Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

adam240610 wrote: »
    3fe christmas blend was a bit disappointing with filter methods, decent in moka or espresso but not really worth it, didn't get much of the tasting notes at all from my experience

Planning to order some with decaf from 3fe, which one would you recommend?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm pretty new to the whole coffee brewing thing, bought a Sage Bambino a couple of months ago and I also bought an Aeropress recently. I'm trying out a few roasters and I'm currently on Badger & Dodo Jam Jar for espresso, which is quite nice, but using it with the Aeropress isn't quite as good. I'd love to hear any recommendations for beans from anyone using Aeropress (or indeed for espresso beans also). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just about to put in my xmas coffee order - 3kg is totally not excessive right? :D
    In fairness, 1kg is decaf :D

mossie wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to the whole coffee brewing thing, bought a Sage Bambino a couple of months ago and I also bought an Aeropress recently. I'm trying out a few roasters and I'm currently on Badger & Dodo Jam Jar for espresso, which is quite nice, but using it with the Aeropress isn't quite as good. I'd love to hear any recommendations for beans from anyone using Aeropress (or indeed for espresso beans also). Thanks.

From the recent ones: liked Maher's Kenya AA, Kenya Peaberry. Italian from them was mentioned already, but I don't like dark roast.
    Also Honduras from them brewed with Aeropress got an attention from my filter drinking friends.
    Just keep in mind that they can send 3-4 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

mossie wrote: »

I love light to medium roast East African beans in the Aeropress - Ethopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya.

Badger and Dodo always have an Ethopian or 2 on the go, and if they still have Nensebo Refissa it's an absolute banger of a coffee

• Advertisement

I love light to medium roast East African beans in the Aeropress - Ethopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya.

Badger and Dodo always have an Ethopian or 2 on the go, and if they still have Nensebo Refissa it's an absolute banger of a coffee

Have not tried them before. Do they ship freshly roasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah they do

I can't speak highly enough of their coffee, I've been ordering from them for 4 months now, always top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Glebee wrote: »
    Mahers Italian blend is one of the nicest coffee ive drank recently. Just lovely stuff.

what date was it roasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Anytime I've had the Italian it's been roasted within the previous day or few days prior to dispatch. Never any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

No idea sorry, its long gone:D:D I got it mid Nov and it was roasted a week earlier I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

alec76 wrote: »
    It is not bad espresso at all , it was fresh enough when I last ordered ( within a week roasted date, I think)

I would prefer Bell Lane’s
    “House blend Espresso” though , great thick crema, delicious taste, definitely not as muted as Forsa Gala .
    Then again, if someone adding milk ,sugar , syrup etc taste doesn’t matter I presume.

My order from Bell Lane arrived today, don't see a roast date on the bag?

CWF wrote: »
    My order from Bell Lane arrived today, don't see a roast date on the bag?

Usually bottom right corner of the label (its small!) Never had a bag from them without a roast date tbh

Usually bottom right corner of the label (its small!) Never had a bag from them without a roast date tbh

8th December. Not great, lol.

8th December. Not great, lol.

What did you order? Just finishing off a bag of the xmas bean and starting this tomorrow or Saturday: https://www.belllane.ie/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/ethiopia-banko-gotiti?variant=37148884107431

What did you order? Just finishing off a bag of the xmas bean and starting this tomorrow or Saturday: https://www.belllane.ie/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/ethiopia-banko-gotiti?variant=37148884107431

The house blend. Won't be opening it for another week or so as I have Cloud picker to get thru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

The house blend. Won't be opening it for another week or so as I have Cloud picker to get thru
    I would squeeze the bag to get rid of air through non return valve and freeze it to keep the freshness.

I was actually thinking, more roasters should do a members' club or similar e.g. sign-up and purchase €100 credit in advance and get 10% off, or get a 10% off your next order code to encourage repeat custom a bit more, or even a €20 membership to get free shipping on all orders for a year or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I was actually thinking, more roasters should do a members' club or similar e.g. sign-up and purchase €100 credit in advance and get 10% off, or get a 10% off your next order code to encourage repeat custom a bit more, or even a €20 membership to get free shipping on all orders for a year or whatever.

