Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I agree re coffee angel but I wish they had more choice on the single origin front.

So do i, but the Rioki is so good from my memory that maybe they don't need.

That they don't roast themselves probably plays into that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I agree re coffee angel but I wish they had more choice on the single origin front.

I was just after a KG of espresso beans so should just have gone with the forsa Gala.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Finally took a chance on some Ponaire. Hope it's as good as it's made out, pricey enough.

Went for some Colombian and Ethiopian special

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

OK for someone looking to buy beans for the sage barista express... Are beans just beans?
    As in I see mention of espresso beans etc

My go to would be to buy a bag of beans just off 3fe or West Cork etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BKWDR wrote: »
    OK for someone looking to buy beans for the sage barista express... Are beans just beans?

Beans are just beans. You grind them up and pour or push hot water through them and you get coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Ended up getting some Full Circle beans last week when I had to go into the office. Their decaf is €11 for 250g (Colombian) and makes a nice cup through the V60 or Wave. I also picked up 250g of their Guatamalan beans which wouldn't be my normal preference and they have been amazing brewed simply in the V60. A really nice change of coffee pace for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Two Fifty Square €52 a kilo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

BKWDR wrote: »

Get blends to kick off with. Find them less of a pain in the ass.

Plenty of options, 3fe momentum was grand but pricey for what it is, guess they have the coffee shop name to justify it.

dubstepper wrote: »
    Two Fifty Square €52 a kilo :eek:

Now, now, remember to support local Irish roasters, no matter the cost, even if it is €25.12 per Kg in the UK: https://shop.caffia.com/product/rwanda-red-bourbon/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

cnocbui wrote: »
    Now, now, remember to support local Irish roasters, no matter the cost, even if it is €25.12 per Kg in the UK: https://shop.caffia.com/product/rwanda-red-bourbon/

Unreal. I really like Two Fifty coffee, but not at any cost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not exactlly a like for like comparison.

If you are just looking for the cheapest beans you can do a lot better than €50/kg.

Plenty of options in the €25-30 range and good quality too.

Bailies/coffee Angel/Badger/WCC etc.

adrian522 wrote: »

If you are just looking for the cheapest beans you can do a lot better than €50/kg.

I am not knowledgeable enough to appreciate the difference between the two coffees in question; what makes the twofiftysquare offering better?

adrian522 wrote: »

Most Irish roasters have kilo for under 30 (add on 5 euro delivery)

Unless your going for a particular single origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You can get some great deals on kilos of single origins too, I got a kilo of Ethiopia Foge from Roasted Brown this morning for 34 quid delivered.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am not knowledgeable enough to appreciate the difference between the two coffees in question; what makes the twofiftysquare offering better?

I don't really know anything about the link you posted but with two fifty they do tend to be expensive but anything I've had from there has been very good.

If you are looking for something in the €25-€30 range though there are plenty of options from Irish roasters, you don't need to go to the UK to find very good beans in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Get blends to kick off with. Find them less of a pain in the ass.

Fairly new to this, why are blends less of a pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

colly10 wrote: »
    Fairly new to this, why are blends less of a pain?

They're not. He's talking through the orifice giving him pain.

They're not. He's talking through the orifice giving him pain.

I honestly find they hit the mark easier for me and stay there - less adjustment seems to be needed...

Personal opinion is all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I can see what FNF means. I mean, there are some astounding single origins out there but they can be a commitment (See some WCC fruity ethiopians), especially for those getting into coffee. A well regarded blend from a decent roastery is a decent place to start. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

nothing wrong with liking either or both!

I'm always interested in seeing what a roastery will blend together

some of the best coffees i've had have been blends, Red Brick and Sweetshop from Square Mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 giveitbeans

Tried out McCabes coffee 4 packs of different dark roast for 35EUR (incl 5EUR for delivery). Got them next day and was impressed. Going to try the light roast Kenyan with 85 cup score next only 26 (incl delivery). Anyone else tried McCabes? Whatya think? They seem a bit cheaper than other roasters

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Tried out McCabes coffee 4 packs of different dark roast for 35EUR (incl 5EUR for delivery). Got them next day and was impressed. Going to try the light roast Kenyan with 85 cup score next only 26 (incl delivery). Anyone else tried McCabes? Whatya think? They seem a bit cheaper than other roasters

I use McCabes a bit. Like a lot of people I started buying beans as an interest over the lockdown. I looked at different companies websites for their eco and social impact - fair pricing for farmers etc. McCabes stacked up well against the rest so I started with them.

They have two sections of beans on their website blends and speciality. Over the past few months I have tried all the beans in the speciality range.

I found some of the light roasts a little bland but I really enjoy their medium organic Brazilian and their dark roast Brazilian.

I'm having a cup of their medium Brazilian now done in a moka pot. Very nice.

Delivery is quick and roast dates have always been same day as dispatch.

I tend to shop around and try other roasters, particularly B&D for their decaf and WCC but I always have a bag or two McCabes in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

have a subscription with bell lane
    Coffee arrived yesterday with a roast date of 17 Feb

Cant get any fresher than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dan_brod

I recommend Roasted Brown.

When first lockdown hit, they redirected coffee bean sales toward the cafes they supply. Was really decent of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

Dan_brod wrote: »

When first lockdown hit, they redirected coffee bean sales toward the cafes they supply. Was really decent of them.

I've had Roasted Brown in a lovely cafe called Dodi in Lahinch and always meant to order some at home. Any particular recommendations?

Won't be back to Lahinch anytime soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Dan_brod wrote: »

Looks good. Another one to add to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

This morning Coffee Angel delivered bags of Póg Mhilis and some decaf (sugar cane process is our preferred tasting decaf!) both roasted on the 17th Feb. That's some turn around if it's coming from the North. Póg Mhilis blend is a great cup! Incredibly juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Went for Art of Coffee for my latest order. Giving Ponaire a steer as I was getting fed up with their lack of re-sealable bags.

Enjoy the B&D stuff, probably all a little on the lighter side for me though, maybe just the beans i got as i winged it a bit. Their Ethiopian was my favourite in the end, very enjoyable.

So onwards i go with Art of Coffee for my next kilo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Talguetler wrote: »
    This morning Coffee Angel delivered bags of Póg Mhilis and some decaf (sugar cane process is our preferred tasting decaf!) both roasted on the 17th Feb. That's some turn around if it's coming from the North. Póg Mhilis blend is a great cup! Incredibly juicy.

Oh wow they have new blends! The Su Beatha looks nice :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Opened my Maher's French Blend. Not impressed so far. Tastes over-roasted.

Advertisement