Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Bought from Ariosa the other day. No roast date on packaging just a best before date. Haven't tried it yet but I expected more accurate labelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

any Irish suppliers of decaf green beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Bought from Ariosa the other day. No roast date on packaging just a best before date. Haven't tried it yet but I expected more accurate labelling.

While the beans are probably relatively fresh and everyone will say it's about the taste.

I do find this annoying, even Ponaire only have roast month (might just be a kg bag thing) - we are paying for a premium product (mind you i find it good value now that i don't use the coffee shop) and a little bit of information that discerns them from the supermarket shelf brands is not included.

Was going to give them a go but honestly this might put me off. Still have a few more cloudpicker coffees to try.

Enjoyed HENRY in milk based coffees

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

While the beans are probably relatively fresh and everyone will say it's about the taste.

I do find this annoying, even Ponaire only have roast month (might just be a kg bag thing) - we are paying for a premium product (mind you i find it good value now that i don't use the coffee shop) and a little bit of information that discerns them from the supermarket shelf brands is not included.

Was going to give them a go but honestly this might put me off. Still have a few more cloudpicker coffees to try.

Enjoyed HENRY in milk based coffees

Just to add a bit of balance, I got an Ariosa order last month and the roast dates were on all 4 bags I ordered. It's on the tag just above the best before date. Dates were that week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

breeno wrote: »
    Just to add a bit of balance, I got an Ariosa order last month and the roast dates were on all 4 bags I ordered. It's on the tag just above the best before date. Dates were that week too.

I also got roast dates on Ariosa bags.

Re. Ponaire, they put a batch number on each bag so I don't see why they wouldn't just put the date on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Trying the lounge blend from Art of Coffee. Jury still out but not bad.

dubstepper wrote: »
    Trying the lounge blend from Art of Coffee. Jury still out but not bad.

It's my least favourite, fusion and smooth are much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I have to correct my original post. The roast date is indeed located where you say it is. Apologies to Ariosa.
    However it could be displayed in a more clearcut manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Has anyone here ever ordered from Java The Hut based in Balbriggan? My friend ordered 2 bags from them recently and they charged for the full order but only sent 1 bag of coffee. Despite emailing them/DMing them on Instagram they haven't responded at all. Tbh I had never heard of them but she asked me to take a look. Anyone have any other experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mrm

It's my least favourite, fusion and smooth are much nicer

Agreed re Lounge, but still decent. Fusion, Nina and Yirgacheffe I found very nice. Really impressed with AoC offerings. Will definitely be going back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

I was in my local Super Valu earlier and they had a Santa Ana espresso roasted by a company in Meath on sale. 500g for €10. What was interesting was the roast date was 08/04/21 which is very good for a supermarket offering. I have too much at home right now so didn't buy it but may try it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I was in my local Super Valu earlier and they had a Santa Ana espresso roasted by a company in Meath on sale. 500g for €10. What was interesting was the roast date was 08/04/21 which is very good for a supermarket offering. I have too much at home right now so didn't buy it but may try it next time.

I think it's Essence coffee - some SVs do it too though have never seen as fresh a roast date as that!! Good find.
    https://www.essencecoffee.ie/product-category/coffee-beans/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mrm wrote: »
    Agreed re Lounge, but still decent. Fusion, Nina and Yirgacheffe I found very nice. Really impressed with AoC offerings. Will definitely be going back to them.

Smooth, Lounge and Nina are my favourites.

Will need to bulk up my Smooth order. Pissing though it! It's so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 3kidsnomoney

I’m relatively new to the home coffee scene ( thank you COVID)but have spent my fortune at various cafes! Had a holiday in Mayo last year and picked up some bean west , have been buying their Panama which is amazing but website is saying out of stock. I like coffee that doesn’t have that green flavour that seems to be trendy. Anyone have a bean west or other Irish roaster recommendation? Or any other roaster with a Panama? I might go for one of their selection boxes to try a few diff coffees but happy to try other roasters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,035 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’m relatively new to the home coffee scene ( thank you COVID)but have spent my fortune at various cafes! Had a holiday in Mayo last year and picked up some bean west , have been buying their Panama which is amazing but website is saying out of stock. I like coffee that doesn’t have that green flavour that seems to be trendy. Anyone have a bean west or other Irish roaster recommendation? Or any other roaster with a Panama? I might go for one of their selection boxes to try a few diff coffees but happy to try other roasters too.

The roaster du jour on here is Art of Coffee in Carrick on Shannon.

https://artofcoffee.ie/

I can't fault anything I've gotten from them, especially seeing as I'm going through a blend phase.

I also have to big up their teas. As well. They'll be getting a new order this week from me anyway.

Ponaire, Maher's and WCC have been my go tos.

WCC is great for a quirky single origin. Had an Indonesian (BENER MERIAH, Aceh, Northern Sumatra) from there last year that was hands down the best coffee I've ever drank.

Have a root through some roasters and through up suggestions that intrigue you. Chances are someone on here has had it.

