Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I started going to circuit training classes in January, 1-2 times a weeks to start and now I'm up to 3-4 classes. I didn't lose a pound in this time, but this week I started looking at diet and began intermittent fasting. Since Monday I have lost 4lbs. I give myself an 8-9 hour window each day to eat, and I'm finding it very easy to do. I'm eating well, not hungry much outside those hours, and I'm don't find myself obsessing about food. Last night after a class, I had a fruit/protein shake, but felt a bit hungry outside the eating window, so I had one slice of bread with some chicken breast and ham, and a cream cracker with peanut butter. The world didn't end! I might end up only doing it 5 days a week, but I'm definitely seeing results so far. I think I had gotten into a lot of bad habits (eating late at night, binging on rubbish), but now I have stopped buying anything that I can binge on, so I have to go for the healthy option (apart from Crunchies...I need my Crunchies :D Half a bar after dinner for dessert, with a tablespoon of ice-cream...see, you can have your treats!). I think I always did eat fairly well, but I just ate too much, and late-night cravings were my downfall, but I was mostly eating out of habit to be honest.

I want to get down 22lbs to start (and then another 14 after that!). 4lbs in 3 days is a good start, so I'm hoping it will continue :)

That's great, it feels great to see a move on the scales. I would be of the same way as eating out of habit too. Since I started the IF, it helps that your not eating mindlessly.
    Good luck with the weight loss, I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Over 1kg this week, actually not even a week I don't think,5 days starting to reap the rewards now in terms of energy levels and sleeping better because I'm more active during the day.

Edit. Just thought I'd mention I haven't cut out any food group I'm simply balancing out any carb heavy meals like yesterday's spaghetti Bolognese with low carb meals the rest of the day. It's very easy.
    I'm also 26 days off the beer and so is the missus. She hasn't changed her diet and hasn't lost any weight so the beer doesn't make as much of a difference as people make out, apparently your body dumps most of it before you absorb it all. I was drinking 1000 calories a night most nights, which was 5 cans of beer

Right.

87.9 today.

We are in serious mode now!!!!!!! I had a goal of getting to 85 for my wedding day and I managed that.

New goal.

The missus booked a holiday in Florida for me and the nipper in May. I want to be down to 80/82kg before then.

Rejoined the gym. Healthy eating. No beers. I can do this for 10 weeks.

Right.

87.9 today.

We are in serious mode now!!!!!!! I had a goal of getting to 85 for my wedding day and I managed that.

New goal.

The missus booked a holiday in Florida for me and the nipper in May. I want to be down to 80/82kg before then.

yes you can! I was 80kg about 3 years ago it feel great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!

Wtf..

Away for a week snowboarding, working out every single day, didn't go mad at all. Must be bloat. Will check again end of the week.

• Advertisement

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg

Very small loss this week but I'm happy it's not a gain as I thought that would be the case. I'm blaming the pancakes....and the pizza...
    And the Chinese. But besides those I was good:o

Right.

87.9 today.

New goal.

Ugh.... 90.2 today.

Balls.

Today is the day I get better...

Ugh.... 90.2 today.

Balls.

Pancakes? That's a big jump, usually only temporary, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

iamtony wrote: »
    I wouldn't sweat it.

That's exactly what he should be doing :pac:

@ the_dunne - you were over 101kg back in July. You're making great progress, don't let a little slip get you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

Hi Deise boii. Have you considered going vegan? I've lost loads of weight and kept it off after I went vegan.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Deise boii. Have you considered going vegan? I've lost loads of weight and kept it off after I went vegan.
    +1

My BMI after going vegan is right in the middle of where it should be and my cholesterol dropped from 6.9 (dangerous) down to 4.9 (within normal range). Blood sugar is perfect also.

Despite what a lot of people think (I used to think also) , you don't go around constantly hungry. The first couple of weeks are an adjustment but after that it works very well.

It's also become quite mainstream now. I was in dublin airport the other day T2 and went into the newsagent there to be disappointed at the lack of choice but was surprised when there were 3 different sandwiches available... Also Guinness is now vegan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg

Still hard at it and watching the intake. Going to up the cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I had gotten down half a stone in less than 3 weeks, despite having had a bad cold/flu for one of those weeks, and not being able to go to my circuit training classes. Then last week I pulled a muscle in my ribs setting up a treadmill for my elderly parents! It's taking a while to heal and it's affecting my sleep big time. No improvement really with it for 6 days now. I've put on 2 pounds again since I haven't been able to exercise with it. Jesus, I hate this! There's nothing worse than actually being motivated and craving exercise, but you can't do it. I had started jogging/skipping on my non-workout days too for extra cardio, but I can't even do that now. I am absolutely fuming :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Down over 1kg in a single week following a very basic Low Cab & High Fat plan. No plan really, just meat, cheese, nuts etc - and just not eating anything with high sugar or carbs.

