Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

How much calories you are taking per day? As compared to tough workouts, I prefer to cut off my calories intake and it works.

I was taking up to 1400 -300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 500 for dinner - and then 200 for going astray :p

This is easy enough to stick to - and actually 300 is quite a lot for me at breakfast also because of my age I'm thinking I probably need less so I am looking at cutting out the 200 above - I reckong I eat about 1800 calories a day normally, I take steroid medication so I find it particularly difficult to lose weight so I'm exercising too, walking and exercise bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Decided to take some proper action on losing weight so re-downloaded MFP and started tracking everything.

I’m now 4 weeks in, I’ve lost 6kg out of my target of 14kg, and more importantly starting to feel much better.

I’m enjoying the challenge of cooking food that’s tasty yet calorie controlled. I’d never paid a huge amount of attention to calories before, so the last 4 weeks have been eye-opening. I’m also really looking forward to roast lamb dinner tomorrow :)

Currently at 9kg lost from my initial 14kg target. May has been a challenging month as I’ve had two weddings and other social events in the diary. So while the rate of loss has slowed, I’m still pleased overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Week 1: 15st 1.6lb
    Week 2: 14st 12.6lb
    Week 3: N/A
    Week 4: N/A
    Week 5: 14st 9.6lb
    Week 6: 14st 6.8lb
    Week 7: 14st 7.8lb
    Week 8: 14st 3.8lb

Week 9: 14st 4lb
    Week 10: 14st 4lb
    Week 11: 14st 1lb
    Week 12:

Week 13:

Week 14: 13st 11lb

Took a break from weighting myself for a couple of weeks there, but still lost 4lbs :) I'm down 18.6 lbs in approximately 3 months, so I'm happy with that.

Starting 94kg
    Week 1: 94kg
    Week 2: 94kg

OK so it's slow going. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Pretzill wrote: »
    Starting 94kg

OK so it's slow going. :-)

Same here been the same for 3 weeks, but not giving up, keep it going...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Things haven't been great the last few weeks. I'm afraid to weight in:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

iamtony wrote: »
    Things haven't been great the last few weeks. I'm afraid to weight in:o

It's only a bump in the road. Write it off, and get going again :)

Currently at 9kg lost from my initial 14kg target. May has been a challenging month as I’ve had two weddings and other social events in the diary. So while the rate of loss has slowed, I’m still pleased overall.

Hit 10kg lost today, so feeling quite quietly pleased with things. Will have to buy new jeans soon enough

Hit 10kg lost today, so feeling quite quietly pleased with things. Will have to buy new jeans soon enough

That's a great feeling. Just put 10kg into perspective and if is shocking. A large 10kg(which you rarely even see anymore)bag of potatoes. 10 bags of sugar. 10 litres of milk, 32 packs of sausages. Well done.

week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg
    Week 12 94.3kg
    Week 13 no weigh in
    Week 14 92.2
    Week 15 no weigh in
    Week 16 no weigh in
    Week 17 90.8kg
    Week 17 no weigh in
    Week 19 no weigh in
    Week 20 92.8

Total weight loss 10.6kg

I'm weighing in at half 11 after 6 cans of beer, hopefully this is temporary! I'll try for a more regular weigh in. It's funny how we(me anyway) know we aren't doing well and avoid the scales. I think consistency and accountability are key. Ignorance is bliss:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Fair play Tony, youre flying it!! you've inspired me to come out from hiding!!

Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb
    Week 7 22st 8lb
    Week 8 22st 6 1/2 lb
    Week 9 22st 4lb
    Week 10 Did not Weigh
    Week 11 22st 8lb

My current food intake isn't back at the old habits but is still a bit all over the place, not logging / tracking on MFP is no.1 issue.

I'm still training for this 10k and its going great but the night time training makes a mess of my food routine. I come in and eat whatever is in sight when im waiting on dinner to heat up and this would be 9.30pm (far too late to be eating).

Once this 10k race is out of the way (its on in 10 days time) im going to start stage 2 of my weight loss journey as i will call it - I'll be going to gym in the morning before work having gained some confidence back and eat my daily calorie allowance via a regular routine minus the distraction of not being able to eat dinner until i get my run out of the way, etc etc.

Starting 94kg
    Week 3: 93.5kg

It's only a pound but I'm taking it, particularly as I wasn't a bit good over the long weekend, however I'm sticking to 3 meals a day and not eating after dinner until breakfast. So I haven't really felt any deprivation yet - will try harder this week though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg
    Week 7 - missed
    Week 8 - 96.0!
    Week 9 - 94.8
    Week 10 - hols
    Week 11 - afraid to check
    Week 12 Friday 94.5
    Week 13 94.0
    Week 14 94.0

Stuck for now. Off on Holidays to Ibiza next weekend, will try to be good!

