Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have fallen off the wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

redzerdrog wrote: »

Just hop back again. It really is that easy. I've fallen off the wagon dozens of times, it's just a matter of deciding how temporary it is and not letting it completely reset what you've already done.

Best thing I've found is to go for a walk/run or go to the gym. Nothing will lift you back up on that wagon like some endorphins and dopamine, and they don't cost anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Kilboor wrote: »
    Hope you feel better soon mate! I take a multivitamin twice a day myself and am not prone to illness so hopefully it continues.

Must be a bad dose to last this long.

Multivitamins make for expensive piss

The best thing to do is eat a well balanced and varied diet. Never rely or substitute on pills for proper nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

McCrack wrote: »

The best thing to do is eat a well balanced and varied diet. Never rely or substitute on pills for proper nutrition

I always felt the same but I like even the placebo effect and I am usually gifted them by a relative who works in a pharmacy.

I use them as a "might as well take extra" not as a substitute ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

redzerdrog wrote: »

The people who come out the other side with everything to show haven't stayed on the wagon, they've just made sure to climb back on.

I often slip and have had the mentality that I may as well keep slipping this week, starting again the following Monday, but it really slows me down mentally and motivationally.

You're only human like the rest of us, don't be hard on yourself and remember why you're here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If my fitness Pal is anything to go but it's almost impossible to get in the levels of some vitamins and minerals with any diet. I've never once gotten enough iron registered in a day with it.
    They don't have to be expensive either I use Tesco multivitamin and mineral effervescent tablets 3 for 2 at the moment. €2.80 a pack of 20 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb
    Week 3 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 4 23st 8lb
    Week 5 23st 2 1/2 lb

Everything going well, ive dropped my Daily Calorie allowance on My FitnessPal to 1800 and am not afraid of it.

The couch to 10K challenge still going well too, 13 runs done now out of 42.

I'm a little worried about the challenges Easter will put in my way, e.g 4 days at home out of my daily routine, having to go out for a family dinner / get together on Saturday night, Chocolate temptations everywhere all weekend, but Bring it on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mate, you're absolutely smashing it so far. Fair f*cks to you! Don't worry about the family meal/being home. It won't ruin the work you've done so far, or the work yet to come. These events tend to happen from time to time. Enjoy it (without going absolutely batsh*t crazy), then get back into the swing of things straight away. It'll end up barely being a blip in terms of your progress.

Penn wrote: »
    Mate, you're absolutely smashing it so far. Fair f*cks to you! Don't worry about the family meal/being home. It won't ruin the work you've done so far, or the work yet to come. These events tend to happen from time to time. Enjoy it (without going absolutely batsh*t crazy), then get back into the swing of things straight away. It'll end up barely being a blip in terms of your progress.

Cheers Penn and youre right, I wont get too caught up about it as Its not meals out or functions that have done me the harm, its the multiple takeaways each week and daily terrible lunch choices that have me where I'm at.
    Im changing up little tiny things that have big benefits, e.g Drinking Black coffee as i couldnt be a*rsed trying to log Milky Coffee on the App!! and now after a few days of black coffee, its actually just as nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mostly they do but not to be excluded if required. There are also age-related issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 8lbs
    14st 5lbs

Ok nowhere near as bad as I feared. Stepped on scales this morning for first time in 3 weeks and was 14st 2lbs. Have been eating copious amounts of chocolate and sweets lately so feared the worse.

Back to making the small choices the better choice again and will see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Week 1 24st 1lb
    Week 2 24st 0lb
    Week 3 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 4 23st 8lb
    Week 5 23st 2 1/2 lb

Everything going well, ive dropped my Daily Calorie allowance on My FitnessPal to 1800 and am not afraid of it.

The couch to 10K challenge still going well too, 13 runs done now out of 42.

I'm a little worried about the challenges Easter will put in my way, e.g 4 days at home out of my daily routine, having to go out for a family dinner / get together on Saturday night, Chocolate temptations everywhere all weekend, but Bring it on :-)

Amazing work. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I can't wait for Easter to be over: too much chocolate temptation! I'm on the salads from next week, especially if the good weather continues.

I can't wait for Easter to be over: too much chocolate temptation! I'm on the salads from next week, especially if the good weather continues.

Should be on the salads from today 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Decided to take some proper action on losing weight so re-downloaded MFP and started tracking everything.

I’m now 4 weeks in, I’ve lost 6kg out of my target of 14kg, and more importantly starting to feel much better.

