Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MMyers wrote: »
    Best training for losing weight is boxfit classes. You don't need to know how to box, but hitting the bags is an excellent and fun way to burn calories and do a form of cardio that doesn't involve a tredmill

You might find it the best. A lot of people might have no interest. Same way as a lot of people might have no interest in running. Best exercise for weight loss is the one you enjoy doing because you'll do it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

You might find it the best. A lot of people might have no interest. Same way as a lot of people might have no interest in running. Best exercise for weight loss is the one you enjoy doing because you'll do it regularly.

I love stair climbing.

Not simulated stair climbing, but actually running up stairs.

Its great fun and gives a good work out.

As you say, each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Didn't make it to the gym last night as the wife got called away. Instead I got the kids to bed and did a circuit of kettlebell work at home. Downloaded a good interval timer app. Did 30 seconds on 30 seconds off with squats, kettlebell swings, good mornings etc. For ten minutes, rested three minutes and went again. Did a bit of core and arm work after. The whole lot took 30 minutes. My fitbit tells me it burned 300 kcal. Hitting the treadmill tonight and minding the grub the whole time. Will weigh myself at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It's cycling for me! On the exercise bike with a few good tunes and I enjoy it. It isn't great for upper body so I do arm exercises at the same time. I find the low impact helps my creaking joints. I would love swimming too but I can't fit that in everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

sKeith wrote: »
    I love stair climbing.

Not simulated stair climbing, but actually running up stairs.

Its great fun and gives a good work out.

As you say, each to their own though.

I can run for days but stairs still have me panting, it just goes to show you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I can run for days but stairs still have me panting, it just goes to show you!

Typically when people do an unfamilar cardio activity hey go off at too hard a pace and burn off quicker compare with an exercise they are more used to.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Starting 94kg
    Went up to: 95kg (with a few ups and downs inbetween)

Down to 90Kg today was hoping to get back into the 80's but that's for next week. Doing a lot more exercise and feeling a lot better, I know it will be slow but I'm prepared for it now.

87kg today feeling a lot more positive with over a stone gone - I'm digging in now with the run up to Christmas hoping to lose another 2kg at least which would round it off at a 10kg loss going into 2020. Still a long way to go but feeling healthier.

^^
    One week later and I am 85 - that's a 10kg loss so far. I'm beginning to notice it too - I feel much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

^^
    One week later and I am 85 - that's a 10kg loss so far. I'm beginning to notice it too - I feel much better.
    Well done! I wish I could get into the zone. I'm at my heaviest ever.

iamtony wrote: »
    Well done! I wish I could get into the zone. I'm at my heaviest ever.

It's all about getting in the zone alright. The only thing that's keeping me going is the promise of treats over Christmas. I still have another 20kg to lose so I'm still fat but not as sick of it...

• Advertisement

It's all about getting in the zone alright. The only thing that's keeping me going is the promise of treats over Christmas. I still have another 20kg to lose so I'm still fat but not as sick of it...

Yeah I've been their a few times and felt great then take the eye off the ball and I presume this is where yoyo dieting comes from. I know how
    Good it feels and still at the moment I pick the bad foods everytime it's very strange how the brain works.

Yeah I've been their a few times and felt great then take the eye off the ball and I presume this is where yoyo dieting comes from. I know how
    Good it feels and still at the moment I pick the bad foods everytime it's very strange how the brain works.

Sometimes, for me, it doesn't.

I put up two stone when I gave up the cigs two years ago - I didn't even see the weight (but I felt it) - I never diet but I'm learning now to just be a lot more careful. I'm low calorie at the moment, so it's a gaurantee to lose weight - But because I was weighty before I gave up, I still have more to lose - I don't want to fall into that yoyo way. I want to just implement small changes that will last. For instance I haven't eaten, cakes, bread or biscuits in weeks - and I have cut out alcohol. I haven't missed these.

Just cut out one thing from your weekly diet (I don't believe there are bad foods, I think we just eat too much food)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

MMyers wrote: »
    Best training for losing weight is boxfit classes. You don't need to know how to box, but hitting the bags is an excellent and fun way to burn calories and do a form of cardio that doesn't involve a tredmill

Nope. The best training for losing weight is keeping your mouth closed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does weighing before or after the morning bowel movement make much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gael23 wrote: »

Again, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Obly if you've had 2 kebabs for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Was with a cardiologist recently (all good).

They were a tad overweight themselves but had lost just over a stone in the preceeding 6 weeks.

They weighed themselves daily instead of weekly, once the trend was going the right direction they knew they were on track, rather than weighing once a week and being depressed or stressed about it.

I'm about 2lb lighter than the start of the this year myself but waist is down an inch and arms have gained over an inch.

BMI still at 26/7 so will pick it up in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best exercise for weight loss is walking briskly past the chipper.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg
    Week 5 97.9kg
    Week 6 97.8kg
    Week 7 98.6kg
    Week 8 no weigh in
    Week 9 no weigh in
    Week 10 97.2kg
    Week 11 94.9kg
    Week 12 94.3kg
    Week 13 no weigh in
    Week 14 92.2
    Week 15 no weigh in
    Week 16 no weigh in
    Week 17 90.8kg

Total weight loss 12.6kg

Didn't weigh in for a few weeks, was getting the sitting room done up and the Wii U I weigh myself on was unplugged. Diet hasn't been great but I've stayed very active and my watch shows my burning about 700 calories each day. I can now stay active from 7 am till 7 pm no problem, on my feet all day.
    Only 0.8 to reach a goal I thought nearly impossible only a few months ago. Hopefully going to start the cycling again shortly to help get me well below 90kg. My ultimate goal is around 80kg with a bit of muscle tone.
    Week one 107kg:mad:

Gonna be a long road ahead....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

You're not alone.