Finding it far easier than I thought, as I am a carb fiend [and we simply cannot have bread in the house as if we do, I will eat it.]. So I am VERY weak for carbs, and clearly along term carb addict!

Made brunch for 8 on Sunday and had three kinds of nice & fancy bread on the table, and I was totally fine, and just had prepared nice things that were good for me. Saturday we went for a burger and I had no drama, got milk [so toddler and I had the same thing, for fun] and I just threw away the buns on my burger

No spikes and dips in energy right away, feeling full - amazeballs.

Next big test will be avoiding beer over the long weekend!

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg

Up 0.8kg I kind of expected it, still off the drink but I'm slipping with the food, the green leafy stuff is wilting in the fridge, the turkey rashers were out of date, the rabbit eat my salad bowl etc.
    Anyway back on horse this week, expect big losses from me next week:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

iamtony wrote: »
    Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg

Up 0.8kg I kind of expected it, still off the drink but I'm slipping with the food, the green leafy stuff is wilting in the fridge, the turkey rashers were out of date, the rabbit eat my salad bowl etc.
    Anyway back on horse this week, expect big losses from me next week:cool:

well done, there'll always be times when we don't stick to the plan, no reason to be down on yourself.

Ugh.... 90.2 today.

Balls.

Ok.... I had a bad few weeks (very bad) and I seem to be in or around 91.5. Thats a 6kg increase from October.

Started in the gym on Saturday and completely cut out the booze and going to eat clean. non processed meat and fresh veg. Going to weigh myself once a week instead of every day now.

Very disappointed with myself but very determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ok.... I had a bad few weeks (very bad) and I seem to be in or around 91.5. Thats a 6kg increase from October.

Started in the gym on Saturday and completely cut out the booze and going to eat clean. non processed meat and fresh veg. Going to weigh myself once a week instead of every day now.

Very disappointed with myself but very determined.

keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!

Wtf..

Away for a week snowboarding, working out every single day, didn't go mad at all. Must be bloat. Will check again end of the week.

Week 9 - 94.8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs

14st 8lbs
    Crazy How easy it is to put back on!! Gym membership expired a few weeks ago and was toying with idea of not rejoining until winter. That is out the window now so gona join a gym closer to home. It a good bit more expensive but should make it easier for me.

I am hoping the majority of the excess weight is due to spending 3 days at Cheltenham this week which consisted of a lot of bad food and good drink.

Back on the wagon today though!!!

• Advertisement

89.6 last night. Getting there

Afraid to weigh in another bad week:D I'll be double good this week and loose enough for both weeks, scouts honour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Hi all, Would it be ok if i started contributing and recording any weight loss success here as well?

Hi all, Would it be ok if i started contributing and recording any weight loss success here as well?

No. We dont want you here.

Obviously only joking mate. Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg

No. We dont want you here.

Obviously only joking mate. Of course.

haha cheers!!

Hi all

I'm 35 Male, 6ft 2 & Sick of being fat!
    Its gone on far to long now, I have been over 20stone most of my adult life.

I've tried everything.....Twice!!!

Slimming world, weight watchers, lipotrim, Joe Wickes Plan, a dozen Barely used Gym memberships, Juice Diets, Personal trainer, My FitnessPal. Food Allergy Testing, ive forgotten some but this list is already too long and embarrassing.

Some of the above worked for a while before old habits returned and any weight that I did lose came back.

The one thing i have never really applied to any of this is self Discipline.

I have a simple plan, eat less calories & move more. I am an awful man for the takeaways 2 / 3 a week every week as well as Too many bad options at Lunchtime. Burritos / Chinese / Burgers / Carverys / Chicken Fillet Rolls & crisps. etc etc also need to Ditch sugar in my coffee & Tea as its a big trigger to want biscuits & chocolate with my tea.

I have paused my Gym membership, and am going to start into the couch to 5k 3 times a week at home.

I will eat mostly home cooked meals & prepare my own lunches & Drink more water. that should give me a good start. (have started this already) Loads of dinners batch cooked in freezer and made my lunch the last 2 days.

I think reading & posting here will help also.

Week 1 24st 1 lb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hey rhubarbcustard,

I started off in a similar position to yourself. 32, 6ft, 21stone. Fiend for the takeaways and splodging out on the couch all day. Had tried a few diets before but never stuck and ended up putting on more weight than I'd lose. That's where I was 10 months ago. Now I'm 13.5stone. From reading your post, I think you're on the right track.

