Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

It's very annoying, but I've crossed into the bean-freezing stage of my coffee journey so it's all the same to me. I portion it out in 250g ziplocks and freeze them flat. The lack of a ziplock ordinarily drives me crazy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mossym wrote: »
    i did the coffee in the freezer for a while, was introduced to it 20 years ago while living in California, was all the rage for a while, but personally if you are going through your coffee at a reasonable rate it makes no difference.

i don't see the fancy containers as any more snakeoil than freezing coffee. if you think either improves things, rock on. but lambasting one while doing the other does make me chuckle

i would bear in mind killbill may simply have been talking about a cheap tubberware container with a sealable lid

I just received my latest order today, as it happens - 3 kg. I get through a fair bit, but I think I'll freeze most of it, just the same.

I must say, my perception of the sequencing of the conversation doesn't agree with yours, but I am glad my reply furnished amusement.

Blind taste test with frozen Coffee: http://www.bluepenguincoffee.com/does-coffee-go-bad-3-facts/

Freezing will remain good enough for me. I have no problem with people imagining whatever thay want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

cnocbui wrote: »
    Blind taste test with frozen Coffee: http://www.bluepenguincoffee.com/does-coffee-go-bad-3-facts/

Freezing will remain good enough for me. I have no problem with people imagining whatever thay want to.

how do you use your frozen beans? Do you unfreeze a whole bag, or just for a few shots?

ting_tang wrote: »
    how do you use your frozen beans? Do you unfreeze a whole bag, or just for a few shots?

I take a bag out of the freezer and pour some straight into the hopper of my grinder 1/5 full - thats good for two or three days - then I press the air out of the bag, reseal it and put it back.

Usually I'll be grinding still frozen beans for the first cup, but the grounds will be defrosted by the time they are used as I usually do that while I boil a small quantity of water in the microwave to pour through the filter holder into my SS vaccum walled cup. I use the water to pre heat the filter, holder and cup before putting the grounds in the filter, tamping it and extracting a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

, but I am glad my reply furnished amusement.

ah apologies, it wasn't you personally i was chuckling at. i have a few hobbies, i am big into my audio gear as well, and i was chuclking more at the fact that no matter what the subject, as soon as subjective opinions are introduced, then there will be arguements about what one person believes works versus another, and those positions will be defended stoutly. audio or coffee (or any other subject), the same thing always happens

you have no need to defend nor prove that freezing your coffee improves it for you. and it's not our place to argue with you that it doesn't. but the same applies to any other theory that people believe in, including fancy storage containers.

i wish i'd always seen it this way, i almost got banned from boards a long time ago for arguing whether expensiive audio cables make a difference or not. i still have my view on that, but at least with age came some ability to accept that if someone else sees it differently then all the best to them.

didn't mean any insult. apologies if it came across that way

the article makes a lot of references to 1 month old beans (and longer), but i do beleive there is likely a time dependency on the usefulness here. i've 2kg arriving tomorrrow, that will last at most a month, probably not that long. maybe thats why i personally didn't notice any benefit to freezing beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

i did the coffee in the freezer for a while, was introduced to it 20 years ago while living in California, was all the rage for a while, but personally if you are going through your coffee at a reasonable rate it makes no difference.

i don't see the fancy containers as any more snakeoil than freezing coffee. if you think either improves things, rock on. but lambasting one while doing the other does make me chuckle

i would bear in mind killbill may simply have been talking about a cheap tubberware container with a sealable lid

I was just surprised that people who buy beans regularly basically left it to chance how they would store them.

I do indeed use a fairly basic airtight container and always buy 3 or 4 250g bags. As a bag is opened the beans go in the container and 250g lasts me a week. Then I open the next bag and put the beans in the container. I don't buy in huge bulk so have no reason to even think about freezing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got a Timemore c2 , My Skerton and Mini Mill were never the best, and I knew it, but the difference in speed is bloody remarkable. Have a 1zpresso winging it's way to me too so will compare them then and see if I keep both and move on the Harios or stash a Hario in work when allowed back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got a Timemore c2 , My Skerton and Mini Mill were never the best, and I knew it, but the difference in speed is bloody remarkable. Have a 1zpresso winging it's way to me too so will compare them then and see if I keep both and move on the Harios or stash a Hario in work when allowed back in.

