Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just after meeting a lady who I hadn’t seen in 6 months-I almost didn’t recognize her. She said that she has lost 3 & 1/2 stone through exercise & not eating after 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

The very best of luck with it.

I'm the same height as you but around 15 years older. I was up around the 20 stone mark until I got things in hand a little under three years ago. I now flit between 15 and 15 and a half stone. Yeah, I know it's still overweight but it's good for me. I can run 5K's now. I can play astroturf. I can cycle a nice distance. Couldn't do any of that three years ago.

I found Slimming World worked for me. Would you give it another try? I think it's a brilliant plan. Even though I don't attend groups anymore, I still follow it.

What you've outlined is very sensible. Cut out the fats, sugars and get plenty of protein, fruit and veg into your diet. Try to restrict carbs as much as you can. And delete the numbers of the takeways from your phone!!!

Heshs Umpire thats great going too, and thanks for reply.
    I've definitely learned a lot from my 3 different stints at slimming World and to this day when im cooking im using SW recipies esp if batch cooking Curry / Chilli things like that. But for whatever reason the group sessions just were not for me personally But I would recommend SW to others as it definitely works for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi All, Long term lurker of this thread, 35, F. Hope it's okay that I join. I want to get from 11 to 10 stone. Had a baby early last year and everything exercise and diet wise has gone a bit haywire. Started back in work before Christmas and exercise has been very inconsistent, binging on chocolate/crap for energy throughout the day, not cooking as much as I'd like and always ordering dessert in restaurants or a scone with coffee!

The difference between 11 and 10 stone for me is huge (literally). I have a whole wardrobe of clothes I'd love to wear again. I'm not toned and look bigger than the scales suggest.

Going to Spain in May so proper regime starts today:
    - Run 3x 30 min p/w
    - pilates once a week
    - weights once a week

Cut the crap out- bread during the week, cakes, scones, beer and the most difficult of all...my beloved chocolate.

mojesius wrote:
    Going to Spain in May so proper regime starts today: - Run 3x 30 min p/w - pilates once a week - weights once a week

mojesius wrote:
    Cut the crap out- bread during the week, cakes, scones, beer and the most difficult of all...my beloved chocolate.

You do that and you are golden. Best of luck. We are all here for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mojesius wrote: »
    Hi All, Long term lurker of this thread, 35, F. Hope it's okay that I join. I want to get from 11 to 10 stone. Had a baby early last year and everything exercise and diet wise has gone a bit haywire. Started back in work before Christmas and exercise has been very inconsistent, binging on chocolate/crap for energy throughout the day, not cooking as much as I'd like and always ordering dessert in restaurants or a scone with coffee!

The difference between 11 and 10 stone for me is huge (literally). I have a whole wardrobe of clothes I'd love to wear again. I'm not toned and look bigger than the scales suggest.

Going to Spain in May so proper regime starts today:
    - Run 3x 30 min p/w
    - pilates once a week
    - weights once a week

One thing that would helo is batch cooking. There's sweet FA time to be cooking daily and it's been the one thing that helped me massively. An hour or so making one-pot wonders at the weekend and boom...consistent eating and not having to cook daily.

Preparing meals in advance means there are fewer excuses to just go for whatever because the time isn't there to go make something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Ok, I'm down 3kg in exactly one month, despite being injured for 2 of those weeks and not being able to move much. I'm going to monitor it week to week now. My diet was always pretty good, but late night cravings always screwed me up. I have cut out buying bingeable high-calorie food, although I was in tesco the last day and bought 5 easter eggs for €5! Turns out there are 800 calories in one of those small eggs :eek: I found this out after I ate it. Lesson learned!

I'm back doing the circuit training 3x per week, and I have started skipping in the morning. I do around 15 mins with short breaks, and I'm absolutely drenched with sweat after that: a great way to start the day. I HATE jogging; I don't like being on the roads with traffic whizzing by, and pedestrians getting in the way, so skipping is perfect for me, and it's low impact. Shout out to the jumpropedudes on youtube: i've learned a lot from them. Great to see the scales moving in the right direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 8lbs

14st 5lbs
    Still not fully back on the wagon, hopefully get to rejoìn gym this week. I find it easier to eat better when also training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg
    22/03 Week 12 - 82.5kg

I weighed myself this morning....

92!!!!!!!

But..... As soon as I got into work, I've spent the last 20 mins on the toilet and I think if I had a weighing scales now, I'd be back to sub 90s. Damn jalapenos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Like a lot of people chocolate is my weakness. Can't get enough of it.

