Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Kilboor wrote: »
    Hi all.

24 year old male , 6 foot 1, 105.8 kg.

Used to be 81 kg 4 years ago. Last year I lost 15 kg from 109kg to - 96 kg mainly through a dangerous big calorie deficit combined with low carb and keto at times and up to 2 hours of intensive enough exercise per day, but then I started a new relationship and also became stressed as my hair was falling out due to Telogen Effluvium (stress + bad diet, not fun) and slowly regained all the weight to where I am now sitting uncomfortably at work with the belt tucking into my gut and the jumper squeezing my armpits!

Anyway time to lose weight again but this time slower and a little healthier! Sticking high protein with calorie counting, and I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently mainly with cardio but I will add weights.

Week 1 Day 1:

105.8 kg

Slow and steady wins the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Slow and steady wins the race!

That's the plan!

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!
    Week 9 - 94.8
    Week 10 - hols
    Week 11 - afraid to check

Back to the Friday weigh ins.

Week 12 Friday 94.5

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's a recent study making the rounds about healthy eating and long-term mortality and morbidity. Summarizing, what serves us poorly, is not eating enough good foods (leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fatty fish high in omega-3), and eating too much food that doesn't (processes, excessive meat protein, carbohydrates.) The way to improve your diet over the long term, is in my experience to gradually replace bad food with good. Not being maniacal off the bat, like counting every calorie you eat or berating yourself for the odd slice of cake, but shifting to a healthier diet.

The other key component is increasing the amount of exercise you get. This is the biggest challenge by far and far more critical that a quick diet change (which generally will knock off some weight, but it comes back once you revert back.) In modern life this is a big challenge, my experience is that it wasn't until I could devote several hours a day, at least 6 days/week, to exercise, that I could both lose weight, and keep it off. Since 2002 (so, a long time ago), I've dropped over 60 pounds and kept it off. When I've not been able to exercise regularly, it starts creeping back.

The best videos I've found on understanding weight and how the body works, are on Youtube by a Cambridge researcher Professor Sir Stephen O'Rahilly. Obesity is based on neurology, and it's genetic, are his conclusions. We live in an obesogenic environment, so your neurology will control your weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNo6TXO-hQ

Igotadose wrote: »
    There's a recent study making the rounds about healthy eating and long-term mortality and morbidity. Summarizing, what serves us poorly, is not eating enough good foods (leafy green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fatty fish high in omega-3), and eating too much food that doesn't (processes, excessive meat protein, carbohydrates.) The way to improve your diet over the long term, is in my experience to gradually replace bad food with good. Not being maniacal off the bat, like counting every calorie you eat or berating yourself for the odd slice of cake, but shifting to a healthier diet.

The other key component is increasing the amount of exercise you get. This is the biggest challenge by far and far more critical that a quick diet change (which generally will knock off some weight, but it comes back once you revert back.) In modern life this is a big challenge, my experience is that it wasn't until I could devote several hours a day, at least 6 days/week, to exercise, that I could both lose weight, and keep it off. Since 2002 (so, a long time ago), I've dropped over 60 pounds and kept it off. When I've not been able to exercise regularly, it starts creeping back.

The best videos I've found on understanding weight and how the body works, are on Youtube by a Cambridge researcher Professor Sir Stephen O'Rahilly. Obesity is based on neurology, and it's genetic, are his conclusions. We live in an obesogenic environment, so your neurology will control your weight.

Definitely a societal change is needed to combat obesity in the long run. Lifestyle change is vital, walk/cycle to work, get a more active job, make 30 mins exercise a vital part of your day like sleeping, and make healthier filling food choices.

60 lbs is crazy good for the long term too, nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Igotadose wrote: »

Im sceptical about what foods are considered harmful and beneficial , most likely something like "wholegrains" show up as positive is just down to them displacing more processed food. Likewise “excessive” meat or protein being a negative is probably just down to studies showing up people who overeat in general and who maybe eating lots of meat but lots of junk food too, humans evolved on a carnivore diet, to me it’s a ridiculous idea that meat could be fundamentally unhealthy in itself , I’d want to know what else the person is eating and chances are it’s a ton of sugar , trans fats etc. One thing that seems to be important is having a good ratios of omega3 to 6 and that a lot of americans for example are over consuming omega 6 so staying away processed seed oils is a good strategy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Definitely a societal change is needed to combat obesity in the long run. Lifestyle change is vital, walk/cycle to work, get a more active job, make 30 mins exercise a vital part of your day like sleeping, and make healthier filling food choices.