I got the C2 last month and the difference in speed to my old hario is night and day. Delighted do far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

From the storage perspective would love for a company to do a bit of science instead of the hippie nonsense around coffee.

Freezing in theory should have mimial effect over room temp storage unless the air is removed. At least over a month.

Potential for damage due to frozen water of crystallisation in the compounds that provide the flavour may actually make it worse.

Coffee cans have me confused, CO2 valve on the lid? But CO2 is heavier than air so will sit on the bottom??? Unless they want to the co2 to displace the o2 (which means they should have a 1 way o2 valve on the top) - when you open it each day all the above is redundant.

I break a 1kg bag into 3 x 250g airtight containers and keep the rest for coffee. Store at room temp out of direct light.

I do like the 3fe bags with zip lock above the valve. Good design by them.

On my first kg of ponaire - European blend - nice coffee, no roast date (just month), no easy seal.

Anyone really wants the coffee fresh - get some nitrogen or argon and purge your container. This will actually work.

Does anyone know what courier Badger and Dodo use? First time buying from them directly via webstore and nothing since I had my shipping email last Wednesday. I've tried contacting them but no joy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Talguetler wrote: »
    Does anyone know what courier Badger and Dodo use? First time buying from them directly via webstore and nothing since I had my shipping email last Wednesday. I've tried contacting them but no joy there.

Mine was with fastways, im in co cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

DPD for Dublin I'm sure

ah apologies, it wasn't you personally i was chuckling at. i have a few hobbies, i am big into my audio gear as well, and i was chuclking more at the fact that no matter what the subject, as soon as subjective opinions are introduced, then there will be arguements about what one person believes works versus another, and those positions will be defended stoutly. audio or coffee (or any other subject), the same thing always happens

you have no need to defend nor prove that freezing your coffee improves it for you. and it's not our place to argue with you that it doesn't. but the same applies to any other theory that people believe in, including fancy storage containers.

i wish i'd always seen it this way, i almost got banned from boards a long time ago for arguing whether expensiive audio cables make a difference or not. i still have my view on that, but at least with age came some ability to accept that if someone else sees it differently then all the best to them.

didn't mean any insult. apologies if it came across that way

No worries. We have simmilar hobbies, in fact, as near as I can judge, we are practically neighbours. Isn't the Aldi a nice addition? ;)

I am also into HiFi, but more as a user than tweaker (B&W 802 Nautilus, etc) and I too got into trouble by challenging someone's subjective opinion being touted as fact (and you still can't hear a difference between uncompreesed and lightly compressed, you bleep). Cables I also have nothing but disdain for - funny how recording studios don't use $40 K cables when recording and making the stuff.

It will take me a couple of months+ to get through 3 Kg, hence why I freeze, but I agree it's not necessary if you are buying once a month or more frequently. The freezing doesn't improve the coffee, but I believe it likely counters the slight loss of freshness you might otherwise get with prolonged storage.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Thinking of picking up the Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel. Anyone know what delivery time is? I'm in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

CWF wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up the Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel. Anyone know what delivery time is? I'm in Swords.

Normally the next day, they deliver themselves in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I’m the same. I ordered at the weekend but usually at this stage I’d expect a tracking number from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ordered from Bell Lane yesterday at 3pm, delivered today at 2pm. Roast date 21/01.

Thanks to all who replied.
    barrac wrote: »
    I’m the same. I ordered at the weekend but usually at this stage I’d expect a tracking number from them.

Got a response back late yesterday, a bit strange. Looks like it might be posted today, maybe.