I’m enjoying the challenge of cooking food that’s tasty yet calorie controlled. I’d never paid a huge amount of attention to calories before, so the last 4 weeks have been eye-opening. I’m also really looking forward to roast lamb dinner tomorrow :)

Kilboor wrote: »
    Should be on the salads from today ��

Should be a lot of things! :pac: I can't eat salads, or any cold food, in cold weather: I just can't do it. Hope this weather lasts.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg
    Week 12 94.3kg
    Week 13 no weigh in
    Week 14 92.2

Total weight loss 11.2kg

Illness helped with the weighy loss but I'd though I'd lost more from it, I hardly eat for over a week. Anyway I can see the 90kg mark on the horizon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Question all for those of you familiar with myFitnessPal,

Im 5ft 11 currently 217lbs so my BMR is 1,946 and the daily sedentary consumption allowance is 2,336 calories,

I create a deficit of 500 calories so leaves me at 1,836 calories per day to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week,

I input my daily calories from foods into myFitnessPal for my 3 meals at or below 1,836 calories consumed a day,

On the days I exercise and input the data to myFitnessPal for say a 30 minute run im given an additional 490 calories on top of the 1,836...

Does this mean I can eat the extra 490 calories and still be a deficit for the week or is it best to ignore those additional calories gained?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

corcaigh1 wrote: »

Im 5ft 11 currently 217lbs so my BMR is 1,946 calories or sedentary consumtion is 2,336

I create a deficit of 500 calories so leaves me at 1,836 calories per day to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week...

I input my daily calories from foods into myFitnessPal for my 3 meals at or below 1,856 calories consumed a day.

On the days I exercise and input the data to myFitnessPal for say a 30 minute run im given an additional 490 calories on top of the 1,836.

Does this mean I can eat the extra 490 calories and still be a deficit for the week or is it best to ignore those additional calories gained?

I'd ignore the MFP calculations of calories burned. Usually way overestimated. You don't have to ignore them but divide by a minimum of 2 as actual calories burned

I'd ignore the MFP calculations of calories burned. Usually way overestimated. You don't have to ignore them but divide by a minimum of 2 as actual calories burned

Yeah I was thinking the given calories are surely over estimated. Best to ignore so then! Cheers Alf

• Advertisement

Im 5ft 11 currently 217lbs so my BMR is 1,946 or the daily sedentary consumtion allowance is 2,336 calories,

I create a deficit of 500 calories so leaves me at 1,836 calories per day to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week,

I input my daily calories from foods into myFitnessPal for my 3 meals at or below 1,836 calories consumed a day,

On the days I exercise and input the data to myFitnessPal for say a 30 minute run im given an additional 490 calories on top of the 1,836...

If your still looking for room to eat more I'd be looking at what your eating. 3 meals a day for me when I'm being healthy is about 12 or 13 hundred calories. I'd say aim to keep your meals between 4-500 calories and you should be able to have 4 meals a day and then you will take the exercise as a bonus loss as you won't feel like you need more food.
    Educate yourself on good foods and you shouldn't have a problem staying below 1800 a day, but don't Starve yourself and make yourself eat stuff you don't like it's a sure fire way of quitting before you start. Instead of a temporary diet find a new way of eating for life, otherwise you'll just gain it all back when you've reached your goal if you get that far.
    Good luck and if you need help on meal choices just ask, and I won't make you eat quinoa and crap like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

490 cals for a 30 minute run isn't really overestimating at all.
    For a guy of 98kg, it exactly 5km.

The main issue with MFP exercise is that it doesn't discount the 50cals he'd have burned if didn't go for a run. This becomes factor on longer less intense sessions.
    And also there's the issue with people tending to overestimate their intensity with no point of reference.

Started at 24st 1lb
    Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb

I am happy with a 1lb loss as I had a lovely Easter break and didn't deny myself.
    Looking forward to this week, having lunch out today and dinner out tomorrow night, Then I have a solid 5 days Fri - Tues to make sure that next Wednesday I'm weighing under 23stone for first time in about 4 years.

Im 5ft 11 currently 217lbs so my BMR is 1,946 or the daily sedentary consumtion allowance is 2,336 calories,

Yeah with MFP tending to over-estimate calories burned (though I've mine linked to my Fitbit which measures heartrate etc so I'd tend to consider it more accurate), I tended to just ignore the calories burned from exercise altogether and just consider it a bonus. Just stuck to what my calorie limit for the day was anyway without the exercise and it'd mean the calories burned from exercise was a bonus that would increase weightloss, rather than allowing myself to eat more because I'd done some exercise.