But I started subbing with very dark chocolate as in a min. 85%. It does take the edge off as you can only eat a fraction of the amount as it is just too bitter. Plus kids hate it so nobody will touch it in the house. Bonus.

I lost 2.5 stone but I did take up running.

• Advertisement

Like a lot of people chocolate is my weakness. Can't get enough of it.

But I started subbing with very dark chocolate as in a min. 85%. It does take the edge off as you can only eat a fraction of the amount as it is just too bitter. Plus kids hate it so nobody will touch it in the house. Bonus.

I lost 2.5 stone but I did take up running.

Yeah, I got to get back on the dark chocolate too. It's true, 1-2 squares was usually enough for me (mixed with a few walnuts), but I could binge on regular chocolate until I'm sick :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb

Had a decent week, Week 1 of Couch to 5k Completed which I am enjoying.
    I fell into the trap of eating whatever sweet things I wanted over the weekend (Sure its grand i went jogging earlier!).
    I need to seperate diet from excercise, manage calories for weight loss & then excercise is for my Health and Mental Wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb

I fell into the trap of eating whatever sweet things I wanted over the weekend (Sure its grand i went jogging earlier!).
    I need to seperate diet from excercise, manage calories for weight loss & then excercise is for my Health and Mental Wellbeing.

Absolutely true. The calories you burn from exercise and the endorphins it gives you, that should always be a bonus on top of the diet. It should compliment and enhance your diet, and give you motivation to stay on the diet so you can keep pushing yourself further. But it's the diet that needs to take priority above all else.

Still though, a loss is a loss and it'll always take a few weeks to fully get into a rhythm, so congrats and keep 'er lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I weighed myself this morning....

92!!!!!!!

But..... As soon as I got into work, I've spent the last 20 mins on the toilet and I think if I had a weighing scales now, I'd be back to sub 90s. Damn jalapenos!!
    Amateur mistake everyone knows you don't weigh in till you pushed out the sin:pac:

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb

Yeah a common misconception. Where I meet up with my running club there is a Costa below the gym...:eek:

Think about it....a decent 7-8k run burns about 400-500 calories. That's all. That's just a large glass of wine.

Some ladies will head straight into Costa for a cake and large frappamappachoccalatte- easily exceeding 1000 calories but of course it's the 'Sure I deserve it'.

But none of them lose weight and even gain and can't figure it out...complete mystery.:D

Today I downloaded the Myfitnesspal app ( a calorie counter) and boy did I get a nasty surprise. I thought I was eating fairly healthy in the morning...

Usually I have a slice of toast with peanut butter and half a banana, and a cup of coffee upon waking.

Then, after a 30 minute cardio/strength training workout on my decking, I had a fruit/protein shake with:

half a banana, scoop of protein, handful walnuts, spoon of chia seeds, juice of one orange and one lime, handful of blueberries, half an apple, 2 spoons greek style yoghurt, handful of raw oats, cinnamon, chunk of fresh ginger.

Turns out all the above comes to over 900 calories!!! Looks like I will have to get back on the boiled eggs, and toast. Keep it simple, and filling!

half a banana, scoop of protein, handful walnuts, spoon of chia seeds, juice of one orange and one lime, handful of blueberries, half an apple, 2 spoons greek style yoghurt, handful of raw oats, cinnamon, chunk of fresh ginger.

Turns out all the above comes to over 900 calories!!! Looks like I will have to get back on the boiled eggs, and toast. Keep it simple, and filling!

Holy jaysis. I'd be doing the same thinking I was a hero!!! Feck sake. Kale me hole.

Today I downloaded the Myfitnesspal app ( a calorie counter) and boy did I get a nasty surprise. I thought I was eating fairly healthy in the morning...

Usually I have a slice of toast with peanut butter and half a banana, and a cup of coffee upon waking.

Then, after a 30 minute cardio/strength training workout on my decking, I had a fruit/protein shake with:

Yeah I use the same app and it is an eye opener especially when eating out. Try and find a meal under 1000 calories. Or those small harmless cakes in Starbucks or Costa...500 calories on average and that is at the lesser end before the 180 cal latte. So the quick cake and coffee will set you back 1000 calories.

Sure a slice of bread is 100 calories. A banana is not far off.

So 2 slices of toast and butter you are pushing 250 calories just on its own. Banana and peanut butter...jaysus now you are over the 400 calories and its not even 8am.

It's amazing how the little things add up.

That's depressing. I may as well have a bottle of wine in the morning instead of my smoothie so

Are you sure you have enough in there...it could definitely do with some more fruit...maybe pineapple and some avocado..;)

But seriously there is no way you are doing enough cardio in the gym to burn that off. I would say that shake must be not far off 400 calories and as I said above that is the equivalent of a fast paced 7-8km road run of about 45-50 minutes.

