Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

25g filtler in the morning usually / 430ishml of coffee. Have some in the keep cup then keep it hot zojirishi flask and drink throughout day.

Bag lasts 10 days. Some days I do 30g so get about a week.

Aeropress and different bean 15g/250 ml in afternoon sometime.

I'd be a little under a kilo a month I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

I've opened a few bags from my recent order to Art Of Coffee, must say I'm really impressed. I'm really enjoying them.

I tend to think of coffee as falling into one of two groups - traditional light/medium/rich roast taste profiles or more modern lighter complex tasting coffee. I don't see one as being better than the other and enjoy both types of coffee.

I'd put the Art of Coffee beans into the more traditional flavour camp.

The stand outs for me have been the Indonesian , Nina and El Salvador. Rich and smooth.

Wondering how others found them?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Anyone have recommendations for beans for an espresso machine? Just received my new Rancilio Silvia at the weekend and not getting much that's drinkable from my single origin beans so far! Obvs gonna take a bit more practice but I'm guessing that an espresso blend might suit me more in the beginning.

Was thinking about Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel... Any other ones I should be looking at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Forsa Gala is what I'm currently using, also good is Sam from cloudpicker, Jam Jar from Badger and Dodo and also Candy Floss from Badger & Dodo.

Bell Lane have some espresso blends but they can be hit and miss.

Some good beans from West Cork coffee, 3FE (momentum is good), Bailies etc. Loads of options to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'm not sure Candy Floss would be best suited to espresso

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Forsa Gala is what I'm currently using, also good is Sam from cloudpicker, Jam Jar from Badger and Dodo and also Candy Floss from Badger & Dodo.

Bell Lane have some espresso blends but they can be hit and miss.

Some good beans from West Cork coffee, 3FE (momentum is good), Bailies etc. Loads of options to be honest.

Thanks for that, so far I've tried Rioki AA from Coffee Angel and Frinsa estate from Cloud picker as well as some older blended beans from Bell Lane. The Bell Lane actually turned out best for me but I'm still messing around with grind settings and am pretty new to the machine so things can only get better.

Am I right in saying a darker roast would suit the machine better? Or at least be more forgiving? Not as dark as French roast but darker than your usual...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

not irish, but won't go far wrong with Square Mile's Red Brick. Few places stock it. It's my afternoon bean at the moment. Aeropress + a little milk. Everything else is v60

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I've opened a few bags from my recent order to Art Of Coffee, must say I'm really impressed. I'm really enjoying them.

I tend to think of coffee as falling into one of two groups - traditional light/medium/rich roast taste profiles or more modern lighter complex tasting coffee. I don't see one as being better than the other and enjoy both types of coffee.

I'd put the Art of Coffee beans into the more traditional flavour camp.

The stand outs for me have been the Indonesian , Nina and El Salvador. Rich and smooth.

Wondering how others found them?

Yeah, El Salvador is a unique taste, stands out for me over B&D blackwater blend. I’ve to dial down my grinder to No 2 in Sage Pro to get a good even shot whereas B&D is No 6 on grinder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for that, so far I've tried Rioki AA from Coffee Angel and Frinsa estate from Cloud picker as well as some older blended beans from Bell Lane. The Bell Lane actually turned out best for me but I'm still messing around with grind settings and am pretty new to the machine so things can only get better.

Am I right in saying a darker roast would suit the machine better? Or at least be more forgiving? Not as dark as French roast but darker than your usual...

I think for espresso I just look for tasting notes that hint at sweetness or nutty flavours and avoid more citrus and fruity flavours.

So basically it depends on your own tastes but the Sweet/nutty notes are a good place to start.

For single origin, Braziallan beans tend to make good espresso, central American beans too and obviously espresso blends should work fairly well.

For espresso avoid the more delicate flavors, these would be more suitable for filter brewing.

I'm not sure Candy Floss would be best suited to espresso

Just looked it up and its actually called Fairy Floss. I think it works ok as espresso but is not your typical espresso type flavour I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Anyone have recommendations for beans for an espresso machine? Just received my new Rancilio Silvia at the weekend and not getting much that's drinkable from my single origin beans so far! Obvs gonna take a bit more practice but I'm guessing that an espresso blend might suit me more in the beginning.