• Advertisement

same issue with Ponaire, ordered at the weekend, it's only a few km from me so i usually call over to them when i need coffee, but with lockdown...

tracking number stiill showing as info received at head office, looks like it hasn't been picked up yet. i'm on my last hopper of coffee...getting worried.

would suggest it's a DPD, not the shops that are at fault

No worries. We have simmilar hobbies, in fact, as near as I can judge, we are practically neighbours. Isn't the Aldi a nice addition? ;)

I am also into HiFi, but more as a user than tweaker (B&W 802 Nautilus, etc) and I too got into trouble by challenging someone's subjective opinion being touted as fact (and you still can't hear a difference between uncompreesed and lightly compressed, you bleep). Cables I also have nothing but disdain for - funny how recording studios don't use $40 K cables when recording and making the stuff.

It will take me a couple of months+ to get through 3 Kg, hence why I freeze, but I agree it's not necessary if you are buying once a month or more frequently. The freezing doesn't improve the coffee, but I believe it likely counters the slight loss of freshness you might otherwise get with prolonged storage.

Cheers.
    we are indeed, would guess at where you live given the englisdh version of your username.

we've similar taste in speakers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

Fastway for me last time. They left it by the back door but I got no notification that it was delivered and I think it was there 24 hours before I noticed.

same issue with Ponaire, ordered at the weekend, it's only a few km from me so i usually call over to them when i need coffee, but with lockdown...

tracking number stiill showing as info received at head office, looks like it hasn't been picked up yet. i'm on my last hopper of coffee...getting worried.

would suggest it's a DPD, not the shops that are at fault

If your order doesn't get there in time, PM me and you can have some of the 2 Kg of lovely Indian Cloud Mountain that just arrived. A good stand in for Ponaire's Sumatran in strength, but smoother with a long aftertaste.

My user name doesn't relate to anywhere local (didn't know there was anywhere?).

If your order doesn't get there in time, PM me and you can have some of the 2 Kg of lovely Indian Cloud Mountain that just arrived. A good stand in for Ponaire's Sumatran in strength, but smoother with a long aftertaste.

My user name doesn't relate to anywhere local (didn't know there was anywhere?).

cheers for the offer, should be arriving today so i have enough to get me through, i do appreciate it though

my collection of old irish teachers would not be impressed, even though i know cnoc is hill (went to school in birdhill so had to know the irish off by heart) i translated the cnocbui as yellowbridge and figured you were around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

mossie wrote: »
    Fastway for me last time. They left it by the back door but I got no notification that it was delivered and I think it was there 24 hours before I noticed.

Similar bad experience both the past 2 months with fastway - it's putting me off using Badger & Dodo tbh. Thinking of emailing them to suggest they consider a change of courier, is that OTT?

An Post, DPD etc are all much better I find

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Similar bad experience both the past 2 months with fastway - it's putting me off using Badger & Dodo tbh. Thinking of emailing them to suggest they consider a change of courier, is that OTT?

An Post, DPD etc are all much better I find

I stopped using a wine company because they use Fastway. After they told me a large order had dispatched nothing happened so I contacted the shop. They told me they'd entered it on Fastway's system but Fastway hadn't picked it up two days later. They said there was nothing they could do. I said that was fine but I wouldn't be ordering from them again.

DPD, UPS and an Post have their issues but you have some idea where your stuff is.

I'd email them.

My order turned up this morning. Not too impressed with the B&D customer service. Don't think this had anything to do with Fastway, the package was only sent on Tuesday after I contacted them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I normally run a million miles from Fastway, but my recent local fastway delivery woman is bloody excellent. I feel like she's doing it since the pandemic and just doing it well. Local DPD delivery guy is great too.

If it's from a Depot in Dublin though, I won't use them because I think things go wrong there a lot of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Was onto dpd today for a separate delivery issue.

They said they are actually redirecting resources to support front line activities which means some planned collections etc are being pushed out.

Hard to argue and honestly might be part of the issue.

Strange times. Will say bell lane do next day with 1-2 day since roast no issue. They have 20% off at the moment too.

Advertisement