60 lbs is crazy good for the long term too, nice one
    I always think of how we used to laugh at the Chinese doing their thai chi or whatever before work, it's the best idea ever.
    This and society turning it's nose up at any job that doesn't involve sitting on your hole all day is the cause of alot of our problems.

iamtony wrote: »
    I always think of how we used to laugh at the Chinese doing their thai chi or whatever before work, it's the best idea ever.
    This and society turning it's nose up at any job that doesn't involve sitting on your hole all day is the cause of alot of our problems.

I currently work an office job but am trying to career swap to something more physical.

Kind of locked down in IT however which is a shame, can't exactly switch to much :D

I am paid well for my age in this job but sitting at a computer is depressing. My hobby used to be messing with technology but because I work with it 8-5/6 I don't really used any devices at home anymore.

Also:

104.9 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I disagree to an extent. People compound desk jobs by being lazy. They use the lift to go up/down 1 or 2 floors. They email or ring colleagues that are less than 50m away. I see it in the building I work in. The ones that use the stairs regularly are in better shape than those that use the lift to go 1 or 2 floors

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Walking, 30 mins light exercise, being "active" is a minuscule factor compared to diet. There are plenty of guys working manual job who are massively overweight. The energy they burn in a day far exceeds 30 mins light exercise. (There's are plenty in great shape purely down to their job too).
    You'd burn almost as much energy staying in bed. And there's an argument that the extra sleep is as useful.
    The ones that use the stairs regularly are in better shape than those that use the lift to go 1 or 2 floors
    That's true. But are they in better shape because they use the stairs, or do they use the stairs because they are in better shape. Probably a combination of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    That's true. But are they in better shape because they use the stairs, or do they use the stairs because they are in better shape. Probably a combination of both.

I wasn't suggesting they're in good shape because they use the stairs but more that it is possibly an indicator that they are a bit more conscientious about health which likely feeds into diet, which is obviously more important than going up/down 1/2 flights of stairs maybe 4-6 times a day.

Not trying to draw conclusions from that, per se. And I doubt the societal problem is down to desk jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Its my first Saturday Calorie counting properly and am going ok so far. I have to go to out for a dinner thing later on, thats going to be tricky but I've looked up the menu and the chicken dish doesnt sound too bad and I'll order the sauce on the side.
    Trying to keep busy today as id often mindlessly eat half a loafs worth of Bread on a Saturday out of habit.
    I'm steering clear of alcohol for a while anyway (It triggers a need for breakfast rolls and take aways the following day) and im going too well to let that ruin my initial progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

From my few (6) weeks of trying to lose weight, I have found the following is successful for me:

A half hour of cardio early in the morning. I do HIIT skipping, 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off, or 60 seconds on/30 seconds off, x 8 times per set, with a minute rest in between sets, and I 4-5 sets (I usually do 4, and use the last one for practise, as I'm usually ****ed by 4 of them!). I find when I do this cardio in the morning, I don't feel sluggish, I feel a lot leaner, the head is clearer/more positive, and anything I eat seems to get digested fast. There is definitely an after-burn effect with this. It's also less intense on the legs: I don't get any pain after it, although I do do a lot of stretching and use a foam roller afterwards.

I didn't skip for 2 days last week, but did 3 circuit training classes in those two days. I put on 2 pounds! Did skipping yesterday, and had a binge last night of eating everything I could get my hands on (****ing Easter eggs :mad:) and yet the 2lb is off again and I felt lighter even going to bed last night! I think we are animals that should be moving a lot more than we are. I look at the feral cats I feed: you never see them overweight, even though I keep giving them food. They are always on the move, chasing something, climbing. I think there should be playgrounds for adults: where we can climb stuff in peace and muck around on assault courses (without being arrested for being a potential paedo!). And I don't mean a gym; I mean some place where you be a big kid, but actually work out your body too. And not have to pay fortune to use it: is should be free!

I much prefer being outdoors for working out too. Even in cold weather, a bit of sunshine/vitamin D definitely boosts my mood.