Was thinking about Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel... Any other ones I should be looking at?

Welcome to the world of espresso. I bought a Rancilio Silvia in September so I’m 6 months ahead of you. Any of the beans recommended above would be decent for you. If you are in Dublin, Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel is really handy as they offer same day/next day delivery.

My advice would be to pick one bean and stick with it for the moment as you get used to the machine. There are a lot of variables with the grinder/tamp/boiler temperature without bringing different beans in to the mix - each bean will be slightly different to dial in. As you practice the shots will get better!

I’m sure you have read about temperature surfing. The Silvia is a bit finicky so you will need to build in a routine around temp surfing. There are plenty of videos and blogs. Pick one routine and stick to it.

You may have read about installing a PID. I did this a few months ago and it has been a game changer. No need for temperature surfing once the PID is installed.

There is a thread on Boards for the Silvia which is a good place for any questions you have.

Welcome to the world of espresso. I bought a Rancilio Silvia in September so I’m 6 months ahead of you. Any of the beans recommended above would be decent for you. If you are in Dublin, Forsa Gala from Coffee Angel is really handy as they offer same day/next day delivery.

My advice would be to pick one bean and stick with it for the moment as you get used to the machine. There are a lot of variables with the grinder/tamp/boiler temperature without bringing different beans in to the mix - each bean will be slightly different to dial in. As you practice the shots will get better!

I’m sure you have read about temperature surfing. The Silvia is a bit finicky so you will need to build in a routine around temp surfing. There are plenty of videos and blogs. Pick one routine and stick to it.

You may have read about installing a PID. I did this a few months ago and it has been a game changer. No need for temperature surfing once the PID is installed.

There is a thread on Boards for the Silvia which is a good place for any questions you have.

Cheers for that. Yeah, it's a fabulous piece of kit. I'm going to see how it goes without the PID for a while. Did you install it yourself by the way?

It took about a week to arrive so I spent the intervening period obsessively watching videos to see how it's done! It's a different ball game once its actually on front of you though! I'm enjoying the process so far if not all the coffee ðŸ˜.

Good advice re sticking to one bean at first. I might go with the coffee angel first. Definitely a bit of a learning curve but as you say, start with a routine and stick with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Cheers for that. Yeah, it's a fabulous piece of kit. I'm going to see how it goes without the PID for a while. Did you install it yourself by the way?..

Yeah I did. My DIY skills wouldn’t be great but once you take your time with it it’s not too bad. It makes a huge difference as the temperature swings on the Silvia are the big variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I am not really digging the art of coffee beans but I use a clever dripper so that may be the issue - the roast with the monsoon malabar was too dark for me. The indonesian is working our a good bit better, but still not the kind of thing I would rebuy but it's a personal flavour thing more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

A new has cafe opened in the Cherry Tree Walkinstown serving a Colombian from Imbibe and I’m impressed, nice sweetness and apple kick to it . Might grab a bag when I run low at home. Free delivery for orders over 20 euro too which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Can anybody help me figure out l something. I generally use a bit of vanilla soya milk with my coffee, heat it up before adding coffee from my coffee machine (that grinds beans and makes the coffee.

For months I used the same coffee at the same settings (grind the beans the smallest for strong flavour. In the last few months I’ve branched out and been trying beans from Irish shops mentioned in these threads.

However it seems that for some reason when I’m adding the newer coffee to my milk it sometimes curdles up into small weird bits. This only happens generally with some of the new beans I’ve been trying. Can’t think of why. Should I be not grinding beans as small or is there some beans that have a reaction to certain milks?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

For those mentioning buying from EU/UK are you paying over 40 a kilo? I checked out some of the better known roasters outside Ireland but with delivery it works out quite expensive. Is that what people are paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dubstepper wrote: »
    For those mentioning buying from EU/UK are you paying over 40 a kilo? I checked out some of the better known roasters outside Ireland but with delivery it works out quite expensive. Is that what people are paying?

No. Last lot of 3 Kg worked out at €29.07 per kg including postage. The lot before that was €31.62

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

cnocbui wrote: »
    No. Last lot of 3 Kg worked out at €29.07 per kg including postage. The lot before that was €31.62

Where you get that?

