Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need suggestions for next upgrade.

Options
  • 09-07-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Currently running two monitors, playing games is what the comp is used for, BF1 PUBG, and BF5 in October. Budget E200.

Comp runs games fine, but not on max settings, BF1 60fps no problem, but I do want to start streaming, and I am experiencing lag/slowdown. Below is my spec...

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz(Bloomfield)
    MoBo : Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    GPU x 2 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti & AMD Radeon HD 5770 Series
    RAM : 12 GBytes Corsair DDR3
    Cooling : Corsair H50 Liquid CPU Cooler
    Power : 700w

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Start with GPU.

There's an R9 Nano on Adverts for €220 https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/r9-nano-4gb/15749939

If that's gone by tomorrow, look for GTX 1060 6Gb > R9 390 > GTX 980/970

Sell the 750 Ti & 5770 (€75 & €50 ish) then use those proceeds to buy a capture card OR upgrade the CPU & motherboard to a more modern i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'm not sure how or why you are running a 750Ti and 5770 side by side. As Kiki said, sell both and invest in the GPU. We are expecting price drops around August as Nvidia seem to be planning to announce their new series of GPU, if you can wait that long.
    You would be able to stream using a GPU encoding through OBS with Nvidia's NVENC or AMD's AMF Encoder (I think this is a plugin) once you upgrade. Using CPU encoding might be too taxing on your 930.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I was thinking my motherboard/CPU is my major bottleneck. Graphics seems to be fine running on the 750. Is my frame drop while streaming due to the GPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Everything needs an upgrade to be honest. That i7 is very old, still a great performer considering it's age but at the end of the day it's an 8 year old processor.

The GTX750Ti is also bottom of the barrell these days.

If 200 if your limit, then just get a better graphics card like a GTX1060 3GB and make sure that i7 is overclocked as good as you can get it.

Realistically, for what you want, you're long overdue a new PC but you'd want to set aside about 700-800.

Maybe consider just selling the whole PC as is for 250-300 and up your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm not to up on overclocking, and havent done it before. The RAM is recent enough, and I'm using SSDs for all storage. CPU cooler is good for a few years at least, fitted into HAF 922 case, with lots of cooling.

I'll try selling the graphics cards, see what I'm left with, but afraid to further bottleneck the processor, If I blow my budget on GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well the problem is your budget is very small, and your CPU and GPU are both really outdated (but the GPU especially).

Read up on overclocking, overclock your i7, and a GPU upgrade will do for now. Depending on the games, yes, it'll still bottleneck to varying degrees (esp if you're streaming too), but at least you'll be able to run games at high/ultra. The 750Ti can barely play the latest games at low settings 60fps at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Well the problem is your budget is very small, and your CPU and GPU are both really outdated (but the GPU especially).

Read up on overclocking, overclock your i7, and a GPU upgrade will do for now. Depending on the games, yes, it'll still bottleneck to varying degrees (esp if you're streaming too), but at least you'll be able to run games at high/ultra. The 750Ti can barely play the latest games at low settings 60fps at this stage.

To be honest with the budget of 200 the is nothing he can do. He can overclock it to bits, but that is not going to help him either.

You would need at least new mobo, ram,cpu and gpu if you want to start playing and streaming at the same time with decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

i7-930 is still a 4core-8thread CPU.

Overclock it to 3.5-4.0GHz and it'll run any title at 60fps no problem.
    OP has a GPU bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Get a Xeon X5660 and overclock it to 4.2GHz they do that very easy and can go higher. You can get 4.6GHz very easily for benchmarks but you need good cooling for daily use.

It is a 6 core 12 thread CPU and when overclocked they perform the same as the i7 990X which is the top of the line for the x58 platform. The only difference is the 990X is multiplier unlocked and also RAM multiplier unlocked also if you were to run 2000MHz RAM.

With the X5660 just set the bclk to 200 and multi to 21 and turn off turbo and set the voltage.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xxeon+x5660.TRS0&_nkw=xeon+x5660&_sacat=0

Advertisement