Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Sorry folks I have an espresso machine - a pretty recent acquisition and a total game changer!

I see Mahers have a French blend as well which is a dark roast. Might give that a go also to try and recreate the Italian cafe experience.

For myself I’m thinking of trying Badger & Dodo jam jar blend. Think I’ve heard others recommending it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

barrac wrote: »

For myself I’m thinking of trying Badger & Dodo jam jar blend. Think I’ve heard others recommending it here...

Jamjar is lovely as is fairy floss imo!

I might have to try both! What’s their delivery time like?

I might have to try both! What’s their delivery time like?

I found it 3 days or so but I know a couple on teh forum found it took a week or so recently - may have been Christmas related or just a backlog. I've just taken out a 6 month subscription with them starting this week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Does anyone here know is there anywhere in Galway selling Yorkshire tea bags?

• Advertisement

II've just taken out a 6 month subscription with them starting this week :-)

Sweet. No harm keeping the group updated on the subscription! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Were you just pulling espresso shots with these blends?

Very low on beans, so was looking at B&D earlier. I used to buy a Kg of Blackwater in farmer browns Rathmines as it was convenient and cheaper than buying straight from B&D (€24)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do people think its good to try out loads of coffees to find the right one ?

yes, I've had a subscription to a couple of different roasters over the last 3 years, you get a different coffee (or 2 or 3) each month, tasting notes and suggested brewing method.

You get coffees from all over the world (mostly African and Latin America focussed) and really get an insight into what you enjoy, and the coffees are usually really good quality single origin microlots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

yes, I've had a subscription to a couple of different roasters over the last 3 years, you get a different coffee (or 2 or 3) each month, tasting notes and suggested brewing method.

You get coffees from all over the world (mostly African and Latin America focussed) and really get an insight into what you enjoy, and the coffees are usually really good quality single origin microlots.

Which roaster you would recommend? Started to think about subscription seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Does anyone here know is there anywhere in Galway selling Yorkshire tea bags?

Just order a box of tetleys - bet musgraves cash and carry on the tuam road have it

• Advertisement

ting_tang wrote: »
    Which roaster you would recommend? Started to think about subscription seriously.

I've used Bailies for 2 years and 3FE for a year before that

I think 3 years is more than enough, and I know what I like now so will order my own beans monthly

I'm currently on a Badger & Dodo buzz and wouldn't hesitate to recommend their Sub offers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Do people think its good to try out loads of coffees to find the right one ?

I have generally stuck to the coffees I feel are safest. I've been buying Lavazza Tierra Coffee beans for months now. Actually bought a bunch last year (when it looked like maybe things would be hairy with Covid) and only now after getting through it. Its grand but you know when you find a coffee that you are like "JUST WOW", I havent had that in awhile and never actually asked what the coffee was when I got it in shops/restaurants.

Perhaps part of the issue is that I have gotten into a habit of making my coffee with Syrup and/or Vanilla milk so Ive gone away from the coffee flavour aspect. I was looking at the Dream Beanz website somebody mentioned and was going to just buy 3 or 4 packets of random stuff and start from there ?!

As another poster said, I like good strong coffee, but I cant say what sort of flavour or anything more comprehensive on exactly what coffee I would love to get. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Personally i think changing coffee too often a waste as you lose so much during a proper setup.

For any coffee i add a flavour (use vanilla sugar myself) to, i pretty much stick to the house blends (they are usually good quality) - I did stop buying general shop (tesco) beans as i don't believe they last (scientifically it doesn't stand up at least)

Not tried but the price on Bell Lane for 1kg of blend is not bad at 24.50. I'd say shoot for that and get a good coffee can.

Personally i think changing coffee too often a waste as you lose so much during a proper setup.

This is probably true for Espresso machines?

For methods like FP, Aero, v60 or even Clever Dripper which are more forgiving, I find that I can brew my usual method and if I need to make one adjustment (smaller/larger dose, cooler/hotter water) to get it where it needs, but the first cup is always going to be ok too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, I'm forever trying new coffees. I've a few that I'll go back to, but like trying new beans and finding out which way is the best to get a good flavour out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For any coffee i add a flavour (use vanilla sugar myself) to, i pretty much stick to the house blends (they are usually good quality) - I did stop buying general shop (tesco) beans as i don't believe they last (scientifically it doesn't stand up at least)

Not tried but the price on Bell Lane for 1kg of blend is not bad at 24.50. I'd say shoot for that and get a good coffee can.

Waste? I drink every drop. The freezer is about half down and I have 4 different coffees in there to choose from. It's usually more. I'd switch about every 3 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

cnocbui wrote: »
    Waste? I drink every drop. The freezer is about half down and I have 4 different coffees in there to choose from. It's usually more. I'd switch about every 3 days or so.

Does freezing beans improve the retention of bean freshness?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Does freezing beans improve the retention of bean freshness?