Not a bad idea. Putting in my Xmas offer order this weekend so have been on ponaire, bell Lane, b & d, bailies and others. No real deals, offers to speak of. Most have free shipping over 50 quid as well apart from bell Lane I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've ordered four bags of coffee from Deambeans two months in a row. For pricing, delivery, freshness I think they're pretty hard to beat. Have enjoyed the Jaggy Loko and the new 'sea swimming' blend, Rising Tide. Is it the best Irish roasted coffee I've ever had? No, but considering the amount of coffee the wife and I go through it is appealing when it's possibly 25-30% less expensive and almost as good. Both times the coffee has been roasted 2-3 days before it was in my hands.

Before this we were alternating between Coffee Angel, 3FE or sometimes a large order of coffee from Monmouth Coffee in the UK (Reasonably economical option too, if you post to ParcelMotel).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

Just picked up a Christmas present for myself from the local roastery. Pricey enough but should be nice.

https://theoldbarracks.ie/product/colombia-la-gabriela-geisha/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

walshtipp wrote: »
    Just picked up a Christmas present for myself from the local roastery. Pricey enough but should be nice.

https://theoldbarracks.ie/product/colombia-la-gabriela-geisha/

That looks like it should be tasty, looking forward to a review

That looks like it should be tasty, looking forward to a review

I have the December 11th roast so they are not recommending it be brewed until 1st January. Looking forward to it. Will post when I try it out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

walshtipp wrote: »
    I have the December 11th roast so they are not recommending it be brewed until 1st January. Looking forward to it. Will post when I try it out.

Interesting. I remember posting about another roaster recommending there beans being brewed a few weeks after roasted(varied from bean to bean) and it causing a bit of hullabaloo. There must be something to flavour developing weeks after roasting

Weepsie wrote: »
    Interesting. I remember posting about another roaster recommending there beans being brewed a few weeks after roasted(varied from bean to bean) and it causing a bit of hullabaloo. There must be something to flavour developing weeks after roasting

Yeah the advice varies between roasters. The lads at The Old Barracks told me before that it takes time for flavours to properly develop after roasting and that the resting time depends on how the coffee was processed. They recommend 10 days rest for washed coffees and 20 days for natural coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

I've ordered four bags of coffee from Deambeans two months in a row. For pricing, delivery, freshness I think they're pretty hard to beat. Have enjoyed the Jaggy Loko and the new 'sea swimming' blend, Rising Tide. Is it the best Irish roasted coffee I've ever had? No, but considering the amount of coffee the wife and I go through it is appealing when it's possibly 25-30% less expensive and almost as good. Both times the coffee has been roasted 2-3 days before it was in my hands.

Before this we were alternating between Coffee Angel, 3FE or sometimes a large order of coffee from Monmouth Coffee in the UK (Reasonably economical option too, if you post to ParcelMotel).

That is the only coffee I have been drinking for the last so many years. Not tried the Swimming one yet, whats your favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

What is coffeeangels Forza Gala like? Never had it, thinking of giving it a go.

mad m wrote: »
    What is coffeeangels Forza Gala like? Never had it, thinking of giving it a go.

Just on my first bag of it atm! I am using a clever dripper but it's mainly for espresso think. I find it quite strong, chocolatey, not very fruity or floral. Nothing very standout or unique about it as I've been brewing ti but a good solid, strong everyday coffee imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's their house blend for espresso based drinks. MAkes a great americano, but probably not the best for a V60 etc. They have one there at the moment called Rioki (or something like that). Lovely pour over or french press etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all

Appreciate a bit of advice if allowed on the forum.

Love coffee - no connoisseur. And get through a bit. Nespresso, French Press, Moka pot and Aero Press. But we only really get the Tesco Finest Ground or the L’Or - mainly for ease, and what I thought was value.

We spend about €45/50 per month on both. So I wondered if a reusable pod and ordering better coffee online would be better value. Don’t want to go too much over that price really.

Would really appreciate thoughts and advice. Thanks.

• Advertisement

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

Appreciate a bit of advice if allowed on the forum.

Love coffee - no connoisseur. And get through a bit. Nespresso, French Press, Moka pot and Aero Press. But we only really get the Tesco Finest Ground or the L’Or - mainly for ease, and what I thought was value.

We spend about €45/50 per month on both. So I wondered if a reusable pod and ordering better coffee online would be better value. Don’t want to go too much over that price really.

Would really appreciate thoughts and advice. Thanks.

How much coffee for 45/50€?

The cheapest freshly roasted coffee, I found for now, around ~6.5€ for 250gr, some roasters can offer discount for 1kg bags (i.e. 6.5€ for 250 gr, and 25€ for 1 kg). Even with that one you will notice the huge difference in taste.
    Do you have a grinder for your reusable pod?

Advertisement