Week 20 93.8

Big changes in lifestyle despite the scales not showing it.

6th week of being vegetarian, finding it very easy so far. Running 2 x 5k's a week now, have never been able to do one before. Body composition completely different to when I first started. Doing body weight training 2 x a week too.

Turns out it is definitely not all about the scales at all!

Starting 94kg
    Week 3: 93.5kg (-.5kg)
    Week 4: 93kg (-.5kg)

That's brilliant Insta I was toying with the idea of going vegetarian - I didn't eat meat for years when I was younger and I really don't eat much of it now. I'd say the 2X5K a week is a real help too. I'm cycling on an exercise bike but it's slow to move for me. Really slow...

I slipped on some steps last week end I fractured my fibula. So I’m looking at 8-12 weeks on crutches. I’m currently on mandatory rest for the first week so as to let the healing process start.

As a result, I’m watching my calories even more closely, as I’m not going to be as active or the next period. Hopefully, I can keep the momentum going, even if at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

I slipped on some steps last week end I fractured my fibula. So I’m looking at 8-12 weeks on crutches. I’m currently on mandatory rest for the first week so as to let the healing process start.

As a result, I’m watching my calories even more closely, as I’m not going to be as active or the next period. Hopefully, I can keep the momentum going, even if at a slower pace.

Speedy recovery dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Joined a gym for the first time ever a couple of months ago .
    I weighted myself around 10 weeks ago .
    Got a bit of a shock .
    Weighted in at 16.5 stone .
    Cut out 90% of my intake of chocolate / biscuits/ take away .
    At first I could only do 5 mins on treadmill and 5 on bike .
    Have built it up to 15 .
    Have lost 2 stones so far .
    Have far more energy .
    My target weight is 14 stone .
    The hardest weight to shift is around my belly , but I'm getting there .
    Any tips from gym guys on how to tone up stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Joined a gym for the first time ever a couple of months ago .
    I weighted myself around 10 weeks ago .
    Got a bit of a shock .
    Weighted in at 16.5 stone .
    Cut out 90% of my intake of chocolate / biscuits/ take away .
    At first I could only do 5 mins on treadmill and 5 on bike .
    Have built it up to 15 .
    Have lost 2 stones so far .
    Have far more energy .
    My target weight is 14 stone .
    The hardest weight to shift is around my belly , but I'm getting there .
    Any tips from gym guys on how to tone up stomach?

Keep doing what you're doing. You can't make your body she'd fat from where you want to lose it from so keep losing and it will start to go from your stomach eventually.

Well done on great results so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Gym I joined has a lovely pool.
    I do one hour in the gym .
    Treadmill for 15 mins , doing a quick walk.
    15 mins on bike .
    30 mins on weights .
    The treat is I spend an hour in the pool area after.
    I try to stay in steam room for 15 mins.
    As with everything I think it's important to treat yourself if your doing something right.
    My diet was 20% correct ..80% wrong.
    To much eating the wrong food at the wrong time .
    Now it's 80% correct ....20% wrong.
    I love my chocolate / takeaways.
    I would be lying if I said I would stop both .... Life's to short not to have some bad habits

• Advertisement

Feck sake. So Ive tried do the keto diet numerous times well more of a "Dirty Keto" I feel fantastic mentally and physically eating meats and veg only and get great results like dropping a stone in around a month.

My problem is I always end up on a phase of binge eating then after a few weeks of keto or even just dieting in general with a monster carb session on take away pizzas, chipper takeaway, chinese takeway, breakfast rolls and cakes for breakfast etc etc for about a week or so. Makes me feel like absolute sh*te but I still crave it for some reason and then boom of course the weight lost is straight back on and more. Happened the last week or so and now its the first time I've seen myself over 16 stone and it all seems to go the the gut...why do I do it to myself, awful!

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Feck sake. So Ive tried do the keto diet numerous times well more of a "Dirty Keto" I feel fantastic mentally and physically eating meats and veg only and get great results like dropping a stone in around a month.

My problem is I always end up on a phase of binge eating then after a few weeks of keto or even just dieting in general with a monster carb session on take away pizzas, chipper takeaway, chinese takeway, breakfast rolls and cakes for breakfast etc etc for about a week or so. Makes me feel like absolute sh*te but I still crave it for some reason and then boom of course the weight lost is straight back on and more. Happened the last week or so and now its the first time I've seen myself over 16 stone and it all seems to go the the gut...why do I do it to myself, awful!
    do you have a cheat day? I look forward to my cheat day and it helps knowing I can eat like a savage one day/meal a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

When I was on Keto I carb cycled for dinner on a Saturday, worked a treat and was back in keto in a day. Ploughed a massive pizza down usually but I’d be in bits after ! Worked nonetheless and I looked forward to the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BizBen

Hi, I found the best way to keep weight off is to cut down on free sugars (sugar added to biscuits, breads, processed foods etc) - you can still get your sugars from fruit etc, and cut down on alcohol if you are drinker, pints can be very fattening. Also, make sure there aren't any foods that are causing you to bloat etc. such as gluten or lactose. Oats are a great start to the day and can keep you full for hours. That's diet.

