Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thread in clothes sharp and cutting skin

• 10-07-2018 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is it just me?

I am increasingly finding that the stitching in some garments is causing me serious problems. It is an issue with the thread in seams rather than the material itself and it feels like having razor sharp wire cutting me. To me the thread feels like very fine fishing line rather than normal thread.

It does not cause a rash with itch such as in a contact allergy, and once the clothing is removed the problem is gone (unlike my experience of allergies where the itch continues after the cause is removed), but it causes significant irritation and actual scratches. Sometimes it only occurs after the garment has been washed so trying it on doesn't guarantee avoiding the problem. The thread seems normal at first but after washing is like fishing line - almost like the little plastic wire that holds on a price tag.

This first started around 3/4 years ago only with M&S jeans. I dumped them all and problem solved until the past few months where I'm now having this issue with many new items. It's an expensive problem! Jeans, tops, cardigans from various brands are affected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If its only happening after you wash your clothes could it be the detergent youre using or something in your washing machine?
    Ive never had this problem with clothes, my mother regularly shops in M&S for clothes and she has a skin condition making her incredibly sensitive, if she was having a problem with clothing she would have mentioned it. Have you asked friends/family if they have similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Nobody else I've asked has had the same problem but they agree that the thread on the affected clothing also feels sharp to them. It's not only caused by washing - some items are like that right away but I just don't buy them. For example, a top in Oasis the other day - felt it straight away when I tried it on. But a top I bought in Next last month has now started scratching my skin after a few washes so I'll have to bin it. €40 down the drain.

I can only use one detergent due to allergies (Fairy Non-bio). All my family use it and none of them are affected and also most of my own clothes are not affected. I regularly wash my clothes in three different washing machines as I'm living between three houses at the moment. I don't know if that could cause it but others who use the machines aren't having any problems.

I always have to remove labels at neck and waist of clothes. I have to check before buying that they are easily removed.

I wish it was just the labels! It's the whole seams. So in jeans it's all the way down the sides of each leg for example, and around the waistband. And in a top it's all the way round the neck line and down each side and each sleeve. I did initially try sticking zinc oxide tape down all the seams to avoid throwing out expensive jeans but had to admit defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think what you're talking about is a light, clear plastic tape that's used to reinforce seams. I've noticed it particularly around the shoulder seams of tops, and it seems to harden/sharpen over time. I've had to throw out a couple of cheap pyjama tops because the tape seems to get sharp and brittle after they've been dried in the tumble dryer (I don't put most of my day clothes in the dryer). I've also noticed the clear plastic 'gut' thread being used along with regular thread on seams - I presume it's to add strength, but it also makes them itchy and unpleasant to wear!
    So as you say, it sounds like an irritation thing rather than an allergy.
    Washing at low temperatures and not using the dryer should help. You could try avoiding touching these seams when ironing too?

• Advertisement

Yes dee_mc - the thread is like clear plastic! I haven't noticed the clear tape but perhaps that has been there too. Unfortunately it hasn't just appeared in cheap throwaway bits - a pair of 7forallMankind jeans went in the bin after 6 weeks.

I wash at 30 and don't have a tumble dryer so it can't be that. I rarely iron but I'll take care to avoid seams when I do.

It's as if they are using this plastic thread more and more. Only new items of clothing are affected (other than the M&S jeans from a few years ago).

Advertisement