Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

bluewolf wrote: »
    I mostly gave up biscuits a couple years ago (i'll have them very rarely now) and i was amazed at the amount of real food i could be eating vs a couple of measly biscuits adding up to 200 or 300 kcals. i could sit down and eat a nice filling meal for that

You have discovered the concept of 'empty calories'. A big bowl of grapes and Greek Yogurt (0%fat) can be say, 200 cal which is the same of 5 Rich Tea biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What would be a good diet (for someone that does minimum exercise)??

Breakfast: Bowl of shreddies

Lunch - Soup

Dinner - Two chicken breasts with broccoli and peas

Swap out chicken for 300gm mince and rice alternate days

Would that work?

I don't know about you but i'd be starving on that. also does the soup have cream in it?
    have some eggs or porridge for breakfast and maybe some chicken at lunch i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lunch - Soup

Would that work?

Seems solid enough alright. Portion size is key too, especially when it comes to things like rice. Best bet is to use MyFitnessPal though. It'll break down not just calories but also carbs/fats/protein and give you recommended targets for each. Can at least help show if you're doing okay on calories but might be too carb-heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm 35 5 foot 11(and a bit:)) and weight 100 kg which is very similar to you.
    I woke up about a week ago and had a blood spot in my eye which led me to get my blood pressure checked and it was very high. If that isn't enough to make you diet and exercise I don't know what is.
    I'm now off the drink and stopped ordering food in the evenings etc. This alone will help a lot for me but I dont know what your problems are.
    I've gone on to a low card diet. I'm still eating them but just in much smaller portions.
    Lots of green leafy veg. Plenty of lean meat, fruit for snacks loads of boiled eggs etc.
    Yesterday for dinner i had 4 seasoned airfried new season potatoes with a pack of tender stem brocalli and half a cooked chicken, minus the skin for dinner.
    You could be under 15 stone in 2 weeks if you eat right and clear out of the heavy slow moving foods from your gut.

What was the BP numbers if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know about you but i'd be starving on that. also does the soup have cream in it?
    have some eggs or porridge for breakfast and maybe some chicken at lunch i would say

It'd actually be pretty similar to what I have some days. Never find myself hungry on it, though I have small yoghurts between meals too which likely helps fend off the hunger. It can leave you too low sometimes on the calories, and some of those days I might treat myself to a bag of crisps or something with lunch just to ensure I get over the 1,200 recommended minimum calories. Or if I plan ahead, have some bread with the soup.

• Advertisement

There's no hard and fast thing about eating in the morning, as with everything just figure out what works for you. If I eat on the way to work I'm absolutely starving in the run-up to lunchtime whereas if I leave it I get to lunch comfortably and eat because it's time to eat. By the time I get home I don't notice much difference in appetite, if anything eating in the morning leaves me hungry all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Oh definitely eat in the morning. The problem I found with going long periods is that you will gorge yourself later and it messes with your blood sugar levels.

It also tricks your body into thinking it is 'famine' so in fact it holds onto fat for longer so you are doing more damage and will put on weight.

I am going to disagree with this, not having breakfast does not make your body think its in a famine. If you define “famine” as long term severe calorie deficit which slows down your metabolism, it is long term chronic dieting that would make your body think it needs to conserve energy and slow things down.
    As for blood sugar , its more related to what you eat not when you eat. If someone eats what would be termed a standard breakfast you are guaranteed a spike of some sort and a return to normal or a slump if you aren’t healthy or some types of food might cause this. If you don’t eat til lunchtime , you will get a small natural spike known as “ the morning effect” and a return to normal. If someone’s sugar is all over the place because they havnt eaten breakfast then they aren’t healthy or eating very unhealthy food the previous night on a regular basis.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Im 34 and just bordering 5' 4'' (Yeah, I have grievances with the council for building the road too close to my arse :pac:) and I am just under 16 stone.

I was always a little bit on the heavy side but that was when I was a smoker. Since i quit them, I fell into the habit of replacing it with junk food...crisps being my particular vice. I was never one for drinking, so I can't blame that.
    I had also, tried to cut down and do the right things, but that went downhill fast after a bad spout of depression.

I would love to cut it down and slim up a bit, but I have no idea where to start.
    But to anyone else here, I wish you the best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oh definitely eat in the morning. The problem I found with going long periods is that you will gorge yourself later and it messes with your blood sugar levels.

It also tricks your body into thinking it is 'famine' so in fact it holds onto fat for longer so you are doing more damage and will put on weight.

Your body won't go into starvation mode because you've gone a few extra hours without eating.