As far as exercise goes, for years I've been working out, maybe once a week, high intensity i.e. about a 4k run, interspersed with a couple of sprints, followed by some upper body work - all in all about an hour once a week. This form of exercise suits me and was much more effective in weight loss than long distance running (I used to do 10Ks) - when I started it I tried to replicate the workout I'd get when I played football - jogging and sprinting. Also, as part of the upper body work, I found that keeping your upper body muscles built up moderately helps. During the week I also walk about a bit, but nothing mad - so I'd recommend this, for example, walking to the shops, train etc. any excuse on a daily basis.

So in summary, my advice would be to cut out the free sugars and alcohol (at least until the weekend) and go for a short high intensity workout at least once a week and in between try and do some walkiing daily. Obviously, start off slow and don't do to much too soon. Good luck.

iamtony wrote: »
    do you have a cheat day? I look forward to my cheat day and it helps knowing I can eat like a savage one day/meal a week.

Would have a cheat meal once a week like a chinese but again I've found it can throw me off after a few weeks where I will continue with a binge of eating takeaways then for a week or so! Maybe I should stick to a strict keto and not have a cheat meal...

When I was on Keto I carb cycled for dinner on a Saturday, worked a treat and was back in keto in a day. Ploughed a massive pizza down usually but I’d be in bits after ! Worked nonetheless and I looked forward to the weekends.

Yeah I guess its worth doing if you have the will power to keep to only your one cheat meal/day, its amazing how great you feel with keto but as soon as you go back to eating large amounts of carbs you feel terrible but yet your body almost craves carbs. I don't think our bodies were primed for all the carbs and sugars in todays western diet...

Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb
    Week 7 22st 8lb
    Week 8 22st 6 1/2 lb
    Week 9 22st 4lb
    Week 10 Did not Weigh
    Week 11 22st 8lb
    Week 12 Did not Weigh
    Week 13 22st 8lb

Did my 10k Race at the weekend, almost 1hr 20 mins but very happy to just complete it.
    Ready to start stage 2 of this plan now.
    After reading up a lot about it both here and elsewhere online, Im starting 16 / 8 Intermittent fasting (Feeding window 11am to 7pm) from today & starting daily weekday morning Gym sessions from Monday. hoping to push on now. I dont think this is a drastic move- more so a plan to control my evening grazing and avoiding late dinners, I just need to be more organised.

Would have a cheat meal once a week like a chinese but again I've found it can throw me off after a few weeks where I will continue with a binge of eating takeaways then for a week or so! Maybe I should stick to a strict keto and not have a cheat meal...

Yeah I guess its worth doing if you have the will power to keep to only your one cheat meal/day, its amazing how great you feel with keto but as soon as you go back to eating large amounts of carbs you feel terrible but yet your body almost craves carbs. Saying that imo our bodies are really not primed for all the carbs and sugars in todays western diet...

I dont think i have the will power to keep it to one cheat meal, im going to try Weekend fakeaways for a while, some nice recipies on pinch of nom website.

Before the accident, I was at a loss of 10kg. I weighed myself recently and it’s currently at 11.5kg gone. Great to see that it’s still working!

I hadn’t weighed myself while in the cast, as I didn't know how much it weighed. But then I got fitted with an air walker boot which I was able to take off and weigh separately.

Week 1 24st 0lb
    Week 2 23st 11 1/2 lb
    Week 3 23st 8lb
    Week 4 23st 2 1/2 lb
    Week 5 23st 1 1/2 lb
    Week 6 23st 2lb
    Week 7 22st 8lb
    Week 8 22st 6 1/2 lb
    Week 9 22st 4lb
    Week 10 Did not Weigh
    Week 11 22st 8lb
    Week 12 Did not Weigh
    Week 13 22st 8lb
    Week 14 Did not Weigh
    Week 15 22st 5lb

Gym plans parked for a while and im just going to keep the head down for a few weeks & get a good run at Intermittent fasting 16 / 8.

• Advertisement

Starting 94kg
    Week 3: 93.5kg (-.5kg)
    Week 4: 93kg (-.5kg)
    Week 5:?
    Week 6:?
    Week 7: 92.6kg (-.4)

Still going very slowly but after two weeks not keeping an eye on any calories glad to be down even if it's only negligible - :)

Advertisement