Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've finally got around to those Art of Coffee beans. Lovely as a v60. I

I had assumed they were some relation to the chain of shops in Dublin, but they are not (all important The in the title). No idea what the Dublin crowd are like. Tend to bypass them on the way to 3FE

I can confirm the one near grand canal is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've finally got around to those Art of Coffee beans. Lovely as a v60. I

I had assumed they were some relation to the chain of shops in Dublin, but they are not (all important The in the title). No idea what the Dublin crowd are like. Tend to bypass them on the way to 3FE

What did you go for? I see they sell Valrhona chocolate too :cool: I'm sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Last purchase was from B&D. Tried two different beans; Nensebo Refissa and Bota Fora. Preferred the Nensebo Refissa but have decided to go back to Ponaire. Also tried 3FE momentum but think Ponaire was nicest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dubstepper wrote: »
    Last purchase was from B&D. Tried two different beans; Nensebo Refissa and Bota Fora. Preferred the Nensebo Refissa but have decided to go back to Ponaire. Also tried 3FE momentum but think Ponaire was nicest

I've been around the houses a bit for the last few months, got plenty of good coffee, but I'm going back to Ponaire for the next order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I've been around the houses a bit for the last few months, got plenty of good coffee, but I'm going back to Ponaire for the next order too.

Yeah always on the lookout for a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What did you go for? I see they sell Valrhona chocolate too :cool: I'm sold!

Ethiopian , someone else recommended the Indian monsoon. I'm tempted to try another few anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

dubstepper wrote: »
    Yeah always on the lookout for a new one.

Just got my first Ponaire order now - honestly shocked that the best they give is the roast month.

Very dissapointed since i have seen them lauded on here while others are slated for this exact reason.

Guess i'll soon know what the bag tastes like - just won't know if it was at or past its best.

Unless its something special they are off the order list going forward. Any roaster not giving specific dates most likely has something they want hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

My last Ponaire order had three bags and one said "roasted Dec 2020". That's the first time I've seen it. The other two had the roast date on it with Jan 2021. Not sure if it's moving December stock or what. It's the first time I've come across it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This obsession with roast dates is quite something. Despite posts quoting name roasters saying at least a week to a month for best flavour, people are still upset if their coffee wasn't roasted within days of receipt.
    All coffee beans actually have different optimal taste profile time periods and we’ve seen it range from 3 – 18 days after roasting to 5 – 30 days after roasting; including degassing time too.
    http://www.bluepenguincoffee.com/does-coffee-go-bad-3-facts/

One of the nicest coffe's I have had recently was likely roasted on 30th Sep 2020. Yes, I suspect it might have tasted even better with a couple of months knocked off that roast to consumption period, so I have a couple kilos on order, but the main point is it didn't taste remotely poor or bad even 3 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cnocbui wrote: »
    This obsession with roast dates is quite something. Despite posts quoting name roasters saying at least a week to a month for best flavour, people are still upset if their coffee wasn't roasted within days of receipt.

http://www.bluepenguincoffee.com/does-coffee-go-bad-3-facts/

One of the nicest coffe's I have had recently was likely roasted on 30th Sep 2020. Yes, I suspect it might have tasted even better with a couple of months knocked off that roast to consumption period, so I have a couple kilos on order, but the main point is it didn't taste remotely poor or bad even 3 months on.

Have to agree here.

One of the Ethiopian Single origins from WCC I had was a much better drop after I left it alone for a month.

It was overbearing beforehand.

Anyway, Ponaire just put the month on it through expediency. They can tell you the exact roast date if you email them. Plenty on here have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The roast date is a basic piece of manufacture info

By peoples logic if it matters so little why not have it on it.....

When mass label printing not including 2 digits would save no time at all (ok maybe 0.5 seconds a day), unless they have no quality control over roast dates (which i assume they have).

The real issue is that i will know never know if it tasted better 14 days post roast as i have no reference at all. So their lack of info makes that argument a bit redundant too no?

All in all I go out to buy freshly roasted coffee beans (in case you missed it - it's the title of this thread) - i'll head to tesco if i want mystery dates.