And you will put on weight if you consume too many calories. You won't put on weight if you're on a deficit and don't eat until 1pm in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Danny_B wrote: »
    Im 34 and just bordering 5' 4'' (Yeah, I have grievances with the council for building the road too close to my arse :pac:) and I am just under 16 stone.

I was always a little bit on the heavy side but that was when I was a smoker. Since i quit them, I fell into the habit of replacing it with junk food...crisps being my particular vice. I was never one for drinking, so I can't blame that.
    I had also, tried to cut down and do the right things, but that went downhill fast after a bad spout of depression.

I would love to cut it down and slim up a bit, but I have no idea where to start.
    But to anyone else here, I wish you the best of luck with it.

My 2c worth.

Figure out your BMR - what you need to maintain your current weight. Most online BMI tools will tell you.
    You can use it to plan out how many calories you can cut down.

Then register on the likes of myfitnesspal( app too) where you can track and record everything you are eating. A week's worth of info should show you exactly what's happening.

As for eliminating thing I'd pick just one thing first and drop it. Replace it with something healthier if you can. Over time you could drop others but nothing horribly wrong with a little bit of crap! And up your water intake to 2L.

Then you should consider what kind of regular exercice regime would work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lunch - Soup

Would that work?
    I'd vary the breakfast. Eggs, porridge etc. I'd also drop in more of the five a day, fruit in particular. Have some nuts at home for when you get peckish!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Unless you’re making your own soup, it can be very high in calories. I do slimming world and the syns were like almost my daily limit for a pack of the knorr vegetable soup.
    Shreddies is a good choice for cereals, or weetabix, but they still have a decent amount of sugar in them.

I’m not a big breakfast fan either, so tea break is my first bite. A typical day for me:

11am Muller light yoghurt (toffee or vanilla are delicious) with a sliced banana and haldful of blueberries

1.30pm A baked potato with cheese scallions and ham or chicken, with a side salad and coleslaw

7pm Chicken curry with mushrooms, peppers, onion, and a handful of frozen veg thrown in, with rice and a side salad of spinach, cucumber, tomato and sweetcorn. Cover the side salad with the sauce and it’s more edible if you’re not big into leaves.

I’ve lost 16 lbs in 11 weeks and am genuinely not hungry and my daily exercise is 20 minutes in total of walking to and from work. I am quite lazy tbh.

I cut out drinks at home completely, which were creeping into 3-4 nights a week, and always complemented with peanuts, crisps etc.
    Now i go out on Saturdays, have as many drinks as I feel like. Occasionally get a pizza or burger the next day and still lose lbs. Just don’t do that every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg
    22/03 Week 12 - 82.5kg
    29/03 Week 13 - 82.2kg

Slowly but surely

Lunch - Soup

Would that work?

A lot of info missing:

Breakfast: Bowl of shreddies- How many? Full fat milk? Sugar?

Lunch - Soup- Portion size? Homemade? Just on its own?

Dinner - Two chicken breasts with broccoli and peas- Sauces? How are you cooking the chicken?

Swap out chicken for 300gm mince and rice alternate days- What % is the fat content of the mince? Surely you are not eating it just on its own!

My first thought it that is a lot of meat!

Are you getting through the day without snacking? Fruit? Water?

On the chicken & veg day lots of fiber not many carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg
    22/03 Week 12 - 82.5kg
    29/03 Week 13 - 82.2kg

Slowly but surely

Well done. Slow and steady wins the race. My own view is that it has taken me 40 years to get the body I currently have, let it take at least 40 weeks until I get rid of the excess fat. If I get there before then, great :)

Your body won't go into starvation mode because you've gone a few extra hours without eating.

And you will put on weight if you consume too many calories. You won't put on weight if you're on a deficit and don't eat until 1pm in the day.

That's true if you are used to it and it's your normal routine but it if it is not your usual routine then you are messing around and it is not sustainable in the long run.

To clarify, when I mentioned putting on weight I meant in the context of gorging later on in the day. In other words, not eating in the morning or for a few extra hours is pointless if you are famished by 5-6pm and then over compensating and eating way too much.

I think calorie counting is the way to go (no ****!): it's certainly educational! I did so much eating, thinking I was being healthy, but still eating far too much. I have worked out my BMR is around 1,850 calories a day, and with circuit classes 3-4 times weeks, and cardio/skipping 5-6 days a week, this number goes up to 2,850 to maintain my current weight. So to hit my ideal target of 2lb/1kg weight loss per week, I can still eat 1,850 calories a day approximately, which is fine if I eat sensibly. I know it's not an exact science but I'm going to try it.