I'm on the bean West Tanzanian atm - it's nice - a very strong, chocolatey, dark coffee if that's your vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I have bi-weekly subscription with Velo that i'm happy with but am looking into what's next. Just had a few questions on subscriptions if anyone could give their 2 cent, thanks -

Price
    I've seen subscriptions of 70 euro for 6 bags, but when I look at the coffee they have on sale, 70 is the most expensive combination I can make out of the bags they sell :) Subscriptions in general don't seem to be great value

Confusing Setup
    B&D seem to be popular but I don't see anywhere I can select the subscription period when choosing their subscriptions

Is there anyone you'd really recommend a subscription from or am I probably better off just buying bags of whatever I see recommended as I need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve never signed up to a subscription but agree that they don’t seem to be great value. We prefer buying kilo bags every month. On month 3 of art of coffee at the moment as it seems to suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was buying kilo bags each month and it was over €30 unless you had a discount or free shipping code, Badger & Dodo worked out at €26 a bag at the time although it's closer to €30 now. Bell Lane subscription is €28.50 Vs €31.10 for a single bag.

An extra €30 a year doesn't sound like much but everything in life is always going up in price, internet, TV, gas/electricity etc, we try to keep costs down where we can. I'm looking at coffee as a monthly luxury expense but it should be seen as a grocery expense. €6.50 a week extra on the food shop isn't a big deal but if I include it with other monthly expenses such as TV and internet I start to worry about the penny pinching so it depends on what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Art of coffee has free shipping over 30 euro so we buy 1 kg bag and one 250 g bag for 32 ish. Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I normally get 3-4 bags and tip over the 30 with the Valrona chocolate.

On the fusion blend now. Not a good pour over, but a very good espresso.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I normally get 3-4 bags and tip over the 30 with the Valrona chocolate.

On the fusion blend now. Not a good pour over, but a very good espresso.

Tried a few of their beans in the clever and didn't like them - I think they may be more set up for espresso like you say in terms of bean choice.

bean west do 1kg for €30 and free delivery too, so a good price point.

In terms of subs, you need to take into account the monthly postage costs so can't just compare the price of a bag x 12.

I like a sub because it is a surprise each month what comes, but always need to supplement it with a few beans from somewhere else, so I still get to choose some of what I like too.

The Badger & Dodo is very confusing now - €36.75 per month with a save up to 15% option that doesn't seem to work for me? Plus as somebody else said, you can't choose the length it just rolls over I think, but I would prefer to pay up front personally, and then it's free for the rest of the sub :p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 3kidsnomoney

colly10 wrote: »
    I have bi-weekly subscription with Velo that i'm happy with but am looking into what's next. Just had a few questions on subscriptions if anyone could give their 2 cent, thanks -

Price
    I've seen subscriptions of 70 euro for 6 bags, but when I look at the coffee they have on sale, 70 is the most expensive combination I can make out of the bags they sell :) Subscriptions in general don't seem to be great value

Confusing Setup
    B&D seem to be popular but I don't see anywhere I can select the subscription period when choosing their subscriptions

Is there anyone you'd really recommend a subscription from or am I probably better off just buying bags of whatever I see recommended as I need them?

I’m feeling very well acquainted with various subscriptions today! I’ve just signed up for a bean west one for 6 months , 1kg for less than €30 a month including delivery. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge now and will follow this thread so I know where to go in 6 months. By the way the sign up was super easy , you select 3,6 or 12 months and either 250g or kg.

Tried a few of their beans in the clever and didn't like them - I think they may be more set up for espresso like you say in terms of bean choice.

The ethiopian were the best in the v60, and I'd get them again. There was another one that I liked too, but can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've just ordered another 3 Kg of Indian Pearl Mountain (Ratnagiri estate). I suppose I've just found what I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheCKid

Have followed this thread for a long-time and got some great recommendations from here. Thanks!

I finally tried the Velo Ratnagiri but it didn't do anything for me. I thought it was pretty average from personal preference.

The 3fe Ethiopian Uraga is the nicest coffee I've tried this year I think, thanks so much for whoever recommended that. Full Circle have had some fantastic Ethiopians too. Also Carrow have some really good selections that I use regularly.

TheCKid wrote: »
    Have followed this thread for a long-time and got some great recommendations from here. Thanks!

I finally tried the Velo Ratnagiri but it didn't do anything for me. I thought it was pretty average from personal preference.

The 3fe Ethiopian Uraga is the nicest coffee I've tried this year I think, thanks so much for whoever recommended that. Full Circle have had some fantastic Ethiopians too. Also Carrow have some really good selections that I use regularly.

It was on sale in Aldi for something like 3.99 a while ago, and I think that's why a few people got it (well me personally) and it was more, not bad for that price, from a supermarket.

I think their standard one that they sell there is fairly awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

You mean the Tandem, I have a bag of that on the go at the moment (wholebean) and think it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Found the same, everyone likes something different but found it dull.
    Liked their Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, Uganda Bukhanakwa and Brazil Eagle Monte Carmelo the best of what i’ve tried from them so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I haven't been buying it from Velo, so maybe there is a difference.

Advertisement