IMO, yes. The end of a bag tastes the same to me as the first. Due to economising on shipping costs, I usually buy up to the limit of the weight range so will get about 2.75 Kg at a time and then put it all in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Hi all. Looking for a recommendation here. My wife would like an espresso like you’d get in Italy. Have tried loads of delicious beans recently but nothing that has tickled that fancy! Is it a dark roast bean I’m looking for? Most roasters seem to have light/medium only. As I understand it, dark roasted beans are basically burning out all the flavour.

Any recommendations are welcome. TIA.

Bought 'passalacqua' espresso in Naples a few years ago, delicious,absolutely brings me back any time I can get a bag over here.

Bought 'passalacqua' espresso in Naples a few years ago, delicious,absolutely brings me back any time I can get a bag over here.

Looks good. Have you ever seen it stocked over here? Seems like I can only order from European websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Looks good. Have you ever seen it stocked over here? Seems like I can only order from European websites.

Only place I've ever got them in Ireland was ' Napoli' restaurant ,monkstown, cork. A tasty bean closer to home for me is in ' cafe de Napoli' Westland row, their coffee is lovely, and they sell retail too. I recommend the cremador variety of passalacqua from personal experience, also they were sold in marks and Spencer here a couple of years ago, not so sure about nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I got a Chemex for Christmas. Makes a lovely cup of coffee. Any recommendations for a good roasters for Chemex would be fantastic.

Ordered the Christmas Special from from Coffee Angel. I and was very impressed. Ordered it at 6pm on the 29thb and arrived at midday the 30th. I know they have a deal with Bailies who roast for them. It's a very nice coffee.

Coffee Angel have one called Rioki at the moment. Found that to be lovely in a v60 ( i know not quite the same) and Bailies Guatemala La Providencia too. I'll be ordering the latter again for sure. Bailies Christmas blend ws lovely too. Havn't touched 3fes or Coffee Angels so will be finally drinking them this week

Clegg wrote: »

Ordered the Christmas Special from from Coffee Angel. I and was very impressed. Ordered it at 6pm on the 29thb and arrived at midday the 30th. I know they have a deal with Bailies who roast for them. It's a very nice coffee.

Thought the su nollag was great too - halfway through a bag of the El Mirador Costa Rican https://coffeeangel.com/collections/coffee/products/backup-of-el-mirador-natural-costa-rica

it's fine but not as since as the su nollag for me tbh (clever dripper) May be a slightly darker roast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Are coffee angel's beans not roasted by Bailies? Another poster mentioned it. I looked on their website and they don't say that they roast so it must be true.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Are coffee angel's beans not roasted by Bailies? Another poster mentioned it. I looked on their website and they don't say that they roast so it must be true.

They are indeed. I found out when I went into Coffee Angel with a Bailies keep cup and ended up have a long conversation with the barista about their various coffees.

Honey Truffle Cafe also use Bailies beans for their coffee and you can often by Bags of Bailies in Meet me in the Morning/Reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I got a sage barista express about 2 months ago. I'm pretty much a coffee noob, so haven't tried many roasteries. Have been trying Cloudpicker since but wondering if anyone can recommend any good roasteries in Ireland? Found some good reviews on bailies coffee roastry and their prices don't seem to mad compared to the south. Would you recommend this roasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Weepsie wrote: »
    They are indeed. I found out when I went into Coffee Angel with a Bailies keep cup and ended up have a long conversation with the barista about their various coffees.

Honey Truffle Cafe also use Bailies beans for their coffee and you can often by Bags of Bailies in Meet me in the Morning/Reference.

It's interesting that they've outsourced their roasting. You'd think having a few shops would mean they would roast their own stuff. Have you ever had any issues with Bailies coffee? I stopped ordering due to issues with consistency and was particularly disappointed with my last order about six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Weepsie wrote: »
    Coffee Angel have one called Rioki at the moment. Found that to be lovely in a v60 ( i know not quite the same) and Bailies Guatemala La Providencia too. I'll be ordering the latter again for sure. Bailies Christmas blend ws lovely too. Havn't touched 3fes or Coffee Angels so will be finally drinking them this week

I got a bag of Rioki grinded for Aeropress along with the Su Nollaig for Chemex. You're right about it being lovely. Might order it again but for pour over instead. I'll have a look at the Guatemala. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

awhir wrote: »
    I got a sage barista express about 2 months ago. I'm pretty much a coffee noob, so haven't tried many roasteries. Have been trying Cloudpicker since but wondering if anyone can recommend any good roasteries in Ireland? Found some good reviews on bailies coffee roastry and their prices don't seem to mad compared to the south. Would you recommend this roasty?

A lot of them about, but the one I use most is Ariosa. They deliver quickly, coffee freshly roasted the same week. Their Sumatra Mandheling is one of my favourites, €32/kg including delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got some beans off my sister, her friend's family has a business selling beans in Eastern Europe. I know I've been having trouble grinding beans in my Barista Express but Christ it's like drinking battery acid. They're two months old at this stage but even something much older from Starbucks or Lidl hasn't been this bad.

I brought some to work and even with the French press it's rotten. Thankfully we're due our most recent Badger & Dodo subscription because I don't see myself getting through a kilo of them.

I wouldn't mind but they smell lovely.

Advertisement