I also find on the days when I move a lot more, and I'm not talking exercise, I mean just moving, I'm leaner and lighter the next day. I am far too sedentary in general. I spend too much time online, and it's genuinely a bad habit now, so I'm going to have to work on this too.

I also like to count the calories to an extent, but I don't like obsessing about food. I just try to educate myself on the foods that are high/low in calories, and just be cautious. If I'm eating a meal, I stop when I'm full, not when the plate is clean. And if I do binge some day, well I'll work it off the next day and be light-hearted about it all. Be forgiving to yourself and pat yourself on the back. I was starting to obsess about the next 2 stone I want to lose, but I have to remind myself I've lost 9lbs in 6 weeks. That is ****ing great! Well done. Same to all you lads and ladies here; you're closer to your goal and you're on the path. Well done. It's a slow journey, be patient and celebrate the achievements, no matter how small.

That's my psycho-babble for the day :)

Walking, 30 mins light exercise, being "active" is a minuscule factor compared to diet. There are plenty of guys working manual job who are massively overweight. The energy they burn in a day far exceeds 30 mins light exercise. (There's are plenty in great shape purely down to their job too).

You'd burn almost as much energy staying in bed. And there's an argument that the extra sleep is as useful.

Although what your saying is technically true, it would only apply to the most discipline people. The effects of exercise is much more than burning calories. It improves mood for one which will help people choose better food when they are being more positive, it strengthens muscles which will make people look better within a couple of weeks and this also has a snowball effect because it will help people stay on the wagon when they see improvement. It will also help with getting the body working and the joints not being as stiff and the back not being as sore which all encourage more movement burning more calories.
    The last few weeks for me I forced myself to stay on my feet and keep doing stuff, DIY in my case. And the back pain I suffered with the last few months is totally gone because the muscles have a bit of strength in them and in loosing weight quicker and I'm in better mood and running up the stairs etc. Etc.
    Weight lose is possible while living a sedentary lifestyle but health(physical and mental) isn't for most people. Keep moving people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Although what your saying is technically true, it would only apply to the most discipline people. The effects of exercise is much more than burning calories. It improves mood for one which will help people choose better food when they are being more positive, it strengthens muscles which will make people look better within a couple of weeks and this also has a snowball effect because it will help people stay on the wagon when they see improvement. It will also help with getting the body working and the joints not being as stiff and the back not being as sore which all encourage more movement burning more calories.

I'm not arguing against the benefits of exercise. I'm saying that 30mins 3 times a week of light exercise, or a bit of tao chi before work isn't going to make a big impact in obesity problem.
    The difference it makes is minor compared to diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg
    22/03 Week 12 - 82.5kg
    29/03 Week 13 - 82.2kg
    05/04 Week 14 - 81.5kg

I was an absolute glutton over the weekend though so might see a rise this week!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - Away
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg
    22/02 Week 8 - Forgot
    01/03 Week 9 - 83.2kg
    08/03 Week 10 - 83.2kg
    15/03 Week 11 - 82.8kg
    22/03 Week 12 - 82.5kg
    29/03 Week 13 - 82.2kg
    05/04 Week 14 - 81.5kg

I was an absolute glutton over the weekend though so might see a rise this week!
    I like your style! Weighing in on Fridays before the weekend! 2 days of bad eating should be easy to get rid of before the Friday if your good during the week.

I'm not arguing against the benefits of exercise. I'm saying that 30mins 3 times a week of light exercise, or a bit of tao chi before work isn't going to make a big impact in obesity problem.
    The difference it makes is minor compared to diet.

Yes I get what your say and it's true but I'm saying it helps mentally to do light exercise which will help people feel better and make better choices etc. So the benefits of exercise are greater that the few calories it burns at the time of doing it.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg
    Week 12 94.3kg

Total weight loss 9.1kg

I think I lost more than the 0.6 this week but have suffered with a bit of constipation. Shame because I was aiming to break 10kg and have a blow out booze and chinese food Fest when I broke that barrier. Hopefully next week;)

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb
    Week 3 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 4 23st 8lb

Still waiting on that sort of "Air Punch" weigh in, however, i ate too much on Sunday & had to undo that damage, plus I'm facing into Run 10 of 42 of Couch to 10k tonight & am feeling like im toning up from that too, so i'm happy with this.