To date Bell lane, 3FE and RAVE have been clear on dates. Mahers in next in line - guess i'll see.

When mass label printing not including 2 digits would save no time at all (ok maybe 0.5 seconds a day), unless they have no quality control over roast dates (which i assume they have).

The real issue is that i will know never know if it tasted better 14 days post roast as i have no reference at all. So their lack of info makes that argument a bit redundant too no?

All in all I go out to buy freshly roasted coffee beans (in case you missed it - it's the title of this thread) - i'll head to tesco if i want mystery dates.

To date Bell lane, 3FE and RAVE have been clear on dates. Mahers in next in line - guess i'll see.

Mahers include the date. Received an order Wednesday, all roasted within the week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have to agree here.

One of the Ethiopian Single origins from WCC I had was a much better drop after I left it alone for a month.

It was overbearing beforehand.

Anyway, Ponaire just put the month on it through expediency. They can tell you the exact roast date if you email them. Plenty on here have done.

I disagree, I think the roast date is quite important.

Specialty coffee is very expensive and part of what makes it worth it (to me at least) is that you are getting the beans at the peak of their freshness.

If they don't give you a roast date you have no idea what you are getting.

I don't think beans need to have been roasted within a few days of when they arrive but I have an expectation they they will be reasonably fresh.

For example I bought a KG of beans from a roaster this week. When they arrived I still had some of my previous batch of beans I was still working though so it would be a few days before I started into the KG and would be 3-4 weeks before I was done with them.

When they arrived the roast date indicated they were already 2 weeks old (roasted 4/01 arrived 19/01) I actually brewed my first cup yesterday 21/01. To me they are already past their best at this point and certainly in 3 weeks time they will be well past where I would like them to be.

It may be ok if they were at some sort of discount but they are not, when we are paying €10-€15 for 250g of coffee beans I think it is reasonable to have some expectation of freshness.

Knowing the dates would most likely effect how you preceive the taste anyway, which is why blind taste testing, preferably double-blind, is the only way to tell if there are percievable differences.

I would place money on people not being able to distinguish a week old roasted coffe from the same one roasted six weeks ago.

Blind taste testing with wine connoiseurs and consumers has shown how much gumpf goes on in the wine industry: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Coffee would be just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Which ponaire bean do you all go for? We just got in a kg of the connoisseur bean. Haven’t put it in the machine yet though.

fits wrote: »
    Which ponaire bean do you all go for? We just got in a kg of the connoisseur bean. Haven’t put it in the machine yet though.

Like the costa rican blend myself, big fan of tarrazu beans

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Doorbell just rang and I took delivery of my coffee beans from ROSCO Coffee Limited. www.roscocoffee.ie
    2 X 1KG bags @ Euro 16.50 each.
    Nice everyday coffee .

I normally include the Sumatra in my order - if you like a caffeine kick I haven't found anything more effective. Seems to be out of stock at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Knowing the dates would most likely effect how you preceive the taste anyway, which is why blind taste testing, preferably double-blind, is the only way to tell if there are percievable differences.

I would place money on people not being able to distinguish a week old roasted coffe from the same one roasted six weeks ago.

Blind taste testing with wine connoiseurs and consumers has shown how much gumpf goes on in the wine industry: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Coffee would be just as bad.

I agree with all of this, and to give an example that most Irish people scoff at.

There is zero difference between double and single pour Guinness (or any nitro stout) - it makes absolutely no perceptible difference to the flavour, aroma or taste of the liquid in the glass - or any other sensory input (yes even visual). In blind or double blind tests even trained tasters can't discern a difference (triangle tests are usual in this world btw)

To go back to wine, some so called connoisseurs, when blindfolded, can't tell the difference between white and red when the "wrong" colour is served side by side with the "right" wine at the "right" or "wrong" temperature.

There is definitely an amount of guff surrounding coffee roast dates.

But, people want a certain product when they pay a certain amount, and I do think people are entitled to assume a certain freshness when they are paying a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I love the Mexican Lion Boy through a machine or moka. I had the Sumatran once (based on a recc from here and it was incredible but it hasn't been in stock since November IIRC. Their decaf is a great shout too and cheap as chips.

