Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

alec76 wrote: »

as for the Amazon.co.uk it is definitely no difference for us,apart from the items we used buy through ParcelMotel , AdressPal etc.

Just to note parcel motel is no longer offering a service via NI and addresspal charge €7 I believe so may not be much of a cost saving.

I would say, there are LOADS of great Irish coffee roasters so great to support these business who have been offering fast shipping and excellent service in most cases over the past 9 months (and longer obviously, but the challenges of operating a business must be significant of late!) Even if it means paying a bit extra in some cases, it creates jobs and supports a really great industry - I think we are actually blessed in Ireland with the quality of roasters and coffee shops in a lot of cases.

I'm going with either WCC, Velo or badger & dodo's single origin sub for the first 6 months of 2021 I think!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

exactly, huge choice of irish suppliers, probably one a lot closer to you than you think. why are you thinking of uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cnocbui wrote: »
    How does that work? Amazon have been charging Irish VAT and remitting it for some years. Adams and Russel charged me no vat on my last purchase, which I have posted to a NI parcelwizard address. I really doubt anything is going to change. This is an agreement beyween the EU and UK, and much as Revenue have a strong propensity for flipping the EU the bird, I doubt they are going to in this instance.

When I buy from Luxembourg, the MSWT is 3%.

Parcel Wizard is gone, so is Parcel Motel through NI. Amazon are set up for selling to Ireland. Most smaller UK businesses haven't a clue what the new rules are. In fact a lot of huge British companies have said they won't be dealing with NI until they figure out what's going on and are not inclined to do the extra paperwork.

It's not like there's nowhere to buy good coffee in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is mostly about coffee tools/hardware Iam worry about, hardly ever bought coffee from UK,apart from bailies , of course.
    https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/
    great source for the spare parts , ordered driving belt and pulley for my VARIO recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Called in to Cafe Moly yesterday in Douglas Street, Cork while I was down at the inlaws.

Opened at the start of December, cool little spot and have their roaster on the shop floor.

Gota bag of their Velvet Espresso blend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

mossym wrote: »
    exactly, huge choice of irish suppliers, probably one a lot closer to you than you think. why are you thinking of uk?

+1 on this. You really don’t need to look further than Irish suppliers/roasters. So many good ones around. You’ll see Ponaire, West Cork Coffee, Cloud Picker, Badger & Dodo recommended a lot here. Coffee Angel is a favourite of mine (not technically a roaster as they sell white-labelled Bailies beans) as they offer same-day/next-day delivery in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

The previous year I bought a lot of Coffee trying different roasters and varieties, this year I am going to find a Coffee I like and stick to it for a while longer, trying to dial in on new beans each time on the SB can be a nightmare.

I ordered Indian Monsoon Malabar from Artofcoffee.

Klopp wrote: »
    The previous year I bought a lot of Coffee trying different roasters and varieties, this year I am going to find a Coffee I like and stick to it for a while longer, trying to dial in on new beans each time on the SB can be a nightmare.

Confession for me, I jump coffees a lot. I enjoy them plenty but if you were to ask me to describe the taste,I really could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Confession for me, I jump coffees a lot. I enjoy them plenty but if you were to ask me to describe the taste,I really could not.

Lol i am the same. I can tell more what is a bad Coffee than a good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Asked someone to pick up some Bell Lane coffee for me just before Christmas who happened to be in their area., roast date Sept 2020. Was a small bit disappointed with that roast date when picking up direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mossym wrote: »

I don't feel particularly inclined to buy at Irish prices for anything, coffee included. I also find the quality/taste from about half the few irish roasters I have tried to be lacking in terms of value for money.

To be fair, I also found Adams and Russel to be a bit variable in quality. I was really impressed by their Indian Tiger Stripes the first couple of times I ordered it, but after a hiatus, the latest lot didn't seem like the same thing at all, making me wonder if the names mean anything much. However, their lower pricing made that ok.

Price/quality wise, I'm turning to the continent. The most consistent quality I have got is from a roaster in Luxembourg. My next order will likely be from kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de, as they have the Indian Pearl Mountain that should be the same as the Velo Ratnagiri Estate Catuai Aldi were selling recently and which I like a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Klopp wrote: »

If you're into espresso try their fusion blend. It's my regular coffee. I jump to others every so often but always come back to fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Glebee wrote: »
    Asked someone to pick up some Bell Lane coffee for me just before Christmas who happened to be in their area., roast date Sept 2020. Was a small bit disappointed with that roast date when picking up direct.