Plus don't forget there is a lot of sugar in fruit.

People (we are all guilty of it) tend to over estimate the work out in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I just can't eat in the morning to save my life, stomach doesn't like it ! First bite is at 1pm, easy way to save a few calories ! Until I make up for it at dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I mostly gave up biscuits a couple years ago (i'll have them very rarely now) and i was amazed at the amount of real food i could be eating vs a couple of measly biscuits adding up to 200 or 300 kcals. i could sit down and eat a nice filling meal for that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably the biggest culprits in bold above, I'm guessing (not sure on the protein powder). Amazing how many calories in things like walnuts. And a lot of peanut butters have added oils and trans fats.

MFP can definitely be eye-opening. That's the beauty and the curse of it. I used to love making chicken wings but turns out unless you take all the skin off them, they're actually very high calorie for even a small air-fried portion of them (and I can't just have a small portion of them), even though you'd think it's just chicken meat and hot sauce so it can't be that bad. They went from a "every few weeks" meal to a "very special occasion" meal.

I just can't eat in the morning to save my life, stomach doesn't like it ! First bite is at 1pm, easy way to save a few calories ! Until I make up for it at dinner..

Oh definitely eat in the morning. The problem I found with going long periods is that you will gorge yourself later and it messes with your blood sugar levels.

It also tricks your body into thinking it is 'famine' so in fact it holds onto fat for longer so you are doing more damage and will put on weight.

Try protein shakes. There is a lot of of protein shakes out there that are full of rubbish and sugar.

I use this stuff and defo helps beat the hunger until dinner time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263895555251

It's nasty on its own but put some steva in it and it kills to taste. Very smooth and it really helps with muscle recovery post long runs. A nutritionalist tipped me off.

Penn wrote: »
    Probably the biggest culprits in bold above, I'm guessing (not sure on the protein powder). Amazing how many calories in things like walnuts. And a lot of peanut butters have added oils and trans fats.

MFP can definitely be eye-opening. That's the beauty and the curse of it. I used to love making chicken wings but turns out unless you take all the skin off them, they're actually very high calorie for even a small air-fried portion of them (and I can't just have a small portion of them), even though you'd think it's just chicken meat and hot sauce so it can't be that bad. They went from a "every few weeks" meal to a "very special occasion" meal.

The protein has around 127 kcal per scoop, so I probably get 100 from that, as I don't have a full scoop. Yeah, walnuts and peanut butter are very high! Didn't realise this, although I do use Aldi's 100% peanut butter which at least doesn't have sugar. I don't have much of an appetite in the morning, so these shakes were great as they went down easy, but clearly I'm going to have to change things.

Jesus. This is all very eye opening.

Are you sure you have enough in there...it could definitely do with some more fruit...maybe pineapple and some avocado..;)

But seriously there is no way you are doing enough cardio in the gym to burn that off. I would say that shake must be not far off 400 calories and as I said above that is the equivalent of a fast paced 7-8km road run of about 45-50 minutes.

Plus don't forget there is a lot of sugar in fruit.

People (we are all guilty of it) tend to over estimate the work out in the gym.

Pineapple with greek yoghurt and some linseed is my dessert these days :( FFS I'll have to cut down on that now. Christ, I don't know how to eat!

I think it is worth remember that everything you put in your mouth has calorific content- everything.

There is the temptation to think 'Ah sure a load of fruit and veg, nuts etc is grand and I can eat as much as I want no bother. Sure it's good for you.'

Still has calories and still need to be burned off. If you eating more than you burn then you will put on weight. It really is that simple.

With that in mind you have to make the food you eat count. If say you are confining yourself to say 1500 calories a day then you need to make sure you are making it count in terms of nutrition. A 1500 cal slice of chocolate cake ain't the same as 1500 spread over the day in terms of good quality varied foods- ok hardly a ground breaking revelation.

Pineapple with greek yoghurt and some linseed is my dessert these days :( FFS I'll have to cut down on that now. Christ, I don't know how to eat!

You're grand. It's all trial and error.

Funnily enough I went through a phase of Greek yogurt (Fage- fat free) with some honey.

You got to ask yourself...do you really need to have dessert? Maybe have it later on as a snack.

I've spent years researching this but all in the context of marathon training.

• Advertisement

What would be a good diet (for someone that does minimum exercise)??

Breakfast: Bowl of shreddies

Lunch - Soup

Dinner - Two chicken breasts with broccoli and peas

Swap out chicken for 300gm mince and rice alternate days

Would that work?

Advertisement