I've been drinking specialty coffee since late 2019 and I'm not confident I could easily discern the difference between days old and two weeks old coffee if I'm being entirely honest with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Lack of Zip lock on ponaire IKG bag is a bit of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

carq wrote: »

Actually , thats a deal breaker for me. Bought couple bags of them last year and the having to tape the bags shut was a nuisance.
    Acutally another pet hate of mine is the bags with the side open. I bought Bean in Dingle and the larger bags of West Cork Coffee have that side open at the top the further you get down the bag the harder it is to get in with the scoop.
    The top open, like on the 3FE bags are the handiest

Or is it putting it into a tin keeping it as air tight?

carq wrote: »

I have a graveyard of old zip-loc Coffee bags I don't throw out, so my last bags from Ponaire I just poured into a couple of these after opening and than popped them back in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

BKWDR wrote: »
    Actually , thats a deal breaker for me. Bought couple bags of them last year and the having to tape the bags shut was a nuisance.
    Acutally another pet hate of mine is the bags with the side open. I bought Bean in Dingle and the larger bags of West Cork Coffee have that side open at the top the further you get down the bag the harder it is to get in with the scoop.
    The top open, like on the 3FE bags are the handiest

Or is it putting it into a tin keeping it as air tight?

https://www.homegrounds.co/best-coffee-storage-containers/

I have the beansafe which allows co2 to be released. Depends on what tin you have as to how fresh the beans will be.

basill wrote: »
    https://www.homegrounds.co/best-coffee-storage-containers/

I have the beansafe which allows co2 to be released. Depends on what tin you have as to how fresh the beans will be.

The ignorance shown about freezing via that link is epic.

I can't believe that people who spend so much on coffee haven't bought something to store it in and rely on the bag it comes in.

I can't believe that people who spend so much on coffee haven't bought something to store it in and rely on the bag it comes in.

Have you read ' Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig'? If not, I can highly recommend it.

No expensive or fancy storage container is going to do a better job than a good zip-loc coffee bag.

I store my coffee in bags, in the freezer. No amount of emptying my wallet on fancy snake oil is going to provide a better experience or technically better solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The bags they came in (if it has a one way valve and is sealable) is as good as any overpriced container to be honest. I don't bother freezing them either as I get through them quick enough.

Some varieties have been recommended to me to wait a couple of weeks to try too even if they're roasted only 2-3 days prior. Might have been a happy accident though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i did the coffee in the freezer for a while, was introduced to it 20 years ago while living in California, was all the rage for a while, but personally if you are going through your coffee at a reasonable rate it makes no difference.

i don't see the fancy containers as any more snakeoil than freezing coffee. if you think either improves things, rock on. but lambasting one while doing the other does make me chuckle

i would bear in mind killbill may simply have been talking about a cheap tubberware container with a sealable lid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The ignorance shown about freezing via that link is epic.
    The answer lies in the first sentence on the page:
    Homegrounds is reader-supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.
    It's a 'review' page designed for yielding affiliate commission for selling products via click through links on Amazon.

I tend to notice a difference between freshly roasted and older coffee in its physical properties and appearance, as in I need to change the grind level on my grinder as the coffee moves further away from its roast date (to get that espresso shot that is not over/under extracted), and the thickness of the crema (as a by-product of the grinder setting). But, to all intents and purposes if I take beans from the freezer (frozen within a few days of roast), it is effectively treated the same as freshly roasted coffee.

Santa was very generous this year, and I got a Tightvac Coffeevac, which is grand, but it doesn't create a vacuum - it doesn't displace air already in the container - rather it's just a barrier to allowing excess air into the container. Better than nothing. But I also got a Bosch Hand Mixer which comes with a vacuum pump and some reusable vacuum bags. It's a game changer for me, as any excess coffee goes into a vacuum sealed bag and into the freezer. No air, no frost, and beans come out the same way they went in. I'll put my hands up and say that I too would likely fail a blind taste test, but even if I imagine that fresher coffee tastes better, and I can have freshly roasted coffee on demand, surely imagined freshly roasted coffee is better than imagined non-freshly roasted coffee? :)

Advertisement