Of course, it's still important to make sure you're still getting all the energy you need from your food too so as you're not operating at too much of a deficit. It can be a hard juggling act but I'm sure you'll find the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    490 cals for a 30 minute run isn't really overestimating at all.
    For a guy of 98kg, it exactly 5km.

For the most part and from my own experience of plugging in numbers out of interest, it was way off.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah with MFP tending to over-estimate calories burned (though I've mine linked to my Fitbit which measures heartrate etc so I'd tend to consider it more accurate), I tended to just ignore the calories burned from exercise altogether and just consider it a bonus. Just stuck to what my calorie limit for the day was anyway without the exercise and it'd mean the calories burned from exercise was a bonus that would increase weightloss, rather than allowing myself to eat more because I'd done some exercise.

Of course, it's still important to make sure you're still getting all the energy you need from your food too so as you're not operating at too much of a deficit. It can be a hard juggling act but I'm sure you'll find the balance.

Yeah thats something im a little confused about...

So my daily allowance is 1,836 calories. I will ignore my exercise and not input that data to myFitnessPal...

But say...

2,336 Calories x 7 = 16,352 calories per week
    500 Deficit x 7 = 3,500 calories per week @ 1lbs of fat loss

If I get in my runs and weights every week and burn say an extra 1,750 calories per week.

Is that an extra 0.5lbs so a guaranteed total of 1.5lbs burned off or is the body different for everybody in terms of weekly fat burning etc?

Also how important is it to stick to the macros on myFitnessPal daily i.e Carbs 50% Fat 30% Protein 20%

Yeah thats something im a little confused about...

So my daily allowance is 1,836 calories. I will ignore my exercise and not input that data to myFitnessPal...

But say...

2,336 Calories x 7 = 16,352 calories per week
    500 Deficit x 7 = 3,500 calories per week @ 1lbs of fat loss

If I get in my runs and weights every week and burn say an extra 1,750 calories per week.

Is that an extra 0.5lbs so a guaranteed total of 1.5lbs burned off or is the body different for everybody in terms of weekly fat burning etc?

Also how important is it to stick to the macros on myFitnessPal daily i.e Carbs 50% Fat 30% Protein 20%

Theoretically, yes, your math above should result in a 1.5lb loss over a week.

However, it's never that exact, and very minor things can tip the scales one way or another. Even the calculations to say you need 2,336 calories a day are based on general calculations, not personal ones. People can be plus or minus a few hundred calories either way. The figures are just a general guideline; a target to aim for. It's only really after a few weeks where you can look at averages of your results and see how you're tracking.

The numbers are vital to success imo, but at the same time the numbers, in terms of calories in, calories out, and even your weigh-in aren't always going to be exact (even being consistent with when and how you weigh yourself can't account for fluctuations in water retention, when you last went to the toilet and how much etc). Use the numbers as a general guide and after a few weeks you'll be able to see how you're tracking.

As for the macros, they're not hugely vital, but it's good to keep somewhat of a balance. Again, it's a general guide to aim for, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you're planning your meals around it too much. I set mine to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat and just used it as a guide. Most days I probably do get closer to 50% carbs, but it's nothing to worry about. If I'm hitting 60 or 70%, then I'd know I needed to get a better balance in what I was eating.

Missedlast weeks update.

Week 1: 105.8/103.2
    Week 2: 105?

Started this week (week 3) on 105, 104.8 today, the long weekend was not kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For the most part and from my own experience of plugging in numbers out of interest, it was way off.

For something with a subjective element, say 30mins swimming/boxing/rowing. Yeah, they'll pull some numbers that most likely corresponds with athletes.
    But running seems to be one it gets close enough. Possibly because running is less subjective. Either you ran 5km or you didn't.

• Advertisement

Week 1: 15st 1.6lb
    Week 2: 14st 12.6lb
    Week 3: N/A
    Week 4: N/A
    Week 5: 14st 9.6lb
    Week 6: 14st 6.8lb
    Week 7: 14st 7.8lb
    Week 8: 14st 3.8lb (had a slip last week so I really upped the ante this week :pac:)

Week 9: 14st 4lb
    Week 10: 14st 4lb

For the past 2 weeks I have plateaued. Now I'm thinking this is because my body needs less calories than at the start, so I need to reduce them even more (starting today!).

Also, for the past 3 weeks I have upped the classes, so I am doing circuits 6 times a week, as well as skipping 3-4 times a week for half an hour: is it possible that I am putting on muscle and this is why I'm not losing weight for the past few weeks? (please say yes! :p) The pants are feeling looser, even if the scales don't reflect this.

Advertisement