I just ordered from Bean In Dingle, they have a work from home package, 4x250g bags of whatever of their blends for 40 delivered.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Where you get that?

I just ordered from Bean In Dingle, they have a work from home package, 4x250g bags of whatever of their blends for 40 delivered.

Most recently was from here: https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop

They have a flat €5 delivery fee so if you ordered more than 3 Kg it would be even slightly cheaper. One of the three types I ordered was a bit long in the tooth re roast date, but tastes fine. The Pearl mountain is gorgeous, which is how I found them as I was trying to track down a source of it. It's the same as Ratnagiri Estate that Velo sell. I'll very likely order it again, but I'll ask about roast date beforehand, just in case.

The other place I regularly buy from is Mondo Del Café, which is in Luxembourg but a stones throw from Germany and seems more like it's German and some tax angle going on, but I digress: they have a wide variety to choose from. Even with a €13.7 delivery fee for up to 2.5 Kg, their bean price is low enough to make them economical. The beans are consistently good. Unfortunately you have to restrict an order to 2.25 kg as the packaging bumps it into the next postage price bracket. https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Anyone here have experience using a delonghi dedica?

Just wondering if anyone had advice on cheaper descaler and also single wall filters?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Unfortunately you have to restrict an order to 2.25 kg as the packaging bumps it into the next postage price bracket. https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/
    It's only an extra €1.90 shipping if you go over 2.5kgs, so not too bad if buying in larger quantities. Might give them a go for my next green bean order.
    Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (green) for €13.30/kg (plus delivery is pretty good) - typically €20/kg elsewhere. Factoring in delivery, you can get 5kg of different green coffees for €15/kg (which is still about the same price/kg when buying 3kg green from CoffeeMojo).

I'm thinking of getting some green beans from them next order, to play with. I was thinking I'd try microwaving some a bit first and then pop them in a wok.

I'm thinking of getting some green beans from them next order, to play with. I was thinking I'd try microwaving some a bit first and then pop them in a wok.

Lads when ye talk about green coffee... What are we talking about?

Like single origin,i get that.

Different blends, I get that...

Lads when ye talk about green coffee... What are we talking about?

Like single origin,i get that.

Different blends, I get that...

Raw green coffee beans you roast yourself.

Raw green coffee beans you roast yourself.

Sound.

Sounds like hard work for a bit of Joe... :)

Sound.

Krusty_Clown has posted about doing it and it doesn't sound like particularly hard work and a lot easier than some things I cook which can take hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Sound.

it's like anything really, coffee is a proper rabbit hole of a hobby for some people.

Some people are happy to drink Maxw**l H**se, some people are happy to use pods, some people are happy to buy preground coffee, some people are happy to use blade grinders, some people buy a load of drip and immersion devices, some people spend a couple of grand on machinery.

The Gold Blend Brigade would probably say the same thing you've just said about people who use an aeropress instead of instant, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Drumpot wrote: »
    Can anybody help me figure out l something. I generally use a bit of vanilla soya milk with my coffee, heat it up before adding coffee from my coffee machine (that grinds beans and makes the coffee.

For months I used the same coffee at the same settings (grind the beans the smallest for strong flavour. In the last few months I’ve branched out and been trying beans from Irish shops mentioned in these threads.

However it seems that for some reason when I’m adding the newer coffee to my milk it sometimes curdles up into small weird bits. This only happens generally with some of the new beans I’ve been trying. Can’t think of why. Should I be not grinding beans as small or is there some beans that have a reaction to certain milks?

I had this issue with oat milk and coffee made in the aeropress. Apparently it is to do with the coffee being too acidic.

• Advertisement

it's like anything really, coffee is a proper rabbit hole of a hobby for some people.

Some people are happy to drink Maxw**l H**se, some people are happy to use pods, some people are happy to buy preground coffee, some people are happy to use blade grinders, some people buy a load of drip and immersion devices, some people spend a couple of grand on machinery.

The Gold Blend Brigade would probably say the same thing you've just said about people who use an aeropress instead of instant, for example

Yah its all relative !

Advertisement