brexit
    Anyway back on topic I tried Maher's for the first time and was impressed with the quick delivery and freshness of the coffee,will go back again

Addresspal also now needs your home address for delivery rather than just collecting at PO. And it's €6.50 pretty item rather than €3.95. You can still choose to have it left at PO for collection or various other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Careful now, especially after Jan 1st

I've put my Christmas order in and gone with Mahers Italian and the Christmas blend. Will be trying them with a new Clever Dripper too. Possibly with some whiskey or Baileys too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

breeno wrote: »
    I've put my Christmas order in and gone with Mahers Italian and the Christmas blend. Will be trying them with a new Clever Dripper too. Possibly with some whiskey or Baileys too :)

Mahers Italian blend is one of the nicest coffee ive drank recently. Just lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

3fe christmas blend was a bit disappointing with filter methods, decent in moka or espresso but not really worth it, didn't get much of the tasting notes at all from my experience

Advertisement