Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Anyroad or Toughroad

Options
  • 09-07-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Another one of those help me decide threads!
    Currently I'm using an ageing Giant FCR 2.5, Tiagra 20 speed.

I'm looking at something that as well as road cycling, I can also take on slightly rougher tracks and at some stages, add panniers for longer trips. I'd rather have a single bike that does everything. I don't like riding with drop bars which is why I went for the FCR.

I'm looking at two options, the Giant Anyroad 2 and the Giant Toughroad SLR GX 2.
    I know they'll both be different to the road bike I'm used to but I'm worried the Toughroad will be a bit too far with 38 tyres rather than 32 on the Anyroad.
    The Toughroad has hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical which I think I'd prefer.

Am I actually going to notice the handling that much between the two bikes?

Is there much of a difference between where I can pick up a Giant and will the price fluctuate between stores? Would I get it somewhere cheaper online and be able to have it shipped? Main reason I ask is that I'm heading to France next month and could have it shipped there for when I arrive.

I'm on short notice to get this organised as I've to have the decision made before Friday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So, any one have either of these bikes that has any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

I was looking at both of these bikes recently but ended up going for a Kelley’s Soot 50:

https://www.bikeexchange.ie/a/gravel-bikes/kellys/dublin/dublin/kellys-soot-50-2018/54930?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cru-rqU3AIVxbTtCh3uhQx0EAAYASAAEgK8evD_BwE

Happy so far with the bike. Shimano 105s and hydraulic disc brakes while it handles well off road. Only annoyance for me is the clicky hub in freewheel however this is just a personal gripe.

Thanks for the reply. Normally not a fan of the syling on the Kellys but that looks nice and dark. Is your definitely hydraulic discs? Spec on website says mechanical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the photo also shows a non-disc bike, so there's no guarantees that's the colour the disc version comes in either.

Also just noticed the Revolt 2 which is also making me think about that one now.

• Advertisement

Has anyone bought from cyclesuperstore.ie on the BTW scheme? They seem to be €180 cheaper than the re sellers here, who say they can't budge on price.

https://www.cyclestore.ie/giant_toughroad_slr_gx_2_sports_hybrid_bike_2018-ID_73229?c=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwspHaBRBFEiwA0eM3kaaTC0M3vq8TNwpf36CyIEVBW2LtHoarat3qIhxqiXsy7GJ8jCun7RoCNkwQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Thats not cyclesuperstore but cyclestore.ie which is just the irish portal for cyclestore.co.uk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Effects wrote: »
    Has anyone bought from cyclesuperstore.ie on the BTW scheme? They seem to be €180 cheaper than the re sellers here, who say they can't budge on price.

https://www.cyclestore.ie/giant_toughroad_slr_gx_2_sports_hybrid_bike_2018-ID_73229?c=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwspHaBRBFEiwA0eM3kaaTC0M3vq8TNwpf36CyIEVBW2LtHoarat3qIhxqiXsy7GJ8jCun7RoCNkwQAvD_BwE

Looks like a fun bike and very low geared which would make it that bit easier for steep off-road and touring. Having Ultegra on my own cross bike, I'd say that cheaper drive train components make sense as you're going to go through them more quickly if you're hitting mud and grit regularly.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Thats not cyclesuperstore but cyclestore.ie which is just the irish portal for cyclestore.co.uk

Yeah, sorry, huried typing!

Will they work for the bike to work scheme though?

smacl wrote: »
    Looks like a fun bike and very low geared which would make it that bit easier for steep off-road and touring. Having Ultegra on my own cross bike, I'd say that cheaper drive train components make sense as you're going to go through them more quickly if you're hitting mud and grit regularly.

The off road use would be about 30% and 70% roads. I just want something that's capable for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm worried the Toughroad will be a bit too far with 38 tyres rather than 32 on the Anyroad.