• Advertisement

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb
    Week 3 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 4 23st 8lb

Still waiting on that sort of "Air Punch" weigh in, however, i ate too much on Sunday & had to undo that damage, plus I'm facing into Run 10 of 42 of Couch to 10k tonight & am feeling like im toning up from that too, so i'm happy with this.
    great job. Amazing you can do a bit of running, I can't run 100 yards:pac: if you keep at the running a loose loads of weight at the same time you'll have very strong running legs because they are used to carrying around all the weight.

great job. Amazing you can do a bit of running, I can't run 100 yards:pac: if you keep at the running a loose loads of weight at the same time you'll have very strong running legs because they are used to carrying around all the weight.

Thanks Tony, the couch to 5k / couch to 10k App is my saviour, I just get the instructions in my earphones via the App as i plod along and its working. big jump tonight going from 3 minutes continuous up to 5 but so far so good.

Thanks Tony, the couch to 5k / couch to 10k App is my saviour, I just get the instructions in my earphones via the App as i plod along and its working. big jump tonight going from 3 minutes continuous up to 5 but so far so good.

Jesus man, that's amazing. Well done.

Jesus man, that's amazing. Well done.

Cheers Dunne, tonight is the most excercise ive done in 10 years! 25% of the way now towards doing my 10k run in June.

Week 1: 15st 1.6lb
    Week 2: 14st 12.6lb

Week 3: N/A

Week 4: N/A

Week 5: 14st 9.6lb

Week 6: 14st 6.8lb

Had two weeks in that time where I could barely move without pain after pulling a muscle in my ribs. No exercise classes, no walking even. Finally getting on top of calorie counting now, and the clothes are getting a bit looser too :)

Week 7: 14st 7.8lb
    Week 8: 14st 3.8lb (had a slip last week so I really upped the ante this week :pac:)

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!
    Week 9 - 94.8
    Week 10 - hols
    Week 11 - afraid to check

Back to the Friday weigh ins.

Week 12 Friday 94.5

Week 13 94.3.

Doing a lot of weight training so building good bit of muscle which I think makes the weight loss slower. Looking a lot different to week 1.

Week 13 94.3.

Doing a lot of weight training so building good bit of muscle which I think makes the weight loss slower. Looking a lot different to week 1.

Well done. You're building muscle and losing fat. It's all the same to the scales though! I'm actually going to ditch the scales when I get down to around 13 and a half stone. I'll just go by how I look, how my clothes fit, and how fit I feel.

I'm loving cardio in the morning (classes/skipping) on a fairly empty stomach (banana and peanut butter maybe, with a cup of coffee), and circuits/strength training in the evening. Just moving as much as possible is great too. I'd actually love to take up dancing, and get some lessons, but I'm a bit shy about it! It must be a great fat/calorie burner. I think from the skipping and some boxing moves, I'm really appreciating the benefits of being light on my feet. A lot less aches and pains in the legs these days as a result.

Week 1 - Start: 105.8 End: 103.2

Edit: Water weight of course but always nice!

My new active lifestyle and eating less has caught up with me in the last week. I was feeling great and then I got run down, overdoing things in the garden and got a really bad dose of Flu. I got it last Wednesday and I'm still in bits. I've only eaten 1 dinner and maybe 8 slices of toast since then.
    Anyway the reason I'm telling you this is I recommend you all go get the flu jab and start taking a good complete multivitamin. I've never been so sick and going forward will get the jab every September.
    Haven't weighted in but I'm guessing I've lost a lot of weight.

• Advertisement

My new active lifestyle and eating less has caught up with me in the last week. I was feeling great and then I got run down, overdoing things in the garden and got a really bad dose of Flu. I got it last Wednesday and I'm still in bits. I've only eaten 1 dinner and maybe 8 slices of toast since then.
    Anyway the reason I'm telling you this is I recommend you all go get the flu jab and start taking a good complete multivitamin. I've never been so sick and going forward will get the jab every September.
    Haven't weighted in but I'm guessing I've lost a lot of weight.

Hope you feel better soon mate! I take a multivitamin twice a day myself and am not prone to illness so hopefully it continues.

Must be a bad dose to last this long.

Advertisement