Counting calories and being completely honest with it is the main thing. Regardless of everything else, that's just pure science. If you take in fewer calories than you need, you will lose weight. The rate at which depends on the difference, but you will lose weight. Exercise can definitely help, but diet needs to be the number one priority.

Planning meals and cooking in advance is a great way to go. If you already have your meals made you'll be less likely to take an easy option of takeaway or chicken roll, because your meal already being prepared then is the quick and easy option. Plan your week ahead as much as possible.

I think it's also key to enjoy the food you're eating. Don't eat stuff just because it's healthy. Find healthy versions of the stuff you do like, whether it's using low calorie ingredients/substitutes, or even smaller portions of your usual meals. You'll find it easier to stick to if you're eating food you enjoy, because you won't be craving the stuff you usually have.

And posting here will definitely help. It makes you accountable, and people here can give great advice and motivation to keep going.

It can take a few weeks to let the new habits kick in and take hold, but stick with it and the weight will fall off in no time. Best of luck!

Penn wrote: »
    Hey rhubarbcustard,

I started off in a similar position to yourself. 32, 6ft, 21stone. Fiend for the takeaways and splodging out on the couch all day. Had tried a few diets before but never stuck and ended up putting on more weight than I'd lose. That's where I was 10 months ago. Now I'm 13.5stone. From reading your post, I think you're on the right track.

Counting calories and being completely honest with it is the main thing. Regardless of everything else, that's just pure science. If you take in fewer calories than you need, you will lose weight. The rate at which depends on the difference, but you will lose weight. Exercise can definitely help, but diet needs to be the number one priority.

Planning meals and cooking in advance is a great way to go. If you already have your meals made you'll be less likely to take an easy option of takeaway or chicken roll, because your meal already being prepared then is the quick and easy option. Plan your week ahead as much as possible.

I think it's also key to enjoy the food you're eating. Don't eat stuff just because it's healthy. Find healthy versions of the stuff you do like, whether it's using low calorie ingredients/substitutes, or even smaller portions of your usual meals. You'll find it easier to stick to if you're eating food you enjoy, because you won't be craving the stuff you usually have.

And posting here will definitely help. It makes you accountable, and people here can give great advice and motivation to keep going.

It can take a few weeks to let the new habits kick in and take hold, but stick with it and the weight will fall off in no time. Best of luck!

Thanks very much for the Reply Penn Congratulations on what you have achieved!! thats unreal!!
    You have made a lot of great points to bear in mind. I'll keep posting my weight here every Wednesday and I'll use Myfitnesspal to keep track of the calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Hi all

I'm 35 Male, 6ft 2 & Sick of being fat!
    Its gone on far to long now, I have been over 20stone most of my adult life.

I've tried everything.....Twice!!!

Slimming world, weight watchers, lipotrim, Joe Wickes Plan, a dozen Barely used Gym memberships, Juice Diets, Personal trainer, My FitnessPal. Food Allergy Testing, ive forgotten some but this list is already too long and embarrassing.

Some of the above worked for a while before old habits returned and any weight that I did lose came back.

The one thing i have never really applied to any of this is self Discipline.

I have a simple plan, eat less calories & move more. I am an awful man for the takeaways 2 / 3 a week every week as well as Too many bad options at Lunchtime. Burritos / Chinese / Burgers / Carverys / Chicken Fillet Rolls & crisps. etc etc also need to Ditch sugar in my coffee & Tea as its a big trigger to want biscuits & chocolate with my tea.

I have paused my Gym membership, and am going to start into the couch to 5k 3 times a week at home.

I will eat mostly home cooked meals & prepare my own lunches & Drink more water. that should give me a good start. (have started this already) Loads of dinners batch cooked in freezer and made my lunch the last 2 days.

I think reading & posting here will help also.

Week 1 24st 1 lb

The very best of luck with it.

I'm the same height as you but around 15 years older. I was up around the 20 stone mark until I got things in hand a little under three years ago. I now flit between 15 and 15 and a half stone. Yeah, I know it's still overweight but it's good for me. I can run 5K's now. I can play astroturf. I can cycle a nice distance. Couldn't do any of that three years ago.

I found Slimming World worked for me. Would you give it another try? I think it's a brilliant plan. Even though I don't attend groups anymore, I still follow it.

What you've outlined is very sensible. Cut out the fats, sugars and get plenty of protein, fruit and veg into your diet. Try to restrict carbs as much as you can. And delete the numbers of the takeways from your phone!!!

Advertisement