You can always put narrower tyres on the Toughroad but you cannot put wider tyres on the Anyroad. Wide tyres are much nicer for commuting, touring, off-roading and they're as fast or faster than narrow tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

I got a Giant Revolt 3 the predecessor of the Toughroad a couple of years ago in the Giant store on the Long Mile Road in a September sale and can't complain. I have used the bike for long road and mixed terraine spins with some pretty lumpy tracks on 38mm tires, all good.

I wasn't so sure about the whole drop handlebar thing either at the time but the with flared handlebars and a longer wheel base i settled in straight away.
    My bike has mechanical discs which are fine but i couldnt say if they are any better than rim brakes, if buying again i would go hydraulic.

If you see a Revolt online make sure there is a decent discount as they are discontinued, mine was 25% off as it was the previous years model at the time.

I went out to the store on the longmile road, took it for a test spin and I think I like it. Just need to convince the other half it's ok to spend the extra on top of the BTW scheme!
    They said they can reverse the stem to raise the handlebars a bit, which I think I will have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Roca

Another one of those help me decide threads!
    Currently I'm using an ageing Giant FCR 2.5, Tiagra 20 speed.

I'm looking at something that as well as road cycling, I can also take on slightly rougher tracks and at some stages, add panniers for longer trips. I'd rather have a single bike that does everything. I don't like riding with drop bars which is why I went for the FCR.

I'm looking at two options, the Giant Anyroad 2 and the Giant Toughroad SLR GX 2.
    I know they'll both be different to the road bike I'm used to but I'm worried the Toughroad will be a bit too far with 38 tyres rather than 32 on the Anyroad.
    The Toughroad has hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical which I think I'd prefer.

Am I actually going to notice the handling that much between the two bikes?

Is there much of a difference between where I can pick up a Giant and will the price fluctuate between stores? Would I get it somewhere cheaper online and be able to have it shipped? Main reason I ask is that I'm heading to France next month and could have it shipped there for when I arrive.

I'm on short notice to get this organised as I've to have the decision made before Friday!

But late with this reply as you may have purchased already. I have the 1st edition Toughroad SLR 1. There a super bike. Only draw back is the tyres i find are too wide for the road. Too much resistance..but you can get narrower tyres. I also changed the handlebars to butterfly bars for more holding positions for my hands..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Roca wrote: »
    But late with this reply as you may have purchased already. I have the 1st edition Toughroad SLR 1. There a super bike. Only draw back is the tyres i find are too wide for the road. Too much resistance..but you can get narrower tyres.

Super, fast, comfy tyres...

So I picked the bike up yesterday evening. Had great fun cycling it home. Went into the phoenix park and cycled a bunch of the trails. Inadvertently cycled into a gay cruising spot too!

I got pretty lucky with the timing as the bikes just went on sale and I was able to get the GX1 version for €1,200 where it was €1,500 when I first went to look at the bikes a couple of weeks ago.

I do notice the increase rolling resistance on the road but I'm sure I'll just get used to that. I'll also look into narrower tyres for some stuff.

Now I need to look at booking it on a flight to France in two weeks. As it's new I don't think I could put it in anything other that a hard case so I'll have to try and source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

So I picked the bike up yesterday evening. Had great fun cycling it home. Went into the phoenix park and cycled a bunch of the trails. Inadvertently cycled into a gay cruising spot too!

I got pretty lucky with the timing as the bikes just went on sale and I was able to get the GX1 version for €1,200 where it was €1,500 when I first went to look at the bikes a couple of weeks ago.

I do notice the increase rolling resistance on the road but I'm sure I'll just get used to that. I'll also look into narrower tyres for some stuff.

Now I need to look at booking it on a flight to France in two weeks. As it's new I don't think I could put it in anything other that a hard case so I'll have to try and source one.

Hi Effects! I'm in a similar position to you. I'm looking to buy a bike that will mostly be used for commuting but I'd like the option of going off road too. And it has to be an all in one bike too. I'd love to buy the Fathom but the they only have 1 chainring on the front so I don't think there would be enough range of gears for speed for my daily commute.

My attention has been turned to the Toughroad now. How are you getting on with the range of gears on the GX 1? Are you happy with your decision?

Advertisement