I realise now that I used to eat too much after a cardio session; a snack is enough. Also watch the fruit, and portion sizes in general. This calorie counting app will be my saviour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

bilbot79 wrote: »
    What was the BP numbers if you don't mind me asking?

I can't remember exactly but it was like 180/125 it's now about 130/90 almost normal.

Lunch - Soup

Would that work?
    if you like the sheddies for breakfast then treat that as your carbs for the day. If you could swap if for a turkey bacon or ham omelette that would be much better, side of mixed leaves even better again.

Soup made from root vegetables can be very carb loaded, try stick one soups based on green stuff.

What I do for dinner compared to yours is I have whatever meat the rest of the family is having and the only a spoon full of carbs(potatoes/rice/pasta) and fill my plate with all the green veg I can fit in the pot. Mostly cabbage, broccoli, kale etc. But the important thing is I eat enough to leave my full and satisfied for the evening. Low salt gravy is your friend if you don't really dig the taste of all the veg. I sometimes use root veg to replace the potatoes. Like turnip etc.

I would also add, smoothies and fluit juice are usually high in calories. Eating fruit is grand cause your getting the fibre and you'll only eat one orange and your not getting the sugar from ten oranges like you would drinking a glass of orange juice.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg

Total weight loss 6.2kg

That's not bad considering the few weeks I've had. Getting back into it now. I think not living such a sedentary life has really helped me recently. It's mad how lazy society has become.

• Advertisement

I think calorie counting is the way to go (no ****!): it's certainly educational! I did so much eating, thinking I was being healthy, but still eating far too much. I have worked out my BMR is around 1,850 calories a day, and with circuit classes 3-4 times weeks, and cardio/skipping 5-6 days a week, this number goes up to 2,850 to maintain my current weight. So to hit my ideal target of 2lb/1kg weight loss per week, I can still eat 1,850 calories a day approximately, which is fine if I eat sensibly. I know it's not an exact science but I'm going to try it.

I realise now that I used to eat too much after a cardio session; a snack is enough. Also watch the fruit, and portion sizes in general. This calorie counting app will be my saviour :pac:

BOOM...you got it.

I started with MyFitnessPal app last January 2018 and I was religious about it as I wanted to get down to 11stone for marathons- less weight = quicker times. Lost 8lbs in 6 weeks- now I was doing a ferocious amount of running with it.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg

Total weight loss 8.5kg

Big loss this week of 2.3kg I had a feeling I'd loose alot this week. I'm eating ok, not amazing but portion control and being active is doing it for me.

The best feeling is no belly pressure on the buttons of the work shirt i.e. a bit looser fitting!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    The best feeling is no belly pressure on the buttons of the work shirt i.e. a bit looser fitting!

Yeah that and down a notch on the belt and watch strap are also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

iamtony wrote: »
    Yeah that and down a notch on the belt and watch strap are also great.

Belt notches are exactly how I'm monitoring my progress! Here it is since June:

Belt https://imgur.com/a/dbHozPF

Week 1: 15st 1.6lb
    Week 2: 14st 12.6lb

Week 3: N/A

Week 4: N/A

Week 5: 14st 9.6lb

Week 6: 14st 6.8lb

Had two weeks in that time where I could barely move without pain after pulling a muscle in my ribs. No exercise classes, no walking even. Finally getting on top of calorie counting now, and the clothes are getting a bit looser too :)

Very good:D

Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb
    Week 3 23st 11 1/2 lb

Still getting to grips with calorie counting but am getting there.
    I spent Thurs - Sunday trying to be good but on Monday & yesterday, I finally got to grips with recording on MyFitness Pal and I can finally feel some progress, I'm trusting the maths!

I'm still chipping away with Couch to 5K too, (Upgraded to Couch to 10K!) I signed up for a 10K in June. I have 6 runs of 42 now completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Hi all.

24 year old male , 6 foot 1, 105.8 kg.

Used to be 81 kg 4 years ago. Last year I lost 15 kg from 109kg to - 94 kg mainly through a dangerous big calorie deficit combined with low carb and keto at times and up to 2 hours of intensive enough exercise per day, but then I started a new relationship and also became stressed as my hair was falling out due to Telogen Effluvium (stress + bad diet, not fun) and slowly regained all the weight to where I am now sitting uncomfortably at work with the belt tucking into my gut and the jumper squeezing my armpits!

Anyway time to lose weight again but this time slower and a little healthier! Sticking high protein with calorie counting, and I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently mainly with cardio but I will add weights.

Week 1 Day 1:

105.8 kg

Advertisement