Don't weigh yourself for at least a week before things get going, Christmas doesn't count !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Let's do this 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm on board.

Weighed myself today and got a shock.

Have 16-17kg (roughly 2.5 stone) to lose.

Since becoming veggie, I'm eating too much bread and cheese. Also, need to knock wine on the head.

Would love to join the group for s bit of moral and mutual support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

This time last year I was 15st 4lbs. I got down to a low of 13st 4lb this year. Currently 13st 6lbs. Exercise classes and diet has gone out the window a bit since mid-December. I want to get down to 12st 7lbs, and I know that if I move more and eat less calories it should be achievable. Of course, overcoming my lack of discipline and self-sabotage will be the real challenge for me in the coming months :p I do a lot of emotional eating especially late night binges, but they are lessening when I remind myself of how **** I feel after them. I'm struggling with a bit of depression and that does affect my ability to exercise and stay motivated, but I'm going to keep ploughing on and hope for the best.

My new year resolutions: drink more water, eat less, move more, relax more, have more fun, try a new fun form of exercise in the new year and learn a new skill.

Good luck to all and happy new year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is my third spin class in three days.

First one was dire, today was ok.

I know people say its 90 per cent food and 10 percent exercise, but I find once I exercise I wont eat crap and I'll sleep better.

I'm really all or nothing person (which can both positive and also an extreme negative) so right now my head is in the game.

Currently looking like an apple on a stick and looking forward to getting back in shape.

Hope a few more going to join!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭mojesius

anewme wrote: »

I know people say its 90 per cent food and 10 percent exercise, but I find once I exercise I wont eat crap and I'll sleep better.

I'm really all or nothing person (which can both positive and also an extreme negative) so right now my head is in the game.

I'm the exact same. Once I start hitting the exercise harder I want better food and less crap.

I have a stone to lose and the only way I can lose it and keep it off is getting out for runs and signing up to 5/10ks. I can't sit there calorie counting, I'll go demented.

Diet wise, I developed a weird addiction to chocolate Brazil nuts last year and have been drinking too often over holidays. Cutting both them out and limiting bread to one slice a day, and switching 'whatevers available' breakfast to low fat yoghurt, bit of granola and fruit, or eggs. I tried the skipping breakfast thing for a bit and was starving later in the day. Prefer to have a decent brekkie, big lunch and a very small dinner.

There has been so many chocolates and cheese in the house recently. 34 calories in one Scots clan toffee FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I lost a some weight in the first half of last year - I didn't weigh myself but was down two notches on the belt at one stage before a series of work trips and holidays undid all the hard work. Some things that helped me the last time with fairly minimal effort were:
    • Making my own lunches. Its very easy to throw together a few salads in lunchboxes on a Sunday that will do you for a few days. Use balsamic vinegar/white wine vinegar and wholegrain mustard for a healthier dressing
    • Always having a healthy snack on hand and eating it at set times. I ate a piece of fruit or some nuts (small portions of nuts, they are calorie dense) at 11am and at 4pm whether I wanted them or not. This put a stop to the extra packet of crisps at lunch or the sneaky trip to the vending machine on the way out the door in work to tide me over til dinner.
    • Cooking large batches of several dinners (curries, stews etc work well), portioning them out and putting them into the freezer. These are healthy ready meals for when you dont want to cook and means you will go to your freezer instead of the takeaway. Do a lot of cooking when you are time-rich and it will pay off when you are time-poor.
    • Swapping cappuccinos for americanos. Seriously the easiest win of the lot - I used to have 2 or 3 cups per day which could amount to around 400 calories - this is almost like eating an extra meal every day!
    • Generally just switching the mindset from thinking about snacks/sweets etc "sure **** it, its only 100 calories, thats only 5% of my recommended daily, be grand" to thinking "that is 100 calories I don't need"

Ready to tear into it again now for the new year again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks Stupidlikeafox- that’s very useful advice. One of my main vices is cappuccinos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Anyone who is feeling disheartened about any weight gain over Christmas, just remember that a pile of it is excess water from all the salty food we munch on over the Christmas and the booze.

I'm up over half a stone myself since the 23rd and I plan on it being back to normal within 2 weeks or so.

No regrets, I had a great time and i'm looking forward to getting the head down now into the New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Anyone who is feeling disheartened about any weight gain over Christmas, just remember that a pile of it is excess water from all the salty food we munch on over the Christmas and the booze.

I'm up over half a stone myself since the 23rd and I plan on it being back to normal within 2 weeks or so.

No regrets, I had a great time and i'm looking forward to getting the head down now into the New Year.

Exactly.

Its near impossible to put on 7 pounds of just fat in over a week, even with Christmas binges.

Few weeks of good diet and movement and we'll all feel like we're back in the swing of it!

Advertisement