Thats mad, I ordered their house blend in the first week of December and the roast date was only a few days prior to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Thats mad, I ordered their house blend in the first week of December and the roast date was only a few days prior to order.

Yeah same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there is no vat due on coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

there is no vat due on coffee

Maybe not - but the delivery was always my issue - Rave cost 18 pound for delivery of my usual order - whereas it was 4 euro via parcel motel.

Hope one of the companies gets back up and going again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Maybe not - but the delivery was always my issue - Rave cost 18 pound for delivery of my usual order - whereas it was 4 euro via parcel motel.

Hope one of the companies gets back up and going again

Address pal is still going

Hi all. Looking for a recommendation here. My wife would like an espresso like you’d get in Italy. Have tried loads of delicious beans recently but nothing that has tickled that fancy! Is it a dark roast bean I’m looking for? Most roasters seem to have light/medium only. As I understand it, dark roasted beans are basically burning out all the flavour.

Any recommendations are welcome. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

barrac wrote: »
    Hi all. Looking for a recommendation here. My wife would like an espresso like you’d get in Italy. Have tried loads of delicious beans recently but nothing that has tickled that fancy! Is it a dark roast bean I’m looking for? Most roasters seem to have light/medium only. As I understand it, dark roasted beans are basically burning out all the flavour.

An espresso like you get in Italy is fairly vague.

limnam wrote: »
    An espresso like you get in Italy is fairly vague.

My bad. In general I find Italian espresso very strong. Definitely a lot more intense dark flavour than any beans I have gotten here. Probably the closest would be some Lavazza supermarket beans but they just taste burnt to me.

I guess what I am looking for is an intense/full bodied espresso.

My go-to at the minute is Coffee Angel Forsa Gala and have tried Cloud Picker Sam and a few from WCC also recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do people think its good to try out loads of coffees to find the right one ?

I have generally stuck to the coffees I feel are safest. I've been buying Lavazza Tierra Coffee beans for months now. Actually bought a bunch last year (when it looked like maybe things would be hairy with Covid) and only now after getting through it. Its grand but you know when you find a coffee that you are like "JUST WOW", I havent had that in awhile and never actually asked what the coffee was when I got it in shops/restaurants.

Perhaps part of the issue is that I have gotten into a habit of making my coffee with Syrup and/or Vanilla milk so Ive gone away from the coffee flavour aspect. I was looking at the Dream Beanz website somebody mentioned and was going to just buy 3 or 4 packets of random stuff and start from there ?!

As another poster said, I like good strong coffee, but I cant say what sort of flavour or anything more comprehensive on exactly what coffee I would love to get. Any suggestions would be welcome.

NATLOR wrote: »
    Address pal is still going

Really never used it as PM was working fine for me - might give them a try and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info

My bad. In general I find Italian espresso very strong. Definitely a lot more intense dark flavour than any beans I have gotten here. Probably the closest would be some Lavazza supermarket beans but they just taste burnt to me.

I guess what I am looking for is an intense/full bodied espresso.

My go-to at the minute is Coffee Angel Forsa Gala and have tried Cloud Picker Sam and a few from WCC also recently.

For Espresso there are Italian espresso blends (Drinking on from RAVE coffee UK now). It makes a nice espresso.

One Question though - by any chance does she mean a Mocha pot drink - i remember reading that these were the traditional italian espresso (also machines used to be 9 bar, not the current 15-19 bar)

Sorry don't have any irish recommendations yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Really never used it as PM was working fine for me - might give them a try and see how it goes.

I used them once at the start I was a PW regular but that ship has sailed too. Think addresspal has upped their prices but with coffee being zero VAT should still be a decent saving using them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

NATLOR wrote: »
    I used them once at the start I was a PW regular but that ship has sailed too. Think addresspal has upped their prices but with coffee being zero VAT should still be a decent saving using them

Home delivery is €6.50 up to 20kg with addresspal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Are you sure it's espresso and not Cappucino she likes, the latter having frothy milk added?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

Try Maher's Italian blend, dark roast is not my favorite, but I had some sweet shots with it.

Thanks for the recommendation - I will try that from Maher’s.

It’s definitely espresso alright but good shout on the Moka pot. Similar type of strong espresso I am looking for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It’s definitely espresso alright but good shout on the Moka pot. Similar type of strong espresso I am looking for.

Try this method using the Moka pot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI

• Advertisement

Moka is definitely the closest you'll get to an espresso outside of splashing out I feel. It's pretty pleasant to make as well, it's like my morning meditation.

Advertisement